Author Topic: Owlez, Owlez, Owlez - The Roy Hodgson Appreciation Thread.  (Read 257575 times)

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: ''What do you mean do my methods translate?'' - The Roy Hodgson Thread
« Reply #880 on: August 17, 2018, 09:11:59 am »
God I miss the nicknames that we gave him.

The Owl, The Hodge, Hodge Podge, Uncle Roy to name a few.

I think I can remember one beginning with C as well.

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #881 on: August 17, 2018, 09:25:35 am »
The Codge?
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #882 on: August 17, 2018, 10:29:54 am »

The Cowl?

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #883 on: August 17, 2018, 10:34:48 am »
Twat, Sly, Knob, c*nt, arse, pretty shitty

You’re listing to the owl who could only dream of beating city.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #884 on: August 17, 2018, 10:36:45 am »
OFC

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #885 on: August 17, 2018, 12:10:50 pm »
Twat, Sly, Knob, c*nt, arse, pretty shitty

You’re listing to the owl who could only dream of beating city.

This is jam hot. This is jam hot.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #886 on: August 17, 2018, 12:17:48 pm »

Haha.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #887 on: August 17, 2018, 12:32:20 pm »

Fucking brilliant.

When you're on, you're on Nick!

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #889 on: August 17, 2018, 01:11:30 pm »
Big Nick is a 6 yard area goal poacher ;D
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #890 on: August 17, 2018, 01:31:37 pm »

:D I did think you must have done it on purpose!

Offline cg82

• Top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top top poster
  • Main Stander
« Reply #891 on: August 17, 2018, 01:33:33 pm »
God I miss the nicknames that we gave him.

The Owl, The Hodge, Hodge Podge, Uncle Roy to name a few.

I don't.

I miss nothing about the turgid, depressing, utterly despair-inducing, grim-soaked, grey-skied bastard of a period when that aul c*nt managed our great club.

Nothing.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #892 on: August 17, 2018, 01:34:02 pm »

Allegedly, he's got a team of writers working around the clock but don't quote me on that.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #893 on: August 17, 2018, 11:55:47 pm »
Allegedly, he's got a team of writers working around the clock but don't quote me on that.

It’s true.

https://youtu.be/XxIS_snYrLA
We are Liverpool!

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #894 on: August 18, 2018, 12:09:49 am »

And then they say it again. "This is jam hot"
Better looking than Samie.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #895 on: August 18, 2018, 04:22:39 am »
Roy Hodgson’s troubled Liverpool reign: A story of muddled messages losing the hearts and minds of Anfield

"...And then there was Everton, whose last victory in a Merseyside derby came under Hodgson’s spell. Following a 2-0 defeat where Liverpool were bullied and out-skilled at Goodison Park, there was a car crash of a post-match press conference where he asked for the press room window to be shut, presumably to muffle out the sound of Evertonians gleefully singing “Going down, going down,” from the Winslow Pub. He would later sneer at a Norwegian journalist for asking him a question about his future – telling him Norway was a country he never wished to manage in again. Between those moments, there was time for this bewildering reflection: “That was as good we’ve played all season,” Hodgson insisted. “I have no qualms about the performance whatsoever. To get a result here would have been utopia. But I can only analyse the performance. There is no point into trying to analyse dreams.” With that, a highly respected broadcaster – someone who had covered Liverpool since the days of Bill Shankly – was heard at the back of the room offering his own instinctive reaction: “Dear god!” he recoiled..."

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-roy-hodgson-crystal-palace-manager-a8495391.html
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #896 on: August 18, 2018, 06:50:24 am »
That Everton story is spectacular.

Also, it's wild that we've only been beaten once by Everton in the past ten years or so and that was under Roy.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #897 on: August 18, 2018, 08:27:54 am »
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-roy-hodgson-crystal-palace-manager-a8495391.html

Good piece and it's always fun to have a go at Hodgson but the bit about the team having the stench of relegation is way off.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #898 on: August 18, 2018, 08:36:50 am »
I remember my heart lifting when I saw this:

Liverpool FC Forum / A Message to John Henry
« on: December 30, 2010, 10:14:36 AM »
Dear John,

You said yourself recently that there have been many poor short term decisions taken at this football club in the recent past. This is undoubtedly true and one of them was the appointment of Roy Hodgson as Liverpool manager.  In all his 35 years of management there was absolutely no evidence that he had the experience required to manage a club of the stature of Liverpool FC.  Despite this, for six months this site has supported him as best we could, as we did not want to exacerbate a problem not of your making. We were happy to trust your judgement, to allow you to get your feet under the desk, to appoint a management team and to make the right decision on the manager when you were ready. We were hoping that in return Roy just might prove capable of limiting the long-term damage to the club during that time.

