Author Topic: American Gods  (Read 26183 times)

Offline emrolfc

• Kemlynite
  • i have a good mentality
Re: American Gods
« Reply #160 on: June 20, 2017, 02:11:36 pm »
Great season finale!!! Beautiful show.
What confuses me is that there are only 11 episode listed in total, including the next seson. In can't be right that there's gonna be only 11 episodes right?

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #161 on: June 20, 2017, 02:17:29 pm »
What confuses me is that there are only 11 episode listed in total, including the next seson. In can't be right that there's gonna be only 11 episodes right?

Nah, apparently the end of Season 1 only takes us about 1/5 of the way into the book .... thank jesus(s)

Offline emrolfc

• Kemlynite
« Reply #162 on: June 20, 2017, 02:46:49 pm »
Nah, apparently the end of Season 1 only takes us about 1/5 of the way into the book .... thank jesus(s)
Thought so. It just gave me a little scare seeing it on IMDB. Yes, the Jesuses were great and so was the whole part in Easter's mansion.Really looking forward to season 2.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: June 20, 2017, 02:51:44 pm »
Thought so. It just gave me a little scare seeing it on IMDB. Yes, the Jesuses were great and so was the whole part in Easter's mansion.Really looking forward to season 2.

The part in Easters Mansion was more Alice In Wonderland than any of the Tim Burton films.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #164 on: June 20, 2017, 03:05:31 pm »
It's like that on IMDB because season 2 has been confirmed, but not the number of episodes, so they have season 2 as three episodes. Episodes 1, 2 and 8 to be specific.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline pezzzer

• Kopite
  • Club first country second
« Reply #165 on: June 20, 2017, 03:08:16 pm »
Best show on tv right now, barring maybe BCS.  Brilliant from start to finish.
metallic on psn, cod4 buddies welcome

Offline emrolfc

• Kemlynite
« Reply #166 on: June 20, 2017, 03:20:41 pm »
The part in Easters Mansion was more Alice In Wonderland than any of the Tim Burton films.
Burton must have got something from Neil Gaiman at some point with the Sandman and everything :)
Back on topic,  I find that American Gods is not shying away from bizarreness and graphic stuff in a really nice way.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: June 20, 2017, 08:44:36 pm »
Burton must have got something from Neil Gaiman at some point with the Sandman and everything :)
Back on topic,  I find that American Gods is not shying away from bizarreness and graphic stuff in a really nice way.

It's not shying away from anything. Takes some balls for an American show to depict a breast feeding Mary.

Just come to me. The bloke who played the talking Jesus was the coward from Saving Private Ryan.... doing my head in that.

Offline emrolfc

• Kemlynite
« Reply #168 on: June 20, 2017, 09:12:50 pm »
It's not shying away from anything. Takes some balls for an American show to depict a breast feeding Mary.

Just come to me. The bloke who played the talking Jesus was the coward from Saving Private Ryan.... doing my head in that.
Well, I first thought it was Rollo from Vikings. Anyway, we are 'blessed' to have this show

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #169 on: June 20, 2017, 11:45:42 pm »
It's not shying away from anything.

Will they have the balls to show Muhammad?

Maybe as a ball of light I have a feeling they won't go there.

Just thinking aloud I totally love the show.

But just thought about that when you said what you did.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 11:50:53 pm by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: June 20, 2017, 11:58:38 pm »

But just thought about that and the modern world events.

is he in the book?

If so, I imagine only censorship would stop it. Seems the makers aren't particularly prescious about religion.

Probably not, don't think they cover the major figureheads... or didn't in the 1st series. They were quick to point out Jesus was just the son of a God.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 12:02:56 am by CrasherKid79 »

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: June 21, 2017, 12:52:10 am »
Mo wasn't in the book, but I don't think Jesus was, either.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: June 21, 2017, 08:40:21 am »
Watched the last episode again and it was an excellent finish to a great season.

Infact the best first season of anything I can remember, since I was 25 years late to the Twin Peaks party and watched the first season of that a few years ago.

The amount of things going on in each scene is amazing, and the humour is somewhere between dark and pitch black which is where I like it .... but then they'll throw a bit of slap stick in with Mad Sweeeneys bad luck streak without his lucky coin.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: June 21, 2017, 06:50:27 pm »
I loved the choice of 60's doo whop music throughout. Don't think I've ever watched anything on TV that has looked so good. Budget must have been insane.

Just watched episode 7 and agree,  The soundtrack to this episode was absolutely superb.

Loved how they used Dion's Runaround Sue for the montage of Essie MacGowan going about her wild business in London.

A beautiful episode done extremely well. Wouldn't surprise me if both episodes 4 & 7 will be up for individual TV awards in the future.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: June 21, 2017, 08:07:02 pm »
Just watched episode 7 and agree,  The soundtrack to this episode was absolutely superb.

Loved how they used Dion's Runaround Sue for the montage of Essie MacGowan going about her wild business in London.

A beautiful episode done extremely well. Wouldn't surprise me if both episodes 4 & 7 will be up for individual TV awards in the future.

