Author Topic: The Meh Scottish Football Thread  (Read 374325 times)

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Meh Scottish Football Thread
« Reply #1680 on: May 20, 2018, 09:59:23 pm »
Some rumours from up here that we (Rangers) are close to securing Harry Wilson on loan. Anyone heard anything from a Liverpool perspective?

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1681 on: May 20, 2018, 10:24:51 pm »
Some rumours from up here that we (Rangers) are close to securing Harry Wilson on loan. Anyone heard anything from a Liverpool perspective?

I pray that we don't agree to that. He's already done it at a higher level. From a Rangers perspective you'd be getting one of the best players in that league, don't think Celtic even have anybody as good. Maybe Dembele, but I'm not sold on him. If the refs don't allow career threatening tackles on Wilson he could absolutely destroy that league.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 10:28:13 pm by Gerry Attrick »

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1682 on: May 20, 2018, 10:54:00 pm »
I pray that we don't agree to that. He's already done it at a higher level. From a Rangers perspective you'd be getting one of the best players in that league, don't think Celtic even have anybody as good. Maybe Dembele, but I'm not sold on him. If the refs don't allow career threatening tackles on Wilson he could absolutely destroy that league.

Like i said mate, it's just a strong rumour so far, it's coming from guys who run a blog that tend to get decent info.

I understand your scepticism about him playing up here. It does have some advantages of him playing every week, in front of big demanding crowds and a pressure to win most weeks. Plus Gerrard will always have the boys welfare and Liverpool interests in momd as well.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1683 on: May 21, 2018, 11:19:30 am »
the problem with that is they won’t be competitive in Europe and will likely be done with it by Christmas and then its the likes of Hamilton and st johnstone, at least in England it’s competitive all year round, and I include the championship in that.

Celtic at least in the recent past made an effort to get guys who could end up being quality prem players and it worked pretty well for them (wanyama, vvd) but aside from rogic who’d probably be more Newcastle level now I don’t think there’s been anyone who could be a star player in a prem team that they’ve signed as they had decent success getting guys from smaller clubs in Holland and belgium

I was just going from the concept that if even a bang average Prem player is superior to most of the players plying their trade in Scotland, then from a competitive and silverware winning perspective they're better off in Scotland.  But from a wages and signing on fee perspective it pays far better to be mediocre in England than be a big fish in a small pond in Scotland.

It's true it would only, at best, marginally improve Scotland's competitiveness in Europe; but it might yet raise the overall quality of their domestic game.  As you say though, Celtic have been good at unearthing some real gems, so maybe that's the model the Scottish game should be looking to follow.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1684 on: May 21, 2018, 12:50:30 pm »
I was just going from the concept that if even a bang average Prem player is superior to most of the players plying their trade in Scotland, then from a competitive and silverware winning perspective they're better off in Scotland.  But from a wages and signing on fee perspective it pays far better to be mediocre in England than be a big fish in a small pond in Scotland.

It's true it would only, at best, marginally improve Scotland's competitiveness in Europe; but it might yet raise the overall quality of their domestic game.  As you say though, Celtic have been good at unearthing some real gems, so maybe that's the model the Scottish game should be looking to follow.
id guess a lot of players would find trophy wins at Celtic (domestic ones) as a bit hollow as they’ve got such massive advantages, same for players for PSG and Bayern, as it’s more of an expectancy to win them but if you win the cup like Hibs did a few years ago it’d give you great pleasure and be highly satisfying, but for a Celtic/PSG/Bayern after the first ones it’d be more relief than joy for me

Offline helen the llama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1685 on: May 21, 2018, 01:10:06 pm »
The issue with Scottish football is that we have too many professional/semi-professional clubs. We have the best attendance per capita in either Europe or the World - can't remember which - but it's spread to thin. We have 42 teams in our professional leagues, for a population of 5 million, compared to 92 in England for a population of 60 odd million. No easy way to fix that though.

