Author Topic: Five English clubs named in ‘European Super League’ plan for 2021  (Read 38652 times)

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
Re: Five English clubs named in ‘European Super League’ plan for 2021
« Reply #80 on: November 3, 2018, 10:53:50 am »
Can understand the motivations behind it all from the clubs' perspectives. Same as it ever was. It's still bollocks. As it always has been. The desire to bloat the football calendar is unsustainable on players. The desire to syphon all the money up to the top is pulling football into a branding contest. Sod it all off and bring back a salary cap...
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #81 on: November 3, 2018, 10:54:41 am »
More than the clubs in the SPL. And why do you think that is?

Because the SPL is fucking shite.

Top and bottom of it is, the amount they get is pittance compared to the premier league. And should the this Superleague come about, it would be the premier league clubs who would get pittance compared to the super league clubs. And if you think otherwise, you really living in the land of the fairies. All the TV company's and the big sponsors would plough all their money into the Super league. And the premier league would be offered far inferior deals. It would be left behind.

« Last Edit: November 3, 2018, 10:57:24 am by Solomon Grundy »

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: November 3, 2018, 11:02:01 am »
Once the big teams leave the league do you really think the likes of Sky, the corportate sponsers are going to be interested in leagues minus the big names? You are living in crowd cuckoo land I'm afraid, it would be the death knell of the game, there is just nothing that would sell this concept to me. Just for a second, step out of the Liverpool bubble and look at the bigger picture, it would be a calmaity and the game would never be the same again.

Money has killed football.

I'm not for one minute backing this plan, but I can fully understand why us and the other clubs would want it. Sky are paying billions for basically us and Man Utd to be on the telly. The way the TV agreement works, teams no-one ever wants to watch are guaranteed £100 million at least. The businessmen who are now involved in football will wonder why that is happening. You get the likes of Burnley, who spend next to fuck all on the team and are quite happy to feed from the cash cow and make as much money as they can before they disappear back where they came from. Then we have to put up with 11 men behind the ball shithouse footy from most of the teams we play.

If you are the draw, you will want the lions share of what you bring in.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #83 on: November 3, 2018, 11:08:10 am »
Money has killed football.

I'm not for one minute backing this plan, but I can fully understand why us and the other clubs would want it. Sky are paying billions for basically us and Man Utd to be on the telly. The way the TV agreement works, teams no-one ever wants to watch are guaranteed £100 million at least. The businessmen who are now involved in football will wonder why that is happening. You get the likes of Burnley, who spend next to fuck all on the team and are quite happy to feed from the cash cow and make as much money as they can before they disappear back where they came from. Then we have to put up with 11 men behind the ball shithouse footy from most of the teams we play.

If you are the draw, you will want the lions share of what you bring in.

If that's what you want to think you can, but I think it's shite and will be the ruination of the game. I love this idea that the smaller clubs should just play open football whether they have the players or not to actually play in that style in the first place. The talk of a super league is about utter greed of the bigger clubs and nothing else no matter how you want to dress it up.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #84 on: November 3, 2018, 11:10:34 am »
Because the SPL is fucking shite.

Top and bottom of it is, the amount they get is pittance compared to the premier league. And should the this Superleague come about, it would be the premier league clubs who would get pittance compared to the super league clubs. And if you think otherwise, you really living in the land of the fairies. All the TV company's and the big sponsors would plough all their money into the Super league. And the premier league would be offered far inferior deals. It would be left behind.

The reason the championship gets more than the SPL is because they’re in a bigger market where everyone gets richer including those below the premier league.

It’s not about getting a larger share of anything, it’s that the whole market grows. Of course the top league will get more but sponsors and tv deals exist in lower leagues and always will. This will just increase the amount of money open to being invested in those leagues.

People from all over Europe will want to watch to see who is getting promoted to the super league. Then you’ll have the money going into the playoffs to see which European sides get promoted.

All of this means there will be more money at the top, but more in the middle and more at the bottom. For the same reason trade is the best thing for a country, this would make everyone better off.
« Last Edit: November 3, 2018, 11:20:15 am by mikey_LFC »
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #85 on: November 3, 2018, 11:14:56 am »

The reason the championship gets more than the SPL is because they’re in a bigger market where everyone gets richer including those below the premier league.

