Author Topic: Arrested Development  (Read 99227 times)

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Arrested Development - Comedy on BBC2
« Reply #160 on: July 15, 2007, 12:08:31 am »
'I oughta shave your head and make you sit underneath that camera all night, mister.'

Offline Timeless Melody

• Kopite
« Reply #161 on: July 15, 2007, 12:33:31 am »
On a slightly more upbeat note, how cool are these:

I've got one.

Offline Timeless Melody

• Kopite

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #163 on: July 18, 2007, 06:56:25 pm »

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: July 18, 2007, 07:29:58 pm »
I've seen them all now, and they sit proudly on my 'elite' DVD shelf. You have to be extremely good to get on that, believe me.

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #165 on: July 18, 2007, 07:34:58 pm »
I've seen them all now, and they sit proudly on my 'elite' DVD shelf. You have to be extremely good to get on that, believe me.

Where's the 'smug I told you so!' icon?

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: July 18, 2007, 07:49:09 pm »
Where's the 'smug I told you so!' icon?

;D

I can't say I was as impressed with Season 3. Although it probably has some of it's best moments, ironically. Most notably, of course, the 'Analrapist' bit.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #167 on: July 18, 2007, 08:17:20 pm »
;D

I can't say I was as impressed with Season 3. Although it probably has some of it's best moments, ironically. Most notably, of course, the 'Analrapist' bit.

Well, they knew they were getting cancelled and had to jam everything in. But the Little England stuff didn't do much for me.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Emo Phillips

• Master of his domain. Enjoyed a young girl's strange, erotic journey from Milan to Minsk. Resident of MILF Island.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: July 18, 2007, 08:17:59 pm »
But the Little England stuff didn't do much for me.

What, not even the Mary Poppins? ;D
KRAMER: "I'm at 1st and 1st. Wait a minute, how can a street intersect into itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe!"

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #169 on: July 18, 2007, 08:19:36 pm »

What, not even the Mary Poppins? ;D

Okay, the Mary Poppins was excellent, I grant you.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #170 on: July 18, 2007, 11:08:18 pm »
;D

It's easily the weakest of the three series.
And yes, that is the choice clip. Must get some of those business cards made up.
Buster- 'Oh, he was just analraping me...'

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #171 on: July 27, 2007, 11:21:59 am »
Wouldn't be surprised to see some of the cast really take off after AD. Michael Cera (George-Michael) is getting excellent reviews for Superbad and The Great Will Arnett must be the hardest-working man in Hollywood. 7 projects for 2007 alone, with lots more to come. He's the best thing about it, so fair play to him.

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #172 on: July 30, 2007, 07:20:07 pm »
Just started watchinng the second series.  Absolutely quality.  Some genius lines so far and i'm only on the first disc.
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have...

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: July 30, 2007, 07:35:16 pm »
This isn't a VolvO.

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #174 on: July 30, 2007, 07:56:37 pm »
This isn't a VolvO.

Still, I'm glad I didn't spring for a colour copier.

Offline Timeless Melody

• Kopite
« Reply #175 on: August 2, 2007, 12:53:00 pm »

Offline Rob K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #176 on: August 3, 2007, 12:02:07 am »
Just downloaded aquired season 3.  That's my weekends viewing sorted. :)

Offline Rob K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #177 on: August 3, 2007, 06:10:55 pm »
Gob: So, did you see the new Poof?
Michael: [quickly shutting the door] His name’s Gary. And we don’t need any more lawsuits, okay?
Gob: No, I was talking about the magazine... Wait. Gary's gay? Uh-oh. He's gonna think I was coming on to him..

Gob: I should be in this poof!

Tobias: Well, yes, but I’m afraid I prematurely shot my wad on what was supposed to be a dry run, if you will, so now I’m afraid I have something of a mess on my hands.
Michael: It's just there's so many poorly chosen words in that sentence.

Tobias Funke: I blue myself.
Michael Bluth: There has got to be a better way to say that.

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #178 on: August 3, 2007, 06:12:58 pm »
Gob: So, did you see the new Poof?
Michael: [quickly shutting the door] His name’s Gary. And we don’t need any more lawsuits, okay?
Gob: No, I was talking about the magazine... Wait. Gary's gay? Uh-oh. He's gonna think I was coming on to him..

Love the clip of GOB testing his new chair with Gary on his lap  ;D

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: August 3, 2007, 06:32:56 pm »
Love the clip of GOB testing his new chair with Gary on his lap  ;D

I'd kill for that ass!

