Author Topic: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World *  (Read 2929952 times)

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World *
« Reply #28960 on: April 8, 2024, 11:08:30 am »
Wind your fucking head in, him fasting has nothing to do with the performances.

There's scientific research showing it does affect performance. Here's one specific to football:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2465333/

Performance declined significantly (p<0.05) for speed, agility, dribbling speed and endurance, and most stayed low after the conclusion of Ramadan. Nearly 70% of the players thought that their training and performance were adversely affected during the fast.

It's hardly ludicrous to suggest that Athletes who aren't getting optimum hydration or nutrition could very easily see their performance dip. And it's not just food and drink, sleep patterns are affected during Ramedan.
« Last Edit: April 8, 2024, 11:12:50 am by thejbs »

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #28961 on: April 8, 2024, 11:10:02 am »
Yeah, this.

I am not a Muslim, my best mate who supports Liverpool is by coincidence. Anyway, it is Mo's belief and we must respect it.

Sure, but respecting his beliefs doesn't mean that fasting therefore has no effect on his performances.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #28962 on: April 8, 2024, 11:10:24 am »
There's scientific research showing it does affect performance. Here's one specific to football:

It's hardly ludicrous to suggest that Athletes who aren't getting optimum hydration or nutrition could very easily see their performance dip.

Perhaps you'd like to explain how it hasn't affected his performance in other years then?
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28963 on: April 8, 2024, 11:12:24 am »
Sure, but respecting his beliefs doesn't mean that fasting therefore has no effect on his performances.

It hasn't affected his performances before and perhaps people should remember he's coming back from an injury and maybe that's the reason he's not quite on it.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28964 on: April 8, 2024, 11:13:23 am »
Perhaps you'd like to explain how it hasn't affected his performance in other years then?

He was younger and wasn't coming back from injury. Nutrition, hydration and rest are especially important as you age and as you recover from injury.
« Last Edit: April 8, 2024, 11:15:01 am by thejbs »

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28965 on: April 8, 2024, 11:14:00 am »
He defo looked gassed at around 60mins.

Offline koptommy93

• Legacy Fan
  • @tharris113
« Reply #28966 on: April 8, 2024, 11:14:21 am »
It hasn't affected his performances before and perhaps people should remember he's coming back from an injury and maybe that's the reason he's not quite on it.
It's likely to impact him more as he ages but it's obviously impossible to prove. I think he just had a shit game yesterday and that's it.
I for one welcome our new insect overloads

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #28967 on: April 8, 2024, 11:15:51 am »
He was younger and wasn't coming back from injury. Nutrition, hydration and rest are especially important as you age and as you recover from injury.

apart from that though...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28968 on: April 8, 2024, 11:17:14 am »

That may well be the explanation.

But, presuming he has fasted before (are you sure that he has?), and presuming that Mo never dipped before during Ramadan, it may also be the effect of fasting on an athlete who is getting older.

It seems to me obvious that in a sport that goes to fairly extreme lengths to control diet and nutrition that a fasting player going without food and water for 7 to 11 hours before a football match will underperform.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #28969 on: April 8, 2024, 11:18:06 am »

It's not affected him before.

Does fasting make you go cross eyed in front of goal?

If anything, coming back from injury, not being as on it as he was, is probably affecting him. Either way, he's missing sitters at the moment, but can anyone honestly say he hasn't been like that during his ENTIRE Liverpool career? Most reds I know would say that yes, legend, but as well as the massive amount of goals he scored, he's also missed sitters every season he's been here, in fact, he can be on his day one of the most frustrating players in the world for it. Scores shed loads, misses as many too. Always has.

But, presuming he has fasted before (are you sure that he has?)

What?? He's 31 mate, you think this is the first year he's done it?
« Last Edit: April 8, 2024, 11:19:50 am by Paul JH »
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline koptommy93

• Legacy Fan
  • @tharris113
« Reply #28970 on: April 8, 2024, 11:18:50 am »
I can't imagine running around that much and not being able to drink. Fuck that.
I for one welcome our new insect overloads

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28971 on: April 8, 2024, 11:20:26 am »
Does fasting make you go cross eyed in front of goal?

I doubt it. But I've never heard that theory before, and certainly would never advance it.

I'm surprised you even asked the question. And it's a pretty disrespectful way of describing Mo's performance yesterday.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28972 on: April 8, 2024, 11:21:25 am »
That may well be the explanation.

But, presuming he has fasted before (are you sure that he has?), and presuming that Mo never dipped before during Ramadan, it may also be the effect of fasting on an athlete who is getting older.

It seems to me obvious that in a sport that goes to fairly extreme lengths to control diet and nutrition that a fasting player going without food and water for 7 to 11 hours before a football match will underperform.

I am sure I read before that he had fasted. The medical team would put him on a special course where he would get extra vitamins.

