Author Topic: David James  (Read 3422 times)

Offline miffed

• Kopite
David James
« on: June 14, 2004, 01:07:21 pm »
Message boards everywhere are slaughtering us for Heskey's tackle and Stevie's uncharacteristic howler, but nowhere is there any criticism of how James didn't seem ready and never moved on ZZ'z perfect shot (it was unstoppable of course) and the horrible way he played Henry which could have resulted in nothing other than a pen.

England will never win anything with him in goal imo.

Offline Joe C

• Kopite
  • use your head hicks
Re: David James
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 01:08:48 pm »
Chris Kirkland is the future
RTK

Offline AdamS

• Hey I'm Not Camp! But I am a tart...
  • Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 01:29:24 pm »
James was behind his wall, he was moving further behind it trying to anticpate where it was going. I think it was a stoppable freekick.

The annoying thing is that Madrid have worked that freekick several times this season!
If A is a success in life, than A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.

Offline Tim

• Make that an umbrella in my Breezer. Jimmy Anderson's stunt double.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Welcome to Heaven
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 01:30:32 pm »
Message boards everywhere are slaughtering us for Heskey's tackle and Stevie's uncharacteristic howler, but nowhere is there any criticism of how James didn't seem ready and never moved on ZZ'z perfect shot (it was unstoppable of course) and the horrible way he played Henry which could have resulted in nothing other than a pen.

I wouldn't blame him at all although he himself has come out and taken some of the blame. By the time he saw it, it was in and for the penalty the only person to blame is Stevie as much as it pains me to say it.

If you're going to sign up on Betfair please use my code N4TFVF4PK

We'll both get £20

:wave

Offline SteB

• Kopite
  • Our Reason, Our Inspiration, Our Pride. JFT 96
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 01:34:07 pm »
BECKHAMS FAULT! might seem that im being biased against him cos im a red but....if becham scored and england went 2-0 up then the game would have been over and stevie would have never been in that position to fuck up. the goal was never in a million years david james' fault imho.
What you see is what you get Youve made your bed, you better lie in it You choose your leaders and place your trust As their lies wash you down and their promises rust Youll see kidney machines replaced by rockets and guns And the public wants what the public gets But I dont get what this society wants

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004, 01:39:37 pm »
I think the free kick was a tricky one, as a keeper myself i can appreciate how difficult those are, in saying that he should have the weight on his left, to move to the right as the wall covered the left hand side of the goal. As for the pen. it was a back pass, and therefore he had to go in feet first, people seem to be thinking he should have gone hands first, but he couldn't.
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline AdamS

• Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2004, 01:41:46 pm »
people seem to be thinking he should have gone hands first, but he couldn't.
He could! It would have resulted in an indirect freekick! ;)

France should have been out of the game. Why wasn't Silvestre sent off?
If A is a success in life, than A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2004, 01:47:00 pm »
Agreed, but instinct would have stopped him going hands first wouldn't it?

And.... :lickin for being smug!
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline AdamS

• Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2004, 01:51:12 pm »
Agreed, but instinct would have stopped him going hands first wouldn't it?

And.... :lickin for being smug!
???

Does smugness turn you on?

Offline Barley

• Anny Roader
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2004, 01:52:31 pm »
BECKHAMS FAULT! might seem that im being biased against him cos im a red but....if becham scored and england went 2-0 up then the game would have been over and stevie would have never been in that position to fuck up. the goal was never in a million years david james' fault imho.

Hmmm, Beckham taking a crucial penalty against a 'keeper who'd have practised for hours on end with Sir David, a 'keeper who'd have known better than almost any other how to read the kick....

If it were England v Poland, would anyone be confident in St. Michael beating Jerzy?

No way Beckham should have been anywhere near that penalty spot IMO.

Interesting to contrast the two penalties, Beckham's was average and easily stopped once the 'keeper guessed right. Guessing right would have made ZZ's no easier to save, it was too good.

And to all those havin' a pop at the LFC boys, a reminder...

Germany 1 - 5 Liverpool

There will always be heroes, there will always be villains
Coming so damn close to (an unexpected?) victory only adds to the pain

YNWA
                       That's not your knee, that's Liverpools knee.                 

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2004, 01:54:20 pm »
 :P for being smug then...

