Author Topic: The Tennis Thread - Sponsored By Melt-downium  (Read 939530 times)

Offline dmorgan

• Started well, turned out a bit meh.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Going, Going....gone.
Re: The Tennis Thread
« Reply #320 on: June 7, 2013, 05:37:23 pm »
Just incredible from these two. Delighted for Rafa but both men showed why they are two of the greatest competitors in history

Offline Sahara

• Kopite
  • 8 Dimensional
« Reply #321 on: June 7, 2013, 05:45:40 pm »
One heck of a comeback from Nadal after being kept out with an injury for nearly a year, it was looking very grim for him, but kudos to him, he was born to compete. Credit to Djokovic for pushing him this far.
★              ★              ★              ★              ★             ★ 

Online TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #322 on: June 7, 2013, 05:47:34 pm »
Awful first set from Tsonga, Ferrer has been solid but hasn't really had to do much other than keep hitting the ball back and wait for Tsonga to make an error.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Online y2w902

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #323 on: June 7, 2013, 06:13:47 pm »
Can't believe I thought that clown could win this match, stupid bet.

Offline Armchair expert

• Almost makes you agree with Gove
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meet the new boss.....same as the old boss
« Reply #324 on: June 7, 2013, 06:26:31 pm »
How can the umpire jump out of his chair and tell where a ball has landed when there is dust and clay all over the line?

Online TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #325 on: June 7, 2013, 06:32:07 pm »
How can the umpire jump out of his chair and tell where a ball has landed when there is dust and clay all over the line?

The ball leaves a mark on the court when it hits (although you often can't see these clearly on television). The controversies this tournament have largely been over the umpire mistakenly making the call off the wrong mark on the court that has been left there from a previous shot.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #326 on: June 7, 2013, 06:36:53 pm »
Nadal is pure sex. What a fucking match that was. Great effort by Djokovic. Vamos Rafa, title 8 coming up!
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline elpistolero7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #327 on: June 7, 2013, 06:38:42 pm »
Also, was having a discussion with a few mates while watching the match, but I don't think Fed was as good as these two(peak) when he was at his peak. Doubt he'd have the number of slams he has if he was in the same generation. Incredible player and guy no doubt, but Djokovic is a fucking freak, and Nadal looking as boss as ever post injury. Incredible sportsmen.

Offline Armchair expert

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #328 on: June 7, 2013, 06:40:35 pm »
The ball leaves a mark on the court when it hits (although you often can't see these clearly on television). The controversies this tournament have largely been over the umpire mistakenly making the call off the wrong mark on the court that has been left there from a previous shot.

I appreciate that but in this day and age why not just have hawkeye?...is it money or just tradition that they want to hold onto?

Online TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #329 on: June 7, 2013, 06:50:02 pm »
I appreciate that but in this day and age why not just have hawkeye?...is it money or just tradition that they want to hold onto?

The argument that they use is Hawk-eye is accurate to within about 3mm (I think) and that therefore in theory an actual ball mark on the court is more accurate. Don't agree with it myself, Hawk-eye is accepted as definitive for all the other slams so I don't see why it shouldn't be used here.

Anyway, Ferrer takes the second set on a tie-break. Tsonga was much better than in the first set but his game is still riddled with unforced errors, he isn't playing anywhere near the level he did against Federer.

Offline Armchair expert

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: June 7, 2013, 06:53:31 pm »
The argument that they use is Hawk-eye is accurate to within about 3mm (I think) and that therefore in theory an actual ball mark on the court is more accurate. Don't agree with it myself, Hawk-eye is accepted as definitive for all the other slams so I don't see why it shouldn't be used here.

Anyway, Ferrer takes the second set on a tie-break. Tsonga was much better than in the first set but his game is still riddled with unforced errors, he isn't playing anywhere near the level he did against Federer.

