Author Topic: Trent Alexander-Arnold  (Read 1390545 times)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Trent Alexander-Arnold
« Reply #1240 on: February 8, 2018, 06:10:50 pm »
Totally - he has some exciting qualities for sure.
I think what happens is people forget how unlikely it is that a 18/19 year old becomes good enough to play for a top 4 side.
I hope he makes it, he's got a lot of talent, great story as I said

Hopefully he keeps progressing. Every year since he has come through he has gotten better. At this moment I would be more concerned with Woodburn making it than Trent.
« Last Edit: February 8, 2018, 06:13:42 pm by a treeless whopper »

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1241 on: February 8, 2018, 07:43:56 pm »
Jack - just to turn what you said slightly - it's unlikely that an 18/19 year old even gets regular starts for top 4 clubs these days. As top level football demands more and more physically it pushes the peak of footballers to a 24-28 sort of band. Teenagers can't compete in the same way they might have done when say Owen and Fowler came through in the 90s. To me it's a great sign for Trent that he is getting regular starts despite footballers his age being trusted less and less at this level.

Offline nayia2002

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • http://www.victoriacreperie.co.uk/
« Reply #1242 on: February 8, 2018, 07:53:03 pm »
He's been impressive this season.
Long it may continue.
who are you to judge the life i live?
i know im not perfect-and i dont live to be,
but before you start pointing fingers make
sure your hands are clean!.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1243 on: February 8, 2018, 11:22:04 pm »
Jack - just to turn what you said slightly - it's unlikely that an 18/19 year old even gets regular starts for top 4 clubs these days. As top level football demands more and more physically it pushes the peak of footballers to a 24-28 sort of band. Teenagers can't compete in the same way they might have done when say Owen and Fowler came through in the 90s. To me it's a great sign for Trent that he is getting regular starts despite footballers his age being trusted less and less at this level.

As an athlete he’s an incredible specimen, will be just about unstoppable in a few years once he fills out a bit

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #1244 on: February 8, 2018, 11:50:26 pm »
Hopefully he keeps progressing. Every year since he has come through he has gotten better. At this moment I would be more concerned with Woodburn making it than Trent.

Way more. Trent has made it. He's played most of a season for us. The test for him is to kick on and play a second and then a third season for us.

That's not to say Ben won't make it. It's very early days, but one has made it and the other hasn't (yet).

I don't see the urge to turn him into a midfielder. His defensive abilities are/will be fine in the context of what a modern fullback is expected to do.

If we can't make use of a super athlete with literally the best cross in the team as a fullback, we are doing something seriously wrong.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1245 on: February 9, 2018, 12:15:24 am »
Something tells me Trent is soon going to be our first choice right back. He had a brilliant game against Spurs. Feels so great to have a young scouser in the team with truly world class potential.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #1246 on: February 9, 2018, 12:56:02 am »

Yeah yeah I totally agree
There's 2 different things 1) is he on course to be a very good player? - yeah he is - getting minutes in a top 4 team at his age is super rare 2) is he at the level today where he be playing significant right back minutes for us in big games this season - probably not

(shout out to the post above mine that said he played brilliantly against Spurs..... amazing anyone could watch that second half and think that.. people watching football is weird)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1247 on: February 9, 2018, 01:02:00 am »
There's 2 different things 1) is he on course to be a very good player? - yeah he is - getting minutes in a top 4 team at his age is super rare 2) is he at the level today where he be playing significant right back minutes for us in big games this season - probably not

(shout out to the post above mine that said he played brilliantly against Spurs..... amazing anyone could watch that second half and think that.. people watching football is weird)

I think you can seperate the two. Did Liverpool’s right back have a good game? Probably not. Did Trent illustrate some the things you want to see that make you believe he will be a really good footballer for us? Absolutely.

Its so rare to see youngsters demonstrate that ability in the final third from passing/crossing and dribbling, let alone both.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #1248 on: February 9, 2018, 12:08:33 pm »

I kinda agree.

However, the solutions to that problem is where it gets interesting. He is likely only reaching that level you talk about in #2 by playing. And if we cherry pick easier games for him, that likely won't cut it. And sending him out on loan could end up completely derailing the progress he is making as he could end up benched, having a manager play him in another position, have him play in a wildly different tactical system which teaches him little that translates to playing for us, etc.

So I do think we need to just eat those moments. As we are seeing clear and rapid progression. Once more it is a long term approach by Klopp of overlooking short term problems for long term gains.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1249 on: February 9, 2018, 12:50:30 pm »
I kinda agree.

However, the solutions to that problem is where it gets interesting. He is likely only reaching that level you talk about in #2 by playing. And if we cherry pick easier games for him, that likely won't cut it. And sending him out on loan could end up completely derailing the progress he is making as he could end up benched, having a manager play him in another position, have him play in a wildly different tactical system which teaches him little that translates to playing for us, etc.

