Author Topic: Atheism  (Read 183768 times)

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Economist not the MP spelling and Crosby background differentiate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gentleman in the streets; freak in the spreadsheet
Re: Atheism
« Reply #2640 on: March 4, 2023, 12:53:29 pm »
The sporting analogy holds only to a point. For all its tribalism, superstition and obsession, there is no higher power in football. There is hope and belief in winning, but it isn’t necessary to have belief in something that doesn’t exist. There’s no punishment or reward in the next life for not believing (if there was there’d be less negativity in the post match threads). I don’t believe the miracle of Istanbul had anything to do with god (he was playing for city by then) nor should any rational person. In fact, it’s insulting to the manager, players and fans that made that happen.

But to answer your why: the idea of orbs and anointing oils for an unelected head of state who we are supposed to believe is chosen by god, is absolutely bonkers.

I think you'll find many within the game who disagree - if Blatter and Infantino don't seem themselves as deities on some level I'll be amazed!

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #2641 on: March 5, 2023, 03:37:40 pm »
regarding the bible's stance on homosexuality -

i was reading that the bible doesn't say that homosexuality is wrong but was actually referring to the elders who were sleeping with young boys and that that was wrong and should stop

again, it's just a story to me but because we have so many many many people adhering to that faith then to me it appears to be just another case of a manipulative misinterpretation of 'the word' to justify prejudice and hatred

it's this constant interpretation and misinterpretation and different factions of the same fucking religion that has always made me question christianity

i was 'forced' to go to church when i was a kid - and that didn't help either

i also remember that at my nan's house, she was a devout christian but a lovely lovely woman, she had all the usual signs on the walls with phrases such as 'god is the silent guest at all the meals' and 'wherever you are god is watching you'

now if that doesn't sound like some orwellian dystopia then i don't know what does

after following her faith 'religiously' all her life she died in pain from cancer - if her god did exist then she did not deserve that terrible ending

'it's god's way and we though we don't understand it, we must accept it' was the answer i received from the priest
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #2642 on: March 5, 2023, 06:25:24 pm »
We'll, after today's game I think we can all now agree that there is actually a god.

:scarf :scarf :scarf :scarf :scarf :scarf :scarf
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #2643 on: March 5, 2023, 06:27:19 pm »
We'll, after today's game I think we can all now agree that there is actually a god.

God got surpassed by Salah ;)

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2644 on: March 5, 2023, 06:39:23 pm »
God got surpassed by Salah ;)

Does this mean Islam is the one true religion?

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2645 on: March 5, 2023, 07:06:36 pm »
Does this mean Islam is the one true religion?

No it means Liverpool is

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2646 on: March 5, 2023, 07:09:50 pm »
No it means Liverpool is

Think we can all shake hands and agree on this - close thread?

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2647 on: March 5, 2023, 07:14:38 pm »
Think we can all shake hands and agree on this - close thread?

Done!

/thread

Offline RAWK Meltdown #1

• "Assume they got our phones, assume they got our houses, assume they got us, right here, right now as we sit, everything. Assume it all..."
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • " When You Have To Shoot..Shoot...don't TIKI-TAKA"
« Reply #2648 on: March 8, 2023, 09:17:31 am »

I mistakenly thought this too....but as I was heading east on the M62....a great wave of depression and hopelessness began to surge up from surrounding houses, industries and estates....the further I drove, the darker people's thoughts seemed to be. By the time I got to Urmston...it felt like everything was being held in thrall to a stagnant, satanic sense of woe.

"God" does not reside here....I thought.

Not this week..

Nay....he must be far, far away in heaven.

"Seventh" heaven!! ...If I'm any judge of the matter.

;D

YNWA

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2649 on: March 22, 2023, 02:25:39 pm »
Further proof of god not existing as Johnson swears to tell the truth on a bible and is not struck down by lightning, plague or turned into a pillar of salt.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 02:33:29 pm by lobsterboy »

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2650 on: April 5, 2023, 12:52:32 pm »
so say man did not create religion and the philosophy of faith wasn't considered...

do you think the world would be a better place?

for all the wars and deaths and misery man-made religion has caused, do you think we would have basically done the same thing but under a different 'philosophy'

no religious texts - no religious doctrines - no religious 'morals' - no churches - no heaven - no hell

i nearly started singing 'imagine' there - but i guess that song does ask the same question too

so whether you believe a god exists or not - man-made religion certainly does exist so hence the question

racism can be attributed to man-made religion - as can misogyny, homophobia, anti-abortion rights etc

but would they have raised their ugly heads regardless of religion being their chief protagonist?
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2651 on: April 5, 2023, 01:59:20 pm »
so say man did not create religion and the philosophy of faith wasn't considered...

for all the wars and deaths and misery man-made religion has caused, do you think we would have basically done the same thing but under a different 'philosophy'

no religious texts - no religious doctrines - no religious 'morals' - no churches - no heaven - no hell

i nearly started singing 'imagine' there - but i guess that song does ask the same question too

so whether you believe a god exists or not - man-made religion certainly does exist so hence the question

racism can be attributed to man-made religion - as can misogyny, homophobia, anti-abortion rights etc

but would they have raised their ugly heads regardless of religion being their chief protagonist?
There are plenty examples of murderous non-religious (though religistic) movements: Russian Communism; Chinese Communism; Nazism; Khmer Rouge. So, I do not think there being no religion would solve all these kinds of problems. But I think it would be a start.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #2652 on: April 5, 2023, 03:06:20 pm »

Humans are tribal and greedy/hoarding by nature (a throwback to the millions of years we spent evolving). They'd have found other reasons to kill each other to some extent.