It’s not about getting a larger share of anything, it’s that the whole market grows. Of course the top league will get more but sponsors and tv deals exist in lower leagues and always will. This will just increase the amount of money open to being invested in those leagues.

I'm not sure if you're on a wind up here Mikey :D

Why on earth would the whole market grow when you're taking the five biggest attractions out of the market?! It'd be like Alton Towers selling their five most popular rides to an American theme park, replacing them with some helter skelters and a carousel, and then expecting attendance to increase.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: November 3, 2018, 11:15:37 am »

You see, I just don't think it will. They'll be completely cut adrift.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: November 3, 2018, 11:16:29 am »

Why on earth would the whole market grow when you're taking the five biggest attractions out of the market?! It'd be like Alton Towers selling their five most popular rides to an American theme park, replacing them with some helter skelters and a carousel, and then expecting attendance to increase.

Exactly.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #88 on: November 3, 2018, 11:25:11 am »

People from all over Europe will want to watch to see who is getting promoted to the super league. Then you’ll have the money going into the playoffs to see which European sides get promoted.

All of this means there will be more money at the top, but more in the middle and more at the bottom. For the same reason trade is the best thing for a country, this would make everyone better off.

You don't honestly believe that do you ?

Television companies do not have an infinite pot of money.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: November 3, 2018, 11:26:16 am »
Yep. It would mean pulling out of the premier league and joining this. Fucking shit idea. Hope it never, ever happens.

Out of the premier league and champion league, if I've got it correctly.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: November 3, 2018, 11:27:21 am »
I’ve addressed most of this in other posts so I’ll concentrate on your main point of other clubs.

I know, I included them in my response :) The 'boring' thing is entirely subjective but I can't see how it wouldn't be more expensive given the travel and hotel issues (don't think airlines and hotels won't bump up their prices either)

Financially I don’t see why it would be worse for them than currently. It is the same deal the have now but with a chance of a larger pie. Promotion gets you more rewards again. Second tier leagues will get more coverage to see who gets promoted.

You could argue that the reason smaller clubs don’t survive as often now is because there are too many people competing in a market that can’t sustain them. So seeing the market grow, with more money coming into football is what they need.

Currently people watch more than one leagues worth so why would that change. Especially if there were to be less games. Rather than being the final nail, this could actually be the saving grace for smaller teams, from a financial stand point plus it’d make it more interesting.

People will tune in to see who the English champion is going to be. That’ll be for your burnleys, Everton’s and Tottenhams.

Having one European league system is giving everyone a chance to grow, not just the bigger teams. There will always be disparities. It’s the norm. This isn’t about that, it’s about growth. Which the smaller clubs need more than the bigger ones.

The Premier League has already caused a bigger discrepancy in the financial stakes between football clubs, if you do require any evidence about the potential issues. The rich get richer and so does everyone else didn't happen then and it's not going to happen with a Euro Super League because more people will pay to watch that than Burnley vs Brighton. Of course other people will get less. There's not an infinite amount money to go around.

Once the big teams leave the league do you really think the likes of Sky, the corportate sponsers are going to be interested in leagues minus the big names? You are living in crowd cuckoo land I'm afraid, it would be the death knell of the game, there is just nothing that would sell this concept to me. Just for a second, step out of the Liverpool bubble and look at the bigger picture, it would be a calmaity and the game would never be the same again.

You must know..... I mean....you must know? You take the five biggest clubs in terms of TV viewership, you must know that the TV deals wouldn't then remain the same or even increase? Sky and BT and Amazon and whoever else wouldn't be thinking 'Oooh ok no Liverpool/United/City/Chelsea/Arsenal, no more big derbies, this is a great chance for other clubs like Burnley, Huddersfield and Everton to become big players' they'll be thinking 'Right lets get our money out of that and into the big Euro Super League Megathingy'

Also what they said.
« Last Edit: November 3, 2018, 11:29:57 am by Foregone Concussion »
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: November 3, 2018, 11:28:43 am »

Thanks, you've proved my point. Now get that theme park out of my sight.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #92 on: November 3, 2018, 11:30:50 am »
“Could not be relegated”. Says it all.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: November 3, 2018, 11:31:23 am »
Thanks, you've proved my point. Now get that theme park out of my sight.

Its rubbish. Next
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: November 3, 2018, 11:32:24 am »

People from all over Europe will want to watch to see who is getting promoted to the super league.Then you’ll have the money going into the playoffs to see which European sides get promoted.

I was lead to believe there wasn't going to be any relegation from the super league for the first 20 years. So how can anyone get promoted?

And even if there was the chance of promotion, I don't think the powers that be would be happy if say Huddersfield, Leicester or Bournemouth won the premier league and got promoted. Because those clubs won't push the TV viewing figures up, which is exactly what these TV companies and big sponsors will be expecting.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: November 3, 2018, 11:34:02 am »
It’s inevitable in the long run. If you’re completely honest, football as a sport ceased to exist a long time ago. Casual fans don’t see the beauty in a scrappy win against Cardiff away. They want to see the big stars every match and they are paying for entertainment.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: November 3, 2018, 11:34:13 am »
Seems like we cant go a few days without some bullshit ideas coming from the people in charge.
God knows where its going. Last week we had the world club cup or whatever it was called. Now this.

Also isnt it round about this time that the football calendars are down the tubes anyway? Due to the Qatar world cup. Sadly I can see the day when something of this ilk appears and "customers" the world over will fall for it and pay for it.

It has made me laugh though to see Man City in the list. Cheating bastards.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: November 3, 2018, 11:34:25 am »

I was lead to believe there wasn't going to be any relegation from the super league for the first 20 years. So how can anyone get promoted?

And even if there was the chance of promotion, I don't think the powers that be would be happy if say Huddersfield, Leicester or Bournemouth won the premier league and got promoted. Because those clubs won't push the TV viewing figures up, which is exactly what these TV companies and big sponsors will be expecting.

My understanding is that it'll grow exponentially until there's a league of about 1244 sides, and the Premier League consists of Everton and Yeovil playing each other every week.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: November 3, 2018, 11:36:43 am »
Out of the premier league and champion league, if I've got it correctly.

In other reports, it says they could end up pulling out of both the CL and the premier league to form a European Superleague.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: November 3, 2018, 11:38:00 am »
My understanding is that it'll grow exponentially until there's a league of about 1244 sides, and the Premier League consists of Everton and Yeovil playing each other every week.

;D

With Yeovil winning the league for the 1000th time in a row. :D

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: November 3, 2018, 11:38:09 am »

For the same reason the championship gets more than the SPL. It is the links to the higher leagues and better teams that creates a wider market.

Currently you have several separate markets, one of each structure in each country for example. They only overlap when Europeans games are on. That means very few Spanish, Dutch or Italians are watching the championship or Premier league games.

If the league systems are intertwined you get more attraction for watching these games as they now have an effect on each other.

The market for the European Super league is basically the market for the later stages of the champions league but all year round. However there is still the market for the premier league left over. The attraction of watching Burnley v Everton goes up as now it’s a battle to get into the European playoffs. These games are positively impacted by the new league. The same goes for games all across Europe.

Teams who never had a chance of winning the league now do. You could potentially see other European leagues formed below or just a playoff system, either way this attracts more interest from outside a county to domestic leagues.

For the most part, the only people who watch lower league games are fans of the teams, some fans in the division and avid football followers who watch whatever football is on tv. This won’t change for those teams. The only change is you’ll attract more people from outside the domestic market.

The same will go for sponsors. Tying down a team to a sponsorship deal who may end up winning their domestic league is bigger, especially if that then goes on to lead to European games.

The key is ensuring there are still links to the domestic leagues.

There is no reason why if you watch a championship game now, you won’t watch one after.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: November 3, 2018, 11:40:51 am »

I’m not really talking about the current deal or structure. I’ve maintained throughout that you need to have relegation and maintain links to other leagues to make it work.

I’m saying the concept of a European Super league doesn’t mean the death of lower league football, if done properly it could reenergise it.

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: November 3, 2018, 11:41:35 am »
Seems like we cant go a few days without some bullshit ideas coming from the people in charge.
God knows where its going. Last week we had the world club cup or whatever it was called. Now this.

Also isnt it round about this time that the football calendars are down the tubes anyway? Due to the Qatar world cup. Sadly I can see the day when something of this ilk appears and "customers" the world over will fall for it and pay for it.

It has made me laugh though to see Man City in the list. Cheating bastards.

