539 (72.8%)
Don't Know
10 (1.4%)
Don't Care
15 (2%)
I don't live in the UK
97 (13.1%)

Total Members Voted: 740

Author Topic: Brexit: "Vultus inanis est et mori in fossa ego sum!"  (Read 1453107 times)

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
Re: Brexit thread with Lefties, Tories, bloods, wastoids, Dweebs & dickheads.....?
« Reply #13480 on: February 6, 2019, 10:29:43 pm »
if marr was competent he’d ask why they stand and take a salary if they don’t intend to ever do the job they’re elected to dod

That's such an easy thing to explain. He'd be incompetent to ask it.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
Re: Brexit thread with Lefties, Tories, bloods, wastoids, Dweebs & dickheads.....?
« Reply #13481 on: February 6, 2019, 10:31:59 pm »
No idea what a close alignment with the single market means unless it means Labour are prepared to drop all our red lines.
What has the UKs rights and protections got to do with the EU after we leave the SM, what are we actually negotiating as these rights can't be enforced by the EU after Brexit, it's one of the biggest reasons the hard right want us out. our rights will be at the mercy of this Tory government.

If you click through to the letter, "shared institutions" can only be done via EEA membership or so similar as to be talking in euphemisms about the same thing. So, yeah, it's tanking May's 'red lines'. We're at the stage where Labour is proposing 'Norway+' by another name as its price for a cross-party consensus.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13482 on: February 6, 2019, 10:35:13 pm »
If you click through to the letter, "shared institutions" can only be done via EEA membership or so similar as to be talking in euphemisms about the same thing. So, yeah, it's tanking May's 'red lines'. We're at the stage where Labour is proposing 'Norway+' by another name as its price for a cross-party consensus.

The Tories would never give up the chance to leave the customs union. Its their main prize.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #13483 on: February 6, 2019, 10:37:23 pm »
They, we, won't get a better chance to create a new social-democratic party. Not unless the FPTP system is changed, which it won't be. There's a huge number of people on the centre-left in the UK who now feel disenfranchised over Brexit. Many would welcome a new political home. The Labour Party, meanwhile, is led by an old Trot of no discernible charisma, who is extremely soft on anti-semitism, with a track record for supporting terrorists, and whose position on Europe is popular only with a nationalist-inclined minority of white working class voters who would never vote for him anyway.

I hope that Streatham CLP do get rid of Chuka. Trada seems to think they will. He's wrong about practically everything of course, but he might just be right about that. Such an event would be the most likely catalyst for a schism in the Labour Party - especially if it was followed by further de-selections of popular Labour MPs. 

None of that will stop Brexit from happening, in which case going by the TSSA poll Labour gets hammered at the next election and Corbyn will be forced out anyway.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #13484 on: February 6, 2019, 10:40:59 pm »
None of that will stop Brexit from happening, in which case going by the TSSA poll Labour gets hammered at the next election and Corbyn will be forced out anyway.

None of it will stop Brexit, it's true. I'm thinking beyond Brexit now in the hope that a new centre left party will gain traction by campaigning for another referendum.

As for Corbyn, who will force him out? We know it won't be the PLP. They have no power to do so. It can only be the members. But most members are nuts.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #13485 on: February 6, 2019, 10:42:12 pm »

He won't unless there's a challenger that the members then vote for.

Of course he could resign instead...
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #13486 on: February 6, 2019, 10:42:48 pm »
The Tories would never give up the chance to leave the customs union. Its their main prize.

How many of those Tories are going to vote for a backstop which includes one they know needs magic tech to get out of? Numbers in parliament have always been that May needs opposition support to put anything workable through. It's not just that end of things which will kick at it either - Chris Leslie's already fuming on twitter about "enabling a Tory Brexit".
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #13487 on: February 6, 2019, 10:43:06 pm »
Liam Fox talking about letting goods come into the country without charging tariffs.

That should be grand for the people smugglers.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #13488 on: February 6, 2019, 10:48:52 pm »
You forgot gays/lessies, darkies, fenians, gypsies, non church goers, dirty Romanians, taigs,  and those who would deny us our inalienable right to embezzle as much money/free holidays from everyone else.

You forgot the inalienable right to subsidise the wife's fancy man's business with public money or was that just a salacious rumour?

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13489 on: February 6, 2019, 10:49:24 pm »
None of it will stop Brexit, it's true. I'm thinking beyond Brexit now in the hope that a new centre left party will gain traction by campaigning for another referendum.

As for Corbyn, who will force him out? We know it won't be the PLP. They have no power to do so. It can only be the members. But most members are nuts.

