Author Topic: Hello Friend - Mr Robot TV series.  (Read 52993 times)

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
Re: Hello Friend - Mr Robot TV series.
« Reply #240 on: September 29, 2015, 06:07:16 am »
What a totally brilliant scene cut from the final of the series like I have said before so Stanley Kubrick

Was it really done in one shot or were things like pillars used as a cut point.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/QHrp8rvBLmM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/QHrp8rvBLmM</a>
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 06:16:23 am by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #241 on: January 11, 2016, 11:58:38 am »
Mr. Robot wins Best TV Drama Series and Christian Slater wins Best Supporting Actor in the Golden Globes

Not that any sane person should really take the Golden Globes seriously, but hopefully it will attract more viewers to the show.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: February 18, 2016, 11:17:03 am »
Just finished it.  Thoroughly enjoyed it.  My only criticism (and without trawling through the thread, I'm sure I'm not the first to say this) is that it really, really wears its influences on it's sleeve.  The narration and much characterisation is pure Fight Club - I actually laughed when I heard a version of 'where is my mind' playing during the plan/mental illness reveals.  Lines were paraphrased from it too.  Some of the characterisation was lifted from House of Cards and American Pscyho.  There were even elements of clockwork orange and the Matrix in there.

Still.  I really enjoyed it.  Weirdly, despite having so many obvious anchors in terms of influence, it's one of the most original TV shows I've watched in a while. The script and plotting was mostly tight (until episode 10).  It was beautifully shot.  I loved how they used clever cinematography to convey mood or a sense of location - shifting our viewing angle of Elliot based on his current mental state.  We also see a lot of negative space when we're in Elliot's POV, helping give a sense of his disjointed perspective and struggle to make eye contact.

You see that level of production and cinematography a lot in movies but less so in TV.  The director/writer seems to have learned important lessons from Fight Club rather than just nicked ideas.

I'll definitley tune in for another series, though I'm intrigued and a bit skeptical where they can take it from here.  The gritty near-reality of it was it's trump card, and the final episode has turned all that on it's head. 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 11:28:23 am by thejbs »

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: February 18, 2016, 11:21:12 am »
Oh, and the music...  :champ :champ :champ :scarf :scarf :scarf :wellin :wellin :wellin

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: February 18, 2016, 12:02:47 pm »
thought this was bumped for a S2 update :(
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #245 on: February 18, 2016, 07:07:09 pm »
Same.

This reply will help contribute to the problem too :)
:D

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: February 18, 2016, 09:57:05 pm »
 Season 2?  :-X
Football is a lie

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: February 18, 2016, 10:15:00 pm »
Okish show.
Too much like too many others.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #248 on: March 14, 2016, 11:12:29 am »
Taxi Driver, Girls, and 7 Other Big Influences on Mr. Robot
By Matthew Giles

USA’s Mr. Robot began as creator Sam Esmail’s second feature film, but his desire to flesh out his characters more fully brought it to the small screen. “The Sopranos kicked off this so-called golden age of television,” he says, “Now television is even bigger, and it’s more about being cinematic, which helps our show.”

It’s difficult for Esmail to pin down which films and TV shows have influenced the hacker drama, which has been praised in part for its cinematic feel. “It’s tough because there is tons of work, from a filmmaking point of view, that I borrow from,” he says. But when Vulture asked him, he graciously produced nine projects from Taxi Driver to Girls that have influenced Mr. Robot, and highlighted several scenes in which he tipped his hat to his filmmaking compatriots.

Taxi Driver (Martin Scorsese, 1976)
Influences: Voice-over and cinematography
“Looking back at Taxi Driver or, really, any of the Martin Scorsese films, he really filmed New York City in a way that I saw New York City. It’s gritty, it’s the underworld, and we wanted locations like Coney Island or the Lower East Side that are amazing to look at — they are beautiful in their ugliness. It’s cheaper to shoot in Toronto, so it’s a shame we were the first ones to show that version of NYC in a while, but my edict from the get-go is we shoot NYC. If you remember from the pilot, Elliot is walking by the subway, and this crazy extra started walking towards the camera. Someone mentioned cutting it, but I said, ‘Are you crazy? This is amazing.’ That’s when you know you’re not in Toronto.

