Author Topic: Roberto Firmino  (Read 2052788 times)

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
Re: Roberto Firmino
« Reply #14960 on: November 16, 2022, 08:15:23 pm »
Most Headed goals for Liverpool in the Premier League.

#1 Fowler 266 games -- 21 goals

#2 Firmino 244 games -- 18 goals.

Not having a go at you .. but have all record pre 1992 been erased?

I’d like to know how many Toshack got

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #14961 on: November 16, 2022, 09:35:57 pm »

74 League Goals in 172 but don’t know how many were headers. Would it be more than Fowler’s total?

https://www.lfchistory.net/Stats/PlayerGoalscorers/1

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #14962 on: November 17, 2022, 12:29:56 am »

Blame LFCTV. They had the stat on their Southampton post-match program. Had nothing to do with me. And yes, I know football was invented before 1992 as i'm the same age as King Kenny.  :P
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14963 on: November 17, 2022, 02:16:50 am »

What 4Pool posted was for the PL so of course Toshack wasn't mentioned.

These days virtually every league  stat quotes PL only. 

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14964 on: November 17, 2022, 07:03:23 am »
What 4Pool posted was for the PL so of course Toshack wasn't mentioned.

These days virtually every league  stat quotes PL only. 

Yes, I’m aware of that - and I know that stats probably weren’t collected as widely pre 92 either.

Anyway, back to Bobby. He offers something the others don’t and with Jota, Nunez, Diaz and Carvalho all well below 30, I’m all for keeping him on.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14965 on: November 17, 2022, 08:26:03 am »
Exactly. Ball in from the left, striker moving right to left to go for the header meeting the ball to the left of the penalty spot from the keepers POV, 16 yards out, most times it's going to be headed to the keepers left so keeper adjusts, Bobby instead uses the pace and flicks it in the one place you don't expect it to go, great header

It's  a brilliant header and you're correct that the keeper shifts his weight to the left. That's what beat him. I initially thought it was bad keeping.
Does Ali save it?  Probably, but still a great header.  Bazuna looks a great young keeper from the Ireland games I've seen him play though.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14966 on: November 17, 2022, 10:23:30 am »
It's  a brilliant header and you're correct that the keeper shifts his weight to the left. That's what beat him. I initially thought it was bad keeping.
Does Ali save it?  Probably, but still a great header.  Bazuna looks a great young keeper from the Ireland games I've seen him play though.

I'm not sure. For their goal, he anticipated Adams going far corner and dived the wrong way, so unless he guessed what Bobby would do, I'm not sure he'd have gotten across either.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14967 on: November 17, 2022, 12:09:04 pm »
Can't see why him being 30 or 31 matters, his game was never about pace.  I'd deffo give him another contract for 2 maybe 3 more years.  Vital part of the squad and brings something different to the game plan (he's also been banging them in so far this season)

Are Henderson, Milner, Fabinho's game about pace?

Offline Aldo1988

• Legacy Fan
  • Superduperfan & Whopper. Ooh sexist.
« Reply #14968 on: November 17, 2022, 12:26:16 pm »
Are Henderson, Milner, Fabinho's game about pace?

What's that got to do with Bobby?
"Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?"

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14969 on: November 17, 2022, 12:28:51 pm »
What's that got to do with Bobby?

Point is just because a player doesn't have pace, or rely on pace, that the aging process means they are still effective into their 30's. Milner never relied on pace, nor did Henderson, yet our midfield looks completely devoid of energy and aggression.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14970 on: November 17, 2022, 12:35:35 pm »
And if you don't have much to start with losing what you did have is arguably more problematic.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #14971 on: November 17, 2022, 12:42:10 pm »
I thought the goal was a great header with questionable goalkeeping. The way he dived for it was strange and it did look like he had a decent reach in general.

Good news about the contract which I think will be announced quite soon. Looks like this won't be his last season after all. Even if we sell him in 2024 with a year left or so we'll be able to recoup some sort of fee. Now wasn't his time to depart IMO.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Aldo1988

• Legacy Fan
  • Superduperfan & Whopper. Ooh sexist.
« Reply #14972 on: November 17, 2022, 12:44:09 pm »
Point is just because a player doesn't have pace, or rely on pace, that the aging process means they are still effective into their 30's. Milner never relied on pace, nor did Henderson, yet our midfield looks completely devoid of energy and aggression.