Ok cheers for that

Offline Armchair expert

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #331 on: June 7, 2013, 07:00:31 pm »
 It's weird but Ferrer has never beaten Federer and yet Tsonga took him apart and has beaten Federer before, and now he's gettin his arse handed to him.
Guess its styles that matter, or maybe Ferrer has an inferiority complex against the really top players.
And yet Nadal will win quite easyish in the final

Offline Anfield Ed

• Middle name "Dick". Wants it hard, wants it fast.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Warrior #224
« Reply #332 on: June 7, 2013, 07:06:09 pm »
Wow I take my hat off to Nadal I thought he'd be too rusty to beat Djokovic but fair play to him he was brilliant.

Online TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #333 on: June 7, 2013, 07:22:06 pm »
Well that was hugely disappointing from Tsonga and a massive anti-climax after the excellent Nadal/Djokovic match from earlier.

Offline Titan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #334 on: June 7, 2013, 07:25:28 pm »
Well done to Ferrer in making his first Grand Slam final.

I can't see past a 3 or 4 set win for Nadal though.

Offline Sahara

• Kopite
  • 8 Dimensional
« Reply #335 on: June 7, 2013, 07:38:55 pm »
Disappointing from the French crowd, little support for Tsonga, was half empty when Tsonga arrived. Wouldn't happen in the other 3 Grand Slams 

Offline The Gigi

• Legacy Fan
  • Where once we watched the King Kenny play
« Reply #336 on: June 7, 2013, 08:15:09 pm »
I was not able to watch the game, but I'm disappointed for Tsonga. I thought he'd do a lot better than that... Ah well, next year maybe.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #337 on: June 7, 2013, 08:17:55 pm »
Also, was having a discussion with a few mates while watching the match, but I don't think Fed was as good as these two(peak) when he was at his peak. Doubt he'd have the number of slams he has if he was in the same generation. Incredible player and guy no doubt, but Djokovic is a fucking freak, and Nadal looking as boss as ever post injury. Incredible sportsmen.

Even when he has not been at his peak, Federer has beaten Djokovic numerous times in the past few years. At his peak he was equal and better. No one can play like Federer.

Memory seems to be a bit short when Federer is involved. Neither djokovic or nadal can dream of having the game Federer has. Lets see if they ever surpass his majors total either.
« Last Edit: June 7, 2013, 08:19:37 pm by killer_heels »

Offline The Gigi

• Legacy Fan
  • Where once we watched the King Kenny play
« Reply #338 on: June 7, 2013, 08:21:15 pm »
Even when he has not been at his peak, Federer has beaten Djokovic numerous times in the past few years. At his peak he was equal and better. No one can play like Federer.

Memory seems to be a bit short when Federer is involved. Neither djokovic or nadal can dream of having the game Federer has. Lets see if they ever surpass his majors total either.
This, Federer at his best was unstoppable. On top of that he is a gentleman both on and off the pitch. My favourite tennis player ever.

Offline LiverpoolForever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exit Calm new single ''The Rapture'' out Feb 18.
« Reply #339 on: June 7, 2013, 08:26:29 pm »

But they all have different games though.Sure , Nadal would love to have bits of Federer's game but im sure Federer wouldnt mind having the fitness and clay court power Nadal and Nole have.

Sampras was fantastic , i bet all 3 of them would love to have his 1st and 2nd serve.

Lets enjoy them all for what they are , this is a special generation for tennis , they all bring so much quality to the table.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #340 on: June 7, 2013, 08:30:39 pm »
But they all have different games though.Sure , Nadal would love to have bits of Federer's game but im sure Federer wouldnt mind having the fitness and clay court power Nadal and Nole have.

Sampras was fantastic , i bet all 3 of them would love to have his 1st and 2nd serve.

Lets enjoy them all for what they are , this is a special generation for tennis , they all bring so much quality to the table.

I do appreciate all of them, but it annoys me when people think Federer isn't or wasn't as good as either Djokovic or Nadal.

Offline elpistolero7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: June 7, 2013, 08:35:43 pm »

That part I fully agree with, Federer's grace and style of play has always stood out, marvelous technique and unparalleled levels of consistency. Just that right now, Nadal/Djokovic have to get through each other/ an ageing Feder whose still quite good to win a title, while lots of Federer's slam victories came against the likes of Roddick, Hewitt and a young, nowhere near as good as he is now Djokovic. He had some great wins against Rafa and a boss Djokovic too. Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way trying to belittle his record or anything, he's an absolute freak of nature for having played so well for so long, just makes me wonder if he'd got to 17 with more serious competition around when he was walking to every title barring the french for a good few years.