“Taxi Driver is one of those films that is groundbreaking in how much you’re inside this character’s head. It uses voice-over in a revolutionary way where the audience is invited as a co-conspirator to the whole story line. You have this intimate relationship with Travis Bickle that you wouldn’t have without the voice-over — the device is such a powerful hook if done well. Elliot is so socially anxious and awkward that the only way to relate to him is to be inside his brain — otherwise it’s going to be hard to really engage with a character like him — and that’s how I came up with the voice-over’s whole imaginary-person component.”

American Psycho (Mary Harron, 2000)
Influences: Story
“When I wanted to tell the story of the corporate world, we wanted to strike a balance between being straightforward and satirical. In my opinion, American Psycho goes over the hill much more than our show does — we want to be audacious but not go too over the top — but it is one of the best films about corporate politics even though it is not, I hope, a realistic representation. I love that movie, and it for sure influenced Mr. Robot.”

Fight Club (David Fincher, 1999)
Influences: Tone and camera movement
“Fight Club is great in its spirit of anti-Establishment. When you do a show about hackers and the surrounding culture, it would be remiss for me not to be inspired by a film that is the king of that subject matter. In spirit, we want the same feeling that Fight Club gave people. There is something audacious and exciting and entertaining about that film even though it is extremely political at the same time. And it also showed all the flaws as well as the pluses about everything with our consumer society. I can’t deny those elements are influences on the show.

“Fincher has this energy, this kinetic movement to all his shots, even when the camera isn’t moving. It’s in how he chooses to frame people, It’s in the cutting, and then the camera movement — because you don’t use them all the time, they pop out a lot more. That to me is the brilliance of Fincher.”

Stanley Kubrick’s oeuvre
Influences: Tone, cinematography, plot details, framing scenes
“A Clockwork Orange, along with Taxi Driver, immediately stands out, but one of the biggest influences on the show is Stanley Kubrick in general. In terms of Clockwork, the title cards are an inspiration. There are these glasses that I make Darlene [Carly Chaikin] wear that are a little bit of a nod to Lolita. And, actually, it’s not a huge spoiler, but there’ll be a little bit of a nod to Dr. Strangelove in the season finale that people can look out for.

“There is an Eyes Wide Shut feel to the FSociety members wearing the masks. When I flew back and forth shooting the show, The Shining happened to be on the plane. I love that film, and I noticed Kubrick frames his characters with a lot of head room, which lends itself to an unsettling emotional reaction. Whatever Kubrick deliberately decided to do for that film, we chose something similar for the show. Another huge Kubrick influence is how he used wide angles. I have an affinity for wide angles — when I directed episode two, the show opens basically with this massive wide shot, which is very unusual for a television show, and Elliot standing dead center in the middle of this doorway. You can’t tell that story with a lens that isn’t as powerful. Kubrick also loved his wide-angle lens, and there is a certain tone when you keep using it. It is eerie and detached, but at the same time it is compelling and makes you look at the frame more. It’s not for every scene, but it’s definitely something we include more on our show than a typical show. I don’t know if we have done 2001 yet, but at some point I’ll borrow from it. Elliot will go into space.”

Darren Aronofsky
Influences: Narration and real-life depiction
“Episode four, which includes the drug hallucinations and Elliot’s detox, borrows a lot from Aronofsky. Pi was one of my favorite films growing up because I thought it employed paranoia and voice-over, and also because it used this unreliable narrator in a very fascinating way. And while I think, stylistically, we do a lot of things differently in the filmmaking, if you look at Aronofsky’s later works, like Requiem for a Dream, we were definitely inspired by what he did.”