Isn't Milner 36 now, and Hendo doesn't look like he's devoid of energy or aggression.  Think everyone is suffering a bit from the amount of games played last season, the short pre-season on injuries.  Bobby will be fine for a few more seasons.  He will be a valuable squad member for 2-3 more years.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 12:50:27 pm by Aldo1988 »
"Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?"

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #14973 on: November 17, 2022, 12:51:17 pm »
If its a two year contract, seems a bit of a no brainer. 9 goals and 4 assists already this season at a rate of a G/A every 105 minutes, and he'll soon drop out of our first choice XI once Luis is fit.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #14974 on: November 17, 2022, 01:01:05 pm »
I'm not sure. For their goal, he anticipated Adams going far corner and dived the wrong way, so unless he guessed what Bobby would do, I'm not sure he'd have gotten across either.

No one guesses what Bobby would do.

Bobby doesn't guess what Bobby would do.
'I reckon we'll win the League 24/25 and you can quote me on that.' -- El Tel...

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14975 on: November 17, 2022, 01:36:35 pm »
We can pay him since Ox, Keita, and Milner will be off the books!

The shell game we play makes it so.

Kidding aside - I'd like to see him extended for a short-term deal - nothing with a significant increase in wages though. He can spell the forwards, but also now seems comfortable as an attacking mid.

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14976 on: November 17, 2022, 02:11:53 pm »
Most Headed goals for Liverpool in the Premier League.

#1 Fowler 266 games -- 21 goals

#2 Firmino 244 games -- 18 goals.

A combined 39 ear infections between them. A pharmaceutical company's wet dream.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14977 on: November 17, 2022, 02:13:27 pm »
No one guesses what Bobby would do.

Bobby doesn't guess what Bobby would do.

;D
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Xanderzone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14978 on: November 17, 2022, 03:08:39 pm »
I think the deeper role he's been playing this season suits him.

Don't think he's got the legs to play up front and press like crazy to like he once could. But in the attacking midfield role he still has something to offer and could prolong his career here by another season or two.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14979 on: November 17, 2022, 03:22:36 pm »
At our best we've had players in the squad who didn't have the ability to play our high intensity game. Origi and Shaq spring to mind. They still contributed, mostly from the bench. I think bobby fits that mould now. Although a superior player to either.  We'll fix the obvious midfield problems first.

Even the great managers rely on luck and Klopp lucked out inheriting this guy.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #14980 on: November 17, 2022, 04:36:09 pm »
Without knowing the terms of his possible renewal it's hard to say if it's a good deal or not. We have a finite budget, it all matters to a degree. This could also be a PR move same as with Mane where we want to get it out that we did make an offer. Just deciding to negotiate when a player is a on a clear hot streak when you had months and months before to decide if you wanted him still or not isn't really "smart" for the supposedly "smartest" transfer team in the business but what do I know.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #14981 on: November 17, 2022, 05:47:04 pm »
Retaining him makes a lot of sense. Firstly, his experience is invaluable and especially now with us having a strong South American contingent he is surely great in to have in the squad. Secondly, he hasn't completely fallen off a cliff; he might not be the pressing machine of old but he can still do it and his movement is still sharp and clever. Additionally, he's having a decent goalscoring season for us and maybe that is something he can maintain or even improve on into his 30s, it isn't completely unheard of.

I don't see why we would let him go if keeping him suits all parties. He's not a guaranteed starter now but he's a valuable and viable option and he's universally loved.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14982 on: November 17, 2022, 06:00:14 pm »
ppl losing their shit over a new deal for Bobby, wailing that we need new blood, are missing something pretty obvious imo.

the two things are not mutually exclusive.

if we sign young run-all-day guys and they settle in and perform well, great.  Bobby can get minutes off the bench / in rotation starts .... then in a year or two we can move him on with his value protected.

if we don't sign the guys we need in the next 12 months, keeping him in the squad is nothing but good.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14983 on: November 17, 2022, 06:27:21 pm »
Without knowing the terms of his possible renewal it's hard to say if it's a good deal or not. We have a finite budget, it all matters to a degree. This could also be a PR move same as with Mane where we want to get it out that we did make an offer. Just deciding to negotiate when a player is a on a clear hot streak when you had months and months before to decide if you wanted him still or not isn't really "smart" for the supposedly "smartest" transfer team in the business but what do I know.