Laughable isn't it. Surely Spurs, the blue shite or even Aston Villa and Forest have more claim to be joining Europes elite than Man City.

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: November 3, 2018, 11:45:02 am »
I’m saying the concept of a European Super league doesn’t mean the death of lower league football, if done properly it could reenergise it.

This is the thing, I don't think it will. It'll be neglected. Just as the Europa league is seen as a 2nd/3rd rate competition now, it will be the same for the premier league or any other league for that matter, should this Superleague come about.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: November 3, 2018, 11:47:42 am »
For the same reason the championship gets more than the SPL. It is the links to the higher leagues and better teams that creates a wider market.

Currently you have several separate markets, one of each structure in each country for example. They only overlap when Europeans games are on. That means very few Spanish, Dutch or Italians are watching the championship or Premier league games.

If the league systems are intertwined you get more attraction for watching these games as they now have an effect on each other.

The market for the European Super league is basically the market for the later stages of the champions league but all year round. However there is still the market for the premier league left over. The attraction of watching Burnley v Everton goes up as now it’s a battle to get into the European playoffs. These games are positively impacted by the new league. The same goes for games all across Europe.

Teams who never had a chance of winning the league now do. You could potentially see other European leagues formed below or just a playoff system, either way this attracts more interest from outside a county to domestic leagues.

For the most part, the only people who watch lower league games are fans of the teams, some fans in the division and avid football followers who watch whatever football is on tv. This won’t change for those teams. The only change is you’ll attract more people from outside the domestic market.

The same will go for sponsors. Tying down a team to a sponsorship deal who may end up winning their domestic league is bigger, especially if that then goes on to lead to European games.

The key is ensuring there are still links to the domestic leagues.

There is no reason why if you watch a championship game now, you won’t watch one after.

I'm not sure you really know how all this works Mikey, sorry mate.

The attraction of watching Everton Vs Burnley doesn't suddenly go up, it stays the same (which is not at all). The people who would normally watch Liverpool Vs Man City don't suddenly go 'well its still football, I'll watch it', they'll go 'instead of watching football I might have a wank as it'll be infinitely more enjoyable than watching Everton Vs Burnley'.

People are attracted by, generally, those big five clubs. If you look at which games garner the most viewers, its the ones with those sides in (and Spurs). If you take those clubs away, those viewers go away too. Which is why when they have Sundays with games like Southampton Vs Huddersfield and people go 'why the fuck are they showing this?!' those games inevitably end up being the lowest viewership figures.

If you advertise a chat show with Russell Brand, Ricky Gervais, Samuel L Jackson and Donald Trump and then the night before they say 'sorry they've all dropped out, but we've got Eamon Holmes, Jedward and the fat one from the Chase' they wouldn't get the same amount of viewers they would have because people go yeah its still a chat show aint it

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #105 on: November 3, 2018, 11:48:11 am »
I think people are getting confused here. From what I've read this can only be to replace the Champions League, not the domestic leagues, for the clubs involved. It's the same format as the CL without the need to waste game time playing the 'shit clubs'. And why would any of these 11 clubs want to base their existence around playing in two almost-identical competitions where a bad year could see you playing just 12 games? Even if it were possible to qualify for the UEFA Champions League without playing in a UEFA domestic league. It's unrealistic, unachievable, unworkable nonsense. Not that that alone is enough to stop anything these days.

This is just a power grab by the big clubs v UEFA as always happens every few years. The only potential breakaway I think would be good is if all the big, financially-sound, well-supported clubs like us, United, Bayern, Dortmund, Arsenal, Spurs, Atleti, Roma, Ajax and Celtic et al threatened a break from the cheating shite like PSG, City, Chelsea, Real so UEFA either reel them in or be stuck with a competition full of fraudsters and dross. Football might actually improve then.
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: November 3, 2018, 11:50:15 am »
The PL is so powerful, our clubs shouldnt even be talking about it. It benefits Bayern and PSG more than us...by a mile.

Plus, i quite enjoy the seperation of PL and CL.

Now, if it was just a seperate competition and the PL would still exist...i think i could be persuaded.

