Author Topic: Over-rated and Under-rated Players  (Read 21334 times)

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Over-rated and Under-rated Players
« Reply #120 on: February 12, 2018, 11:17:10 pm »
Someones mentioned it but Dalglish

Never ever hear him mentioned outside our fan base

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: February 12, 2018, 11:29:24 pm »
Someones mentioned it but Dalglish

Never ever hear him mentioned outside our fan base

Him and Souness are criminally underrated by the wider public - two of the very best players Europe has ever produced. The two driving forces behind THREE European cups. Can't fathom why they're never mentioned in the same breathe as the likes of Platini, Charlton, Best, Eusebio, Matthaus, Zidane, Iniesta, Xavi, etc. They absolutely belong up there.

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #122 on: February 12, 2018, 11:43:42 pm »
Speaking of under rated, Maxi Rodriguez anyone?

Boss player, boss song. Just a shame we couldn't get him when he was 3 years younger.

Absolutely. Very much underrated. A very clever footballer who I loved watching play. He couldn't get a look in under Kenny for a while after we signed Downing and Maxi's goal (and probably assists) return was significantly higher than Downing's was. It was absolutely baffling but then I suppose Maxi wasn't English and we didn't pay 20 million for him.

Offline Lotus Eater

• "The first picture of you! The first picture of summer. See the flowers scream their joy!" Father of Water Melon Eater.
  • Kopite
  • Yer Ma wears army boots
« Reply #123 on: February 13, 2018, 12:47:35 am »
Unlike that Marco Van Basten wno retired at the age of 29  through injury. What a massively overrated shithouse he was.

Van Basten was top top class
11 September 1999 - Slater Street. 2 beers, a packet of crisps and a truncheon please.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: February 13, 2018, 05:58:39 am »
Van Basten was top top class

Go read back the posts I was replying too. It was a sarcastic reply. Van Basten's class was unquestionable.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: February 13, 2018, 06:03:49 am »
its not so much that its an unpopular opinion, but more the fact that its just complete nonsense....

The part that he was superb for two seasons,and pretty much average before that and after that? How do you call that?

Your judgement is nonsense.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: February 13, 2018, 06:09:26 am »
Torres average before he signed for us ;D

He was one of the hottest young properties in world football. Man Utd were sniffing around him the season before he signed for us.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 06:13:16 am by Lycan »
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: February 13, 2018, 06:33:41 am »
It pains me to say it, but Scholes I think really has been the most underrated player possibly in the last couple of decades. He basically underpinned Ferguson’s championship sides, even though he was continuously overshadowed by flashier players or others perhaps who had better overall numbers. But I always contend that Ferguson retired because Scholes retired, because he valued him so highly that he asked him to come out of retirement to play one more season. Other than Giggs, I can’t imagine him doing that for any other player, and I think Ferguson himself realised that without Scholes, it would be almost impossible to find another player to drive his teams forward like he did for almost two decades. Plus he was a tough fucker to boot, always hated seeing his face, and even now hearing his voice on TV.

In terms of Liverpool, you guys mentioned many of the names already, but I think Benayoun is still one of the most underrated players that ever played for us. Kind of in the same way as Maxi was. He was pretty instrumental in ‘09, when we were still leaning on Torres heavily. He scored some pretty important goals for us that season, I still remember his goal against Fulham coming off the bench in the last minute in extra time. He was never prolific, and never did start consistsntly for us, but like Maxi did, he did on more than a few occasions come up with the goods when we needed someone to step up.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #128 on: February 13, 2018, 06:47:48 am »
Scholes is definitely underrated by a lot of Liverpool fans. Not by the wider footballing community though. If anything he is slightly overrated by many in this country.

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: February 13, 2018, 06:52:57 am »
Scholes is definitely underrated by a lot of Liverpool fans. Not by the wider footballing community though. If anything he is slightly overrated by many in this country.