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28973 on: April 8, 2024, 11:22:22 am »
What?? He's 31 mate, you think this is the first year he's done it?

Some Muslims defer, some are given dispensation. It's possible that Mo has never been as strict about fasting as this year. I'm just exploring possibilities to account for any variance over the seasons he's been here. Calm down.

Offline Paul JH

• Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #28974 on: April 8, 2024, 11:23:50 am »
Some Muslims defer, some are given dispensation. It's possible that Mo has never been as strict about fasting as this year. I'm just exploring possibilities to account for any variance over the seasons he's been here. Calm down.

I am calm?

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #28975 on: April 8, 2024, 11:25:04 am »
I can't imagine running around that much and not being able to drink. Fuck that.

Surely there are exceptions for that? Is he really not drinking a water during the fast?
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #28976 on: April 8, 2024, 11:25:34 am »

It's hardly ludicrous to suggest that Athletes who aren't getting optimum hydration or nutrition could very easily see their performance dip. And it's not just food and drink, sleep patterns are affected during Ramedan.

Holy fuck - if you click into that study the effects of it are massive in elite sport terms (where 5% is a difference in division you play in) ...look at the effect on heart rate after 12 minutes exercise!! That's just a drop off the performance cliff!
You probably don't need science to tell you it'll have an effect but that is pretty stark

Offline Paul JH

• Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #28977 on: April 8, 2024, 11:25:40 am »
I doubt it. But I've never heard that theory before, and certainly would never advance it.

I'm surprised you even asked the question. And it's a pretty disrespectful way of describing Mo's performance yesterday.

Behave, it was a joke. I'm trying to equate why you'd think fasting would affect his performance and in what way, because Im interested to know as to what he showed yesterday physically and football wise that you can put down to fasting.

Online lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #28978 on: April 8, 2024, 11:26:31 am »

It doesn't matter though, does it? It is his choice and he is doing it, so none of our business. We don't inspect his diet and his gym routine normally so this is the same.

I'm sure he will be wanting to do his best in the remaining games, like the rest of them.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28979 on: April 8, 2024, 11:33:49 am »
It doesn't matter though, does it?

If his performance level goes down because of fasting then I think it does matter. The same would be true of a player who started smoking or drinking too much. In one sense it's also "his choice" and "his own business". But if his stamina decreased as a result, it would surely become a concern for the club too. 

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #28980 on: April 8, 2024, 11:35:18 am »

Ive no idea how Rawkites are privy to Mo's dietary habits but he there were definitely discussions around him fasting in Kiev and in 2021 when we finished 2nd on 94 pts
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28981 on: April 8, 2024, 11:37:03 am »
Surely there are exceptions for that? Is he really not drinking a water during the fast?

No food or water from dawn til dusk.

There are exceptions, usually for those who are ill or pregnant.

Online lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #28982 on: April 8, 2024, 11:38:37 am »
If his performance level goes down because of fasting then I think it does matter. The same would be true of a player who started smoking or drinking too much. In one sense it's also "his choice" and "his own business". But if his stamina decreased as a result, it would surely become a concern for the club too. 

It doesn't matter in the sense that: you can't influence it, anything to do with it will be a private club matter you are not privvy to and discussing it on here will only make you look like a bad actor.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28983 on: April 8, 2024, 11:44:45 am »
It doesn't matter in the sense that: you can't influence it, anything to do with it will be a private club matter you are not privvy to and discussing it on here will only make you look like a bad actor.

I disagree, if a player is choosing to do something that may effect his performance its natural fans will discuss it
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28984 on: April 8, 2024, 11:48:44 am »
Here's me thinking Mo's looked a bit off the pace because he was out injured for 3 months, you live and learn I guess.

Offline Jean Girard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #28985 on: April 8, 2024, 11:49:57 am »
He's come back from his first significant injury in nearly 5 years and to me lacks rhythm and sharpness. He's just not on it at the moment, his decision making is slow and ponderous where he's usually alive - he's bang out of form. But he's still really dangerous in games - just not quite at his best.   

We need to play him back into form - and I have no doubt it'll happen.  Ramadan ends tomorrow, so if the above conjecture is correct Atalanta and Palace are gonna get it.   
And now, the matador shall dance with the blind shoemaker!

Offline Jean Girard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #28986 on: April 8, 2024, 11:50:23 am »
Here's me thinking Mo's looked a bit off the pace because he was out injured for 3 months, you live and learn I guess.

SNAP!
And now, the matador shall dance with the blind shoemaker!

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28987 on: April 8, 2024, 11:52:08 am »

A "bad actor"? Interesting.

I can't influence Darwin Nunez's coolness in the penalty area either, nor am I privy to what he is told by Klopp and the coaching staff, but no one has ever suggested it's not something we should discuss on a discussion forum.

