Author Topic: Pink Floyd  (Read 45744 times)

Offline The Fletcher Memorial

• Feels mildly violat.................. ed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reality is hard to find
Re: Pink Floyd
« Reply #200 on: November 2, 2013, 10:27:11 am »
Oh I did enjoy that last night, my love for these fella’s will never die. Fanfuckingtastic!
The sky does not know of east or of west;
it is in the minds of men where such distinctions are made, and then they believe them to be true.

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #201 on: March 6, 2014, 09:16:49 am »
David Gilmour's birthday today. 68 years young. Happy Birthday, Mr. Gilmour

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: March 6, 2014, 10:34:28 am »
Well in!
it is in the minds of men where such distinctions are made, and then they believe them to be true.

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #203 on: March 6, 2014, 10:37:55 am »
Happy Birthday to my favourite guitarist of all time,

Not that I need an excuse but in celebration I think I'll listen to Comfortably Numb from PULSE as a toast to the man

Offline TheFlyingScouseman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice day
« Reply #204 on: September 2, 2014, 09:14:34 pm »

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #205 on: September 2, 2014, 09:21:00 pm »

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #206 on: September 2, 2014, 09:22:49 pm »
Interesting. Doesn't sounds like Waters was part of it though.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: November 9, 2014, 01:49:44 pm »
Mine came this morning  ;D

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #208 on: November 9, 2014, 02:22:05 pm »
Mine came this morning  ;D

Any good?

Been having a Pink Floyd-y week. Watched a couple of programs about them on Sky Arts and listened to DSOTM and the Division Bell.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: November 10, 2014, 02:13:07 am »
Just having my first listen now
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: November 10, 2014, 06:28:04 am »
Interesting body of work. Almost all instrumental.

In the past Floyd's albums tend to be unique in their style and musical content. Most of their classics tell some story or have a theme to them.

This appears at first listen to contain little snippets of all of their styles they've used thoughtout the years. Not that I'm complaining I quite liked it on first listen.

I looked up pastiche because I wasn't sure what it meant. This appears to be a pastiche by themselves on themselves (if that's possible) :) very Pink Floyd!
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: November 10, 2014, 11:13:05 am »
I gave it one listen through yesterday but I’ve been listening to this since 8 o’clock this morning on repeat and I must say – oh happy days. This is beautiful, I mean truly beautiful. 

I’d earlier posted my thoughts saying how I was a tiny bit disappointed because I hoped rather than expected more. I’ve no fucking clue what I was on about to be blunt and having posted it I realised I hadn’t properly listened to it yet to give an opinion. So I deleted it and I was right to.

Much like the cover artwork, this is like a journey in your own little boat, floating on clouds through a sonic gallery of Pink Floyd memories. Every now and then you will hear echo’s of something familiar, from different periods in Floyd past – sometimes more than one reference in one song.

We begin with a touching recording of Wright talking about the band at the beginning of Things Left Unsaid – “we certainly [have] an unspoken understanding.....er, and a lot of things unsaid as well”. And then Gilmour “ah well we shout and argue and fight and er....work it all out” then a voice I can’t make out saying “the sum is greater than its parts” (Mason possibly?) and we’re off, big sweeping, gentle synths and acoustic guitar weave in and out as they merge seamlessly into It’s What We Do, the sounds here amongst others send you back to Wish You Were Here.

From the ending of Sum into Skins which takes you to Pompeii, to Anisina which has you believing Us and Them has arrived, only to caress you in a new direction and into a new light. Allons-y (1) doffs its cap to Run Like Hell as it passes on down the road into Autumn 68 – a beautiful interlude of church organ playing by Wright before returning to Allons-y (2).

Talkin Hawkin reintroduces the unmistakable and mesmerising sound of Stephen Hawkins and this gives way to the haunting Calling; Wrights keyboards and arrangement providing the perfect direction for the catchy acoustic riff in which follows in Eyes to Pearls (which, strangely, I appear to have two of, back to back, on my CD? Same track just duplicated?)