Unfortunately it is clear from events so far this season culminating in the inept display last night that the consequences of keeping Roy Hodgson in place are now so pressing that immediate and decisive action is required from Fenway. His position at the club is no longer tenable. He appears to have lost the ability to motivate the team, a team of internationals and World Cup winners, and he has certainly lost the backing of the Anfield crowd with 40,000 openly showing their derision at his inept tactics.

The bond between Liverpool fans and their managers is strong, stronger than at any club in the world, and in normal circumstances it would be unthinkable to see the crowd turn on the manager as they did last night.  If there was ever any coming back from that for Mr. Hodgson he closed that door himself in his post-match interview when he criticised the support of those same fans.  Sorry, but those fans will be standing on the Kop supporting this team long after Roy Hodgson has gone and they were supporting their club in the only way they know how, defending it from a man who is corroding it from the inside.

We wholeheartedly agree with your strategy of concentrating on what is in the best long-term interests of Liverpool FC, even if it is at the expense of short-term popularity. We now believe however that we have reached a tipping point and that Roy Hodgson's continued presence in the dugout is now detrimental to the long-term future of the club as well as our immediate future this league season.

Red And White Kop

We knew John Henry was reading RAWK; we knew the message would reach him and we had shown we had the power to influence events. Sure enough...  Let's hope we deal better with his predictable Benteke/Zaha centred tactics on Monday.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #899 on: August 18, 2018, 09:10:14 am »
We said all that.... and then he went to manage England...

:lmao

W

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #900 on: August 18, 2018, 09:51:17 am »
I don't.

I miss nothing about the turgid, depressing, utterly despair-inducing, grim-soaked, grey-skied bastard of a period when that aul c*nt managed our great club.

Nothing.
Indeed, and it was even worse than your eloquent description depicts mate.

Christ, it's the weekend and all these reminders are fucking depressing. I started reading that article and thought to myself "why are you putting yourself through this". Put it all back in the box and take it away please.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #901 on: August 18, 2018, 09:56:20 am »

Also, it's wild that we've only been beaten once by Everton in the past ten years or so and that was under Roy.

yeah but it was the best performance of the season and would've been utopia.....

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #902 on: August 18, 2018, 10:02:43 am »
Good piece and it's always fun to have a go at Hodgson but the bit about the team having the stench of relegation is way off.

Maybe for that first game but can you honestly say that we were showing relegation form from that game onward ?
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #903 on: August 18, 2018, 12:27:26 pm »

Maybe for that first game but can you honestly say that we were showing relegation form from that game onward ?

We were but that was more to do with Hodgson than anything else. Even though Simon Hughes acknowledges it, it's still and odd thing to say about a one off team playing against Rabotnicki in the 3rd qualifying round of the Europa League - a game which we won 2-0 and which was made up of fringe players and others such as Agger, Skrtel, Kyrgiakos, Lucas and Aquilani as relegation material.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #904 on: August 18, 2018, 12:49:39 pm »
I always find it funny that the lack of title-challenging experience told against Hodgson, yet one of his successors at the time had even less experience, and nearly won us the league. Which goes to show again that there's a way to win league titles, and sitting in two banks of five and restricting the talents of your creative players is not it :D
Better looking than Samie.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #905 on: August 18, 2018, 12:51:08 pm »
We were but that was more to do with Hodgson than anything else. Even though Simon Hughes acknowledges it, it's still and odd thing to say about a one off team playing against Rabotnicki in the 3rd qualifying round of the Europa League - a game which we won 2-0 and which was made up of fringe players and others such as Agger, Skrtel, Kyrgiakos, Lucas and Aquilani as relegation material.