My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14984 on: November 18, 2022, 08:09:20 am »
I think the sensible thing would be to let him move on and replace him with someone younger, but as long as we aren’t relying on him, and he’s happy with a squad role then I’m okay with it. I love the guy and I’d like to see him get a few more trophies before leaving. I’m sure the priority is funding changes in midfield, so he saves us from having to make an attacking signing too.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #14985 on: November 18, 2022, 10:01:20 am »
ppl losing their shit over a new deal for Bobby, wailing that we need new blood, are missing something pretty obvious imo.

if we sign young run-all-day guys and they settle in and perform well, great.  Bobby can get minutes off the bench / in rotation starts .... then in a year or two we can move him on with his value protected.

if we don't sign the guys we need in the next 12 months, keeping him in the squad is nothing but good.

They can be. I was happy for Milner to stay another year, and didn't want him to leave, but I said at the time not at the expense of signing another midfielder which is ultimately what happened. Had Milner moved on we'd have surely been quicker in the market to replace him.

I actually hope Bobby does stay but again not at the expense of strengthening where we need to.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Redric1970

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14986 on: November 18, 2022, 10:03:34 am »
Obviously we will need to replace Bobby at some point, but midfield is the priority so if keeping Bobby for an extra year means we can bring in at least 2 world class midfielders it makes sense.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14987 on: November 18, 2022, 10:23:28 am »

In a lot of ways they are mutually exclusive.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14988 on: November 18, 2022, 11:20:49 am »
Obviously we will need to replace Bobby at some point, but midfield is the priority so if keeping Bobby for an extra year means we can bring in at least 2 world class midfielders it makes sense.
I just don't see the issue with it. In the grand scheme of things its a fairly low risk/low cost way of having experienced depth in our forward line. We've added Jota, Diaz and Nunez in the last couple of years. All younger and will hopefully give us the 5+ years of service that the original front 3 have. An extension keeps options open and helps with the transition.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14989 on: November 18, 2022, 11:38:51 am »
I just don't see the issue with it. In the grand scheme of things its a fairly low risk/low cost way of having experienced depth in our forward line. We've added Jota, Diaz and Nunez in the last couple of years. All younger and will hopefully give us the 5+ years of service that the original front 3 have. An extension keeps options open and helps with the transition.

A year extension isn’t massively costly but 2 or 3 years at 180,000 per week adds up!

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #14990 on: November 18, 2022, 11:40:20 am »

And where would be without his contribution this season. Obviously you can’t extrapolate that for future seasons but, subject to the usual caveats, having him and Henderson filling the ‘senior’ roles isn’t a bad thing.

Good role models for any English or Portuguese speaking players we sign. ;D
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 11:56:39 am by So... Howard Phillips »

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14991 on: November 18, 2022, 11:54:25 am »
A year extension isn’t massively costly but 2 or 3 years at 180,000 per week adds up!

I guess it depends what he is on or will be on. But there are always these debates about where the money is for new signings and it involves people saying we have invested in wages. If thats the case then surely it makes sense to lose players who are no longer key, to free up money for fees.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14992 on: November 18, 2022, 12:02:52 pm »
I guess it depends what he is on or will be on. But there are always these debates about where the money is for new signings and it involves people saying we have invested in wages. If thats the case then surely it makes sense to lose players who are no longer key, to free up money for fees.

Oxlade Chamberlain, Keita and Milner are all seemingly leaving in the summer. Thats allegedly £400k odd a week off the wage bill. 748 minutes between them, seven starts in total this season, no goals and one assist. I'd suggest they're probably ticking the box for losing players who are no longer key, to free up money, rather than bumping off someone who has played pretty much every game and is our second most productive player this season.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #14993 on: November 18, 2022, 12:03:41 pm »

Ultimately we have an annual player budget and wages factor into that as well as transfer fees.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14994 on: November 18, 2022, 12:18:53 pm »
Oxlade Chamberlain, Keita and Milner are all seemingly leaving in the summer. Thats allegedly £400k odd a week off the wage bill. 748 minutes between them, seven starts in total this season, no goals and one assist. I'd suggest they're probably ticking the box for losing players who are no longer key, to free up money, rather than bumping off someone who has played pretty much every game and is our second most productive player this season.