But religion has always played the afterlife joker, driving people to become more zealous and less protective of the value of their own lives.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Bullet500

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2653 on: April 5, 2023, 08:20:15 pm »
Present day Christian doctrines don't mandate animal sacrifice. Quite disingenuous to associate it with present day Christianity. It's a similar thing with Hinduism too. Vedas mention animal sacrifice, but most other texts and most doctrines don't mandate it. Contrarily, most doctrines abhor it. There are few exceptions like Shaktism (e.g., Kamakhya temple).

Ritualistic animal sacrifice (Eid al-Adha/Bakreid) is barbaric.
Speaking of Kamakhya temple...

"Five arrested over human sacrifice at Indian temple" - https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/apr/05/indian-police-arrest-five-men-accused-of-human-sacrifice

Offline shank94

• Currently at minus 10 and falling...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2654 on: April 5, 2023, 10:50:29 pm »

I think we would have killed each other on looking different, but I think the overall body count would be lower since a lot of motive for wars was religious persecution especially funded by Churches and Mosques.
Everyone knows it's Shanks, Shank is part of my name.

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2655 on: April 8, 2023, 10:35:31 pm »
Whack job catholics in the Philippines have restarted nailing themselves to a cross for Easter.
Guess it's what Jesus would want...

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2656 on: April 8, 2023, 11:09:00 pm »
Whack job catholics in the Philippines have restarted nailing themselves to a cross for Easter.
Inquiring minds need to know: how do they hammer in the nail in their second hand?
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #2657 on: April 8, 2023, 11:09:51 pm »
Inquiring minds need to know: how do they hammer in the nail in their second hand?

It’s a miracle.

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing
« Reply #2658 on: April 8, 2023, 11:25:37 pm »

Catholics?

Addicted to cats?
My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.

Online vblfc

• "Verily, behold! Liverpool Football Club!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic
« Reply #2659 on: April 9, 2023, 12:22:19 am »
Religions become organised and maybe fixated with hierarchies where we all bow down or look up to a priest, bishop, pope, Son if God, Father etc. It seems to me anywhere where I come across such a pyramid or hierarchy. it is followed with misuse of power, exclusion and then corruption and control. Religion is very intertwined with politics in that manner.  Both politics and religion have concepts, models  and teachings that try to encourage “horizontal” peace, harmony etc, but the vertical, top down, power dynamic always seems to dominate, mostly it seems leading to corruption and control.
I try to swerve any strong attachment to such power structures, so my atheism isn’t much so about not believing in God. It’s more about not believing in religion.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2660 on: April 9, 2023, 12:42:11 am »

What ya doing for Easter??

Just hanging about really.

Online Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #2661 on: April 9, 2023, 11:17:03 am »

I lived in the Philippines for a few years and went to an Easter parade one time, it’s insane. As well as the crucifixion many of them do self-flagellation where they get their mates to make a load of nicks in their backs with razors and then beat themselves with a sort of cat o’nine tails made of wood/bamboo.  Apparently it’s as much about machismo as about faith
Believer

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2662 on: April 9, 2023, 11:23:22 am »
I lived in the Philippines for a few years and went to an Easter parade one time, it’s insane. As well as the crucifixion many of them do self-flagellation where they get their mates to make a load of nicks in their backs with razors and then beat themselves with a sort of cat o’nine tails made of wood/bamboo.  Apparently it’s as much about machismo as about faith

Not just their mates, but children partake in it too. Absolute lunacy.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2663 on: April 9, 2023, 12:53:22 pm »

..next you'll be asking how that guy escaped in the shawshank redemption after digging a hole through the cell wall and then climbing into the hole and then sticking back the poster covering the hole in the cell wall from the outside while still being inside the hole

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2664 on: April 9, 2023, 12:54:00 pm »
What ya doing for Easter??

Just hanging about really.

nailed it  :wave

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #2665 on: April 9, 2023, 02:01:11 pm »
Easter, Ramadan and Passover this weekend …
Peak religion right now!
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2666 on: April 9, 2023, 04:55:23 pm »
..next you'll be asking how that guy escaped in the shawshank redemption after digging a hole through the cell wall and then climbing into the hole and then sticking back the poster covering the hole in the cell wall from the outside while still being inside the hole

The poster was only attached at the top?

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2667 on: April 9, 2023, 05:13:43 pm »
Yeah. It seems much less of head-scratcher than nailing both of your own hands to a cross.

