Author Topic: Match Preview - Crystal Palace vs Liverpool - August 20th 2018 20:00pm  (Read 55933 times)

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Match Preview - Crystal Palace vs Liverpool - August 20th 2018 20:00pm
« Reply #240 on: August 19, 2018, 06:30:20 pm »
Why are people even worrying about City? Just concentrate on ourselves not even thinking about challenges at this stage.

Is correct.

Just concentrate on us winning tomorrow. That's the most important thing to concern yourself over.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: August 19, 2018, 06:35:24 pm »
With the results this w/e, it’s a deffo must win game tomorrow for us.

It's a long season. It's nice to get out of the blocks quickly, but to call this a "must win" game is quite overdoing it.

Are people actually worried that City will win all their games this year? If they do, then they deserve to win the PL. It's that simple. But I think the reality is that somewhere down the line, they will have hiccups. And they still have to play us.

I'm not even bothered looking at the table at the moment. I'm just enjoying the football, and the fact that we aren't associated with that turgid crap that I just witnessed just now.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: August 19, 2018, 06:43:35 pm »

Its not a must win game.

Offline Ipcress

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #243 on: August 19, 2018, 06:52:30 pm »

Only if you think Palace are our main contenders for the title.
The sort of people that seek power, are exactly the sort that should be kept away from it.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #244 on: August 19, 2018, 06:58:55 pm »
They're all must-win games if we want to challenge for the title. More so the games against the bottom 10 teams in the league. City will be putting them all to the sword, and we have to match them every step of the way to stand a chance. If we don't, they'll open up a gap that we'll probably never make up.

We want our challenge to rest on the two games against City, not on the 20 games against the fodder.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: August 19, 2018, 06:59:57 pm »
They're all must-win games if we want to challenge for the title. More so the games against the bottom 10 teams in the league. City will be putting them all to the sword, and we have to match them every step of the way to stand a chance. If we don't, they'll open up a gap that we'll probably never make up.

We want our challenge to rest on the two games against City, not on the 20 games against the fodder.

This.

Take any win tomorrow. Just win

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: August 19, 2018, 07:08:38 pm »
Only if you think Palace are our main contenders for the title.

What PoP said.

Online TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #247 on: August 19, 2018, 07:13:34 pm »

Spot on. We need to get out of this mentality where it's seen as acceptable to drop points in games against bottom half teams.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: August 19, 2018, 07:16:55 pm »
Hate Monday night games, especially against Palace. They seem a good side to me, well set up and make the best of what they have. But I really believe we can beat anyone this season, doesn't matter how they set up or who they are because we've got that extra depth and quality.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #249 on: August 19, 2018, 07:19:53 pm »
No one is saying anything about dropping points, but I'm not wasting time thinking about City every minute of the day. We just need to focus and think of our own games and not worry about what City are doing. The only time I'm even thinking about them is when we play them. Any else is irrelevant.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #250 on: August 19, 2018, 07:21:48 pm »
'must win' getting thrown around unironically already, must be a record.

Online TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: August 19, 2018, 07:28:21 pm »
'must win' getting thrown around unironically already, must be a record.

Do you want to win the league or not? Every game should be treated as must win.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: August 19, 2018, 07:32:12 pm »

Just pointing out Man City failed to win at Palace last season and won the league :P
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: August 19, 2018, 07:33:03 pm »

Just because every game should be treated as a must win game, doesn't guarantee that it will though. City dropped points at Burnley, Palace and Everton all places that they should have won last season. But in this league as proved this afternoon, results like that can happen to anyone.  So, why don't we stop fretting and just enjoy the season ahead.

Online wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: August 19, 2018, 07:35:51 pm »
Show the anger that Klopp keeps referencing, add our base level of performance to that and we'll win. Tough ground, tough kick off time and tough opponent. Not as tough as their opponent though.

Think it's very important for us to keep pace with City in the opening 10 games. Do that and we may well get in their heads.

Lads need to take it one at a time though. Give each game the maximum attention, be hungry and angry and get the 3 points.

Got a sneaking suspicion we might just smash these tomorrow.