Risky Business (Paul Brickman, 1983)
Influences: Score
“The ending of episode five has always been a battle internally. You could have ended on the cliff-hanger with the Vera call to Elliot, but I really wanted Angela [and the fork in the road] to work, and these two story lines are being set up for the rest of the season. They are going to intersect in an interesting way. I knew the most powerful ending would win, but with “Tangerine Dream,” the song just drove the whole sequence from the arcade to Angela’s discovery of her father’s overpaid bills to that beautiful voice-over that [supervising producer/writer] Dave Iserson wrote about changing the world and how long it takes — it just fit so nicely all the way to the end. Obviously I was aware of Risky Business, and its score makes the movie amazing. It takes these simple moments and makes them feel as grand as they should, and are.”

Breaking Bad (Vince Gilligan)
Influences: Story arc
“What was revolutionary about Breaking Bad, and I don’t know what other shows have done this, but it was committed to telling one story. ‘Here, we are going to tell one story from beginning to end, and it's really going to have this cohesive thread, and we are not going to deviate from it.’ Sometimes he’ll be cooking meth, and then for stretches he’ll have nothing to do with meth. That was inspiring because Mr. Robot initially started as a feature film with one story — the ending of season one is the end of my act one, or about the 30-minute mark, and then the real story begins in season two — and I had an ending in mind. When I made the decision to turn it into a television show, I just remembered, Well, Breaking Bad did it, they went from beginning to end and they stuck to this journey! That’s what I wanted to do with Mr. Robot.

Girls (Lena Dunham)
Influences: Cinematography
“Tim [Ives] was our DP on the pilot, and since then Tod Campbell has been the DP on the series. One of the reasons we wanted Tim is because of how he filmed New York City for Girls. The palette we wanted, Tim did that so well on Girls, but then he gave use such a new style and form in our show. And then Tod came in, and we had this cool, amazing element with our framing, and we’ve gone even further in the series with that.”

Blade Runner
(Ridley Scott, 1982)
Influences: Character development
“Blade Runner’s morality influenced the storytelling of our show. It is so fascinating. The ending scene is so beautiful between Rutger Hauer and Harrison Ford. Even though Hauer is the villain, you don’t hate him at the end. And Ford could have gotten killed — and now I am totally spoiling the movie for anyone who is reading this, so you have to put up the spoiler alert — but he doesn’t kill him! It’s so beautiful, and there is not really a good-guy-bad-guy scenario. There is just this grey area that is so ambiguous, and it is the same with Tyrell. Even if you hate him, you still love watching him.”

http://www.vulture.com/2015/07/mr-robot-influences-taxi-driver-girls.html
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: April 17, 2016, 12:47:50 pm »
Season 2 promo, seems surprisingly low key.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2eR1fc_dXqw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2eR1fc_dXqw</a>

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: May 17, 2016, 12:06:33 am »
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: May 17, 2016, 04:06:02 am »
Great show.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #252 on: May 17, 2016, 08:59:28 am »
Taxi Driver, Girls, and 7 Other Big Influences on Mr. Robot
By Matthew Giles

USA’s Mr. Robot began as creator Sam Esmail’s second feature film, but his desire to flesh out his characters more fully brought it to the small screen. “The Sopranos kicked off this so-called golden age of television,” he says, “Now television is even bigger, and it’s more about being cinematic, which helps our show.”

It’s difficult for Esmail to pin down which films and TV shows have influenced the hacker drama, which has been praised in part for its cinematic feel. “It’s tough because there is tons of work, from a filmmaking point of view, that I borrow from,” he says. But when Vulture asked him, he graciously produced nine projects from Taxi Driver to Girls that have influenced Mr. Robot, and highlighted several scenes in which he tipped his hat to his filmmaking compatriots.