So I do think we need to just eat those moments. As we are seeing clear and rapid progression. Once more it is a long term approach by Klopp of overlooking short term problems for long term gains.

Players like Trent need minutes on the pitch, and competition with other great players. He'll learn something from going on loan but it would be pointless because he can learn more by playing games for us and competing for a starting spot from this age itself.

He's going to finish with approximately 20-25 appearances this season, maybe a bit more than that. That is good going for a teenager. His goal should really be a 2-3 year plan of getting in the best possible physical and mental condition, improving his tactical ability and defensive understanding and looking to establish himself as a regular starter over a 2-3 season period. He's not quite at that level for us yet I don't think, but he isn't far away at all.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #1250 on: February 14, 2018, 11:27:04 pm »
Thought he was brilliant tonight. Dealt with their pacey winger expertly and his anticipation when they got into creative areas helped start a couple of counters.

A better cross and he could have had a header at goal in the second half too.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #1251 on: February 14, 2018, 11:40:36 pm »
I think he could become the next Aurelio (on the rightj. Calm and composed on the ball with a heck of a cross. Plus Trent takes a great freekick and corner.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #1252 on: February 15, 2018, 12:00:56 am »
Some were on here writing the lad off a few games ago.

He's made them look very fucking daft.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #1253 on: February 15, 2018, 12:19:42 am »
I think he could become the next Aurelio (on the rightj. Calm and composed on the ball with a heck of a cross. Plus Trent takes a great freekick and corner.
I can just imagine Trent doing this in a year or two:

« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 12:22:43 am by farawayred »
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's attached to your rod Motherlicker
« Reply #1254 on: February 15, 2018, 12:59:23 am »
Hope he stays first choice now, should be ahead of Gomez. Great again tonight.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #1255 on: February 15, 2018, 01:16:20 am »
I rate Gomez, but Trent has made less mistakes and gives a lot more going forward. Should be first choice and left to compete with Clyne when he is fit.

Gomez should take over from Klavan as 4th choice CB I think.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #1256 on: February 15, 2018, 01:18:48 am »
Class in a glass and only 19. Fucking hell........
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1257 on: February 15, 2018, 01:43:08 am »
I can just imagine Trent doing this in a year or two:

This sums up tonight for me. I love the aurelio gif, I fucking loved Fabio when fit, we were a dangerous team in the CL back when Aurelio was whipping in beautifully flighted crosses and we are now, with a 19 year old local kid oozing class at RB.  His crosses have curve like danielle herrington. He's intelligent and is highly comfortable cutting inside.  I'm all over the shop.  Maybe he and Robertson and I could get an apartment together.

Happy Clyne is back, he's got a fight on his hands
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 01:45:19 am by mallin9 »
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #1258 on: February 15, 2018, 02:07:51 am »
I still believe he'll end up playing in the midfield, rather than right back.
Far more of an attacking player, with a great engine, good vision, and the balls to go for difficult passes.
He would do well playing as one of the three midfielders, in a few years time.

In the meantime, between Gomez and himself, and Clyne still to return, our right back position is sorted with some fantastic competition.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1259 on: February 15, 2018, 10:48:29 am »
He could end up in midfield, but on the other hand he's got pretty much exactly what I'd want from a fullback. Pace, stamina, an excellent cross, good on the ball, and despite being only 19 still a decent to sometimes very good defender. Obviously he makes mistakes, and struggles with consistency, but I think he's got exactly the right qualities to develop into a top fullback.

I prefer the Brazilian school of fullbacks though, especially in an attacking team like ours. At least one of the fullback should go forward and support the attack as often as possible.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1260 on: February 15, 2018, 10:55:26 am »
Think he's great. He's 19.

I still think when all 100% fit Clyne is overall our best RB. But not by much and Gomez and TAA have been really impressive. Think Gomez will eventually be a CB and can see TAA playing RB or RM
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1261 on: February 15, 2018, 10:55:27 am »
Some were on here writing the lad off a few games ago.

He's made them look very fucking daft.
Some were? Shameful. Our youngsters get pigeon holed far too quickly.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #1262 on: February 15, 2018, 11:40:53 am »
Some were? Shameful. Our youngsters get pigeon holed far too quickly.

Yes mate sadly.

For example...

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=339119.msg15843762#msg15843762

"Can, Wijnaldum, AAT, Mignolet, Moreno =  not good enough for LFC"

::)

It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #1263 on: February 15, 2018, 11:43:27 am »
Yes mate sadly.

For example...

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=339119.msg15843762#msg15843762

Trent going backwards there..no wonder!  :D
He has all the characteristics of a fine player has our TAA by the way.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1264 on: February 15, 2018, 01:00:20 pm »
Yes mate sadly.

For example...