Mate he made the best 22 English players available look like shit, and we all warned the FA as to what would happen!
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #906 on: August 18, 2018, 10:37:50 pm »
I always find it funny that the lack of title-challenging experience told against Hodgson, yet one of his successors at the time had even less experience, and nearly won us the league. Which goes to show again that there's a way to win league titles, and sitting in two banks of five and restricting the talents of your creative players is not it :D

Yeah but:

Liverpool’s current midfield king, Steven Gerrard, voiced his respect for Hodgson the man during the manager’s six-month stay, although some of the players had issues with the complexity of his training sessions at Melwood.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/9237527/Englands-players-must-open-their-eyes-to-Roy-Hodgson-a-man-who-is-guided-by-a-light-that-shines-within.html

If you can stomach it, it's a hilariously nauseating read, with my favourite being:

The road to enlightenment was never going to be easy.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #908 on: August 20, 2018, 10:23:53 am »
Yeah but:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/9237527/Englands-players-must-open-their-eyes-to-Roy-Hodgson-a-man-who-is-guided-by-a-light-that-shines-within.html

If you can stomach it, it's a hilariously nauseating read, with my favourite being:

What a puff piece!
No mention of his time playing in South Africa during the Apartheid years?
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #909 on: August 20, 2018, 10:33:58 am »
Can we just please beat the owl tonight? Tough away game, they have started well.
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #910 on: August 20, 2018, 10:35:49 am »

That result would basically make him their manager of the decade for most of their fans.  ;D

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #911 on: August 20, 2018, 12:04:59 pm »
Don't read this if it still hurts  :P

Ah, the memories. Ten days before the nightmare ended:

Liverpool 0-1 Wolves

Wolves beat Liverpool for the first time in 27 years to climb off the foot of the Premier League table and pile pressure on Reds manager Roy Hodgson.
Stephen Ward's crisp finish from Sylvan Ebanks-Blake's pass 11 minutes into the second half proved enough to give Mick McCarthy's men a famous victory.
Raul Meireles wasted a dismal Liverpool's best chance early on when he shot straight at Wayne Hennessey.
And Martin Skrtel's late headed goal was rightly ruled out for offside.
That scare aside, Wolves had little trouble in holding on for their first league away win of the season and their first over the Reds since little-known striker Steve Mardenborough gave them a victory at Anfield in January 1984.

In truth McCarthy's side, so often unable to turn impressive performances into points, were fully worthy of all three on an evening when Liverpool looked totally devoid of any creative spark.
Before the match, Hodgson had expressed the hope that his players would be fresh rather than rusty after an 18-day break from league commitments because of two successive postponements.
But even the return of skipper Steven Gerrard from a six-week injury layoff could not inspire Liverpool, and Hodgson headed down the tunnel with the boos of fans ringing in his ears after an eighth league defeat of the season which leaves the Reds in 12th place going into the new year, just three points above the relegation zone ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/9308904.stm

Roy Hodgson regrets comments about Liverpool fans

Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson has said sorry to fans for any offence caused by his comments after the home defeat by Wolves and vowed he will not quit.
The club's eighth league loss of the season to the relegation scrappers on Wednesday was greeted by boos, leading Hodgson to call for more backing.
"I'm disappointed and I certainly regret if I have offended them in any way," Hodgson said on Friday.
"The last thing in my mind is walking away from a club like this," he added.
In the closing stages of the defeat by Wolves, who had not previously won away all season, fans sarcastically chanted "Hodgson for England" and sang the name of former boss Kenny Dalglish.
Following the match, Hodgson appeared to suggest their energy would be better directed to getting behind the team.
"I have to hope the fans will become supporters because we need support. We are not deliberately losing games," he said.
But speaking at a scheduled news briefing ahead of Saturday's crucial home match against Bolton, Hodgson suggested his words had been "misinterpreted."
"It was not meant to be an offensive comment in any way," the 63-year-old said.
"I was responding to a question about how it felt to be jeered by fans, making it clear it hurts me and I was disappointed by it because no-one wants to feel they are unpopular.
"I was taking responsibility and prepared to accept that I would be in the firing line. I'm very disappointed if that has been transformed into me attacking the fans.
"I understand it is up to me to take it on the chin but it's not been an easy ride for me. It's been an uphill struggle and I was not the first choice appointment with a lot of fans."
Hodgson, who joined Liverpool from Fulham in July 2010, has presided over Liverpool's worst start to a season in more than half a century.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/9330251.stm

Joe Cole says Liverpool players support Roy Hodgson

Liverpool midfielder Joe Cole leapt to the defence of embattled manager Roy Hodgson after the Reds fought back to snatch a dramatic 2-1 win over Bolton.
Substitute Cole scored a 92nd-minute winner to ease the pressure on Hodgson, whose future has come under intense scrutiny amid a poor run of results.
But 29-year-old Cole said: "We are all behind the manager. We all want to put this club in the right direction.
"We are out there playing for the shirt and the manager."
Hodgson, who left Fulham in July 2010 to succeed Rafael Benitez, has endured a difficult start to life on Merseyside.
His Liverpool side collected only six points from their opening eight matches and found themselves entrenched in the relegation zone.
They won five of their subsequent eight games but defeats by Newcastle and Wolves left them only three points above the bottom three prior to Bolton's visit.