Taxi Driver (Martin Scorsese, 1976)
Influences: Voice-over and cinematography
“Looking back at Taxi Driver or, really, any of the Martin Scorsese films, he really filmed New York City in a way that I saw New York City. It’s gritty, it’s the underworld, and we wanted locations like Coney Island or the Lower East Side that are amazing to look at — they are beautiful in their ugliness. It’s cheaper to shoot in Toronto, so it’s a shame we were the first ones to show that version of NYC in a while, but my edict from the get-go is we shoot NYC. If you remember from the pilot, Elliot is walking by the subway, and this crazy extra started walking towards the camera. Someone mentioned cutting it, but I said, ‘Are you crazy? This is amazing.’ That’s when you know you’re not in Toronto.

“Taxi Driver is one of those films that is groundbreaking in how much you’re inside this character’s head. It uses voice-over in a revolutionary way where the audience is invited as a co-conspirator to the whole story line. You have this intimate relationship with Travis Bickle that you wouldn’t have without the voice-over — the device is such a powerful hook if done well. Elliot is so socially anxious and awkward that the only way to relate to him is to be inside his brain — otherwise it’s going to be hard to really engage with a character like him — and that’s how I came up with the voice-over’s whole imaginary-person component.”

American Psycho (Mary Harron, 2000)
Influences: Story
“When I wanted to tell the story of the corporate world, we wanted to strike a balance between being straightforward and satirical. In my opinion, American Psycho goes over the hill much more than our show does — we want to be audacious but not go too over the top — but it is one of the best films about corporate politics even though it is not, I hope, a realistic representation. I love that movie, and it for sure influenced Mr. Robot.”

Fight Club (David Fincher, 1999)
Influences: Tone and camera movement
“Fight Club is great in its spirit of anti-Establishment. When you do a show about hackers and the surrounding culture, it would be remiss for me not to be inspired by a film that is the king of that subject matter. In spirit, we want the same feeling that Fight Club gave people. There is something audacious and exciting and entertaining about that film even though it is extremely political at the same time. And it also showed all the flaws as well as the pluses about everything with our consumer society. I can’t deny those elements are influences on the show.

“Fincher has this energy, this kinetic movement to all his shots, even when the camera isn’t moving. It’s in how he chooses to frame people, It’s in the cutting, and then the camera movement — because you don’t use them all the time, they pop out a lot more. That to me is the brilliance of Fincher.”

Stanley Kubrick’s oeuvre
Influences: Tone, cinematography, plot details, framing scenes
“A Clockwork Orange, along with Taxi Driver, immediately stands out, but one of the biggest influences on the show is Stanley Kubrick in general. In terms of Clockwork, the title cards are an inspiration. There are these glasses that I make Darlene [Carly Chaikin] wear that are a little bit of a nod to Lolita. And, actually, it’s not a huge spoiler, but there’ll be a little bit of a nod to Dr. Strangelove in the season finale that people can look out for.

“There is an Eyes Wide Shut feel to the FSociety members wearing the masks. When I flew back and forth shooting the show, The Shining happened to be on the plane. I love that film, and I noticed Kubrick frames his characters with a lot of head room, which lends itself to an unsettling emotional reaction. Whatever Kubrick deliberately decided to do for that film, we chose something similar for the show. Another huge Kubrick influence is how he used wide angles. I have an affinity for wide angles — when I directed episode two, the show opens basically with this massive wide shot, which is very unusual for a television show, and Elliot standing dead center in the middle of this doorway. You can’t tell that story with a lens that isn’t as powerful. Kubrick also loved his wide-angle lens, and there is a certain tone when you keep using it. It is eerie and detached, but at the same time it is compelling and makes you look at the frame more. It’s not for every scene, but it’s definitely something we include more on our show than a typical show. I don’t know if we have done 2001 yet, but at some point I’ll borrow from it. Elliot will go into space.”

Darren Aronofsky
Influences: Narration and real-life depiction
“Episode four, which includes the drug hallucinations and Elliot’s detox, borrows a lot from Aronofsky. Pi was one of my favorite films growing up because I thought it employed paranoia and voice-over, and also because it used this unreliable narrator in a very fascinating way. And while I think, stylistically, we do a lot of things differently in the filmmaking, if you look at Aronofsky’s later works, like Requiem for a Dream, we were definitely inspired by what he did.”