Offline shank94

• Currently at minus 10 and falling...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2668 on: April 9, 2023, 05:30:15 pm »
Don't understand what the Christians are on about after every disaster, Jesus is making an appearance at Anfield today
Everyone knows it's Shanks, Shank is part of my name.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2669 on: April 9, 2023, 07:22:02 pm »

ah... but if you watch the scene the prison warden punches his fist through the poster and it does not move

(but let's not hijack this thread through fear of not taking atheism serious enough - naughty naughty us)

Online The_Nomad

• Kopite
« Reply #2670 on: April 26, 2023, 02:58:05 am »
Been watching science vs religion debates on YouTube with people like Krause, Hitchens, William Craig, Dawkins, Tyson and Peterson.

Honestly don’t know why scientists want to debate religious people. Never mind the fact that they’re never going to convince each other or people from the opposing viewpoint; religious people always argue from a philosophical perspective and scientists, from a scientific one. It’s actually quite pointless, l feel.

Most of the time, it’s almost as if they’re talking past each other. Any debate about the existence of god requires there to be a common language on the subject. Science and religion approach this in very different ways. Metaphysics is NOT science.

Very unfortunately, religionists want to impose their religion on the teaching of science. Science doesn’t do that deliberately. It goes on its merry way as a candle in the dark, to quote Sagan, bringing an end to ignorance about the natural world. I guess that’s why religion feels so threatened by science.

While there is scientific inquiry, there is no such thing as a religious one. If nobody can know the mind of god, why bother discovering anything? Just accept the boundaries of knowledge and say god is responsible for everything. Religionists have been moving the goal posts with every discovery that science has made about the cosmos and quantum physics. It’s completely ridiculous. Why do you NEED a divine, all powerful, all knowing entity in your lives?
Good Judgement Comes From Experience, Unfortunately Experience Comes From Bad Judgement.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #2671 on: April 26, 2023, 08:09:46 am »
The first half of that is totally correct, and is why among other things this thread never gets anywhere.  But then you make exactly the same mistake in the second half - there’s absolutely tons of inquiry in religion, but it’s around questions like ‘how should we live?’.  You can surely at least imagine how having a supreme entity would be a useful concept when it comes to addressing that question.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2672 on: April 26, 2023, 08:36:15 am »
The first half of that is totally correct, and is why among other things this thread never gets anywhere.  But then you make exactly the same mistake in the second half - there’s absolutely tons of inquiry in religion, but it’s around questions like ‘how should we live?’.  You can surely at least imagine how having a supreme entity would be a useful concept when it comes to addressing that question.

it is not meant to get anywhere - atheists don't believe: end of

ah, imagination - now we're back to what if we make things up again

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2673 on: April 26, 2023, 09:05:55 am »

I can’t, actually. But I can think of many ways it isn’t useful and can be dangerous.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2674 on: April 26, 2023, 09:12:02 am »
I can’t, actually. But I can think of many ways it isn’t useful and can be dangerous.
You can’t imagine a difference between living as if you’re answerable for every action, and living as if you’re not answerable for actions that you can get away with?

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #2675 on: April 26, 2023, 09:57:54 am »
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #2676 on: April 26, 2023, 10:10:15 am »
You can’t imagine a difference between living as if you’re answerable for every action, and living as if you’re not answerable for actions that you can get away with?

Wow. Do you mean this?

Your choices are both wretched. To be "answerable for every action"? Certain totalitarian regimes have tried to construct systems that do this. They put the individual under immense scrutiny and surveillance and punish every infringement against the Dictator, no matter how small. The individual isn't even allowed to read a book that is not authorised. Private thoughts are not allowed. 'Thought crimes' are treated like real crimes.

I don't know why you would think this is an admirable system, or why you would want the individual to be "answerable" for every little thing he or she does. Answerable to God, presumably. The great Dictator in the sky. The heavenly equivalent of Stalin. Reigning by terror.  People aren't made "moral" by such a system. They are made frightened and scared.

As for the other alternative, what exactly are you describing? A lawless place of total anarchy where you can get away with anything? I know such hell-holes exist, but it hardly describes the civilisations built up by (on the whole) secular, democratic societies, where there is equality under the law,  law is based on accepted codes of morality and people are accountable for illegal actions.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2677 on: April 26, 2023, 10:14:26 am »

The largest group of sick and twisted paedophiles and child abusers are people who imagine that they're answerable to one of the thousands of gods.

My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2678 on: April 26, 2023, 10:17:34 am »
You’ve gone off on one there. Imagine you find a wallet on a deserted street with £100 in it. There is no god. What should you do?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2679 on: April 26, 2023, 10:20:24 am »
You’ve gone off on one there. Imagine you find a wallet on a deserted street with £100 in it. There is no god. What should you do?

The biggest group of thieves over the history of mankind are leaders of one of the thousands of religions.

The ultimate long con.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 10:22:55 am by WhereAngelsPlay »
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill