Author Topic: Sadio Mané  (Read 1760208 times)

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
Re: Liverpool Officially Sign Sadio Mané !!
« Reply #360 on: June 30, 2016, 03:41:47 pm »
Still on about the pricetag I see.

I guess some of you would be happy with a mandated minimum wage from 1960 too.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #361 on: June 30, 2016, 04:03:53 pm »
There's been a lot of talk about Mane's goal drought this season. The type which "wouldn't be tolerated at Liverpool" (even though he ended up with very positive numbers in the end)

You might want to check out Lallana's last 2 seasons at Liverpool. In 14/15 there were 17 consecutive league games where he didn't score. In 15/16 there were 22 consecutive league games where he didn't score. (Figures include occasional games missed through injury)

While people generally acknowledge Lallana doesn't score enough, nobody was calling it a goal drought.

It seems like Mane is judged more harshly because he sets higher standards for goal scoring

Yes, players who very rarely score do not suffer "goal droughts" they just don't score very often. It's only really used to describe players who are expected to score on a regular basis.

(So Danny Welbeck hardly ever scores, but nobody says he is suffering a "goal drought" they just say he's a bit shit.)

Players like Mane, attacking forwards who don't usually operate as out and out strikers, will often go through patches of scoring regularly. We saw both Coutinho and Firmino score in clear spells last season. If you have enough of these players, and these spells are well spaced (so you don't get everyone peaking at the same time) then that's great for the team.

The important thing is what they do when they are not scoring goals. Lallana, for example, is not a prolific goal scorer, but he was one of the more consistently selected players last season because of the other things he does. So long as the team wins, so long as someone scores, what is more important is that players contribute with pressing, with passes, with assists and with movement off the ball.

Mane's goal return of last season would be a very solid return for us if he repeats it this season. What is vital, though, is that the team as a whole scores more goals, not that any individual player racks them up consistently over the season.

We expect players to score more often the nearer they play to the opposition goal, which makes sense. So the burden of goalscoring falls mostly on the striker/s, with the wide forwards and no.10 contributing next. Again though, so long as this group are collectively adding goals, it is of no importance which player is notching them up.

In fact it is more useful to the team if these goals are shared out. Firstly because this means the team is less reliant on the form or availability of a single player, but also because it is harder for the opposition when the threat is more widely distributed. If we close down that dangerous lad on the left, the no.10 gets a bit more space, and if we account for that then the guy on the right has room to run into, etc, etc.

Further back, it's about chipping in. Often these players (particularly centre backs) will get goals from set-pieces. It's not expected of them or a major part of their role on the pitch, but the more they can bring to the table here, the more value they add to the team. A great centre back who never scores (like Carragher) is always more valuable than a merely competent defender who can get five goals a season (like Skrtel) because when there's a trade off at the other end, it usually costs more in goals conceded over a season than even a relatively prolific centre back is likely to score for the team.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Ken-Obi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #362 on: June 30, 2016, 04:08:08 pm »
a video of him vs Bayern Munich below.

If this doesnt get you reaching for the kleenex, i dont know what will

https://youtu.be/ptDmL6eGq_w
Women.

Hey it's not my business if that's your sorta thing. :P
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #363 on: June 30, 2016, 04:49:05 pm »
He's an improvement over probably Lallana for sure. But by how much? Will it be enough to gain the glory we crave? Those are questions I will only hope Mane has the right answers to and will not immediately expect.
Not too keen on the Lallana comparisons. They're very different players. Is Mané's output better? Yeah. Is he a better player? Not in my eyes. He's more effective, but I genuinely think that technically, Lallana is top ten in the league. Two footed, excellent dribbler, great touch, wonderful presser. His scoring does need to improve, undoubtedly, but can we not be happy about a new player without using it to shit on others?

Offline Kop 81

• Spineless.
  • Kopite
  • We've got KLOPP!
« Reply #364 on: June 30, 2016, 05:28:02 pm »
Still on about the pricetag I see.

I guess some of you would be happy with a mandated minimum wage from 1960 too.

I know it's crazy, who cares what he cost?  It's not our money!

He's going to shine in the red of Liverpool.

Offline srinath

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #365 on: June 30, 2016, 05:43:34 pm »
This is an awesome video of how red bull salzburg used to press. Mane was a very very important part of the press. He is used to klopp's system and i think he is gonna be a great success here

https://vimeo.com/89108219

<a href="https://player.vimeo.com/video/89108219" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://player.vimeo.com/video/89108219</a>

Offline Ken Doral

• Anny Roader
« Reply #366 on: June 30, 2016, 06:35:21 pm »
/snip

Good post. And also on the subject of how other traits might otherwise positively effect the play, if Mane's ability to stretch opposition backlines consistently opens up more space and creates more opportunities (which it should), whether Mane himself scores them or not, somebody probably will be. 