Risky Business (Paul Brickman, 1983)
Influences: Score
“The ending of episode five has always been a battle internally. You could have ended on the cliff-hanger with the Vera call to Elliot, but I really wanted Angela [and the fork in the road] to work, and these two story lines are being set up for the rest of the season. They are going to intersect in an interesting way. I knew the most powerful ending would win, but with “Tangerine Dream,” the song just drove the whole sequence from the arcade to Angela’s discovery of her father’s overpaid bills to that beautiful voice-over that [supervising producer/writer] Dave Iserson wrote about changing the world and how long it takes — it just fit so nicely all the way to the end. Obviously I was aware of Risky Business, and its score makes the movie amazing. It takes these simple moments and makes them feel as grand as they should, and are.”

Breaking Bad (Vince Gilligan)
Influences: Story arc
“What was revolutionary about Breaking Bad, and I don’t know what other shows have done this, but it was committed to telling one story. ‘Here, we are going to tell one story from beginning to end, and it's really going to have this cohesive thread, and we are not going to deviate from it.’ Sometimes he’ll be cooking meth, and then for stretches he’ll have nothing to do with meth. That was inspiring because Mr. Robot initially started as a feature film with one story — the ending of season one is the end of my act one, or about the 30-minute mark, and then the real story begins in season two — and I had an ending in mind. When I made the decision to turn it into a television show, I just remembered, Well, Breaking Bad did it, they went from beginning to end and they stuck to this journey! That’s what I wanted to do with Mr. Robot.

Girls (Lena Dunham)
Influences: Cinematography
“Tim [Ives] was our DP on the pilot, and since then Tod Campbell has been the DP on the series. One of the reasons we wanted Tim is because of how he filmed New York City for Girls. The palette we wanted, Tim did that so well on Girls, but then he gave use such a new style and form in our show. And then Tod came in, and we had this cool, amazing element with our framing, and we’ve gone even further in the series with that.”

Blade Runner
(Ridley Scott, 1982)
Influences: Character development
“Blade Runner’s morality influenced the storytelling of our show. It is so fascinating. The ending scene is so beautiful between Rutger Hauer and Harrison Ford. Even though Hauer is the villain, you don’t hate him at the end. And Ford could have gotten killed — and now I am totally spoiling the movie for anyone who is reading this, so you have to put up the spoiler alert — but he doesn’t kill him! It’s so beautiful, and there is not really a good-guy-bad-guy scenario. There is just this grey area that is so ambiguous, and it is the same with Tyrell. Even if you hate him, you still love watching him.”

http://www.vulture.com/2015/07/mr-robot-influences-taxi-driver-girls.html
So, three or four seasons with one story arc? Looking forward to it!

Offline edge

• hill, getting off at...with a dijk still hard...
  • Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #253 on: July 6, 2016, 01:25:04 pm »
New season starts next week! Can't wait for this! My favorite show on TV at the moment.

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: July 11, 2016, 08:53:28 am »
First episode of season 2 is now available from the "usual sources".
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: July 11, 2016, 12:15:34 pm »
Get in. Can't wait for this season

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: July 11, 2016, 02:56:57 pm »
First episode of season 2 is now available from the "usual sources".
Getting it as we speak ;)

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #257 on: July 11, 2016, 06:44:46 pm »

Is it the full episode or just part of it ?. The comments on IPT seem to suggest it's not the full episode .
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: July 11, 2016, 07:14:42 pm »
There are two parts of 40ish minutes that form a double-episode showing on Weds night. This is the first one.
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: July 13, 2016, 02:42:41 am »
Watched it earlier. There's a quote in it that reminded me of brexit. See if anyone can spot it.

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #260 on: July 13, 2016, 10:44:19 am »
Series
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #262 on: July 13, 2016, 01:07:54 pm »
?