That makes it more palatable. However what I am nervous about is just the amount of players who are getting significant minutes who in most cases are diminishing in some way that are 30 and over 30. We have seen that the legs can drop off at any moment and if money is tight, then we almost have to take most opportunities to get them off the books.

In two years we will have Thiago, Matip, Henderson, Virgil, Fabinho, Firmino, Salah, still probably on big money and at 32 - 35. Not sure thats ideal at all.

Another thing is the amount of injuries Jota is getting. If he was ever present, maybe a backup like Firmino isnt an issue. But he is playing a lot and what if he keeps regressing? His numbers are good but his off the ball performance is not.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14995 on: November 18, 2022, 12:19:27 pm »
Ultimately we have an annual player budget and wages factor into that as well as transfer fees.

Yeah but they do overlap.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14996 on: November 18, 2022, 12:22:20 pm »
Even £10m a year cost is relatively good value when you look at the cost of alternatives. You'd have to potentially fid a new striker who's good enough, but would not expect to play every week. He'd then have to fit in and understand how we play. Take an average of Jota, Diaz and Nunez and you're looking at £45m conservatively, as well as at least a £5m per year contract, which is a £14m cost to our bottom line, and also comes with new transfer risk. If the new player was any good you'd be bumping him up a bit after the first couple of years too.

Having access to a top 20 all time goalscorer for us for £10m a year is a bargain. I hate to use a Manc example, but Sheringham was a good option for them either off the bench or for the odd start until around his mid 30's (15 in 29 in the league in the season he turned 35). He then did another 2 seasons with Spurs after that! - Bobby is now pretty much the age Sheringham was when he signed for them, and he went on to play 146 times in 4 seasons scoring 46 goals.

Oddly enough, Sheringhams goals per game for Utd is similar to Bobbys over his career with us. If we could get similar figures out of Bobby, we'd all be made up.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14997 on: November 18, 2022, 12:29:03 pm »
That makes it more palatable. However what I am nervous about is just the amount of players who are getting significant minutes who in most cases are diminishing in some way that are 30 and over 30. We have seen that the legs can drop off at any moment and if money is tight, then we almost have to take most opportunities to get them off the books.

In two years we will have Thiago, Matip, Henderson, Virgil, Fabinho, Firmino, Salah, still probably on big money and at 32 - 35. Not sure thats ideal at all.

Another thing is the amount of injuries Jota is getting. If he was ever present, maybe a backup like Firmino isnt an issue. But he is playing a lot and what if he keeps regressing? His numbers are good but his off the ball performance is not.

Seven players out of a squad of 22/23? :D

Its all a bit daft now. You're talking like we're struggling financially, that we can't afford to have certain players on big money, that there's this major drop off as soon as someone hits 30. If money is as tight as you seem to think, it surely makes more sense to extend players who are still contributing rather than having to pay more for a younger replacement?

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14998 on: November 18, 2022, 01:03:52 pm »
Seven players out of a squad of 22/23? :D

Its all a bit daft now. You're talking like we're struggling financially, that we can't afford to have certain players on big money, that there's this major drop off as soon as someone hits 30. If money is as tight as you seem to think, it surely makes more sense to extend players who are still contributing rather than having to pay more for a younger replacement?

Thats only at that age, will be more in the 30 bracket. Its more the fact that we have so many key players at that age and its not like we are lacking experience in the front line even without them having to be older.

In terms of the money, again we have spoken about how a lot of our money has been invested in wages when questions around where the money has gone on the back of our success. So if thats the case, we have to look at whether the money is being spent wisely and whether its sustainable in terms of the rebuild (which is required) to keep players on that don't have a long term future.

In terms of him as a player, his numbers attacking wise have been good but his pressing hasnt. Considering our defensive numbers are absolutely shocking, not being able to press well is a big deal.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14999 on: November 18, 2022, 01:20:00 pm »

How much per week would it cost us to bring in a player of Bobbys ability and who are we going to get that is prepared to play the role that Bobby has? Once Jota and Diaz are fit, Bobby is looking at more time on the bench than on the pitch.
Jurgen YNWA