Author Topic: DC Mega Topic, it's not the MCU  (Read 330539 times)

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
Re: DC Mega Topic, it's not the MCU
« Reply #4320 on: February 25, 2023, 07:10:51 pm »
love that film, was a few around from the mid 80s that ilk, ruthless people, midnight run, outrageous fortune etc, and iirc Get Shorty was the tailend of it

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/O31rBYqYkuQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/O31rBYqYkuQ</a>

outrageous fortune lol
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/SWYygH-FfSM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/SWYygH-FfSM</a>

if you haven't seen any of the films i mentioned above, do yourself a favour and check them out, guaranteed funny, excellently written, directed and acted movies with a slew of top actors, especially supporting character actors

sorry, sidetrack over
« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 07:15:18 pm by Armand9 »
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4321 on: March 9, 2023, 04:51:19 pm »
Shazam 2 out next week, is Shazam also being cut out of the next phase etc?

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4322 on: June 17, 2023, 09:48:53 pm »
Anyone else seen The Flash yet then, thought it was fine for what it is.

Spoiler
I laughed so fucking much at the end when George Clooney showed up as Bruce Wayne. [\spoiler]
[close]
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #4323 on: June 19, 2023, 02:55:22 pm »
Anyone else seen The Flash yet then, thought it was fine for what it is.

Spoiler
I laughed so fucking much at the end when George Clooney showed up as Bruce Wayne. [\spoiler]
[close]
Yeah saw it last week. I liked the incident you mentioned.

Aside from that, though it was largely terrible: unfinished CGI, overblown storyline and dull action. Multi-verse material has been done far better elsewhere, including the current number one film in the charts.

Tanking at the box office as well.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4324 on: June 19, 2023, 05:20:49 pm »
Yeah saw it last week. I liked the incident you mentioned.

Aside from that, though it was largely terrible: unfinished CGI, overblown storyline and dull action. Multi-verse material has been done far better elsewhere, including the current number one film in the charts.

Tanking at the box office as well.

I thought it was perfectly ok, verging on good - I rate it around the 6 or 7 out of 10 mark - which for my money places it well within the top 5 DCEU films ever (the only other films I'd rate at least that high would be Wonder Woman, Shazam, Shazam 2 and maybe Aquaman), which is a damining indictment of the DCEU  especially, compared to the MCU (where I think maybe only 5 I'd actually rate lower).

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #4325 on: June 20, 2023, 09:23:53 am »
I actually really enjoyed it. It’s daft and nonsensical but I go to the cinema to watch these kind of things to be entertained and I most certainly was. I’d say it was the best non-Spider-Man comic book film for a few years actually.

Could have been great but for a few weird creative choices however I had fun and that’s what I want

Online wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4326 on: June 20, 2023, 09:31:28 am »
Multi-verse material has been done far better elsewhere, including the current number one film in the charts.
And The Flash TV show.

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4327 on: June 21, 2023, 11:37:43 am »
I actually really enjoyed it. It’s daft and nonsensical but I go to the cinema to watch these kind of things to be entertained and I most certainly was. I’d say it was the best non-Spider-Man comic book film for a few years actually.

Could have been great but for a few weird creative choices however I had fun and that’s what I want

I definitely can't agree with your first statement, like at all.  Just off the top of my head, since covid (so mid 2021), I'd say I prefer almost all the MCU films - I don't think anyone would argue that the Flash is a better film than GOTG3/Black Panther 2/Shang Chi (BP2 is the weakest of those, at a 7.5/10, but thats still better than 6.5 which was my ranking for Flash); but I personally also prefer Quantum Mania (7/10 also), Doctor Strange (6.5/10 also); even Thor 4 (I rated it 6/10) is about the same for me.  Black Widow I also rated about a 6/10, maybe a 5.5.  Only really Eternals was a true stinker (I thought 4/10 was probably about fair).  Even Shazam 2 earlier this year I found about as enjoyable.

Yes, it's the best *DC* film (along with Shazam 2) since Shazam 1 in 2019, but that is not a particularly high bar to clear!  I'd also say that 

Spoiler
The best thing about the film, and what elevated it to a 6.5/10 for me, was Michael Keaton - not the main character or the plot or anything else, but just being able to see him back as batman - hardly a ringing endorsement
[close]

I'd also say that most MCU TV projects were at least as enjoyable, at least for me - Loki/Wandavision/Ms Marvel/GOTG Holiday Special were all way better for instance.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4328 on: June 27, 2023, 09:03:46 pm »
New Superman coming - David Corenswet to play the role in Gunn's Superman Legacy. Rachel Brosnahan (Marvelous Mrs Maisel) is Lois Lane.

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4329 on: June 27, 2023, 09:17:45 pm »
I mean he certainly looks like a Superman

Also apparently tested Alexander and Bill Skarsgard for Lex Luthor, and perhaps Nicholas Hoult (who originally auditioned for Luthor, become a top 3 candidate for Superman, but may have also still been in the running for Luthor).