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #180 on: January 22, 2008, 09:27:01 am »
With AD cold in the ground and The Wire into its last ever season, it seems as good a time as any to post this:

Not to throw a gigantic wet blanket on the state of television, but there's a decent chance that neither the best drama nor the best comedy on television will be back next year.

HBO's "The Wire" and Fox's "Arrested Development" couldn't be any different from each other, but they share one similar trait: relatively speaking, nobody's watching either of them.

(If you care, both shows are on Sundays -- "Arrested Development" at 8: 30 p.m., "The Wire" at 9 p.m.)

Actually, the two series do have shared elements. Both are serialized -- they have intricate, continuing stories. In short-attention-span America, that's a terrible fate, but not necessarily a death sentence -- unless it's combined with smarts.

Both shows are smart.

It's true -- you need to pay attention to both series in order to absorb them fully. In "The Wire," you've got multiple story lines, countless characters and a very complicated overall message. For example, in its second season, "The Wire" essentially became a completely different story, shifting from the drug-riddled Baltimore housing projects to the blue-collar shipping docks, where creator David Simon tackled "the death of the American working class."

Let's see them do that on "The O.C."

In "Arrested Development" there are so many verbal and visual puns it's almost essential to watch the show twice. Last Sunday's episode, which intricately weaved in elements of "A Charlie Brown Christmas," was of particular genius, and the series has, to date, been unmatched in its effort be hysterically smart.

Apparently that plays about as well as a nude "Golden Girls."

Ratings for both series are not good. At HBO, where ratings don't necessarily matter, "The Wire" has yet to be extended for a fourth season. But in the universe of people who actually get HBO, "The Wire" has not caught on. You could argue that the series hasn't been promoted the same way that "The Sopranos" or "Sex and the City" were. But HBO shoulders little blame here. The channel has let Simon, arguably the best writer in television, create his novelistic, dark and intense look at how Baltimore, and by extension, the country, is falling apart. That's just not a chance you're going to get at NBC.

For "Arrested Development," ratings are slightly better than they were last year, when nobody watched. But the series is still hemorrhaging viewers out of "The Simpsons" at an alarming rate. After winning three Emmys -- including the grand prize of outstanding comedy on television -- the payoff has apparently been nil.

And this is where Fox, at least, deserves some blame. You'd think that finally getting an Emmy for a sitcom would unleash the hounds of hype. But instead, it's as if "Arrested Development" has been banished to some dank promotional hole, as if it had slaughtered the cast of "North Shore" and Fox is protecting it from extradition. When "Arrested Development" does get promoted, it's usually the tail end of a big "Simpsons'' push, and the material used is, invariably and mysteriously, none of the funny jokes.

How hard can this be, people? You won an Emmy. For best comedy. You have a show that never fails to produce five or six painful belly laughs per 30 minutes. One of those might entice viewers.

Perhaps the promo department couldn't be pulled away from "My Big Fat Obnoxious Boss" or "Trading Spouses: Meet Your New Mommy." (How'd that work out, anyway?)

Now, in fairness, Fox does get credit for renewing this ratings- challenged series before it got the Emmy. But post-victory gloating right here about the Emmy buying "Arrested Development" a full order this year and probably a third season as well no longer applies. The series will make it through this year and, if there's sense left in the viewing public, ratings will rise. But a third season? Oh, that's rich.

Why does it always have to be this way? Why, in a television world where viewers are forever decrying a lack of quality choices (a mostly untrue assumption), do the innovative, risk-taking, aggressively brilliant shows go unwatched?

Oh, that's easy: The rest of the country has no taste. Forget this notion of red and blue states. That's not the country we live in. We live in a land mass divided into two groups -- those who watch "According to Jim" and those who watch "Arrested Development." That's infinitely more frightening than anything politicians could dream up.

There are two episodes left in the third season of "The Wire." If there's not a fourth season, the reason will be this: "CSI." Yes, the top-rated series on American television has many fine virtues. Enough, obviously, to spin off two series that have also landed, impressively, in the Nielsen Top 20. But the problem with "CSI" is the same problem with every other crime-and-punishment procedural series -- the case is closed in the 59th minute. In our world of instant gratification and failed multitasking, who has time to watch four or five complicated storylines play out over 13 or so weeks?

Apparently, not that many.

There's a crime, there's a perp, he's chased and caught, he's brought to justice. All in less than an hour. That's your standard network television show. In this world, "The Wire" cannot survive. Not even on HBO.