The penultimate track  - Surfacing – is probably the most identifiable of the time it was written, sounding like it could have easily made it onto Division Bell. Which leaves you with the only track on the album that has vocals on it and that is Louder than Words which I believe was written by Gilmour’s wife and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if it became a Floyd favourite for many and is growing on me massively all the time, just like the whole album.

I think to sum up, this has been carefully and cleverly thought out and put together. It feels fresh to me yet completely familiar in a way I’ve never experienced before. It’s an amazing achievement actually, what they have done here. I can imagine some people to be a little disappointed at first – as I was initially, my knee jerk self after one listen not able to appreciate what I was listening to – but it is a true work of brilliance. To some it may feel as though Floyd have just taken all that they have done and given it to some random producer/mixer to do a sort of “Essence of Floyd” album to bring some extra coin in. Trust me, it’s so far, light years in fact, away from that as you could possibly imagine.

I've barely scratched the surface, this has so much more to give and already I'm hearing new things that I havent mentioned like The Lost Art of Conversation, Wright's piano is gorgeous.

Go and get this – you will not regret it!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 11:29:03 am by The Fletcher Memorial »

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #212 on: November 10, 2014, 01:54:31 pm »
Go and get this – you will not regret it!

I just went out on my lunch break and got it on the strength of your review! No pressure.

Got Meddle and Division Bell as they were only £7 each in Fopp. Might get Animals too. Until today I only had the Wall (my favourite of theirs), DSOTM and Wish You Were Here.

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #213 on: November 10, 2014, 02:20:33 pm »
Can't wait for Christmas and I've a sneaky suspicion that's one of my presents... 

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: November 10, 2014, 02:21:03 pm »
I could listen to PINK FLOYD from morning till night 7 days a week.    :wellin

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #215 on: November 10, 2014, 02:22:23 pm »
Forgot how much I like them until the other day when I just had a good 2 hours listening to them.

Great band
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: November 10, 2014, 02:24:48 pm »
I just went out on my lunch break and got it on the strength of your review! No pressure.

Got Meddle and Division Bell as they were only £7 each in Fopp. Might get Animals too. Until today I only had the Wall (my favourite of theirs), DSOTM and Wish You Were Here.

Oh you lucky sod! Enjoy mate.

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: November 10, 2014, 02:33:49 pm »
I still haven't a clue how to put the videos up in here but here is a link to my Daddies favourite Pink Floyd song.  And what a song it is   8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FStB5_yT9o4

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #218 on: November 10, 2014, 02:35:46 pm »
I still haven't a clue how to put the videos up in here but here is a link to my Daddies favourite Pink Floyd song.  And what a song it is   8)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/FStB5_yT9o4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/FStB5_yT9o4</a>

We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: November 10, 2014, 02:42:19 pm »
Thanks very much Elzar.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: November 10, 2014, 04:35:04 pm »

Animals is an awesome album. A must for any Pink Floyd collection. I'd also include The Final Cut then you'll know why his name on here is The Fletcher Memorial :)
Obi-Wan:

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #221 on: November 10, 2014, 06:58:34 pm »
Animals is an awesome album. A must for any Pink Floyd collection. I'd also include The Final Cut then you'll know why his name on here is The Fletcher Memorial :)

I'm getting there ;D

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: November 10, 2014, 07:00:56 pm »

You can't listen to Pink Floyd and not have the Final Cut.

Actually Piper at the gates of Dawn is pretty much the only album I don't like.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #223 on: November 10, 2014, 07:08:04 pm »
You can't listen to Pink Floyd and not have the Final Cut.

Well, I'm trying very hard... Might bag it on iTunes tonight.

Of those I've listened to, my order of preference is:

The Wall
Wish You Were Here
Dark Side of the Moon
Meddle
The Division Bell

Will be interested to see where the Endless River and Final Cut fit in.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: November 10, 2014, 07:10:09 pm »
If you like Pink Floyd, listen to some Roger Waters solo efforts.

Highly recommend

Amused to Death , Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking and Radio KAOS

Offline TheFlyingScouseman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice day
« Reply #225 on: November 10, 2014, 07:17:03 pm »
Looking forward to listening to this. All instrumental, perfect for lying in bed at night while the lights are off, go on a mystical journey. Dark side for me is still the greatest IMO, I will not forget listening to that for the first time, that sure was an experience.