After Succession I really wouldn't mind Alexander Skarsgard as Luthor, he really can play that charming, chilling, a little weird in the public eye, narcissistic, ultimately sociopathic billionaire really well

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4330 on: June 27, 2023, 09:37:31 pm »
I mean he certainly looks like a Superman

Also apparently tested Alexander and Bill Skarsgard for Lex Luthor, and perhaps Nicholas Hoult (who originally auditioned for Luthor, become a top 3 candidate for Superman, but may have also still been in the running for Luthor).

After Succession I really wouldn't mind Alexander Skarsgard as Luthor, he really can play that charming, chilling, a little weird in the public eye, narcissistic, ultimately sociopathic billionaire really well

Yeah, don't remember seeing Corenswet in anything but he's obviously a bit of a blank slate, which is ideal really. Brosnahan feels like a great Lois Lane though, you can see the Kidder resemblance and she was a force of nature in Marvelous Mrs Maisel. Feel like the role had been miscast in recent years, love Amy Adams but she wasn't a great fit IMO.

Curious to see the approach they take, apparently the idea is Superman emerging in a world where superheroes already exist so there's going to be lots of established heroes, and seems a big part is going to be The Authority, who I'm not familiar with.

I'd bet on Hoult landing the Luthor role, poor lad has now missed out on both Batman and Superman (but he was Beast!)

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #4331 on: July 20, 2023, 07:02:02 am »
The Flash movie is about now

They are saying Aquaman 2 has just had a 3rd round of reshoots and Batman has been cut from the film
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4332 on: July 20, 2023, 02:18:17 pm »
The Flash movie is about now

They are saying Aquaman 2 has just had a 3rd round of reshoots and Batman has been cut from the film

Batmen. Keaton had already had his bit cut, now Affleck has been removed too - because they don't want to be seen setting up future films that won't happen.

Amazingly, apparently Aquaman is the highest grossing DCEU film?!

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4333 on: July 20, 2023, 04:53:35 pm »
The Flash movie is..... about now

.. a load of shit, the tv show did it much,much,much better.

Ezra really is a bit shit as well isn't he & that's not just bitterness at him having previous with Zoë Kravitz, the lucky bastard.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #4334 on: July 20, 2023, 10:08:54 pm »
After finally seeing GOTG3 and James Gunn knock it out of the park again I'm actually looking forward to what he does with the DC stuff.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4335 on: July 20, 2023, 11:02:25 pm »
.. a load of shit, the tv show did it much,much,much better.

Ezra really is a bit shit as well isn't he & that's not just bitterness at him having previous with Zoë Kravitz, the lucky bastard.

Not to be one of those dickheads, but it's they. They are in fact a bit shit like, and also allegedly a bit of a psycho criminal and supervillain to the state of Hawaii  ;D

But yeah Flash is shit, and honestly a bit disgusting in places. It is also a humongous, catastrophic bomb - including marketing it has lost around $200 million. They literally would have been better off burning the tapes than bringing the movie out
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 11:07:14 pm by Stockholm Syndrome »

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #4336 on: July 21, 2023, 08:52:24 am »
The domestic gross is going to be less than Green Lantern. It’s an absolute failure.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4337 on: July 22, 2023, 12:06:04 am »
I’ve an unlimited card so I went to see this last week, probs wouldn’t have without it being “free”. I actually enjoyed it. Basically all down to Keaton who I love. Enjoyed it even more I’d say.

Keaton and the “cameos” excellent. Ezra Miller I really dislike though.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2023, 03:20:17 pm by Livbes »

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #4338 on: July 22, 2023, 08:58:28 pm »
I enjoyed The Flash more than I thought I would.

I liked the Eric Stoltz running joke seeing he was going to play Marty McFly in Back to the future but was sacked by Zemeckis during filming
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4339 on: July 22, 2023, 09:26:43 pm »
I feel like I've seen movies/shows where Eric Stoltz is referenced more often than I've ever actually seen him in anything.

Other than that, I thought the first act or so of The Flash was absolutely cringeworthy and about as bad as it gets as far as DC is concerned. The rest of the movie was mostly the usual generic action with poorly done over the top effects. The only redeeming aspect was of course Keaton, and the various references to past Batmen and Supermen (including one that never was).

I thought it was funny how when traveling through time all of Flash's memories were rendered in absolutely god awful CGI. I have a feeling that wasn't the intent initially, but at some point during post-production someone just thought "fuck it, this is gonna take too long to do properly".

It's a shame because the Flashpoint animated movie is excellent, but with this being set in the current DCEU incarnation it never stood a chance. It'll be interesting to see what Gunn does, I have a feeling Warner will want to hold on to certain aspects of the existing universe which may make a reboot difficult to nail.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4340 on: July 23, 2023, 10:24:12 am »
Feels like this current trend of nostalgia in comic book movies and bringing back actors from old superhero franchises needs to stop. Cheap pops from the crowd might feel good, but it's hollow. These films need to stand on their own, rather than relying on bringing back the likes of Keaton, as much as we might enjoy it at first.