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28988 on: April 8, 2024, 11:54:09 am »
Ive no idea how Rawkites are privy to Mo's dietary habits but he there were definitely discussions around him fasting in Kiev and in 2021 when we finished 2nd on 94 pts

Yes, that sounds vaguely familiar Kenny. But no one knew did they? Wasn't there some speculation that he had sought - and received - permission to 'delay' or 'defer' his fasting?

Offline RedDeadRejection

• Kopite
« Reply #28989 on: April 8, 2024, 11:59:15 am »
This discussion is all very odd.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28990 on: April 8, 2024, 12:03:28 pm »
Yes, that sounds vaguely familiar Kenny. But no one knew did they? Wasn't there some speculation that he had sought - and received - permission to 'delay' or 'defer' his fasting?

I dont remember the rumour he deferred

We didnt know then, however if he is doing it now he probably did back then

am I correct in thinking the evidence he is doing it now the break on Thursday nighty.

I wonder if Ramada is why Konate wasnt picked yesterday?

An article on lfc and fasting
https://www.si.com/fannation/soccer/futbol/news/sadio-mane-on-ramadan-for-muslim-liverpool-players

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28991 on: April 8, 2024, 12:05:35 pm »
This discussion is all very odd.

We had a disappointing result at the weekend scapegoats have to be found.

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #28992 on: April 8, 2024, 12:13:05 pm »
A "bad actor"? Interesting.

I can't influence Darwin Nunez's coolness in the penalty area either, nor am I privy to what he is told by Klopp and the coaching staff, but no one has ever suggested it's not something we should discuss on a discussion forum.

Bad actor is accusing Mo of being a druggie before the season started, which was the rumour some tried to start on here following the end of last season.
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28993 on: April 8, 2024, 12:17:09 pm »
I dont remember the rumour he deferred

We didnt know then, however if he is doing it now he probably did back then

am I correct in thinking the evidence he is doing it now the break on Thursday nighty.

I wonder if Ramada is why Konate wasnt picked yesterday?

An article on lfc and fasting
https://www.si.com/fannation/soccer/futbol/news/sadio-mane-on-ramadan-for-muslim-liverpool-players

The article is interesting because Liverpool apparently changed their training regime to adapt to Ramadan. Afternoon training sessions were made into morning sessions which Sadio Mane was grateful for. He is quoted as saying "If you train around two or three, it's gonna be tough!"

Well, we often play at two or three. And sometimes later.

We had a disappointing result at the weekend scapegoats have to be found.

That's a bit unfair. It's a perfectly legitimate discussion with ramifications for the future.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28994 on: April 8, 2024, 12:21:18 pm »
The article is interesting because Liverpool apparently changed their training regime to adapt to Ramadan. Afternoon training sessions were made into morning sessions which Sadio Mane was grateful for. He is quoted as saying "If you train around two or three, it's gonna be tough!"

Well, we often play at two or three. And sometimes later.

That's a bit unfair. It's a perfectly legitimate discussion with ramifications for the future.

The comments from yesterday have been over the top on Salah there has been all sorts of crazy comments about him, from a number of people. Look further up the thread. It's always the same after a disappointing result. Salah has been scoring and setting up chances and he can't be expected to win it for us in every single game. We need more of the attacking players upping their own totals as well, say nothing of the midfielders.

Offline Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28995 on: April 8, 2024, 02:15:49 pm »
The club got doctors and nutrition specialists who make sure the players at their best physically.
We don't know if he was fasting yesterday as he is allowed not to if the club doctors advised him or he felt it will effect his health.
Even if he was fasting we don't know if it effected his performance that much.
He is a top professional who always made sure to be at the best shape physically for this club.

Some of the comments were embarrassing especially KH post. Questioning his commitment, comparing his fasting to drinking and smoking and mocking his faith.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28996 on: April 8, 2024, 02:22:54 pm »
I can't believe that Mo believes that his new partial fro is working.

Yeah I'm questioning his beliefs. Fight me.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #28997 on: April 8, 2024, 02:31:25 pm »
No food or water from dawn til dusk.

There are exceptions, usually for those who are ill or pregnant.

All you can eat in the evenings, I've had days like that when I've been busy
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #28998 on: April 8, 2024, 02:36:14 pm »
I can't believe that Mo believes that his new partial fro is working.

Yeah I'm questioning his beliefs. Fight me.

Unironically the only bit of worthwhile discussion over the last 3 pages.

I'd happily go back to shaved Mo, feels quicker.
:D

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28999 on: April 8, 2024, 02:48:04 pm »
Unironically the only bit of worthwhile discussion over the last 3 pages.

I'd happily go back to shaved Mo, feels quicker.

There's a study for everything  ;D

https://www.scielo.br/j/rbcdh/a/SCzzHg73dCwsZrzzwqGGLmg/?lang=en#B11
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.