And for fun: Top 5

1. Dark side of the moon
2. Animals
3. Wish you were here
4. Saucerful of secrets
5. The wall

Seems like the usual choices apart from number 4.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #226 on: November 10, 2014, 07:37:58 pm »
Downloaded Endless River today not listened to it yet but how can it be anything but brilliant, as for tracks ,

1 Wish you were here
2 Comfortably Numb
3 Dogs
4 See Emily Play
5 On the Turning Away
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: November 10, 2014, 09:22:58 pm »

Mine:

1. Dark side of the moon
2. Wish you were here
3. Meddle
4. Animals
5. Atom Heart Mother

About 5.. I know Gilmour has said he thinks it's shite, but it's my dad's favourite Floyd album so kind of how I got into them. He played me Alan's Psychadelic Breakfast which I found hilarious as a kid.. Fat Old Sun is a beautiful song too. I just like it for nostalgia. (The Wall would be next in the list.. I like a lot of it, but not all of it)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 10:40:37 pm by Slick_Beef »

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: November 10, 2014, 09:25:15 pm »
Hmm not sure I can rate them in a top 5 to be honest. It all depends on my mood.

So in no particular order I listen to frequently.

The Wall, Dark Side of the Moon, The Final Cut, Wish You Were Here, Amused to Death, Radio KAOS, Animals.

Offline Father Ted

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: November 10, 2014, 10:05:02 pm »
Side 2 of Atom Heart Mother is great.

A really like the More soundtrack album, despite knowing it's not their best work. I like lots of that noodling, experimental stuff they did after Syd left although the band themselves have been quite disparaging about that period since then. They were inconsistent then but there's loads of amazing stuff to be found amongst the '68-72 period.

I think of the Syd era as a different band really, it's so different to everything that followed. I love Piper At The Gates of Dawn though, despite it's fault (The Gnome and Take Up Thy Stethoscope mainly). It's disappointing there hasn't been a proper release for any Syd-era outtakes, stuff like Vegetable Man etc. I know they're available elsewhere but usually the quality is pretty poor.

There's great live bootleg called New Mown Grass taken from an early-70's tour that's worth checking out too.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dhIEBztbVXQ?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dhIEBztbVXQ?fs=1</a>

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #230 on: November 10, 2014, 10:06:36 pm »
Looking forward to listening to this. All instrumental, perfect for lying in bed at night while the lights are off, go on a mystical journey. Dark side for me is still the greatest IMO, I will not forget listening to that for the first time, that sure was an experience.

1. Dark side of the moon

DSOTM
I listened to it for the first time in Germany in 1977. Last record at a party and a beautiful girl falling asleep next to me...being 15 doesn't get much better than that.

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: November 10, 2014, 10:54:35 pm »

There's great live bootleg called New Mown Grass taken from an early-70's tour that's worth checking out too.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dhIEBztbVXQ?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dhIEBztbVXQ?fs=1</a>

Nice, thanks for sharing.

I agree with your post. The pre DSOTM period is often unpolished but there are some real gems in there. When I was a teenager I used to lie in bed on a sunday morning playing the live in pompeii dvd, good times.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: November 10, 2014, 11:33:43 pm »
So is this new LP worth the punt? Thinking of getting the father in law the 2xLP for Christmas, but listened to two tracks on youtube and it sounds a bit ploddy? At £37 + postage, do I just go for the CD? Hmmn. Persuasive words from Fletcher M above.

Not sure if I could conjure up a top 5 albums in a 1,2,3 order. I think I OD'd on The Wall when I was younger and hadn't listened to it for years till some months back. Was good to hear it again. So in no order (bar release date).. Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother, The Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals.

I love Piper At The Gates of Dawn though, despite it's fault (The Gnome and Take Up Thy Stethoscope mainly).