In the wider world, when people talk about the best players the last couple of decades, the likes of the Ronaldos, Zidane, Beckham, Messi, Totti etc. always come to the fore. But honestly, you will never hear anyone mention Scholes. Nor will you see his name on the back of any jerseys either.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 06:55:12 am by Bend It Like Aurelio »

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: February 13, 2018, 09:12:36 am »
Scholes had more seasons where he started less than half uniteds league games thn he did starting over 30. And wasnt exactly a huge influence in Fergusons best side (29, 22 ad then 14 starts 06-09). If he was that important he'd have been starting way more. He probably went from underrated to overrated faster than any other player. Would always take Gerrard and then Lampard over him.

Offline Jish

• Kemlynite
  • absence makes the heart grow fungus
« Reply #131 on: February 13, 2018, 09:17:23 am »
Underrated - Jari Litmanen. Superb footballer who rarely gets a mention

Overrated - It probably sounds stupid but Rob Lee when he played for Newcastle routinely won the Sky man of the match award despite being mostly anonymous in most games. He was a solid enough professional and i have no axe to grind but me and my mates used to piss ourselves laughing every time it was announced

Oh and Ross Barkley. Gazza on quaaludes

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: February 13, 2018, 09:28:51 am »
Scholes was a different type of player to Gerrard and Lampard, at least later on in his career. I'm not sure I'd compare him to those two.

I rate him very highly myself, think he was consistently one of their best players if perhaps never the best, and his passing made them tick, similar to Alonso for us (who also had 1-2 better players in the team during his time here but he was probably the most important one). But on the other hand, I understand why Scholes isn't mention with Ronaldo, Messi or Zidane, as is posted above, as he simply wasn't that good obviously. However, far better than Beckham (who is also named above). I'd guess judging by this thread that I think he's both overrated if you want to mention him alongside the likes of Xavi or Zidane, and underrated if you don't think he was a massively important player for them with a superb passing game, unlike any other English midfielder I've seen in the last 20-25 years.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #133 on: February 13, 2018, 09:34:59 am »
In the wider world, when people talk about the best players the last couple of decades, the likes of the Ronaldos, Zidane, Beckham, Messi, Totti etc. always come to the fore. But honestly, you will never hear anyone mention Scholes. Nor will you see his name on the back of any jerseys either.

That's coz he's a ginger. Ginger's have no souls.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: February 13, 2018, 09:51:59 am »

I never actually hear anyone with even a passing knowledge of footie mention Beckham and Totti amongst the best players of the last couple of decades - just the two Ronaldos, Messi, ZZ, Rivaldo, Dinho, Iniesta and Xavi (obviously missing some great GKs and defenders, but no one really mentions them). In fact, in the last few years (for right or wrong) it's pretty much been narrowed down to just Messi and cRonaldo.

Scholes doesn't belong in that category, so it's quite right that he's not mentioned.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: February 13, 2018, 09:59:42 am »
Scholes is at Carricks level.  I'm sure people will see that as overrating or underrating either of them.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #136 on: February 13, 2018, 10:13:01 am »
Scholes is at Carricks level.  I'm sure people will see that as overrating or underrating either of them.

That's complete nonsense. I don't agree that Scholes is under-rated; he's actually taken on a slightly mythological presence in the footballing pantheon since retiring (Ferguson signed Veron for a reason!), but he was undoubtedly a far more complete footballer than Michael Carrick.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #137 on: February 13, 2018, 10:14:12 am »

He was better than Carrick, but always annoys me to see the ‘who was the best CM in PL history’ with him involved. Wasn’t in Gerrard or Xabis league.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: February 13, 2018, 10:23:26 am »
He was better than Carrick, but always annoys me to see the ‘who was the best CM in PL history’ with him involved. Wasn’t in Gerrard or Xabis league.
Xabi wins comparing careers but can see an argument for Scholes premier league vs alonso's short one.

I rate Carrick highly and think he was very good for United under Ferguson. Would take a prime Carrick in our side now

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: February 13, 2018, 10:44:59 am »
Carrick's a really good example of an underrated player (although at times the "Irwin/Firmino rule" did apply to him). Played a massive part in 5 titles and a CL.