:-[

Offline AdamS

• Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2004, 01:58:31 pm »

Offline Tom iGor

• gifted googler
  • Legacy Fan
  • http://www.minor7th.com/
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2004, 02:04:01 pm »
Does Frank Lampard hit a mean penalty? He's got that look about his game.

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No one on the corner got a swagger like me
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2004, 02:38:35 pm »
Does Frank Lampard hit a mean penalty? He's got that look about his game.

You wouldnt like to get in the way of one of his shots! Way he hits a ball i think the keeper would be in the back of the net with it.

Mirra, 7777 wake up the thread needs you!

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2004, 02:40:44 pm »

You wouldnt like to get in the way of one of his shots! Way he hits a ball i think the keeper would be in the back of the net with it.

Same can be said of Stevie and he has missed a couple.

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2004, 04:01:26 pm »
I don't think you can blame one individual for what happened last night (apart from Eriksson). But collectively we just weren't proffesional at the end. So whilst I won't single out James for criticism last night, its true to say he's not of the standard required at international level. Unfortunately neither is anyone else at the moment

Offline Liverpoolian

• Kopite
  • There is only one team
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2004, 04:20:55 pm »

He could! It would have resulted in an indirect freekick! ;)

France should have been out of the game. Why wasn't Silvestre sent off?

agree, James could have done something about the kick because it wasn't out of his reach when the ball flew by the wall.

Silvestre should have been off being the last man in defence

Offline Nebular

• Anny Roader
  • Catherine Deneuve. Je t'aime..
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2004, 04:22:28 pm »
No need for Heskey to make the tackle that conceded the free kick either.

James is crap. Never moved for the free kick and WHY DID HE TRY AND TACKLE HENRY WITH HIS FEET TO CONCEDE THE PEN!!!!!!

He is a liability - like to see him replaced for Swiss game.
The choice of Mackenzie to present a programme on the life and work of Alfred Harmsworth is as appropriate as if a programme on the life and work of Albert Einstein were presented by a baboon. MAGS
Man U play at OT - which now stands for "ONLY TWO" ( WE'VE WON FIVE BY THE WAY................)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpzTv5fHgn0

Roddysul

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2004, 04:34:06 pm »
Thought it was a red card offence personally  (which would have been interesting with us having used 3 subs already)  as was Silvestre's on fatboy

Pheeny

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2004, 06:25:49 pm »
Just spent this morning explaining to everyone in work why a Welshman is not botherd about England losing!

Bloke

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2004, 06:31:27 pm »
Just spent this morning explaining to everyone in work why a Welshman is not botherd about England losing!
Did you tell them that it's like Belgians not being ecstatic when France wins?   :D

Pheeny

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2004, 06:33:55 pm »

Did you tell them that it's like Belgians not being ecstatic when France wins?   :D
no seeing as most are Turks or Italians  :P

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2004, 06:53:53 pm »
The freekick was unstoppable. As a keeper, you cover one side of the goal and let the wall deal with the other - basically, you tell the taker "if you can put it in the top corner, fair play". And Zidane did. James had to set the wall up that way, and wouldn't have seen it until it came over the wall and dipped, and then it's too late. If James covered that side of the goal, the other side would have been totally open.

Meanwhile, the other goal (as it also pains me to say) was Stevie G's fault - but he doesn't make many mistakes. James had to try to beat Henry to the ball, as if Henry gets there first, he walks round you. James was a split-second too late.

Jamo is a far better keeper these days, and people need to recognise that. He will always drop crosses, but at least he is bold; unlike Westerweld, who was indicisive. James' problem was always poor decision making, but he's better. Still, Kirkland should overtake him soon (if he stays fit).

Offline AdamS

• Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2004, 07:38:33 pm »
The freekick was unstoppable. As a keeper, you cover one side of the goal and let the wall deal with the other - basically, you tell the taker "if you can put it in the top corner, fair play". And Zidane did.
That's wrong paul because James was edging to cover behind the wall. As I said (on another thread I think), this is a trait lots of keepers have, Real Madrid have exploited this a number of times this season.

They were just showing it again on ITV and Beckham was screaming at Cole to get on the post, but James was screaming at him to stay where he was an mark. It made James look very silly!

Offline Life

• goes on.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2004, 09:30:37 pm »
Paul - I think you've got the right reasons, but the wrong answer.