There's no end to the theories of why "The Wire" and "Arrested Development" aren't being embraced by the public. Strip them away and there's still this left: These are the two best shows on television. If you can't support them, you've got to live with a ninth "Law & Order" or a third billionaire's reality show. Your choice.

Now, it's also quite possible that viewers just don't like "The Wire" or "Arrested Development." People say the first is too dense, moves too slowly. You know, like a book. People say the comedy in "Arrested Development" is too self-referential or obscure, that it doesn't have a laugh track to help them and is too fast-paced verbally and too challenging visually (it's easy to miss those added-value puns). And if this is the case with you, well, let's just say reasonable people can disagree.

Except you're wrong.

Millions upon millions of people are wrong, evidently. Which is galling and sad and makes a certain someone prone to rage. But what does it say about our standards if "too challenging" is the death blow to quality? If intelligence isn't being rewarded on television, then it will go away.

And, yes, the knee-jerk response to that is, "It already has." But that's not true. Rent or buy the first-season DVDs of "The Wire" and "Arrested Development" for proof that people in the television business are still trying, that genius still sprouts in fields of stupidity.

If "The Wire" and "Arrested Development" don't come back next year, the optimist inside says there will be other exceptional series that will rise to take their places. There will always be great television series. But never enough to let two slip away without outrage.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2004/12/10/DDG1FA8O1P1.DTL

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: January 22, 2008, 01:09:45 pm »
Is this News? Been a few years since AD last episode.

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #182 on: January 22, 2008, 01:15:42 pm »
Is this News? Been a few years since AD last episode.

No, hence:

With AD cold in the ground and The Wire into its last ever season...

It's a tidy little perspective on the challenges the show(s) face(d), is all. How they were too clever for their own good. And before the UK starts sucking its own in self-congratulation, AD's chances of success were hampered by cretinous scheduling too.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: January 22, 2008, 01:18:38 pm »
No, hence:

It's a tidy little perspective on the challenges the show(s) face(d), is all. How they were too clever for their own good. And before the UK starts sucking its own in self-congratulation, AD's chances of success were hampered by cretinous scheduling too.

UK television is a joke. You know what I'm gonna say. Little Miss Jocelyn and Two twatting fucking shitty Pints get repeated and repeated to the brink of nausea, while some of the finest comedies ever produced get played at stupid o'clock. I should really be thankful they played them at all, but I'm not, frankly.

And with all the shite channels you get on Sky, why can't we have HBO as well?

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #184 on: January 22, 2008, 01:23:18 pm »
UK television is a joke. You know what I'm gonna say. Little Miss Jocelyn and Two twatting fucking shitty Pints get repeated and repeated to the brink of nausea, while some of the finest comedies ever produced get played at stupid o'clock. I should really be thankful they played them at all, but I'm not, frankly.

And with all the shite channels you get on Sky, why can't we have HBO as well?

Tuesdays on BBC2- fair few years ago, (when I was living in Cumbria, anyway- 10 years?), Seinfeld and Larry Sanders, starting at gone 11pm.
Insane.
Arrested even shifted channels I think? Late on a Sunday night on BBC3. Now that's how to kill a series.

Some speccy linen suited poncey person that I find irritating called Julian or Tristram probably made that decision. Probably went to Oxbridge University, wherever that is.

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: January 22, 2008, 01:34:29 pm »

Arrested even shifted channels I think? Late on a Sunday night on BBC3. Now that's how to kill a series.

How important are UK viewing figures to these shows though. The reason AD died was because the Yanks wouldn't watch it.

Theres a great outtake of David Cross ranting about how poor a job FOX? done at marketing the show .

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: January 22, 2008, 01:37:51 pm »
How important are UK viewing figures to these shows though. The reason AD died was because the Yanks wouldn't watch it.

Theres a great outtake of David Cross ranting about how poor a job FOX? done at marketing the show .

Regardless, it's wrong. To think shows like Curb, Arrested Development and The Larry Sanders Show would have passed me by if it weren't for RAWK... frightening.

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #187 on: January 22, 2008, 01:49:38 pm »

Class, that.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1007627

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: January 22, 2008, 01:51:48 pm »
Regardless, it's wrong. To think shows like Curb, Arrested Development and The Larry Sanders Show would have passed me by if it weren't for RAWK... frightening.

Curb is shown at a good time is it not, has plenty of ads for it too?