Take Up Thy Stethoscope is one of my favourites from that LP. The Gnome isn't ;D

Offline redan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #233 on: November 11, 2014, 08:42:57 am »
Not brought the new album yet but then again I really didn't like the Post Waters albums much anyway so I'm not in any hurry. In saying that hearing Rick's playing again on 'new' songs is very appealing,

Top 5 Albums;
1. The Wall
2. Animals
3. The Dark Side of The Moon
4. Wish You Were Here
5. Meddle

not many surprises

Top 5 Songs;
1. Comfortably Numb (especially the PULSE Version)
2. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (all of it!)
3. Echoes
4. In The Flesh?
5. High Hopes 

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #234 on: November 11, 2014, 09:08:59 am »
If you like Pink Floyd, listen to some Roger Waters solo efforts.

Think it probably depends which 'phase' of Pink Floyd you prefer. To me there are four - the Barret years (the first two albums really, though his influence goes on a longer), the post-Barret years (More to Wish You Were Here), the darker Waters-dominated years (Animals to the Final Cut) or the Gilmour led years (the last three albums).

The Division Bell and, say, Meddle for example are so very different from Waters' solo stuff.

Offline redan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #235 on: November 11, 2014, 09:41:42 am »
Think it probably depends which 'phase' of Pink Floyd you prefer. To me there are four - the Barret years (the first two albums really, though his influence goes on a longer), the post-Barret years (More to Wish You Were Here), the darker Waters-dominated years (Animals to the Final Cut) or the Gilmour led years (the last three albums).

The Division Bell and, say, Meddle for example are so very different from Waters' solo stuff.

Indeed,

I personally loved the Waters led era therefore I also love his solo stuff but I certainly wouldn't recommend it to someone who preferred earlier Floyd.

I always use the way you've listed it to anybody who's interested in getting 'into' the Floyd. I describe them as a brand not a band because of how radically their sound changed throughout the era. Not just in an evolved 'Beatles' type way but actually being written by different people,

I don't know how Floyd 'best-of's' work because they must sound like a multi artist compilation. Having See Emily Play next to Echoes, followed by Hey You and Learning to Fly must be interesting to hear

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: November 11, 2014, 10:11:59 am »
the Barrett years (the first two albums really, though his influence goes on a longer)

That's the era for me. I like bits and pieces of the stuff that follows, up to about WYWH, but not at all into the rest really. It is really interesting seeing how people can be into one period of the band and not another. Very interesting.

Out of interest, why is it that Liverpool absolutely fucking loves the Floyd? I mean, I still see their name graffiti'd around, used to work in a bar where the manager had sprayed it all over the place - what is it about the Floyd that Liverpool particularly has taken to? I know as a massive band that they have fans everywhere, but Scousers of a certain vintage all seem to absolutely fucking love Pink Floyd. Did they do some awesome shows here or something?
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: November 11, 2014, 10:18:00 am »
I don't know how Floyd 'best-of's' work because they must sound like a multi artist compilation. Having See Emily Play next to Echoes, followed by Hey You and Learning to Fly must be interesting to hear

Interesting you say that and while I agree with you on the different sounds/styles/writing that they have gone through in phases rather than evolved, there is definitely something beautifully all encompassing about The Endless River that manages to bring it all together for me.

Granted there is next to nothing remaining of the very early days and also a less noticeable Waters vibe, which is understandable, but there are elements in there that take you back to his influence and time like Pompeii in Mason’s drumming, The Wall in the vocal harmonies and even at a push to The Final Cut in Wrights keyboards.

I’ll shut up now, but I am loving this album – can you tell

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: November 11, 2014, 10:21:22 am »
Out of interest, why is it that Liverpool absolutely fucking loves the Floyd? I mean, I still see their name graffiti'd around, used to work in a bar where the manager had sprayed it all over the place - what is it about the Floyd that Liverpool particularly has taken to? I know as a massive band that they have fans everywhere, but Scousers of a certain vintage all seem to absolutely fucking love Pink Floyd. Did they do some awesome shows here or something?

Because we’re fucking boss la! They knew this when they recorded the Kop for Fearless. It’s like scousers and proper adidas trainees, the fashion, the football, the music, the culture. We’re just fucking boss that’s all  ;D

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: November 11, 2014, 11:01:56 am »
On yeah forgot about YNWA on Fearless! Classic stoner record that, meddle. Remember my mate putting it in in the car (parked up) and  blowing my tiny teenage mind...
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.