Surpassing his total is a Herculean task, even if Nadal takes the title on sunday, there's still 5 more to go to equal Fed's record, which will be difficult considering Djokovic is mental on hard surfaces, although Wimbledon should be very tasty with Fed defending, and both Djokovic and Nadal also very good on the surface.

Also, there's no doubt that Federer is probably the most complete player of the 3, but there are aspect of Nadal's game and fitness that are just surreal, ditto Djokovic. Would have been a real treat to have all 3 playing at their peak at the same time  ;D
« Last Edit: June 7, 2013, 08:46:01 pm by elpistolero7 »

Offline LiverpoolForever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: June 7, 2013, 08:35:55 pm »
I do appreciate all of them, but it annoys me when people think Federer isn't or wasn't as good as either Djokovic or Nadal.

That is their opinion though.

I find tennis fans get attached to players , for me the best player will always be Sampras even though the Slam count says otherwise.

On clay Nadal is better than Federer , but on other surfaces its got to be Fed over Nadal and Djokovic.Its very rare a player has the perfect game for every surface.

To find the perfect player you would need a bit of Fed , Nadal and Djokovic and other players.

Offline LiverpoolForever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: June 7, 2013, 08:49:41 pm »
That part I fully agree with, Federer's grace and style of play has always stood out, marvelous technique and unparalleled levels of consistency. Just that right now, Nadal/Djokovic have to get through each other/ an ageing Feder whose still quite good to win a title, while lots of Federer's slam victories came against the likes of Roddick, Hewitt and a young, nowhere near as good as he is now Djokovic. He had some great wins against Rafa and a boss Djokovic too. Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way trying to belittle his record or anything, he's an absolute freak of nature for having played so well for so long, just makes me wonder if he'd got to 17 with more serious competition around when he was walking to every title barring the french for a good few years.

Surpassing his total is a Herculean task, even if Nadal takes the title on sunday, there's still 5 more to go to equal Fed's record, which will be difficult considering Djokovic is mental on hard surfaces, although Wimbledon should be very tasty with Fed defending, and both Djokovic and Nadal also very good on the surface.

Also, there's no doubt that Federer is probably the most complete player of the 3, but there are aspect of Nadal's game and fitness that are just surreal, ditto Djokovic. Would have been a real treat to have all 3 playing at their peak at the same time  ;D

Thats a great post , agree with all that.

The aspect of Nadal and Djokoic i find incredible is their ability to turn defence into attack.Like today for example , time and again one looked out of the point only to somehow get to the ball miles behind the bassline and a few shots later hit a winner.Quite astonishing.

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #344 on: June 7, 2013, 08:58:59 pm »
Do we think this is the last time Nadal beat Djoko at the French Open? There is something in the air that makes me think this...

Offline elpistolero7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: June 7, 2013, 09:00:01 pm »
Thats a great post , agree with all that.

The aspect of Nadal and Djokoic i find incredible is their ability to turn defence into attack.Like today for example , time and again one looked out of the point only to somehow get to the ball miles behind the bassline and a few shots later hit a winner.Quite astonishing.

The quality of this match was so fucking awesome and wasn't 70% to their best match (my word remember that Australian Open final that lasted almost 6 hours),that was best tennis I've seen, right up there with Nadal Federer at Wimbledon in the dying light.

Agree fully, the way they pull out outrageous shots from nowhere is surreal. Lost point, oh wait, outrageous winner, and it happens so fucking often!

The number of times Nadal wins a point from what is probably a lost cause to basically everyone on tour is astonishing. He'll keep plugging away somehow. After his injuries, it'll be great to see him win his 8th Rolland Garros. Hopefully he can become the first man to 10 titles in a single grand slam, won't that be some feat!

Offline elpistolero7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: June 7, 2013, 09:01:58 pm »
Do we think this is the last time Nadal beat Djoko at the French Open? There is something in the air that makes me think this...