Online meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #255 on: August 19, 2018, 07:36:37 pm »
6 pointer

Online chromed

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #256 on: August 19, 2018, 07:39:02 pm »
Hate waiting until Monday to watch the reds play. Can’t wait for it tomorrow though, I’m itching to see us play every week!

Think we’ll win, don’t care about city, only LFC, we’ll do our own thing and worry about them if/when we have to.
YNWA - JFT97

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: August 19, 2018, 07:41:30 pm »
Just because every game should be treated as a must win game, doesn't guarantee that it will though. City dropped points at Burnley, Palace and Everton all places that they should have won last season. But in this league as proved this afternoon, results like that can happen to anyone.  So, why don't we stop fretting and just enjoy the season ahead.

You don’t win that number of games unless you go and fight for everyone one. A lot of that fight involves thinking every second of every game is must win. Not every game is must win. Every situation within it as well. You probably won’t win every game, but the teams that win the league generally go in thinking they need to. And when they don’t win, they criticise, beat themselves up and make sure they win the next time out because losing is pretty shite all around.

Tomorrow’s a must win game just like Man City at home will be.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Chrismonster

• Anny Roader
  • Thou shall not wear socks with FlipFlops.
« Reply #258 on: August 19, 2018, 07:43:50 pm »
On paper, we should take this Palace team apart! Fortunately, we all know football isn't that predictable.

Although we're at the start of the season, for me, I think this game will give us, or more specifically myself, a big clue as to whether we'll be challenging for the title, or for a place in the top 4. Win lose or draw, I'll be keeping an eye out for how we deal with the long ball counter, winning second balls, knock on's etc, things that have let us down in the past.
It'll be interesting to see how our midfield copes with braking down that proverbial bus as well as helping out at the back.

I'll be keeping a close eye on Kaita, because from what I've seen of him so far, he appears to be that player we've been crying out for for some time now, and in these sort of games, he seems to have all the attributes needed to help deal with smaller clubs frustrating and snatching cheap points away from us.

I'm very optimistic about this Liverpool side, on paper at least, it's the most balanced Liverpool team I've witnessed in my adulthood.. I'm going for a 3-1 win to us.       

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: August 19, 2018, 07:44:52 pm »
You don’t win that number of games unless you go and fight for everyone one. A lot of that fight involves thinking every second of every game is must win. Not every game is must win. Every situation within it as well. You probably won’t win every game, but the teams that win the league generally go in thinking they need to. And when they don’t win, they criticise, beat themselves up and make sure they win the next time out because losing is pretty shite all around.

Tomorrow’s a must win game just like Man City at home will be.

I don't see how anyone can doubt the way we play that we do try and win every game, I'm pretty sure that is entirely what the manager does every week when he works with the players. We go into a game wanting to win.

Offline daggerdoo

• Kopite
« Reply #260 on: August 19, 2018, 07:47:25 pm »
Yeah they're all must win games at this point. Used to tell myself different so the possible outcome of draw or loss was easier to deal with. It's not really worth thinking about anything other than a win, and we should be winning tomorrow night. 2-1 I think, Keith and Sadio.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #261 on: August 19, 2018, 08:03:42 pm »
We're all worried that the best team might not win, that the variances of football will come into play and we'll drop points tomorrow. We expect to win, but fear falling short.

The bookies have Palace at 13/2, and us at 9/20 to win. They also expect that we'll win this game far more than we won't.

We're certainly far more likely to beat Palace than united are to beat Brighton. The fear comes because we have an opportunity, and a team that we actually believe in. We have better players, a far better manager, and we WILL beat them.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: August 19, 2018, 08:15:34 pm »
6 pointer

If we're getting 6 points then this is definitely a must win.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #263 on: August 19, 2018, 08:18:45 pm »
We're all worried that the best team might not win, that the variances of football will come into play and we'll drop points tomorrow. We expect to win, but fear falling short.

The bookies have Palace at 13/2, and us at 9/20 to win. They also expect that we'll win this game far more than we won't.

We're certainly far more likely to beat Palace than united are to beat Brighton. The fear comes because we have an opportunity, and a team that we actually believe in. We have better players, a far better manager, and we WILL beat them.