The English press, and most of the English football watching public, prefer a Roy of the Rovers type central midfielder, so he never got much credit by the wider footballing community. Really good though and the England national team would have fared a lot better with him being a regular starter.

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: February 13, 2018, 11:21:58 am »
david beckham is underrated.

He is tainted by the reverse hyypia/irwin,firmino rule

because everyone calls him overrated he is now underrated amongst true football fans, I will accept that amongst casuals he might be overrated, and deffo was overrated by them during his career

But I have never seen anyone cross a ball better, his work rate and leadership make him a great all round package.  After fergie he was possibly the biggest reason for helping to establish Man U's dominance (for reasons on and off the field), Man U went 3 years without a title after he left, he gave them a cutting edge in games they should win and in the big games, his energy meant he acted like a third CM

Offline Dr_Evil

• Anny Roader
« Reply #141 on: February 14, 2018, 09:59:33 am »
david beckham is underrated.

He is tainted by the reverse hyypia/irwin,firmino rule

because everyone calls him overrated he is now underrated amongst true football fans, I will accept that amongst casuals he might be overrated, and deffo was overrated by them during his career

But I have never seen anyone cross a ball better, his work rate and leadership make him a great all round package.  After fergie he was possibly the biggest reason for helping to establish Man U's dominance (for reasons on and off the field), Man U went 3 years without a title after he left, he gave them a cutting edge in games they should win and in the big games, his energy meant he acted like a third CM

A little bit like Ronaldo (but to be clear, I'm no putting him in the same talent bracket as Ronaldo), Beckham's obsession with his image overshadowed what a great player he was. Also, when he was on the World stage, playing in the WC in Japan having (barely) recovered from a broken foot was a mistake; the sending off against Argentina in France also detracted from his ability.

But - and its a game shown quite often still - have a look at his performance against Arsenal in 1999 in the FA Cup semi final; not just his delivery, but his work rate was incredible (and more pace than he was given credit for). I thought he was a better palyer than Giggs, for example.
Holy fuck lads I got family home. My computer isn't at a hidden place in the house. They saw the penis.

Offline Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: February 16, 2018, 03:04:30 pm »
So, Eric Carlton Pogba-Pogba seems to be sticking. Classic  :lmao

Offline Perseus

• Anny Roader
« Reply #143 on: February 18, 2018, 05:26:59 pm »
Mark Lawrenson as a footballer, not as a pundit. Should be higher in the all time Liverpool greats.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: February 18, 2018, 05:38:07 pm »
Absolutely. Very much underrated. A very clever footballer who I loved watching play. He couldn't get a look in under Kenny for a while after we signed Downing and Maxi's goal (and probably assists) return was significantly higher than Downing's was. It was absolutely baffling but then I suppose Maxi wasn't English and we didn't pay 20 million for him.
maxi wanted to go back to newells that summer which may partially explain it, but he should have played so much more that year

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: February 18, 2018, 06:29:04 pm »
Mark Lawrenson as a footballer, not as a pundit. Should be higher in the all time Liverpool greats.
Brilliant footballer, career cruelly cut short.

Offline Perseus

• Anny Roader
« Reply #146 on: February 18, 2018, 10:08:10 pm »
Brilliant footballer, career cruelly cut short.

Liverpool offered a club transfer record of £900,000, and Lawrenson joined in the summer of 1981.

It turned out a bargain and was never a risk.

Offline tonysleft

• Legacy Fan
  • A manc
« Reply #147 on: February 18, 2018, 10:15:59 pm »
Carrick's a really good example of an underrated player (although at times the "Irwin/Firmino rule" did apply to him). Played a massive part in 5 titles and a CL.

The English press, and most of the English football watching public, prefer a Roy of the Rovers type central midfielder, so he never got much credit by the wider footballing community. Really good though and the England national team would have fared a lot better with him being a regular starter.
A crime from Sven and then McClaren not to put him behind Gerrard and Lampard in a trio.
Great chiefs and great loves in obliterated light

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #148 on: February 19, 2018, 11:51:06 am »
A crime from Sven and then McClaren not to put him behind Gerrard and Lampard in a trio.