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: November 3, 2018, 11:50:41 am »
I think people are getting confused here. From what I've read this can only be to replace the Champions League, not the domestic leagues, for the clubs involved. It's the same format as the CL without the need to waste game time playing the 'shit clubs'. And why would any of these 11 clubs want to base their existence around playing in two almost-identical competitions where a bad year could see you playing just 12 games? Even if it were possible to qualify for the UEFA Champions League without playing in a UEFA domestic league. It's unrealistic, unachievable, unworkable nonsense. Not that that alone is enough to stop anything these days.

This is just a power grab by the big clubs v UEFA as always happens every few years. The only potential breakaway I think would be good is if all the big, financially-sound, well-supported clubs like us, United, Bayern, Dortmund, Arsenal, Spurs, Atleti, Roma, Ajax and Celtic et al threatened a break from the cheating shite like PSG, City, Chelsea, Real so UEFA either reel them in or be stuck with a competition full of fraudsters and dross. Football might actually improve then.

There are other reports saying they could leave both the CL AND the premier league mate.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: November 3, 2018, 11:51:07 am »
If that's what you want to think you can, but I think it's shite and will be the ruination of the game. I love this idea that the smaller clubs should just play open football whether they have the players or not to actually play in that style in the first place. The talk of a super league is about utter greed of the bigger clubs and nothing else no matter how you want to dress it up.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely hate the idea and agree it will ruin the game.

I'm not looking at it from a fans point of view, I'm thinking of what those who pay the money see before them. I fully understand that teams wont come at the likes of us, but being brutally honest, do you think the TV people, or the owners think they deserve the money they get for playing like that? The more money that is lashed at the game, the more the ones who pay the money are going to want a product worth selling. It's fucking shite for the fans of all clubs who go the game, its shite for the likes of me who cannot afford to take my sons the match but the ones who pay don't care, they have this global audience and they have the opportunity to make billions and they will do it for themselves and fuck the rest of us.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #109 on: November 3, 2018, 11:51:44 am »
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiite idea.

I like playing big teams but it is supposed to be special when you do, and earned through league and then CL qualification.

Be boring as fuck if it was all just the super rich teams.
Exactly. When you play one of the elite teams in Europe it’s an occasion. It usually also means you’ve gone quite far in the competition. The two things combine to make it a special night.

With this new idea, it’ll soon be ‘oh, Barca again’. And that would be a real shame.

The next time we play, say Bayern Munich, it should be a random draw, a special night. Not every season.

Shite idea that gets shitier the more you think about it.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #110 on: November 3, 2018, 11:53:13 am »
I see why the PL clubs want to be involved in the discussion, as a business it would be irresponsible of them to not be involved in the talks in case something happens and they miss out on having a say in it.

However I really do not see the benefit to PL clubs over a single competition (even if it is a super league) compared to being in the PL and CL.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: November 3, 2018, 11:54:36 am »
I see why the PL clubs want to be involved in the discussion, as a business it would be irresponsible of them to not be involved in the talks in case something happens and they miss out on having a say in it.

However I really do not see the benefit to PL clubs over a single competition (even if it is a super league) compared to being in the PL and CL.

£3 billion split between 5 not 19

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: November 3, 2018, 11:57:00 am »
Exactly. When you play one of the elite teams in Europe it’s an occasion. It usually also means you’ve gone quite far in the competition. The two things combine to make it a special night.

With this new idea, it’ll soon be ‘oh, Barca again’. And that would be a real shame.

The next time we play, say Bayern Munich, it should be a random draw, a special night. Not every season.

Problem with that, is that the biggest teams are playing each other all the time anyway.

Juve, Bayern, Real and Barca seemingly have some combo of match up (UCL) every season. So that is already a reality.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: November 3, 2018, 11:59:01 am »
I'm not sure you really know how all this works Mikey, sorry mate.

The attraction of watching Everton Vs Burnley doesn't suddenly go up, it stays the same (which is not at all). The people who would normally watch Liverpool Vs Man City don't suddenly go 'well its still football, I'll watch it', they'll go 'instead of watching football I might have a wank as it'll be infinitely more enjoyable than watching Everton Vs Burnley'.

People are attracted by, generally, those big five clubs. If you look at which games garner the most viewers, its the ones with those sides in (and Spurs). If you take those clubs away, those viewers go away too. Which is why when they have Sundays with games like Southampton Vs Huddersfield and people go 'why the fuck are they showing this?!' those games inevitably end up being the lowest viewership figures.