Is the Pro/Seni Pro counting the lower leagues (Juniors and the leagues below league 2 (Highland/Lowland/Both East of Scotland and South of Scorland Leagues). Also Queens Park may be in the league but they are still Amateur.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1686 on: May 21, 2018, 01:39:05 pm »
id guess a lot of players would find trophy wins at Celtic (domestic ones) as a bit hollow as they’ve got such massive advantages, same for players for PSG and Bayern, as it’s more of an expectancy to win them but if you win the cup like Hibs did a few years ago it’d give you great pleasure and be highly satisfying, but for a Celtic/PSG/Bayern after the first ones it’d be more relief than joy for me

That's true, but then not every average Prem player has to join Celtic either.  Of course the smaller clubs would offer even less money though...
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #1687 on: May 21, 2018, 02:45:22 pm »
The issue with Scottish football is that we have too many professional/semi-professional clubs. We have the best attendance per capita in either Europe or the World - can't remember which - but it's spread to thin. We have 42 teams in our professional leagues, for a population of 5 million, compared to 92 in England for a population of 60 odd million. No easy way to fix that though.
The problem is just that it’s a small country.  If you could magically concentrate all matchgoers into a few decent-sized professional clubs, you’d have a professional league that had a structure along these lines:

• four Old Firm-sized clubs, plus one ‘middle-sized’ club the size of Hearts/Hibs/Aberdeen, or
• Rangers, Celtic plus about eight middle-sized clubs, or
• about a dozen middle-sized clubs.

In any case you’re not going to get something massively different from what there is now.  The tiny clubs - almost the whole lower half of the league is clubs who would be dwarfed by Accrington Stanley - aren’t draining the system at all.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1688 on: May 21, 2018, 02:57:31 pm »
Dundee United made good runs in European competitions in the 80s as well, got to the European Cup semis in 84, lost the tie 3-2 on aggregate[won the first leg 2-0], although there are allegations that Roma bribed the ref in the second leg, reached the UEFA Cup final in 87.
#Sausages

Offline helen the llama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1689 on: May 26, 2018, 12:10:56 pm »
Foundation of Hearts have raised there £3 Million contribution towards the new stand and are now paying off the BidCo (Ann Budge Loan).
Thats over £7million in total in just over 4 years.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1690 on: June 27, 2018, 04:30:04 pm »
Gerrard seems to have been a busy man, signed quite a few:

gk   Allan McGregor

DF   Jon Flanagan
DF   Connor Goldson
DF   Nikola Katić

MF   Ovie Ejaria (loan)
mf    Scott Arfield
mf    Jamie Murphy

Seems to have got the numbers in for his defence and attacking midfield. Arfield and McGregor are known performers, Ejaria has potential, if Flangan can recapture a good level they have a top player (for that league). Goldson and Katic are unknowns (for me) but overall he seems to have gotten in some proven quality for certain positions compared to where the squad was before, fair assessment?

Feels weird saying manager Gerrard but very interested to see how his teams are set-up.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1691 on: June 28, 2018, 08:20:21 am »

gk   Allan McGregor

DF   Jon Flanagan
DF   Connor Goldson
DF   Nikola Katić

MF   Ovie Ejaria (loan)
mf    Scott Arfield
mf    Jamie Murphy

Seems to have got the numbers in for his defence and attacking midfield. Arfield and McGregor are known performers, Ejaria has potential, if Flangan can recapture a good level they have a top player (for that league). Goldson and Katic are unknowns (for me) but overall he seems to have gotten in some proven quality for certain positions compared to where the squad was before, fair assessment?

Feels weird saying manager Gerrard but very interested to see how his teams are set-up.

Looks to have almost secured a young striker from Roma as well, Umar Sadiq.

It's obvious the weakest part of the team was the defence. Think Rangers were top scorers in the division last year, but they let in a lot of goals as well, so it's no surprise to see him concentrating in that area first. Think the big signing there will be Goldson, he was really highly rated by the guys on the Brighton forum, was 1 of their best players in the Championship a couple of years back, but his career got held back due to a heart operation. If he can get back to any sort of form he'll be a very decent defender. Katic is obviously an unknown, but at 21 years old has already won a Croatian cap. Flanagan i know has caused mixed feelings but just looking at the football side of it, if he can get himself fit & keep fit he should add a bit of steel back there.