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #367 on: June 30, 2016, 06:40:39 pm »
Good post that, Nessy.

Offline brownbear11

• Kopite
  • aht and aboot, ˇdale!
« Reply #368 on: June 30, 2016, 07:17:39 pm »
Think Coutinho and Sturridge are going love having this guy and his pace. Through balls from Coutinho (and hopefully Hendo/Can over the top) and CBs won't be able to mark Sturridge man-to-man, opens up space for both Mane and Sturridge. Can't wait.

Think Lallana will be a great sub to have too, the way he presses on tired defenders. Can fill right in if any of Coutinho, Firmino, Mane get injured.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Seńor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #369 on: June 30, 2016, 07:47:22 pm »
Does he usually last for the whole match?

Don't recall him being subbed off particularly often, ala Lallana

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #370 on: June 30, 2016, 07:56:20 pm »
Women.

Hey it's not my business if that's your sorta thing. :P
Women make me cry all the time too.

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Doubter To Believer.
  • Super Title: And back to Doubter
« Reply #371 on: June 30, 2016, 07:57:09 pm »
Lallana could be a great sub. Remember his performance vs Norwich off the bench?

He's able to go on and revitalise our pressing game because he can put 90 minutes running into 30.
Believe

Offline Ken Doral

• Anny Roader
« Reply #372 on: June 30, 2016, 08:33:44 pm »
a video of him vs Bayern Munich below.

If this doesnt get you reaching for the kleenex, i dont know what will

https://youtu.be/ptDmL6eGq_w

I quite enjoyed that but it didn't make me sneeze. Maybe see a doctor?

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #373 on: June 30, 2016, 08:59:06 pm »
If he can take a decent corner then he'll be OK with me.

Offline amirani

• Legacy Fan
  • Carolina Red!
« Reply #374 on: June 30, 2016, 09:32:52 pm »
If he can take a decent corner then he'll be OK with me.

Doubt it. Tadic is the guy for corner/free kicks.

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #375 on: June 30, 2016, 10:00:07 pm »
Doubt it. Tadic is the guy for corner/free kicks.
Ward Prose I think .Have seen him take some excellent free kicks

Offline trimore

• Legacy Fan
  • Dastardly and Muttley with sick laughter
« Reply #376 on: June 30, 2016, 10:04:51 pm »
You've obviously never seen Mané play. He just isn't that sort of player at all (thankfully).

Possibly not Sturridge either as I really can't recall him scoring many headers for us at all!

They're both pretty versatile, Sturridge has scored from a bunch of crosses. I just think Mane will play more outwide for us since Coutinho, Firimino and Lallana all enjoy playing centrally or cut in from in front of the 18-yard box (though there have been exceptions). 
Go off to sleep in the sunshine, I don't want to see the day when it's dying

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #377 on: June 30, 2016, 10:20:02 pm »
They're both pretty versatile, Sturridge has scored from a bunch of crosses. I just think Mane will play more outwide for us since Coutinho, Firimino and Lallana all enjoy playing centrally or cut in from in front of the 18-yard box (though there have been exceptions). 

Mane is best playing wide but he won't be whipping in crosses all game, he prefers to play a one-two while running in behind or beat a man and either lay it off or take a shot. I don't get this assumption that wide player = winger, wingers are more an exception than the norm these days.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #378 on: June 30, 2016, 10:20:31 pm »
Lallana could be a great sub. Remember his performance vs Norwich off the bench?

He's able to go on and revitalise our pressing game because he can put 90 minutes running into 30.
Agreed, I don't think we've done that enough with Lallana.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #379 on: June 30, 2016, 10:45:13 pm »
Agreed, I don't think we've done that enough with Lallana.

Meaning he shouldn't be sold? Or meaning he should be more used as a super-sub?

Lallana for me shouldn't go anywhere, but needs to step up with the production of goals and assists. Especially if Firmino, Coutinho and Mane does just that.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #380 on: June 30, 2016, 11:51:33 pm »
Meaning he shouldn't be sold? Or meaning he should be more used as a super-sub?