Just a personal thing, don't like the term season, its one of the many Americanisms that have made it into the English language

http://whatculture.com/tv/tv-debate-the-british-series-vs-the-american-season

I'm sure people will comment that if its an American programme then the term season is apt but I just don't like it

I am a miserable old fart

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: July 14, 2016, 01:47:28 am »
Just a personal thing, don't like the term season, its one of the many Americanisms that have made it into the English language

http://whatculture.com/tv/tv-debate-the-british-series-vs-the-american-season

I'm sure people will comment that if its an American programme then the term season is apt but I just don't like it

I am a miserable old fart

You'll pry "season" from my cold, dead, Yank hands!

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: July 15, 2016, 04:19:29 pm »
no one watched ep part 2?

Spoiler
Not got properly going yet, but that ending came from nowhere. Elliot still trying to master Mr Robot, Tyrell still missing (but might have been him on the phone), Angela becoming more and more a part of the system. Was surprised to see Craig Robinson play a part in this series.

[close]

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #265 on: July 15, 2016, 04:28:41 pm »
no one watched ep part 2?

Spoiler
Not got properly going yet, but that ending came from nowhere. Elliot still trying to master Mr Robot, Tyrell still missing (but might have been him on the phone), Angela becoming more and more a part of the system. Was surprised to see Craig Robinson play a part in this series.

[close]
Yep watched it last night, not too bad but nothing really moving forward (besides the ending), hopefully they're done now with laying the ground work for what's to come.

Not sure I can take much more on the mooching around front! ::)

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: July 15, 2016, 05:06:13 pm »
Yep watched it last night, not too bad but nothing really moving forward (besides the ending), hopefully they're done now with laying the ground work for what's to come.

Not sure I can take much more on the mooching around front! ::)

Spoiler
there's a theory that Elliot is actually in prison/mental hospital right now - Craig Robinson being a prison guard and all that ... i can see that being true
[close]

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: July 15, 2016, 05:35:54 pm »
Spoiler
there's a theory that Elliot is actually in prison/mental hospital right now - Craig Robinson being a prison guard and all that ... i can see that being true
[close]

Spoiler
That's a great shout! When he first appeared I assumed he was in some sort of institute but then as we went through his day I thought I'd been mistaken. Looking back at it all now though it does make sense that he'd be in a hospital, sharing every meal with a guy who only has access to Seinfeld box sets, watching the same group of people play basketball every day and following the same strict steps. Even in that last scene, the phone he was on was mounted on the wall like you'd expect a phone in a hospital/prison to be.
[close]

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #268 on: July 15, 2016, 10:35:32 pm »
Can I be the annoying guy and ask that theory spoilers be labelled as such :D?

With the second season people are going to double down on theories for this, they're bound to uncover the truth way before we find out on the show. I like to shut my mind off and be surprised when it happens.

Incidentally the theory above seems more or less spot on already :P
:D

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: July 15, 2016, 10:44:24 pm »
Theories aside...am I the only one who thought the actress playing Eliot's sister was awful? As in, director-told-her-to-act-terribly awful? It was really jarring, since she was good last year.

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #270 on: July 15, 2016, 11:05:19 pm »
You'll pry "season" from my cold, dead, Yank hands!

Lol - Not that you care but that's what you grew up with ergo - that's what you call it!

Here we called it series forever until the last 5 years

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: July 16, 2016, 01:02:28 am »
Can I be the annoying guy and ask that theory spoilers be labelled as such :D?

With the second season people are going to double down on theories for this, they're bound to uncover the truth way before we find out on the show. I like to shut my mind off and be surprised when it happens.

Incidentally the theory above seems more or less spot on already :P
oh god, it's the GoT thread all over again  ;)

But yeah, will do from here on out  :wave

btw, for me the show as a whole = series. Each separate batch of episodes = season

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: July 16, 2016, 04:10:31 am »
Lol - Not that you care but that's what you grew up with ergo - that's what you call it!