We’re not :)
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: August 19, 2018, 08:39:22 pm »
We have to start to build that Madrid/Barca/Man Utd under whiskey nose mentality, where every game must be a win - to the extent the opponent doesn't expect to get any kind of result, and is shocked if they do. That's the way to win the title, especially against a City team like this. Another 4-0 drubbing would be a nice way to declare ourselves tomorrow.

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: August 19, 2018, 08:41:06 pm »
What City did well last season was maintain their levels regardless of who they were playing against. Dropping 14 points all season was an astonishing effort.

To be in the conversation at the business end of the campaign we need to do similar, string together long runs of wins against all opposition. Getting out the blocks fast has proven crucial for Chelsea and City in the last two seasons so it would be great for us to get a few consecutive wins on the board.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #266 on: August 19, 2018, 08:58:48 pm »

Jeez bit silly this. We want to win every game. We’re not going to win every game against the bottom 14 clubs. Palace away is one of the 4 or 5 hardest of those games. We’ll win it quite often, sometimes we won’t.
I mean I don’t want to break anyone’s heart here but we’re not hitting 100 points this season

Offline steashy

• Main Stander
« Reply #267 on: August 19, 2018, 09:05:36 pm »
im not into this must win thing so early in the season, what i do want is us turning up to palace tomorrow night and showing everyone whos watching that were coming to take your points off you and your going to have play the game of your lives to get a result against us. correct me if im wrong but we scored more away goals last season than most teams so lets go out and smash these and lay our own bench mark, fuck city the reds are coming up the hill

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #268 on: August 19, 2018, 09:11:49 pm »
Jeez bit silly this. We want to win every game. We’re not going to win every game against the bottom 14 clubs. Palace away is one of the 4 or 5 hardest of those games. We’ll win it quite often, sometimes we won’t.
I mean I don’t want to break anyone’s heart here but we’re not hitting 100 points this season

We may or may not. It doesn't matter. The closer we get to those numbers, the better our chances of winning it. That's all that matters. We need at least a couple of massive winning runs (not just unbeaten runs) to challenge or win. The last time we challenged, there's was a spell where we won around 13 wins on the trot before losing to Chelsea. So, if we need to better that, we need to win a lot of games on the trot, that means even winning some of the harder games against the bottom 14 clubs and even some games against the Top sides (at least at Anfield).

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #269 on: August 19, 2018, 09:15:38 pm »
We’re not :)

I expect us to win, but the worry is that the right team might not win, it happens. It feels like we have not to lose this season as the expectation is greater.

But we will bloody win tomorrow. By quite a few goals.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: August 19, 2018, 09:18:19 pm »
We may or may not.

We won’t.
None of the rest of your post negates my point does it?
We won’t win every game. We won’t win every game against the bottom 14 because no one ever does
Tomorrow is the second game of the season.
This place and our fan base are going to be fucking unbearable if every time we don’t win a league game it’s seen as a some kind disaster

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: August 19, 2018, 09:18:56 pm »

The problem is that when we fail to win these games, and City do, it puts us much further behind them every time it happens.

The league winners generally win most of their games against the bottom 14 clubs. Last season, 9 of the 17 games we failed to win were against the bottom 14 clubs. Those dropped 19 points would have put us 6 points off City, all else being equal.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #272 on: August 19, 2018, 09:23:22 pm »
Had to add this from Twitter.

;D

Me during sex: hurt me

Her: Oh Gerrard slipped, Demba Ba onto it. Ba against Mignolet here for Chelsea... And Ba scores!

Me: w h a t

Her: Kroos sends it forward here to Benzema, he's got the option to Marcel-OH, and Karius! It's gone in! Oh my word!

Me: s t o p
Y.N.W.A.

Online TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: August 19, 2018, 09:24:47 pm »
Jeez bit silly this.

Not really. Phaseofplay has explained it better than me.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: August 19, 2018, 09:27:25 pm »
We may or may not. It doesn't matter. The closer we get to those numbers, the better our chances of winning it. That's all that matters. We need at least a couple of massive winning runs (not just unbeaten runs) to challenge or win. The last time we challenged, there's was a spell where we won around 13 wins on the trot before losing to Chelsea. So, if we need to better that, we need to win a lot of games on the trot, that means even winning some of the harder games against the bottom 14 clubs and even some games against the Top sides (at least at Anfield).