Too right. To think before this I only knew Emily Browning as  Babydoll from Sucker Punch. If you'd asked last week I'd have guessed she couldn't act for shit !  :-[

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #175 on: June 22, 2017, 11:21:56 pm »
Too right. To think before this I only knew Emily Browning as  Babydoll from Sucker Punch. If you'd asked last week I'd have guessed she couldn't act for shit !  :-[

She was in that Legend Kray film too

What a wonderful episode

I love the guy who plays the Leprechaun who was in the Wire, very convincing accent for a yank

What a fucking awesome programme

Shame series 2 will be a while off
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: June 22, 2017, 11:42:07 pm »

What a wonderful episode

I love the guy who plays the Leprechaun who was in the Wire, very convincing accent for a yank

Yup she was, forgot about that.

I also always forget Mad Sweeney was Nick Sobotka in The Wire.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #177 on: June 23, 2017, 12:50:37 am »

But just thought about that when you said what you did.

But saying that they did touch on those type of things with her seeing her temple being destroyed by ISIS on the TV.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: June 23, 2017, 08:42:25 am »

What a wonderful episode

The Leprechaun is Liev Schreiber's baby brother! I thought he was great the whole way through.

Crazy ending. I guessed Wednesday was who he was after the first episode, but it was a cool reveal.

I'm interested to see if any Roman or Greek gods show up, beyond Vulcan.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: June 23, 2017, 10:08:25 am »
The Leprechaun is Liev Schreiber's baby brother! I thought he was great the whole way through.

Crazy ending. I guessed Wednesday was who he was after the first episode, but it was a cool reveal.

I'm interested to see if any Roman or Greek gods show up, beyond Vulcan.

Ahhh of course, should have guessed with the surname he was Ray Donovan's brother. Surely a better Boondock Saints type film will be made with those 2 in?

Spoiler
My first guess was Wednesday was Lucifer, but then as the series went with his constant rounding up of troops my second guess would have been God of War .... I must admit the name Odin didn't spring to mind but when he said it I recognised it.... bit rusty on the old Norse Gods there
[close]

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #180 on: June 23, 2017, 11:44:49 am »
Ahhh of course, should have guessed with the surname he was Ray Donovan's brother. Surely a better Boondock Saints type film will be made with those 2 in?

Spoiler
My first guess was Wednesday was Lucifer, but then as the series went with his constant rounding up of troops my second guess would have been God of War .... I must admit the name Odin didn't spring to mind but when he said it I recognised it.... bit rusty on the old Norse Gods there
[close]
Odin = Wodin = Wednesday.
Thor = Thursday. I originally thought the Czernobog was Thor, So I wonder if he will make an appearance.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: June 23, 2017, 07:37:14 pm »
Just watched the finale. If I thought the first 7 episodes were confusing then episode 8 was a total mind fuck

Didn't realise the identity of Wednesday was a big secret.  The cast list on Wiki listed from the start had  him listed as:

Spoiler
Mr Wednesday/Odin
[close]

Wish i hadn't gone on there now but i wanted to actors names and stuff.

Think I'm going to need to read a recap from Den of Geek etc as I am mightily confused to be honest.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: June 23, 2017, 07:51:50 pm »
Just watched the finale. If I thought the first 7 episodes were confusing then episode 8 was a total mind fuck

Didn't realise the identity of Wednesday was a big secret.  The cast list on Wiki listed from the start had  him listed as:

Spoiler
Mr Wednesday/Odin
[close]

Think I'm going to need to read a recap from Den of Geek etc as I am mightily confused to be honest.

Wikis lethal for spoilers before watching something. Good old IMDB is my first port of call.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: June 24, 2017, 08:23:44 am »

Spoiler
Mr Wednesday/Odin
[close]

You can always post questions in here, that way nobody will spoil any future developments for you?

Even imdb can inadvertently spoil things. I had a major death in Dexter spoiled by seeing the number of episodes the actor was credited in. My own fault for looking him up.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: June 24, 2017, 11:55:59 am »

No doubt they probably wouldn't because it would be more hassle than it's worth, but Mo just doesn't fit into our (or American) popular culture and imagination the way that Jesus does.
Spoiler
Jesus and Easter is an obvious thing for the show. Maybe there's other religions equivalent but no-one would get it, and this show is about America after all.
[close]
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 11:58:24 am by Bakez0151 »

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #185 on: June 24, 2017, 01:27:44 pm »
No doubt they probably wouldn't because it would be more hassle than it's worth, but Mo just doesn't fit into our (or American) popular culture and imagination the way that Jesus does.
Spoiler
Jesus and Easter is an obvious thing for the show. Maybe there's other religions equivalent but no-one would get it, and this show is about America after all.
[close]

I imagine the loons would equally be out in full force if they don't have him i.e. "They ridiculed Jesus but not 'Muhammad'"
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline CrasherKid79

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: June 24, 2017, 01:49:09 pm »
I imagine the loons would equally be out in full force if they don't have him i.e. "They ridiculed Jesus but not 'Muhammad'"

I'm sure the Westboro Baptist Church types are up in arms about the Jesus(s)

Nobody pays them any attention though, just sad attention seekers.