Hopefully, somehow, Rossiter can get himself fit & stay fit first & foremost. He would be like a new signing if he could. Still think he'll try & get a couple of more in permanently, perhaps once he's cleared more out of the squad.

What about Ejaria, how do you guys see him fitting in?

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #1692 on: June 28, 2018, 08:24:37 am »

They *should* be good enough to take second, even with a fledgling manager.

The only issue would be if Gerrard did a John Barnes, where for some reason he lost the dressing room after blitzing the league in the first 8-10 games.

I`m interested to see what style of play he tries to impose given the variety of managers he has worked under. I`d like think more Klopp than Hodgson  ;D
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1693 on: June 28, 2018, 08:28:08 am »

gk   Allan McGregor

DF   Jon Flanagan
DF   Connor Goldson
DF   Nikola Katić

MF   Ovie Ejaria (loan)
mf    Scott Arfield
mf    Jamie Murphy

If a Championship team was buying those I'd say they're one of the favourites to get relegated. My god, is this a challenge for Gerrard or what. Absolutely no hiding place when your players are that bad.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1694 on: June 28, 2018, 12:03:12 pm »
If a Championship team was buying those I'd say they're one of the favourites to get relegated. My god, is this a challenge for Gerrard or what. Absolutely no hiding place when your players are that bad.

Arfield & Murphy have played a major part in fairly recent promotion winning teams, Goldson was a mainstay of the defence the season before Brighton got promoted, & McGregor played for Hull in the EPL.

We all know about Flanagans history, i know very little about Ejaria though?

You need to remember the opposition as well, it's not like the league is full of stars. Celtic have just taken a right back from Hull on trial who was a good prospect but has hardly played for the past 2 seasons, Moses Odubajo. It's where Scottish Football is at the moment.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1695 on: June 28, 2018, 06:27:24 pm »
Looks to have almost secured a young striker from Roma as well, Umar Sadiq.

It's obvious the weakest part of the team was the defence. Think Rangers were top scorers in the division last year, but they let in a lot of goals as well, so it's no surprise to see him concentrating in that area first. Think the big signing there will be Goldson, he was really highly rated by the guys on the Brighton forum, was 1 of their best players in the Championship a couple of years back, but his career got held back due to a heart operation. If he can get back to any sort of form he'll be a very decent defender. Katic is obviously an unknown, but at 21 years old has already won a Croatian cap. Flanagan i know has caused mixed feelings but just looking at the football side of it, if he can get himself fit & keep fit he should add a bit of steel back there.

Hopefully, somehow, Rossiter can get himself fit & stay fit first & foremost. He would be like a new signing if he could. Still think he'll try & get a couple of more in permanently, perhaps once he's cleared more out of the squad.

What about Ejaria, how do you guys see him fitting in?

Have only seen a handful of his games, so...

Ejaria's strength and bit of speed will be useful in helping him get a foothold in your game, once he's up to speed he's a pretty decent touch player, can link play from defence to attack well, calm. The speed of thought isn't quite there yet to spot opportunities, which is understandable as he hasn't played a proper full season as a pro, perhaps the Rangers loan will be the making of him.

If Gerrard plays 4-3-3 you could see him breaking forward regularly and supplying the final pass. The player sees himself higher up the pitch iirc as a number 10 but he's at the age where he can be moulded into any of those central positions really.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1696 on: July 22, 2018, 11:31:24 pm »
It has actually happened one of the great scores in football, East Fife 4 Forfar 5. :D

Sadly it was on penalties.  ;)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44916496 

#Sausages

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1697 on: July 23, 2018, 01:36:53 am »
Surprised Kent signed with that shower of shit in that awful league, there's no way it will help him kick on or aid his development at all.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #1698 on: July 23, 2018, 11:35:40 am »
Surprised Kent signed with that shower of shit in that awful league, there's no way it will help him kick on or aid his development at all.