In fairness Sven did do that with one of Carrick or Hargreaves at the 2006 World Cup.

Offline Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: June 17, 2018, 08:43:12 pm »
Neymar.

Such a fucking bell end. Tries to make the game all about him, rather than just trying to create or score goals for his team.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: June 17, 2018, 08:46:42 pm »
Lampard, the most overrated player of this generation.

Offline astowell1

• Legacy Fan
  • Klopp!
« Reply #151 on: June 17, 2018, 08:49:49 pm »

Scored a boat load of goals.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: June 17, 2018, 09:02:35 pm »
Neymar.  Never understood the hype around this lad.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: June 17, 2018, 09:14:22 pm »
Bebe was quite underrated imo

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: June 17, 2018, 09:17:02 pm »
Neymar.  Never understood the hype around this lad.
are you joking
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #155 on: June 17, 2018, 09:20:10 pm »

Terrible shout.

Neymar just had a bad day at the office. He’s still comfortably in the top 3 players in the world

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: June 17, 2018, 10:43:43 pm »
Terrible shout.

Neymar just had a bad day at the office. He’s still comfortably in the top 3 players in the world

I'm not so sure.

While he's been pissing around in the French league boosting his stats against shite defences, Mo Salah took the Premier League by storm, after hauling his country to their first WC finals in 28 years.

Debatable, sure. But not sure Neymar is 'comfortable' in the top 3.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: June 17, 2018, 10:55:05 pm »
Neymar is joint 3rd on the all-time Brazilian goalscorers list at the age of 26 and highly likely to break Pele's record by the time he calls it a day.

Combined league and Champions League stats since he moved to Europe;

2013/14- 13 goals 11 assists
2014/15- 32 goals 7 assists
2015/16- 27 goals 16 assists
2016/17- 17 goals 19 assists
2017/18- 25 goals 16 assists

He's scored a great goal in an Olympic final in Brazil, scored 4 goals in Brazil's World Cup before he got injured, scored in a Champions League final and scored in 3 Copa Del Rey finals. Add in the fact he's the best dribbler on Earth too. He is anything but overrated, he's not rated enough in fact.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 11:03:01 pm by Gerry Attrick »

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: June 17, 2018, 10:56:11 pm »
I'd have Neymar comfortable top 3. For all the critics i've yet to see him really have a proper dip, first it was he'll never get away with those tricks in europe, then it was he's just lucky to be playing with world class players and in spain, in england he'd get clamped, now its the french leagues shit so it doesn't count. He's been consistently brilliant and he's what top 4 or 5 in Brazils all time top goalscorers at 26 years of age?

He's annoying, he can be a frustrating player to watch but he's a fucking beast. Salah has had a season i will never ever forget, but at the same time who was really talking about him before the move to us? He didn't have a bad season, in fact he did really well at Roma but it wasn't best in the world conversation stuff, Neymars been doing that for the last few seasons and been included in the conversation for good reason. Its quite frustrating the style without substance type of thing is levelled at Neymar because he produces end product a quite frightening amount.

People should look at the fact he looked comfortably sublime in a trio with Lionel Messi and Luis Suarez, that's not easy in any way shape or form.

I've no doubt Salah will keep up his brilliance by the way, that wasn't my point. But i do think the top 3 in the world is Messi Ronaldo and Neymar, just how i see it but its no slight on the other players out there more appreciation for the brilliance of those 3

I'd love to see Neymar in the premier league just to stop all the do it in a real league chatter but I don't ever want to see our opponents strengthened to that degree haha

The showboating can annoy people and i get that, but at the same time, is it any worse than Messi and Ronaldo just walking about doing fuck all? Ronaldinho is still more entertaining for me but who's doing it more consistently for a more prolonged period? Neymar hands down. He's a joy to watch, his ball control is something that isn't appreciated enough in my opinion
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 10:58:47 pm by RyanBabel19 »

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: June 17, 2018, 11:08:16 pm »
The ones talking about never understanding the hype act as if this is the only match he's every played? Forget about the years he spent at Barca and performed the way he did.

Mind boggling shite.