Felt like he's getting closer, like Nadal was to Federer on grass, the year before he lost, he barely held on. Will be a cracking affair next year. For now there's Wimbledon to look forward to in a few weeks. 3 fit and healthy ex champions Rafa Rodger and Novak all very good on the surface (and Murray hopefully) should make for some very nice matches in the final rounds!

Offline LiverpoolForever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: June 7, 2013, 09:02:13 pm »

I dont think so , but i do think Djokovic will win the French at some point.

Nadal is 27 , next year providing he stays fit i think again he will be the man to beat based on his incredible fitness.People said Nadal was finished this year with his knees and he wont be the same player..he has lost just twice this year?

Offline Sahara

• Kopite
  • 8 Dimensional
« Reply #348 on: June 7, 2013, 10:30:38 pm »
Christopher Clarey for the NY Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/08/sports/tennis/nadal-outlasts-djokovic-to-reach-french-open-final.html?pagewanted=1&_r=2&smid=tw-share&

Toni Nadal, Nadal’s uncle and longtime coach, said he would never have imagined then that his nephew could be back in the French Open final.

“I know that this is very, very difficult for us to be here in the final when we have so many problems,” Toni Nadal said.

Asked at one stage if he considered it a miracle, Toni Nadal broke down in tears, halted the interview and retreated down the stairs leading to the main player locker room at Roland Garros.

He said Rafael Nadal had also teared up when they met after the match. “Yes, Rafal was very, very emotional,” Toni Nadal said.

It truly is amazing how far Rafa has come this year. I think the amount he inputs with physio and training is pure dedication and his tolerance for suffering is incredible. Though I wonder how he will go on to cope with playing less games and tournaments whilst taking into account the rankings. I sense Djokovic and Murray Federer can always benefit from this. 

Offline Po The Panda

• Keyboard Narcoleptic. Has Christiano Ronaldo as his profile picture. Stuck with this name. You could call it his legacy.....wants to pop a caps lock in yo ass.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Real Username: LEGACY
« Reply #349 on: June 7, 2013, 10:54:11 pm »
I think  Djokovic did as well as he could against Nadal playing on his favorite surface and he pushed him to the max.

It's very competitive right now with Nadal Murrary  Djokovic and Federer who while past his best is  still capable to do it on grass.

The slams could be shared out just like last year no clear dominant player.

Offline scoobs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #350 on: June 8, 2013, 05:14:49 am »
What a match that was between Nadal and Djokovic. So does Sara Errani get the same amount in prize money as Novak then? :-X

Gutted for Novak. I was hoping, albeit with a little wishful thinking, that he might sweep all 4 slams in the same calender year. I don't think that'll ever happen in this era though with the amount of competition that is around. Oh well hopefully Serena beats Sharapova.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #351 on: June 8, 2013, 09:43:54 am »
Great win for Nadal yesterday. That seeding committee has a lot to answer for making him number 3,  having only lost once at Roland Garros.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #352 on: June 8, 2013, 01:37:57 pm »
scary to think what serena and sharapova are worth between them. they've won £70m between them in prize money without all the endorsements.

can't see anything but serena in straight sets.

Online TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: June 8, 2013, 02:23:21 pm »
Sharapova saves 4 break points to hold serve in the first game of the match. Big hold for her that, she can't fall behind to Williams early on.

Online TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: June 8, 2013, 02:27:12 pm »
Sharapova breaks! She takes a 2-0 lead in the first set, she looks on it today.

Online TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: June 8, 2013, 02:44:42 pm »
Urghh, it was such a promising start from Sharapova, now she finds herself 3-2 down, Williams with a break.

Sharapova was serving at 40-15 for a 3-0 lead as well, since then its all gone to pot.

Online TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: June 8, 2013, 02:59:24 pm »
Sharapova breaks back! 4-4, great first set this.

Offline child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #357 on: June 8, 2013, 03:07:16 pm »
190km/h, that's unreal..
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: June 8, 2013, 03:08:56 pm »
Serena Williams half way to yet another Grand Slam mixed singles title.

Online TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #359 on: June 8, 2013, 03:09:05 pm »
Williams takes the first set 6-4. A lot closer than I suspected it would be at the start but Sharapova will be kicking herself after that.