Wow. That’s some assumption. You’re gonna look a bit of a buffoon if he does well.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1699 on: July 23, 2018, 11:50:49 am »
Wow. That’s some assumption. You’re gonna look a bit of a buffoon if he does well.
How will I look like a buffoon?, I'm saying it's a shit league because it's a shit league, the low quality of the Scottish league is pretty much a given now

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #1700 on: July 23, 2018, 12:40:17 pm »
I actually think it's a good move for him because it's a poor standard league. and that's not an insult to him as a player by the way! Just that he's struggled with his last 2 loans in far better and stronger leagues, I just think he needs to get back on track by playing loads and gaining confidence by being one of the stand out talents in the matches he plays.

I don't think he's even going to make it at Liverpool, but he clearly a talented lad and can have a nice career regardless of that. And gaining plenty of playing time and hopefully adding more goals and assists to his game will help him with that.

I don't think the club will send any of the youngsters they think stand a chance of making it at the very highest level to that league, and I hope they don't. But for the next level of youngsters, it's not a bad option for a year, so long as they play week in week out. 

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1701 on: July 23, 2018, 01:35:26 pm »
I`d be surprised if Kent isn't a star in Scotland. That probably tells you everything about him and the standard of football.

Get with one of the big two and he could make good money and pave a way to a decent career elsewhere.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #1702 on: July 24, 2018, 03:46:50 pm »
How will I look like a buffoon?, I'm saying it's a shit league because it's a shit league, the low quality of the Scottish league is pretty much a given now

Because you’ve stated that it will ‘not help his development or help him kick on’ as if you know for sure that’s what will happen. I get that you despise ‘the shower of shit’ team he’s gone to but I pretty much agree with the two posters above.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1703 on: July 25, 2018, 09:30:10 pm »

I don’t know about that side but celtics record of players going to England and performing says going to Celtic does players no harm at all.

Now just watch how Odsonne Édouard does at Celtic.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 09:46:19 pm by puroresu_kid »

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #1704 on: July 25, 2018, 10:57:26 pm »
I don’t know about that side but celtics record of players going to England and performing says going to Celtic does players no harm at all.

Now just watch how Odsonne Édouard does at Celtic.

He's a good 'un. Played a good game today. Already seems to be ousting Dembele as the main man up front?
Better looking than Samie.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1705 on: July 25, 2018, 11:56:54 pm »
He's a good 'un. Played a good game today. Already seems to be ousting Dembele as the main man up front?

Very quick feet, pace and a great finisher. Looks a snip

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1706 on: July 26, 2018, 02:19:49 pm »
How come the Aberdeen-Burnley game tonight isn't on tv?

Offline ghirl67

• Legacy Fan
  • "Football without the fans is nothing" -Jock Stein
« Reply #1707 on: July 27, 2018, 06:20:19 pm »
http://www.celticfc.net/news/14666

Full statement regarding reduced allocation for first  rangers game. It is interesting because the design of Parkhead allows reduced allocation much easier than Ibrox does and I don't think Police Scotland are going to be happy.

On actual football matters, we really need a RB, a CB (possibly two) and cover for KT. Middle to front we are ok, but at the back we could do with strengthening.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 06:23:02 pm by ghirl67 »
"I got a bit of a slagging for it! Do people not know I'm a Celtic fan?" Kieran Tierney on asking his parents for a Celtic top for his Christmas (2017)

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1708 on: July 27, 2018, 06:37:11 pm »
http://www.celticfc.net/news/14666

Full statement regarding reduced allocation for first  rangers game. It is interesting because the design of Parkhead allows reduced allocation much easier than Ibrox does and I don't think Police Scotland are going to be happy.

On actual football matters, we really need a RB, a CB (possibly two) and cover for KT. Middle to front we are ok, but at the back we could do with strengthening.