James set his wall up to cover his left-hand post.  He then stood in the middle of the goal behind the wall and waited to see which side the ball was aiming for before attempting to save.  This is flawed in a few ways:
1.  The whole point of a wall is to protect one side of the goal, leaving the keeper to concentrate on the other.
2.  You can't see the ball until it's too late if it's hit hard.
3.  You're giving a clear view to the striker of the right-hand post.

James was at fault for that free-kick.  Most keepers would have been situated as in Fig 1.

Fig 1.
               ------------------               - goal
                    x                               - keeper
                             YYYYYYY           - wall

z                 - french bastard

If he gets it over the wall and back down again THEN it's unstoppable.  But that's the hard thing, as it was James left Zidane with an easy shot straight at his right-hand corner.
"Why should they be used in any other way? It wouldn'a be fair for one thing. Natural ability is far too precious tae be messed about wi'."

Offline Ian-TN

• The slightly shop spoiled Jon Hall
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2004, 10:21:12 pm »
Why wasn't Silvestre sent off?

Cos he wasn't the last man.
To an interpreter, regarding excited Italian journalists:
'Just tell them I completely disagree with everything they say.'

Offline Millsee

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2004, 10:22:34 pm »
General Footy board and merged with the fucking COUNTLESS threads in there.

:wave

Bloke

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2004, 03:46:04 am »
Put it at 1/8 speed, choose the angle, and draw your conclusions:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/virtualreplay/euro2004/index.shtml?04039

I agree with Life, James should have been standing on the right to cover; the ball was still well struck by Zidane.

(Sorry Millsee, not wanting to contradict you but felt like adding the link to this particular topic  :))

« Last Edit: June 15, 2004, 03:49:06 am by Bloke »

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2004, 06:29:11 am »

Message boards everywhere! Where exactly? Been around a few and can't see Liverpool getting slaughtered at all.

Not that I really give a shit about the England football team, Liverpool FC comes first. But I like a good argument, so don't mind defending the lads (thank fuc Heskey's gone as he has no defence).

Offline Life

• goes on.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2004, 07:35:43 am »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/virtualreplay/euro2004/index.shtml?04039

Looking at that it's even more obvious.  That was the kind of free-kick that should have been caught, never mind saved.  It was at waist height when it went in, about a yard inside the post.  If Cole had have been left on the post as well, it would have hit him in the balls.
"Why should they be used in any other way? It wouldn'a be fair for one thing. Natural ability is far too precious tae be messed about wi'."

Offline AdamS

• Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2004, 08:38:40 am »

Cos he wasn't the last man.
He was except the keeper and so did deny a goal-scoring opportunity!

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2004, 11:08:51 am »

Not bothered? Surely, you should be like the bitter scots and delighted at the result or is welsh fury being reserved for russia in this tournament?

Offline Ian-TN

• The slightly shop spoiled Jon Hall
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2004, 11:25:40 pm »
He was except the keeper and so did deny a goal-scoring opportunity!

He wouldn't have got his shot off before the fella was round to block, or deflect it.
To an interpreter, regarding excited Italian journalists:
'Just tell them I completely disagree with everything they say.'

Offline AdamS

• Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2004, 08:23:53 am »

He wouldn't have got his shot off before the fella was round to block, or deflect it.
Bollocks ;D

Offline Roger

• The Derek Acorah of RAWK & Welsh News Correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2004, 08:36:38 am »
Article in the paper today suggests the technical video the FA prepared to gen the squad up about France (footage of their last 7 matches) did not include footage of Zidane taking free kicks.

but there was no footage of any of Zidane's free kicks in it. I'll have to have a word with my mate who put that one together
- David James

Also amusing to read that the Uefa technical committee member responsible for writing the official report on the England v France match is.........Gerard Houllier.

::)

Offline Liverpoolian

• Kopite
  • There is only one team
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2004, 11:44:00 am »

I wonder why Rooney didn't pass to Vassell who was unmarked and onside  ???

Offline HistoryGirl

• Anny Roader
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
    • Twitter Account
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2004, 09:26:39 pm »
Chris Kirkland is the future

absolutely and he would be that squad instead of IAN WALKER?? (why?)  if he hasn;t got injured AGAIN lets hope he has a good season and next year and remains injury free.
YNWA... You'll Never Walk Alone
Justice for the 96

My twitter account: http://twitter.com/#!/historygirllfc

Offline Wendi

• Kopite
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2004, 06:14:21 pm »
An accident waiting to happen.  Theres a real howler just round the corner.
Sack Parry.