If you advertise a chat show with Russell Brand, Ricky Gervais, Samuel L Jackson and Donald Trump and then the night before they say 'sorry they've all dropped out, but we've got Eamon Holmes, Jedward and the fat one from the Chase' they wouldn't get the same amount of viewers they would have because people go yeah its still a chat show aint it

If showing lower league games wasn’t profitable or of interest to anyone they wouldn’t show 183 lower league English games per year. Sky don’t have any requirement to buy and show these games. But they do.

If a game between mid table sides is on Monday night football, the next day when I’m in work, everyone has watched it.

The only thing that kills clubs is mismanagement. There is more than enough money for teams across the league structure, and obviously there is more at the top, but that is natural.

If anything attracts more money into football, it will not be negative for any club finances, whether they’re in the European Super League or not.

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: November 3, 2018, 11:59:49 am »

Yeah, the reason why those Europeans nights have been special is that they don't come along that often. That what makes them special. If you were playing the same big clubs home and away every season for the next 20 years, that would get pretty dull in my opinion.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #115 on: November 3, 2018, 12:02:54 pm »
£3 billion split between 5 not 19

Where is £3bn coming from?

The PL gets £3bn TV income because there are so many games per season, they wouldn't get that much for a super league. IMO.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: November 3, 2018, 12:14:45 pm »
Where is £3bn coming from?

The PL gets £3bn TV income because there are so many games per season, they wouldn't get that much for a super league. IMO.

My thinking is that if they want to be showing games involving the 5 and we are playing the likes of Barca, Real etc, they are going to have to stump up the cash. BT are paying almost £400 million per season to show CL and Europa games, so you've got to think that a Super League will demand big money. Obviously, Sky won't continue to pay the big bucks for the Premier League as well, that deal will just fall apart.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #117 on: November 3, 2018, 12:17:42 pm »
My thinking is that if they want to be showing games involving the 5 and we are playing the likes of Barca, Real etc, they are going to have to stump up the cash. BT are paying almost £400 million per season to show CL and Europa games, so you've got to think that a Super League will demand big money. Obviously, Sky won't continue to pay the big bucks for the Premier League as well, that deal will just fall apart.

You've just said it yourself though - BT only pay £400m to show ALL the CL games. That doesn't really suggest a European Super League would bring in as much as that PLUS the PL TV income.

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #118 on: November 3, 2018, 12:18:43 pm »

There are other reports saying they could leave both the CL AND the premier league mate.

OK, but I thought these mooted plans were for a group stage and knockout phase? Not a proper league. So you have no idea of how many games you've got to play in any given season? Even if it was mainly a league format, playing two away games in a week is a bit different when it's Burnley and Huddersfield rather than Bayern and Juventus. The travelling would be ridiculous for the players, the clubs won't put up with that. Not only would we see the same teams every year, they'd roughly be in the same order because that's the only way it could work. That's beyond shit.

What I expect out of all this is UEFA to cede to the big leagues in terms of money and places and we'll possibly see games being played outside the continent given the PL and La Liga overtures domestically.

The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: November 3, 2018, 12:19:56 pm »
I know, I included them in my response :) The 'boring' thing is entirely subjective but I can't see how it wouldn't be more expensive given the travel and hotel issues (don't think airlines and hotels won't bump up their prices either)

The Premier League has already caused a bigger discrepancy in the financial stakes between football clubs, if you do require any evidence about the potential issues. The rich get richer and so does everyone else didn't happen then and it's not going to happen with a Euro Super League because more people will pay to watch that than Burnley vs Brighton. Of course other people will get less. There's not an infinite amount money to go around.

Also what they said.

It might have caused a bigger discrepancy but that isn’t the same as not everyone getting richer. The amount of money invested in football is particularly small in comparison to other industries. There is plenty more money to be invested if people want. Especially if the likes of amazon, Facebook and google get involved. Championship sides are richer now than 30 years ago, they’re just not as rich as premier league sides. If you want an equal sports system, then copy the NFL, but I’d rather not.

Not suggesting individual away games won’t be more expensive but I’d suggested a new system could mean less games and no champions league on top so someone who went to every away game may have to go to 12 or so more away European games, although 4 of them are in England but they’d save the other away games, which is around 25 a season in the current format.