Here we called it series forever until the last 5 years
btw, for me the show as a whole = series. Each separate batch of episodes = season

See, this is what gets me - I have no issue using country-appropriate nomenclature for things like this (I'll happily say "the second series of The Thick of It," for example), but how does one distinguish between the series as a whole and one...series of it? How has the entire British television industry not descended into anarchy???

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: July 16, 2016, 06:19:21 am »
but how does one distinguish between the series as a whole and one...series of it?
Well here's how it would go with me

Have you seen Breaking Bad? Great series, Season 4 is the best

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #274 on: July 16, 2016, 11:05:15 am »
Well here's how it would go with me

Have you seen Breaking Bad? Great series, Season 4 is the best

Yep. So easy. I had Royhendo once lecturing me on twitter because I mentioned to him 'season'. Like either I am from Great Britain and I 'have' to say it like that or I could possibly give a fuck for a term like this one.

Anyway, watched the two episodes yesterday evening back to back. Necessary introductory transitional ones but a decent watch nonetheless. Nice to see they remain beautifully shot.

Spoiler
State of Angela with the motivational video and the whole scenery about it made me a bit sad
[close]
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #275 on: July 17, 2016, 05:55:20 pm »
Spoiler
[close]

Off reddit. This was in season 1 episode 1.

Spoiler

[close]
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: July 17, 2016, 06:17:33 pm »
*** THEORIES***

Off reddit. This was in season 1 episode 1.

Spoiler

[close]

Spoiler
that'd suggest he was inside in season 1 as well though, which wouldn't make sense. Probably just foreshadowing though (if the theory is correct)

[close]

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: July 18, 2016, 11:07:54 am »
So glad it's back. How many episodes are planned for this season?

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #278 on: July 18, 2016, 05:12:23 pm »
So glad it's back. How many episodes are planned for this season?

12 episodes, counting the season opener as two separate ones.  Season finale is a double episode too.
Sam Esmail is directing every episode (as well as writing the show and being the showrunner)

The scenes between Craig Robinson and Malek were so good. 'Damn man, I'm going to have to go home and listen to some Adele on repeat.'  But I don't know the significance of him yet.

I was quite proud of myself that i recognised that the Evil Corp CEO was meeting 'Janet Yelland' (Chair of Fed), 'Jack Lew' (Treasury Secretary) and whoever the 3rd person was meant to be (Chair of SEC?).

Spoiler

Thought these were very strong openers.  It seems like everyone is struggling to deal with the fallout from last season - Elliot being the most obvious one, but Darlene and Angela are both struggling too. Angela listening to the self-help tapes after being sucked back into Evil Corp was brutal.
The death of Gideon was brutal though. I guess it was written to show that it's always the innocent who get victimised as patsies when major shit happens.  It's an interesting route to take, cos Gideon might have been the one truly sympathetic character in the whole series.

Tyrell's wife is odd.

That was Tyrrell on the phone with Elliot at the end, right?
[close]
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #279 on: July 19, 2016, 09:49:11 am »

I was quite proud of myself that i recognised that the Evil Corp CEO was meeting 'Janet Yelland' (Chair of Fed), 'Jack Lew' (Treasury Secretary) and whoever the 3rd person was meant to be (Chair of SEC?).

Spoiler

Thought these were very strong openers.  It seems like everyone is struggling to deal with the fallout from last season - Elliot being the most obvious one, but Darlene and Angela are both struggling too. Angela listening to the self-help tapes after being sucked back into Evil Corp was brutal.
The death of Gideon was brutal though. I guess it was written to show that it's always the innocent who get victimised as patsies when major shit happens.  It's an interesting route to take, cos Gideon might have been the one truly sympathetic character in the whole series.

Tyrell's wife is odd.

That was Tyrrell on the phone with Elliot at the end, right?
[close]

Ah nice observation that. Lovely scene ( for the way it was shot and its content) as well that rings true as hell too.

Saying that Tyrell's wife is odd is a massive understatement, Ray and also YES to your last question.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.