Lallana for me shouldn't go anywhere, but needs to step up with the production of goals and assists. Especially if Firmino, Coutinho and Mane does just that.
I meant he should be used more as a super-sub. When the moment's right, he could cause chaos for the opposition coming off the bench with his pressing, movement and touch. I don't particularly think his G/A stats are going to improve at this stage of career but I've always thought he's a pretty good squad player to have and if you use him a  bit more in that way, especially given the space that often opens up in the second half of a Premier League game, he's a good asset to have in the squad.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline reds7

• Kopite
  • Walk on Tommo
« Reply #381 on: July 1, 2016, 12:02:09 am »
Hope he proves better than his compatriots were

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #382 on: July 1, 2016, 12:12:24 am »
I have no idea who you are. Where you play. Or what you'll bring to the table. But good luck mate. Hope Twitter doesn't hound you out of life and you become good enough to get a song. Love Dan.

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #383 on: July 1, 2016, 12:53:23 am »
Remember when Downing was easily our fastest player.  Good times.

Offline please stop 2016

• Boys Pen
« Reply #384 on: July 1, 2016, 01:07:15 pm »
Remember when Downing was easily our fastest player.  Good times.
could u imagine how good downing would of been under the guidance of klopp 😊

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #385 on: July 1, 2016, 01:32:38 pm »
could u imagine how good downing would of been under the guidance of klopp 😊

A little bit better than average probably.

Offline please stop 2016

• Boys Pen
« Reply #386 on: July 1, 2016, 03:00:33 pm »
A little bit better than average probably.
he could of reached the same level as reus, hodgson destroyed
the poor lads confidence.

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #387 on: July 1, 2016, 09:04:36 pm »

Please stop

« Reply #388 on: July 2, 2016, 01:48:10 am »
Very happy with the signing of Mané. He's so strong on the ball and knows how to pass and move and can accelerate from standing still to running at full pace over just a few yards. Looks very good with both feet too and can dribble well. Has a very direct style.

Also he was causing havoc for our defence almost every time he had the ball in our games against Southhampton last season.

Bastion of invincibility

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #389 on: July 2, 2016, 02:13:59 am »
People complaining about the price only need remember that the "TC" wanted him a couple of years ago for 10m and we might have done the deal if Rodgers had not refused the player.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #390 on: July 2, 2016, 07:33:41 am »
Not sure about him. He has pace and is clearly talented but seems a little inconsistent. I also uspect he is Coutinho's replacement.

If he were consistent, we wouldn't be able to buy him.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #391 on: July 2, 2016, 07:53:18 am »
People complaining about the price only need remember that the "TC" wanted him a couple of years ago for 10m and we might have done the deal if Rodgers had not refused the player.
They'd complain that he's worth 5 million then back then.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #392 on: July 2, 2016, 09:13:19 am »
Its just another magic Mané - Whoa oh oh!
i wish it was Sané - Whoa oh oh!

:P

JOKE!!

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #393 on: July 2, 2016, 09:15:30 am »

Don't know if you're being serious. But he wasn't even at the club when Hodgson was here. Kenny signed him.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #394 on: July 3, 2016, 01:29:01 am »

Stewart Downing is the epitome of bang average. An over-coached player with middling ability but no invention. Can't believe the clamour for a player like that.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #395 on: July 3, 2016, 01:46:27 am »
It was worth watching just to hear the German commentator scream "SUPERCOOL!" at around 5'45".  :D
Is good ya.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Legacy Fan

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #397 on: July 3, 2016, 04:16:46 am »
He'll fit in with us due to his workrate. Klopp's signings seem to be making a lot more sense than the ones made by previous managers since Rafa. We have already signed a Centre back, a goalkeeper, a centre mid and a wide man with 10 days still to go before our first pre-season friendly. I suspect there'll be more to come before we leave for the States. There'll be more outs than we expect too. But the way this team is being built, we should be strong and deep and ready by August.

I wasn't too sure about the signing before but maybe that was partly due to being haunted by the failures of Balotelli and Benteke to work in the system. However, I was won over when I realized that not only did Klopp want him but because he fits the team. He is used to pressing and counter pressing coming from the same system at Red Bull Salzburg. He is a Klopp player and knows exactly what is required in this team. I can see him doing well here.

One of his main attributes, explosive pace, is severely lacking in the side. None of Coutinho, Firmino, or Lallana are exceptionally quick. But Mané is electrifying off the mark. His acceleration off the spot is really impressive. It is going to be a dangerous tool for us next season.
YWNA

Offline SquirrelandGman

• 24 Hour Party People Plastic Face Carnt Smile (White Out)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shagging a sheep somewhere.
« Reply #398 on: July 3, 2016, 04:31:07 am »
:butt :butt :butt ;D ;D ;D

Offline fredfrop

• 19*
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #399 on: July 3, 2016, 08:51:58 am »
Its just another magic Mané - Whoa oh oh!
i wish it was Sané - Whoa oh oh!

[emoji14]

JOKE!!
Or even Fané