Author Topic: General Running Thread  (Read 799155 times)

Offline weebroalan

• Liable to be bamboozled at traffic lights. Beware! Prefers creme eggs to whoppers. Mr irresponsible-in detention for getting on a train
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: General Running Thread
« Reply #17680 on: February 22, 2019, 02:36:46 pm »
Mark: well done on getting to 100 parkruns, very impressive - hope you have a great 100th run!

Ciara: Good luck with the parkrun pacing. I've never tried pacing but its something I've been thinking about for a while

Raul: hope the half goes well - looking at Strava you are clocking up some good mileage so it should be a good race.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17681 on: February 22, 2019, 03:28:33 pm »
Well done on the 100 parkruns Mark - hope you get the t-shirt nice and quick!

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17682 on: February 22, 2019, 09:25:47 pm »
Raul!: Sounds like good coaching advice although I'd hate the first 8km. Hopefully you'll be able to nail the last block.
How strange it is to be anything at all - NMH.

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17683 on: February 22, 2019, 10:42:21 pm »
Mark: Enjoy the centenary tomorrow

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #17684 on: February 25, 2019, 09:28:05 am »
Thanks for your wishes folks. Hope everyone had good weekends.

Ended up doing only 4k to warm up - the race was at 6am so there was no way I was going to wake up before 4am! Ran the first 9 easy, notching the pace up gradually to around 4:30/k. Then speeded up a kilometre earlier than planned (by mistake!) so ended up doing 12k at an average of about 4:17/18 per kilometre. Bit faster than what I think realistic marathon pace will be for me but felt comfortable and went with the flow. Was born out a bit by the fact that I didn't feel shattered at the end.

Back to regular training now where the attempt will be to do some quality workouts at about 100k per week for the next 5 weeks before the taper begins.

Offline weebroalan

• Liable to be bamboozled at traffic lights. Beware! Prefers creme eggs to whoppers. Mr irresponsible-in detention for getting on a train
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17685 on: February 25, 2019, 11:17:30 am »
Raul: nicely controlled race. You are looking really strong for Boston now. Hope the next 5 weeks go well.

22mi long run on the Test Way for me yesterday. Recce of part of my 50mi ultra in April.

Was pitch black and foggy to start and I ended up running round a field in circles at one point because I could only see about 1ft in front of me and the trail wasnt clear, and my GPS was taking me right through a lake!

Anyway it became a lot easier and faster once the sun came up.

Was a truly beautiful morning in a truly beautiful location :) kind of runs that make me feel thankful for so much in life.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #17686 on: February 27, 2019, 08:55:52 am »
Cheers, Saturday was great aside from some bloke sitting on my shoulder at the end.

He was breathing REALLY hard and it was annoying. So I dropped him with a little Sprint with about 0.3 of a mile to go. A young girl caught me up and I wasn't arsed, then low and behold who comes through (on her shoulder) but the same fella. No time to take him again and I honestly wanted to say something.

I didn't. I grabbed a cake and headed back to catch Katherine who was tailwalking with a lovely old lady and her daughter.

Her daughter rang her at 8:20 and told her to get ready. She's 69 and was so apologetic "I'm sorry I'm so slow" the two sides of parkrun.

Nice ten miles on Sunday and got out earlier today for some good work. Feel it's starting to drop into place. My diet is getting better, and I can feel it getting easier running in and around 8 minute miles.

I'm putting this down to me, not the PT. As I've seen him for two actual gym sessions and while it's teaching me things I didn't know. I'm not sure two one hour sessions would bring on such an improvement.

Some great running over the weekend. It's Chester Ultra this weekend. Mad that just over a year ago I was preparing for my first DNF.

Up the reds.

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17687 on: February 27, 2019, 01:28:04 pm »
Mark: Definitely down to you & not the PT, i would think it would take at least a couple of months of consistent work with the PT to reap the benefits.

40 minutes threshold for me today. Had been a bit worried about my hips which had been very tight lately but a couple of easier days have helped. 5:34 average for the effort which is pleasing off the back of two very big mileage weeks

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17688 on: February 27, 2019, 09:10:34 pm »
Well done old that is a tough session especially after those big miles

LT Run as well for me  with 6 in the middle at 6:40/mi. Really pleased with that after last nights red wine and late night.

Always a mentally challenging session but feels great when it’s done.

Just the 7mi@LT to go next week then Weymouth half marathon in a couple of weeks

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #17689 on: February 27, 2019, 11:40:31 pm »
Managed my first sub 50min 10k today, timed unofficially on my app 49.50

Well chuffed even if I was blowing out of my arse for the last 1/2 km.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17690 on: February 28, 2019, 09:29:22 am »
Great work harry - if that's on a training run then there'll be a few minutes to come off that in a race when the number is pinned on your chest!

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #17691 on: February 28, 2019, 05:22:39 pm »
Great work harry - if that's on a training run then there'll be a few minutes to come off that in a race when the number is pinned on your chest!