Personally, I saw it as a gentle poke at some followers rather than ridiculing Jesus.

The likes of South Park and Family Guy have done far more offensive portraits over the years under the safety of them being cartoons.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 01:57:22 pm by CrasherKid79 »

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #187 on: January 24, 2018, 12:19:11 pm »
The bad news is that Green & Fuller are no longer going to be the show runners. Starz/Freemantle are playing down reports of a rift (rumours G&F wanted a bigger budget), and there's a carrot that G&F will have some role, but any uncertainty is going to at best delay Series 2. Gillian Anderson has already said she likely won't reprise her role without Fuller's involvement (the nature of her character means they could replace her without it jarring too much).

Gaiman is going to have a bigger role, apparently. And the main characters are all signed up. Can't see the next series being aired in 2018, though. Frustrating because, if it continues to follow the book as closely, it just gets madder.

Spoiler
I've read articles from before series 1 aired, that say a whole series will cover the Lakeside story; I really hope not, as it's a relatively quiet period of the book (not unwelcome!) and they'd really have to pad it out a lot to fill a series. Could cover it in 2+1 episodes IMO. But as long as they do get to the end of the book, I'll be happy
[close]
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: January 24, 2018, 12:35:51 pm »
Anderson could be replaced, but I hope not, she was fantastic in this, and you could tell she loved the role.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: February 8, 2018, 12:01:06 pm »
They have a new showrunner, and he seems like a good fit.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/american-gods-hires-new-showrunner-season-2-1080813?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=THR%20Breaking%20News_2018-02-02%2014:15:00_lgoldberg&utm_term=hollywoodreporter_breakingnews

That's good news - and I'm pleased to hear that, after Green/Fuller planned to take the series even further from the book (as a fan of the book, some of the deviation jarred with me), Gaiman looks like he'll have more control and he wants to keep the series more faithful to the book (which IMO will be a positive)
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: January 21, 2019, 03:25:29 pm »

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: January 23, 2019, 02:01:54 pm »
That's good news - and I'm pleased to hear that, after Green/Fuller planned to take the series even further from the book (as a fan of the book, some of the deviation jarred with me), Gaiman looks like he'll have more control and he wants to keep the series more faithful to the book (which IMO will be a positive)

Well, that showrunner - Jesse Alexander - got canned in September, with the role taken on by the producing director and line producer at Freemantle, who've been frantically re-shooting scenes.

Alexander was Gaiman's choice, and was reportedly taking the show back in a more conventional, book-orientated way, but some key actors reportedly had issues with the writing and dialogue, and Starz demanded a feel more like S1. I've read reports that several 'season finale' scripts by Alexander were binned before he was.

So it's somewhat a miracle that Series 2 is out on 19th March.

Whether it's as hypnotisingly excellent as series 1, or a complete dog's breakfast, remains to be seen. I just hope they finish the story and don't can it after S2.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #193 on: January 25, 2019, 09:22:56 am »
Watched the first episode of this last night. Not sure how I missed it when it came out as the premise sounds right up my street. Ordered the book to come today so is it worth holding off on the rest of the series and reading the book first?

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: January 25, 2019, 04:06:24 pm »
Watched the first episode of this last night. Not sure how I missed it when it came out as the premise sounds right up my street. Ordered the book to come today so is it worth holding off on the rest of the series and reading the book first?

I read the book a few years ago, and again not that long after (because I loved the book).

On the one hand, the book allows you to watch the TV series without thinking 'WTF is going on?'. Yet I found some parts that deviated quite a way from the book to be annoying.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: January 25, 2019, 05:24:02 pm »
I just got American Gods: The Tenth Anniversary Edition (A Full Cast Production) off Audble free trial,cancelled straight away and they then offer you another free book,you then cancel again and get 2 books.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #196 on: March 18, 2019, 03:04:54 am »
What are folk making of the new series insofar?

Spoiler

I think you can see that there have been troubles backstage. Also, they've took a massive slice out of Terminator's 'talk while you drive' concept. I'm going give this a few more episodes and if it doesn't pick up, I'm gonna bin it and see how it pans out before watching on. 

[close]
Continually on 11,420.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: March 19, 2019, 11:10:28 am »
I just finished season one and I can't understand why they've given Laura such a huge role in this. She was annoying in the book and unbeareable in the series.
It's a difficult story to pull off on screen and I think they did a good job in season one.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: March 31, 2022, 03:58:42 pm »
I drifted off watching this about two-thirds through s2 with a view to coming back to it, but never got round to it. Now I find out s3 ran last year then Starz cancelled the whole thing.

No point catching up now, I guess  :-\

Does illustrate perfectly that trying to stretch a book/story out to fill a prolonged run of seasons just alienates fans of the book who get sick of the superfluous storylines & characters, whilst turning off viewers who get bored with it dragging on and on.

3 seasons max would have served the story better. But it's far from alone in this crime. And it fucks me off when these kind of shows get cancelled without finishing.

One of my favourite ever books, and the story is generally well-paced (barring the bit of a lull when he's in Lakeside)