Nothing like knee jerk reaction at it's finest.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1265 on: February 16, 2018, 01:48:02 pm »
Think he's great. He's 19.

I still think when all 100% fit Clyne is overall our best RB. But not by much and Gomez and TAA have been really impressive. Think Gomez will eventually be a CB and can see TAA playing RB or RM

19..let me repeat 19 years old.

playing RB. in a CL knock out phase.

dealt with brahimi brilliantly.

i still think that his defending has a lot to be improved upon and Joe Gomez is more defensively solid but AA does offer more attacking wise.

With International superstar, Clyne, back in full training, not really sure where he is going to get game time.

Offline rastaferio

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1266 on: February 16, 2018, 02:43:17 pm »
19..let me repeat 19 years old.

playing RB. in a CL knock out phase.

dealt with brahimi brilliantly.

i still think that his defending has a lot to be improved upon and Joe Gomez is more defensively solid but AA does offer more attacking wise.

With International superstar, Clyne, back in full training, not really sure where he is going to get game time.

I can't imagine that Clyne will be fully fit for some time. He hasn't trained or played all season.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1267 on: February 16, 2018, 02:59:25 pm »

Not totally sure actually, Gomez seems to make a lot of big mistakes despite being a lot less adventurous in attack.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1268 on: February 16, 2018, 03:04:46 pm »
Clyne wont be match fit until April more than likely so cant see him getting too many starts this season considering how well TAA and Gomez have done. Trent is a tremendous prospect who could be ideal as a wingback if we ever go with 3 center backs as his eye for a pass is better than most as he has threaded some lovely balls over the opposition. Who knows what his future holds as he could be our back up to the holding midfielder slot in time as he obviously knows how the defence works and array of passes we have seen could be ideal for that slot. Still cannot see him in midfield for another couple of years as has a lot to learn but himself & Gomez surely are up for Young Player of the Year.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #1269 on: February 16, 2018, 04:01:23 pm »
Super quick and extremely agile - and with those two things comes his astonishing recovery pace. There were a couple of times in the first half where he seemed to have sold himself with a tackle only to regain speed and adjust direction instantly and then choke off his man. A brilliant prospect.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #1270 on: February 16, 2018, 04:23:53 pm »
I know this is a TAA thread but you’d like to think that both he and Gomez if they keep developing as they have been will become mainstays of our defence for the next 10 yrs. Of course they make mistakes at their age, they’re still learning and the one of the best ways to do that is through consistent exposure to the types of players and teams they are up against week in week out now.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1271 on: February 16, 2018, 06:11:03 pm »
what a great lad. can't wait til he just starts wearing "TRENT" on his jersey

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #1272 on: February 16, 2018, 07:06:29 pm »
what a great lad. can't wait til he just starts wearing "TRENT" on his jersey

I can see the headline now when we next play Forest. 'Trent Runs Through Nottingham'.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #1273 on: February 16, 2018, 07:11:27 pm »
I can't imagine that Clyne will be fully fit for some time. He hasn't trained or played all season.

And besides, he doesn’t offer the same attacking threat that Trent does. Actually I could see Gomez being bumped to the centre when Clyne is back fully fit.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline DefJack

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1274 on: February 16, 2018, 07:52:50 pm »
I said on here one year ago that he's better on the ball than any RB we've had in the last 10 years. I got soundly told by many I was talking nonsense.

I wonder if people's opinions have changed over the last year?

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #1275 on: February 17, 2018, 03:46:04 pm »
Super quick and extremely agile - and with those two things comes his astonishing recovery pace. There were a couple of times in the first half where he seemed to have sold himself with a tackle only to regain speed and adjust direction instantly and then choke off his man. A brilliant prospect.

Correct. I said a while ago that while he is raw he will make mistakes like any other young lad but his pace will get him out if trouble a lot. And when he matures and stops making those mistakes we will have a gem on our hands.

Offline catinthebag

• Anny Roader
  • perfection is underrated.
« Reply #1276 on: February 17, 2018, 03:49:59 pm »
Frankly I think our front three still has not adjusted to TAA's amazing whipped crosses. Once they do, we're going to see his ability on the ball lead to a lot more assists.
"I want to go back to Liverpool too, but nobody loves me." - Nicolas Anelka gets self-aware on hearing of Robbie's return to Anfield, FFT April '06

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1277 on: March 4, 2018, 02:53:28 am »
How is this thread not a Randy Marsh style mess of euphoria?  Kid is quality, steadier with every game. Some of his recovery tackles today were joyous to behold
You'll Never Walk Alone

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1278 on: March 4, 2018, 03:02:36 am »
absolute specimen
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1279 on: March 4, 2018, 03:14:59 am »
He's really ironed out the mistakes lately and been brilliant supporting the attack. It still feels like he's holding back in attack too, I can see him really doing some damage to teams in a season or two.