We need at least one winning run of 7 or more games. 11 out of the last 15 league champions have had at least one run of 7 wins or more.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: August 19, 2018, 09:29:08 pm »
The problem is that when we fail to win these games, and City do, it puts us much further behind them every time it happens.

The league winners generally win most of their games against the bottom 14 clubs. Last season, 9 of the 17 games we failed to win were against the bottom 14 clubs. Those dropped 19 points would have put us 6 points off City, all else being equal.

We’ll win most our games against the bottom 14.
Tomorrow is one of the harder ones so we’re less likely to win it than some of the others but we’ll still win it the majority of the time
It’s not a ‘must win game’ in a 38 game season

City got 100 points last year - that’s a record. It’s a completely fucking insane number which is why it’s a record and shows the benefit of nearly a billion pounds of fees and wage investment from a sovereign wealth fund. That’s not our bar - it’s not attainable by us. If they get less points this season we may have a shot at the league - if they get close to the same we won’t... in fact we may also get our record points total and still not win the league.
There’s literally zero point in heads falling off is we draw away at Palace (for example) - if our fans are going to measure our results against a 100 point or even 95 point target they’re going to have a miserable season, they may even contrive to make our record points total a negative because we finish behind a financially doped monster.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: August 19, 2018, 09:32:01 pm »
We’ll win most our games against the bottom 14.
Tomorrow is one of the harder ones so we’re less likely to win it than some of the others but we’ll still win it the majority of the time
It’s not a ‘must win game’ in a 38 game season

City got 100 points last year - that’s a record. It’s a completely fucking insane number which is why it’s a record and shows the benefit of nearly a billion pounds of fees and wage investment from a sovereign wealth fund. That’s not our bar - it’s not attainable by us. If they get less points this season we may have a shot at the league - if they get close to the same we won’t... in fact we may also get our record points total and still not win the league.
There’s literally zero point in heads falling off is we draw away at Palace (for example) - if our fans are going to measure our results against a 100 point or even 95 point target they’re going to have a miserable season, they may even contrive to make our record points total a negative because we finish behind a financially doped monster.

We need to win them at the same rate as City do, though. Otherwise, we'll fall behind.

There is no reason why we can't also aim for 100 points.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: August 19, 2018, 09:38:21 pm »

We need to win them at the same rate as City do, though. Otherwise, we'll fall behind.

There is no reason why we can't also aim for 100 points.

Aim for what you like... aim for 114.. might as well

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: August 19, 2018, 09:44:45 pm »
Aim for what you like... aim for 114.. might as well

You're misunderstanding me. I'm not having some pie in the sky dreamer moment. There are 84 points up for grabs against the bottom 14 teams. You only need to outscore every one of them by a goal, which is easier to do when you have superior firepower - which is what City did last season. Getting maximum points against the top 6, though, is harder, as you face equal attacking threats, as well as stronger defences.

So the question to ask is - are Salah, Firmino, Mane, Shaqiri and Keita capable of scoring 2 goals per game against the bottom 14 teams?

If you think they are, then a 100 point season is possible.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 10:57:31 pm by PhaseOfPlay »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: August 19, 2018, 09:52:43 pm »
You're misunderstanding me. I'm not having some pie in the sky dreamer moment. There are 84 points up for grabs against the bottom 14 teams. You only need to outscore every one of them by a goal, which is easier to do when you have superior firepower - which is what City did last season. Getting maximum points against the top 6, though, is harder, as you face equal attacking threats, as well as stronger defences.

So the question to ask is - are Salah, Firmino, Mane, Shaqiri and Keita incapable of scoring 2 goals per game against the bottom 14 teams?

If you think they are, then a 100 point season is possible.

The problem is it doesn't take into account that even if you have superior firepower and better players, other teams can still gain points on any given match day. Palace, Everton and Burnley took points off City last season. So having everything above still doesn't guarantee you anything. It could well be possible, but the point is football is the game it is because sometimes less superior teams can win points off better teams.