Deadpool is going to be very guilty of this, but hopefully that marks an end to it.

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4341 on: August 31, 2023, 10:38:38 pm »
Thought Blue Beetle was good fun. Ridiculous but fun. I liked Xolo in Cobra Kai and think he is very good in this. Very likeable.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4342 on: October 23, 2023, 11:45:46 am »
Batman Animated Series coming to Netflix on 21 November. Been waiting to rewatch that for ages.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4343 on: November 21, 2023, 07:55:01 am »
Batman Animated Series coming to Netflix on 21 November. Been waiting to rewatch that for ages.

Today’s the day!

In other DC news, Nicholas Hoult has been cast as Lex Luthor in Gunn’s Superman film. He’d come close to getting the main role apparently.

Online Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4344 on: November 22, 2023, 09:23:57 am »
Today’s the day!

In other DC news, Nicholas Hoult has been cast as Lex Luthor in Gunn’s Superman film. He’d come close to getting the main role apparently.

He could be good in that role. Hopefully he plays it serious and not like the awkward tech bro Synder went for.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4345 on: November 22, 2023, 09:28:18 am »
I like Hoult for Luthor, that's good casting.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4346 on: November 22, 2023, 01:51:36 pm »

Yeah it is really excellent. I still think the perfect one is Mark Strong, but maybe a bit too old for this story now and I assume this type of Luthor (I guess more of a Jeff Bezos/Mark Zuckerberg/Elon Musk type evil Billionaire rather than the maniacally evil supervillain Luthor was)

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #4347 on: November 22, 2023, 02:55:47 pm »

Good news for him as well, as he missed out on a role in the last Mission Impossible film.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Online markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4348 on: December 22, 2023, 07:10:10 am »
Anyone going to se acquaman

It appears even if it has does well, (which it  likely won't as it has little press)  This is the end for the current DCU

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #4349 on: December 27, 2023, 10:34:00 pm »
Saw Aquaman2 this evening. Full of action and enjoyable enough. Nothing outstanding, but not as bad as being made out
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4350 on: March 24, 2024, 04:32:43 pm »
Watched the Flash this weekend. What a dumb film.

Spoiler
Why doesn’t Barry care who actually killed his mum?! The director said in an interview it was Reverse Flash who killed her. So make that the plot instead of having no villain, apart from an aged Barry who dies in the scene he’s properly introduced.

And why end with a crap gag about Clooney?

The multiverse scene with all the Superman variants was one of the most egregious nostalgia stunts I’ve ever seen.

Keaton was good, but you bring a really grounded Batman back and instantly put him in an alien battle where all he can do is fly a plane. Such a waste.
[close]

Offline DarkOfTheManatee

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4351 on: March 24, 2024, 09:50:07 pm »
Watched the Flash this weekend. What a dumb film.

Spoiler
Why doesn’t Barry care who actually killed his mum?! The director said in an interview it was Reverse Flash who killed her. So make that the plot instead of having no villain, apart from an aged Barry who dies in the scene he’s properly introduced.

And why end with a crap gag about Clooney?

The multiverse scene with all the Superman variants was one of the most egregious nostalgia stunts I’ve ever seen.

Keaton was good, but you bring a really grounded Batman back and instantly put him in an alien battle where all he can do is fly a plane. Such a waste.
[close]
It's the most depressing example (so far) of how the multiverse concept is actually being used in superhero films: not to explore interesting stories, but primarily as a mechanism for piling on nostalgia-bait, bringing back old characters and inserting random Easter eggs, in the hope that people go "I understood that reference!" and the film catches some of the resulting halo effect.

Spiderman No Way Home and Doctor Strange 2 were other examples, albeit less egregiously. The DCEU films seem to have a tendency to take things done by other superhero films and amp them up to the nth degree, regardless of whether it suits the characters or actually makes for a good movie. It's like they see ingredients being used but don't know what recipe they're for.

Other examples include Man of Steel going dark and gritty like the Nolan Batman films, except with a character who is the antithesis to Batman (although, to be fair, that might have worked in differentiating the DCEU from the MCU, had they not hired a director who is the antithesis to Nolan). And the first Suicide Squad using the irreverent humour and jukebox stylings of Guardians of the Galaxy, but instead of appropriate songs at opportune moments, they just crammed in ten tunes back-to-back.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4352 on: March 25, 2024, 11:37:42 am »
I think what No Way Home and Multiverse of Madness had in their favour is that they were actually films about the multiverse. Obviously there was a good amount of nostalgia bait in there, but in the case of Spiderman having Maguire and Garfield was central to the film. And in Dr Strange, the cameos were limited to that one scene with the Illuminati, and Xavier was the only one that was really going for that nostalgia feel.

But in the Flash it was so egregious. It wasn't really a multiverse film, just a film about the dangers of travelling back in time. To all of a sudden have a scene where you're seeing all the different versions of Superman was so unwarranted. At least in the Marvel films they actually brought the actors back and got them to film new material. The Flash just takes old footage of dead actors, or CGIs actors who have never played Superman at all.