"We have all got to stick together because there is no-one bigger than the club," stated Cole after notching his first league goal since joining Liverpool from Chelsea last summer.
"I am really happy for everyone at the club; it has been a tough week for everyone - particularly the manager - but we've got the win.

"It is not just the newspapers, none of us like losing and getting criticised but half the battle of modern day football is dealing with pressure and kicking on.
"We are pleased for the fans, the owners and the manager but we have all got to stick together and kick on from here, it can't be a false dawn."
The Liverpool fans turned on Hodgson during and after the Wolves loss on Wednesday, and he was forced to apologise for any offence caused by comments he made about their support for him after that match.
Reports suggest Anfield owners New England Sports Ventures (NESV), which completed its takeover in October 2010, have already started their search for a new manager.
European scout Tor-Kristian Karlsen said on his Twitter feed that Borussia Dortmund manager Jurgen Klopp had been approached about the Liverpool job and that former Hoffenheim coach Ralf Rangnick was also a candidate.
But the Bolton result, which moved Liverpool up to ninth in the Premier League table having played at least one game fewer than most of the teams above them, may have given Hodgson some breathing space.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/9332585.stm

Roy Hodgson Clings to Job as Liverpool Manager

Roy Hodgson looks set to remain as Liverpool manager this weekend after the club's American owners took no decision over his future.
Hodgson was at the club's training ground on Friday but a media conference ahead of Sunday's FA Cup clash with Manchester United was later cancelled.
The club said it was "due to ongoing media speculation about his position".
But the 63-year-old's job remains in the balance following their 3-1 Premier League loss to Blackburn on Wednesday.
The loss left Liverpool 12th in league, four points above the relegation zone.
The former Fulham manager's future was the subject of a series of trans-Atlantic phone calls on Thursday, involving Liverpool's American owners the Fenway Sports Group, director of football strategy Damien Comolli and other senior officials.

Liverpool do not currently have a chief executive, which may partly explain the lack of a decision one way or the other, but Hodgson is expected to be replaced as soon as a successor is identified.
Club legend Kenny Dalglish, who many Liverpool fans want installed in Hodgson's place, is currently out of the country and is not expected to return until next week.
Hodgson, who took training as usual at the club's training ground in Melwood on Friday, will now have what appears to be one last chance to save his job, against rivals Manchester United.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/9343626.stm

Roy Hodgson exits Liverpool & Kenny Dalglish takes over

Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson has left the club by mutual consent.
Hodgson, 63, won only seven of 20 Premier League games after taking over from Rafael Benitez in July 2010 and led the club to 12th in the table.
Former player and manager Kenny Dalglish has been placed in charge until the end of the season.
"Both parties thought it in the best interests of the club that he stand down," said American owner John W Henry in a statement on the club's website.
Hodgson refused to answer questions about his Anfield future following Liverpool's 3-1 defeat by Blackburn on Wednesday, the club's third loss in four Premier League games, which left them just four points clear of the relegation zone.
And when his press conference ahead of Liverpool's FA Cup third-round match against Manchester United on Sunday was cancelled on Friday, it fuelled further speculation that the former Fulham manager's tenure was drawing to a close.

"I have found the last few months some of the most challenging of my career," read a statement from Hodgson on the club's website.
"I am very sad not to have been able to put my stamp on the squad, to be given the time to bring new players into the club in this transfer window and to have been able to be part of the rebuilding process at Liverpool."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/9350630.stm

« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 12:07:02 pm by Redsnappa »

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #912 on: August 20, 2018, 12:24:21 pm »
Don't read this if it still hurts  :P

Ah, the memories. Ten days before the nightmare ended:

Liverpool 0-1 Wolves

Wolves beat Liverpool for the first time in 27 years to climb off the foot of the Premier League table and pile pressure on Reds manager Roy Hodgson.
Stephen Ward's crisp finish from Sylvan Ebanks-Blake's pass 11 minutes into the second half proved enough to give Mick McCarthy's men a famous victory.