Cheers mate,

Yeah just a training run, I was planning on doing a 8 miler but a bloody webex meant getting home late so decided to run my 10k route and felt pretty good so just tried to keep up the pace.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17692 on: March 2, 2019, 10:26:53 am »
Was planning to do my first half marathon this summer as need some goal to inspire me to up the mileage and lose some of the pounds as well. Struggling as just a 3 to 4 mile runner (4 times a week) at best usually & at the moment Im doing 5 miles x 3 times a week with maybe a 3 mile thrown in plus a 50km cycle on Sundays. My left ankle is complaining more than usual which is why I feel a rest day btw runs is good for the body as the goal would be to up the mileage every week (next run will be 6 miles). I will see how it goes as I caddy during the summer for work and hoping the ankle gets stronger as 6 miles plus with two golf bags x 5 days a week plus the training might break or make me ;)
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #17693 on: March 3, 2019, 01:38:34 pm »
Cut my long run short this morning due to stomach issues. Annoying as hell.

Hopefully the match can cheer me up later

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17694 on: March 4, 2019, 09:49:55 am »
Mark: hope the stomach is ok. I'm assuming the match didn't help to cheer you up!!!

Got out for a 17mi run yesterday morning. Weather was atrocious. Felt I was running still in parts as the wind was gusting to 50mph down with us. It was one of those just get it done and out of the way runs where I listened to a podcast just to get me through it.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #17695 on: March 4, 2019, 01:01:00 pm »
Mark: hope the stomach is ok. I'm assuming the match didn't help to cheer you up!!!

Got out for a 17mi run yesterday morning. Weather was atrocious. Felt I was running still in parts as the wind was gusting to 50mph down with us. It was one of those just get it done and out of the way runs where I listened to a podcast just to get me through it.

Wasn't right all day yesterday. Barely ate anything.

Feel much better today ta.

What time did you go out? It got really nasty up here about five or six but was expecting worse.

It didn't cheer me up no. Can't abide those bluenose morons

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17696 on: March 4, 2019, 03:45:44 pm »
I went out about 7.30am on Sunday just as the storm was getting into full swing.

6mi lunch run today with a few hill sprints and 100m strides. Got my last LT run tomorrow with 7mi at LT pace which is always the toughie. Then its about a week and a half until Weymouth Half Marathon

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17697 on: March 5, 2019, 06:59:56 pm »
Final LT run went well today - about 6:35/mi so feeling in good shape for Weymouth Half in 12 days time now.

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17698 on: March 6, 2019, 08:18:00 am »
Alan: nice run, definitely looking good for Weymouth, any target in mind?

Yesterday was supposed to be an easy day for me but the legs felt good & the weather was looking better than today's forecast so i brought the BAC session i had planned forward a day. 24/18/12/6/3 minutes starting at MP & getting quicker each rep. Tough but a good one mentally as each rep is shorter. Feel like I'm on good form & looking forward to Fleet now

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17699 on: March 6, 2019, 09:55:03 am »
Old: sub 1:30 is the target. PB is 1:30:27 - Weymouth has a few bumps in it so not sure I could sustain 6:35 all the way round. Plus it'll all depend on the weather with it being a sea front location the wind can have a significant impact on times. Getting my excuses in early! Realistically though I should be aiming for about 1:27/1:28 I think. Is Fleet Half on the 17th as well?

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17700 on: March 6, 2019, 10:50:24 am »
Alan: You look well set for sub 1:30, i find i can usually go a bit quicker in a half than i manage in an LT run, as you say though it depends on the course & conditions. Yes Fleet is also the 17th

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #17701 on: March 6, 2019, 02:27:15 pm »
Pushed it a bit this morning and got under 30 mins for a 5 km treadmill run something I've not managed since my knee op.

Mind seeing as my 10 km PB is 39:53 that seems rather slow, was quite a few years ago though. :P

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17702 on: March 6, 2019, 07:00:48 pm »
Pheeny: glad to see you are holding up well. How is the knee feeling?

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #17703 on: March 6, 2019, 10:47:38 pm »
Pheeny: glad to see you are holding up well. How is the knee feeling?

Knee hasn't felt so good in years.

I injured it quite badly when playing Rugby for the RAF back in 1981 and whilst under the knife the surgeon also "cleaned" it up a bit whilst doing the ACL and meniscus op.

Doesn't even "creak" when I bend it these days ;)

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17704 on: March 9, 2019, 02:41:02 pm »
weebroalan: I haven't been paying much attention lately; you're looking in really good shape; the best we've seen you. I'm sure you'll nail your HM and as Old No7 says you could well go quicker than you think as long as the weather doesn't mess things up....good luck.
How strange it is to be anything at all - NMH.