And i guess if a show is doing poorly in the States the TV stations this side of the Atlantic will think its for a reason. So i find it hard to blame them really.

What upsets me is that a show like AD, which could have gone on for many more season i feel gets the chop after two and a half series. Its the only show where after watching the last episode i truly feel robbed. At least Sanders had a good run.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 01:54:10 pm by Bob Loblaw »

Offline Degs

• sy's midnight runners.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: January 22, 2008, 01:55:00 pm »
What a great show this was.

The snowballing of all of the jokes.

Brilliant.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: January 22, 2008, 01:55:15 pm »
Curb is shown at a good time is it not, has plenty of ads for it too?

And i guess if a show is doing poorly in the States the TV stations this side of the Atlantic will think its for a reason. So i find it hard to blame them really.

What upsets me is that a show like AD, which could have gone on for many more season i feel gets the chop after two and a half series.

It does now, because Channel4 have obviously realised its popularity. It was once shown at similar time slots as Larry Sanders is now on ITV4. Although they don't seem to show that at all anymore? Any good show that has adverts with a scantily clad woman in lingerie desperate for a text is getting shown at the wrong time! Not that I'm complaining. ;D

Class, that.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1007627

Brilliant, that. :D

As I said on the previous page, his stand-ups are actually very good. Surprising really. He's pretty much the opposite to what I expected.

Always worth quoting, as I thought it was a great little 'bit':

'There's this really cool poem... really nice sentiment. It's called 'Footprints'. It's really cool. It's this big wooden thing that's lacquered and there's a picture of a guy walking along the beach and then he's talking to Jesus, and he says, 'Jesus, I've noticed that you've been there with me for my life and there have been two sets of footprints when we've been walking down the beach... but I noticed that when I was going through my hardest time, my worst troubling trials and tribulations, that there was only one set of footprints... ... What up with that?' .... and then Jesus answered him, and Jesus said, 'Well, my son... that is when I was helping one of the 5 BILLION people on the planet, selfish fuck. Come on!'.'

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #191 on: January 22, 2008, 02:03:27 pm »
Love this show but only seen series 1 so far. I'm going to look for series 2 in the shops now.
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #192 on: January 24, 2008, 09:56:07 am »
And before the UK starts sucking its own in self-congratulation, AD's chances of success were hampered by cretinous scheduling too.

Being a fan of West Wing, I started emailing RTE's head of scheduling, complaining about the fact that WW kept being shown at 11 pm, and then 11.30 pm, and so on.

The answer I got from scheduling guy was basically along the lines of "well, you and me like the show, obviously, 'cos it's top class, but most of the slack jawed dunderpates who we cater for can't really keep up with it, so it's tough shit for us".

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #193 on: January 24, 2008, 09:59:34 am »
Being a fan of West Wing, I started emailing RTE's head of scheduling, complaining about the fact that WW kept being shown at 11 pm, and then 11.30 pm, and so on.

The answer I got from scheduling guy was basically along the lines of "well, you and me like the show, obviously, 'cos it's top class, but most of the slack jawed dunderpates who we cater for can't really keep up with it, so it's tough shit for us".

To adapt the words of Sir JimBob and Earl Fruitbat, 'The public get the tv that no public could deserve.'

Except they do.

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Legacy Fan

Offline Emo Phillips

• Master of his domain. Enjoyed a young girl's strange, erotic journey from Milan to Minsk. Resident of MILF Island.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: February 8, 2008, 06:10:59 pm »
http://tv.yahoo.com/show/35099/news/urn:newsml:eonlinekristen.com:20080202:TV-6a829db24533e7aa026268d0738c29d5__ER:1;_ylt=AuK7ETKJIdGTP7M9Gu47UVyAo9EF

Please happen.

Saw that last week, excellent news. It has a lot to live up to, but even Arrested at 50% its former glory will be ten times better than anything else. And as it ended before its time, it should have plenty of scope left in it.
KRAMER: "I'm at 1st and 1st. Wait a minute, how can a street intersect into itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe!"

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: February 8, 2008, 06:35:06 pm »
Just a pity no other network picked it up soon after it was chopped. Very little chance of getting the cast back even for a season if they wanted to. Suppose this would be better than nothing though.

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline Degs

• sy's midnight runners.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: February 9, 2008, 10:04:59 am »
There's always money in a bannana stand

Offline Emo Phillips

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: February 9, 2008, 09:44:34 pm »
There's always money in a bannana stand

What, literally IN the banana stand?  ;)