See now that result really was a famous victory.

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #913 on: August 20, 2018, 12:28:57 pm »
Also, I forgot we were four points clear of the relegation zone halfway through that season. Blimey.

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #914 on: August 20, 2018, 12:32:14 pm »
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/roy-hodgson-defends-reign-different-15046986

Speaking of the differences between his time at Anfield and now, Hodgson said: "It's a big club. It's a long time since I was there.

"The people who employed me weren't the people who took over the club and have carried it forward.

"It was a very different Liverpool that I joined to the one we see today, because the one we see today has had a lot of money invested in it. We didn't have any money to spend. They've spent a few bob over the last couple of years.

If only someone had told him before he took over the banks had taken over us and we were looking for new owners and had very little money to spend, maybe he wouldn't have taken over the job.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #915 on: August 20, 2018, 12:41:20 pm »
Fucking hell. Wolves. How toxic that was. I hate this bastard.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Online swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #916 on: August 20, 2018, 12:52:13 pm »

The only amusing thing that night was the guy in the crowd that sky cut to that stood up and did the "FUCK OFF ROY YOU WANKER, FUCK OFF!!!" while doing a wanker gesture

Such a depressing time

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #917 on: August 20, 2018, 01:07:05 pm »
The only amusing thing that night was the guy in the crowd that sky cut to that stood up and did the "FUCK OFF ROY YOU WANKER, FUCK OFF!!!" while doing a wanker gesture

Such a depressing time

One of the few times I raised a smile during a football match in the last few weeks of Hodgson era.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 01:09:06 pm by Kekuleyule y'all! »

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #918 on: August 20, 2018, 01:12:14 pm »
I remember my heart lifting when I saw this:

Liverpool FC Forum / A Message to John Henry
« on: December 30, 2010, 10:14:36 AM »
Dear John,

You said yourself recently that there have been many poor short term decisions taken at this football club in the recent past. This is undoubtedly true and one of them was the appointment of Roy Hodgson as Liverpool manager.  In all his 35 years of management there was absolutely no evidence that he had the experience required to manage a club of the stature of Liverpool FC.  Despite this, for six months this site has supported him as best we could, as we did not want to exacerbate a problem not of your making. We were happy to trust your judgement, to allow you to get your feet under the desk, to appoint a management team and to make the right decision on the manager when you were ready. We were hoping that in return Roy just might prove capable of limiting the long-term damage to the club during that time.

Unfortunately it is clear from events so far this season culminating in the inept display last night that the consequences of keeping Roy Hodgson in place are now so pressing that immediate and decisive action is required from Fenway. His position at the club is no longer tenable. He appears to have lost the ability to motivate the team, a team of internationals and World Cup winners, and he has certainly lost the backing of the Anfield crowd with 40,000 openly showing their derision at his inept tactics.

The bond between Liverpool fans and their managers is strong, stronger than at any club in the world, and in normal circumstances it would be unthinkable to see the crowd turn on the manager as they did last night.  If there was ever any coming back from that for Mr. Hodgson he closed that door himself in his post-match interview when he criticised the support of those same fans.  Sorry, but those fans will be standing on the Kop supporting this team long after Roy Hodgson has gone and they were supporting their club in the only way they know how, defending it from a man who is corroding it from the inside.

We wholeheartedly agree with your strategy of concentrating on what is in the best long-term interests of Liverpool FC, even if it is at the expense of short-term popularity. We now believe however that we have reached a tipping point and that Roy Hodgson's continued presence in the dugout is now detrimental to the long-term future of the club as well as our immediate future this league season.

Red And White Kop

We knew John Henry was reading RAWK; we knew the message would reach him and we had shown we had the power to influence events. Sure enough...  Let's hope we deal better with his predictable Benteke/Zaha centred tactics on Monday.

I was a regular visitor to RAWK back then and remember this well, along with doing my "internet terrorist" bit just before. When you compare that 12 month period with now......my god the difference. Just shows you how quickly things change in football, for good and bad.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #919 on: August 20, 2018, 01:12:55 pm »

Weren't tickets on general sale on the night for that match it got that bad under his reign?
#Sausages