Offline Jack The Lad

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #17705 on: March 9, 2019, 09:10:31 pm »
So, as part of my London marathon training, went out this morning to do an 18 mile run. Decided very early on that I was going for 20. Ran around Sefton Park for 20 miles. Completed in 3 hours 27 minutes. Very happy with that as the last time I done 20 miles as part of my 2016 Liverpool marathon training I done it in 3:44, so quite happy to knock off 17 minutes. Struggled a bit after 15 miles but ploughed on and got it done.

Offline kevlumley

• Legacy Fan
  • Forza Liverpool
« Reply #17706 on: March 10, 2019, 10:03:36 pm »
@ Jack the lad - well done. Didn't hit any problems in that distance then, must mean you are doing everything right. Sunday 28/04/19 beckons, so plenty of time left before the taper, you are in great form.

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17707 on: March 11, 2019, 09:53:21 am »
Mr B: thanks - training has definitely gone well. No injuries and the big sessions have all come off. It is looking a bit windy for the weekend but as long as its not gale force like this weekend I should still be ok.

Jack: good job on the 18 miler. That's a big chunk of time to knock off that distance and bodes well for London

Did a 24mi long run yesterday morning along the trail to Winchester and back again. Wasn't the most pleasant run with storm force winds blowing me back on the way home. Glad to get it done in the end. Day off today and I'm just going to take it easy with shorter stuff this week to taper a bit for Weyouth as I've had 4x 65mi+ weeks recently, maxing out at 68mi last week.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 09:59:43 am by weebroalan »

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #17708 on: March 11, 2019, 02:08:17 pm »
20 miles round the park?

People used to think I was mad doing 8.

Well done - you planning on anymore 20's before the big day?

Offline Raul!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17709 on: March 12, 2019, 10:16:45 am »
Jack: What does the circuit of the park measure??!!??!!

Alan, great consistency, been seeing that on Strava. All the best for Weymouth, you'll crack it.

I've followed a slightly different type of schedule this time. No run much more than 20 miles but doing more quicker and MP type stuff, off the back of 100k weeks. So higher overall mileage and running faster on fatigued legs. Not quite the Hansen method but taking some lessons from them.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #17710 on: March 12, 2019, 12:31:42 pm »
Jack: What does the circuit of the park measure??!!??!!

Just running round, taking no detour in will clock about 2.3 miles if memory serves

Offline Jack The Lad

• Anny Roader
« Reply #17711 on: March 12, 2019, 12:42:05 pm »
Just running round, taking no detour in will clock about 2.3 miles if memory serves

Thinks it’s 2.2 miles. Was a nice little run to be fair. Few people out and about and a few other runners so wasn’t too bad.

Offline Jack The Lad

• Anny Roader
« Reply #17712 on: March 12, 2019, 12:43:28 pm »
20 miles round the park?

People used to think I was mad doing 8.

Well done - you planning on anymore 20's before the big day?

Haha. Cheers mate. Looking at doing another 20 again this Sunday. Run with the happy bus group as normal and then take a detour at Sefton Park to do a few more laps to round up to 20 miles again.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #17713 on: March 12, 2019, 04:02:49 pm »
West Yorkshire XC Champion Year 4 - proud of the lad.   He's got his time down to 7:52 on the local 2K park run.  Not bad for an 8 year old.  He was in tears at the end because my dad wasn't there - too poorly at the moment to get out and watch.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #17714 on: March 12, 2019, 07:08:07 pm »
Wow Z, very inspiring.

Got an amazon voucher for my birthday, reckon I'll get some runners with it cos mine have a hole in them and I need to start running again as I've gotten fat and slow again. Any recommendations at the 40-60 quid mark from our tax dodging overlords?
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17715 on: March 13, 2019, 09:05:47 am »
Wow Z congrats to the lad - that's an impressive performance. He (and you) must be made up!

Jake: SportsShoes.com is good  - https://www.sportsshoes.com/products/z/mens/running/shoes/?$terrain=road&l=20&slider=20,60

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #17716 on: March 14, 2019, 09:06:54 pm »
Wow Z congrats to the lad - that's an impressive performance. He (and you) must be made up!

Jake: SportsShoes.com is good  - https://www.sportsshoes.com/products/z/mens/running/shoes/?$terrain=road&l=20&slider=20,60

I'll take a look pal, was just looking to use me amazon voucher, but I can maybe find some other tat to spend that on :lmao
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Raul!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17717 on: March 15, 2019, 06:30:42 am »
West Yorkshire XC Champion Year 4 - proud of the lad.   He's got his time down to 7:52 on the local 2K park run.  Not bad for an 8 year old.  He was in tears at the end because my dad wasn't there - too poorly at the moment to get out and watch.
That's just fantastic mate, well done to the lad and to you!

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17718 on: March 15, 2019, 08:23:06 pm »
Z: That's awesome, congratulations to the young man!

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17719 on: March 17, 2019, 10:48:47 am »
Great result at Weymouth 1:27:52 official time. So in spite of the gale force winds I ran almost a 3 minute PB.

Delighted :)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 12:06:50 pm by weebroalan »