Sounded during the week like Rodgers is out of the loop again on transfers?

If that's true, that's going to be a problem for Celtic if Rodgers gets unhappy with the players brought in.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1709 on: August 10, 2018, 02:55:05 pm »
Lets try to keep this thread about the football with the Gerrard thread locked.

What's the Celtic fans thinking on the apparent spikiness between Brendan & the board? Think there is a cause for concern there?

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1710 on: August 10, 2018, 03:38:09 pm »
Lets try to keep this thread about the football with the Gerrard thread locked.

What's the Celtic fans thinking on the apparent spikiness between Brendan & the board? Think there is a cause for concern there?

He said, hopefully  :nirnir  ;D

Online Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1711 on: August 10, 2018, 03:57:16 pm »
Think Celtic's CL forays the last two seasons under Brendan have brought in over £50 million to the club alone - would have thought the Celtic board would be well aware of that and also well aware of the fact that Rodgers won't be the manager for much longer, especially if he doesn't get properly backed. Are the board waiting to see if Celtic advance into the group stages of the CL before trying to bring in more players?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 03:58:58 pm by Lone Star Red »
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1712 on: August 10, 2018, 03:59:00 pm »
He said, hopefully  :nirnir  ;D

;D

You know what the media are like for making mountains out of molehills, just wondering if that's all it is or if there's genuine concern about it. Certainly the way Brendan is using the media doesn't scream that they are all on the same page.

What about Killie mate, how do you see this season going? Have you still got Jones & Mulumbu?

Offline David in Edinburgh

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Klopp
« Reply #1713 on: August 10, 2018, 05:44:23 pm »
Think Celtic's CL forays the last two seasons under Brendan have brought in over £50 million to the club alone - would have thought the Celtic board would be well aware of that and also well aware of the fact that Rodgers won't be the manager for much longer, especially if he doesn't get properly backed. Are the board waiting to see if Celtic advance into the group stages of the CL before trying to bring in more players?

The infamous biscuit tin is back in play! ;D

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1714 on: August 10, 2018, 06:21:41 pm »
;D

You know what the media are like for making mountains out of molehills, just wondering if that's all it is or if there's genuine concern about it. Certainly the way Brendan is using the media doesn't scream that they are all on the same page.

What about Killie mate, how do you see this season going? Have you still got Jones & Mulumbu?

to be honest i rarely watch the games, but looking up the table is better than looking down!

Jones is still there,  not sure about Mulumbu. I just found out it was the centre-half Boyd who scored on Saturday and not the prodigal son. As long as Clarke stays we'll do well, would be surprised if a struggling championship team doesn't entice him though.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1715 on: August 11, 2018, 12:41:05 am »
to be honest i rarely watch the games, but looking up the table is better than looking down!

Jones is still there,  not sure about Mulumbu. I just found out it was the centre-half Boyd who scored on Saturday and not the prodigal son. As long as Clarke stays we'll do well, would be surprised if a struggling championship team doesn't entice him though.

Big Scott Boyd! Believe it or not, the big man is from the same neck of the woods as me, been out in his company a few times & you won't meet a nicer big fella!

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #1716 on: August 11, 2018, 04:07:37 pm »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1717 on: August 11, 2018, 10:56:00 pm »
Can't see Brendy staying after this season, he's far far to good a coach to be in that shitty league

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1718 on: August 11, 2018, 11:31:59 pm »
Can't see Brendy staying after this season, he's far far to good a coach to be in that shitty league

By the sounds coming from some Celtic sites, he might be gone by January. Sounds like there's an unhappy camp. And the issue again is transfers.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1719 on: August 12, 2018, 09:22:08 am »

Feck sake Flaccid, I never knew you didn't really rate Scottish football, you've never mentioned it.  ;D

Probably the toughest week Brendan has had up there. Big game for him at Athens on Tuesday. Hearts played well & deserved the victory, Celtic look flat & made too many changes.

Gerrard & Rangers at home to St Mirren today.