If the party loses seats I don’t see how he stays, just my opinion but I do get the feeling that his popularity within the party is thinning thanks to his handling of Brexit and despite all the talk about Momentum running the party they are less then 10% of the party membership.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13490 on: February 6, 2019, 10:50:11 pm »
Ive gone past the stage of spending too much time reading the details now to be honest, all ive read is bullshit.bullet points on the deal they want and what red lines there prepared to drop tells us whether there still talking bullshit or actually putting forward a deal the EU will accept. it's great Labour are demanding a customs union deal, it's disappointing to see Abbott and Gardener spluttering when asked if they will drop the red line to give us that customs union deal.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13491 on: February 6, 2019, 11:02:10 pm »
Corbyn's written to the PM setting out what he wants from Brexit. Via BBC's Nick Eardley:

"Jeremy Corbyn has written to the PM setting out 5 demands that could see Labour back a Brexit deal. Wants Government to commit by enshrining them as objectives in domestic law...

Corbyn's demands:

- Customs Union
- "Close alignment" to single market
- "Dynamic alignment" on rights and protections
- Commitments on participation in EU agencies and funding programmes
- Agreements on future security arrangements

Corbyn also calling for more talks with PM to find a deal "that can win the support of parliament and bring the country together"

Guardian has more, including the letter itself.

That there's something of a problem in writing things in law which depend on EU goodwill in post-Brexit negotiations is something we're all going to have to pretend to ignore.

From the letter

That approach should guide how alignment with EU regulations is to be maintained in future, as well discussions on dispute resolution, the role of the ECJ, and competition and migration rules

Labour still dragging its feet on state aid and FOM then.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #13492 on: February 6, 2019, 11:08:44 pm »

Yup. Think that sentence needs to be read with the ones before it too though, "We recognise that any negotiation with the EU will require flexibility and compromise. Our first priority must be a deal that is best for jobs, living standards, our communities, in the context of increased and more equitable investment across all regions and nations of the UK. That approach..."

Take Oldfordie's point too, this is bullshit but it's also bullshit which wouldn't take much to make workable if parliament has, and maintains, a majority in favour of a 'soft' Brexit.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13493 on: February 6, 2019, 11:10:35 pm »
From the letter

This is what I mean about the bullshit, you will get a different answer depending on the question you ask, we need a CU+SM deal as it's vital to protect jobs and economy.
Are you going to respect the referendum result, yes Labour will respect why people voted leave.
No ECJ, no FOM, good bye SM. theres no problems over state aid anyway.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13494 on: February 6, 2019, 11:14:43 pm »
The PM is gonna need a MASSIVE card when she comes to Brussels tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/adamfleming/status/1093155015911444480

The text in the card

https://twitter.com/BrunoBrussels/status/1093178959716671489

That 3rd line...

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13495 on: February 6, 2019, 11:18:16 pm »
Yup. Think that sentence needs to be read with the ones before it too though, "We recognise that any negotiation with the EU will require flexibility and compromise. Our first priority must be a deal that is best for jobs, living standards, our communities, in the context of increased and more equitable investment across all regions and nations of the UK. That approach..."

Take Oldfordie's point too, this is bullshit but it's also bullshit which wouldn't take much to make workable if parliament has, and maintains, a majority in favour of a 'soft' Brexit.

Do you believe there is such a majority?

For unicorn soft Brexit, there might be. Realistic soft Brexit with FOM, I'm doubtful.

If you're so terrified of being seen to be "thwarting" Brexit by supporting a 2nd referendum as most MPs currently seem to be, I don't see why you'd be more comfortable not dealing decisively with what is widely regarded as the biggest reason why people voted Leave; immigration.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13496 on: February 6, 2019, 11:29:08 pm »

For unicorn soft Brexit, there might be. Realistic soft Brexit with FOM, I'm doubtful.

If you're so terrified of being seen to be "thwarting" Brexit by supporting a 2nd referendum as most MPs currently seem to be, I don't see why you'd be more comfortable not dealing decisively with what is widely regarded as the biggest reason why people voted Leave; immigration.

I think it was Lisa Nandy on the radio today saying Labour had to compromise and she felt it should be on immigration.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #13497 on: February 6, 2019, 11:33:45 pm »

I think there could be a majority there for what 'soft' Brexit really is, although I suspect playing with language is how our politicians will convince themselves it is palatable to the wider public, but it is reliant on those who are currently 'remain' voting for it too, as well as the SNP holding to their public position whether than having a last minute wobble for their own party political ends.

Have significant doubts whether May will go for it though. And that's really why I suspect Labour's frontbench have finally shifted on this.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13498 on: February 6, 2019, 11:53:31 pm »
I think it was Lisa Nandy on the radio today saying Labour had to compromise and she felt it should be on immigration.

Nandy also acknowledged that Labour’s own Brexit tests would not be met in any deal with Brussels - and the party may have to drop its hopes of ending free movement.

“The six key tests commit us to the exact same benefits as being in the single market, to being in a permanent UK-wide customs union with the European Union, and ending free movement.

“Now it is very clear, in discussions with the European Union, that you cannot do all of those things. So we are going to have to choose.

“My own view is that access to the single market and remaining in a permanent customs union is the only thing that will protect the huge number of food manufacturing jobs in my constituency, and the service industry as well, which employs many people in my town and across the country.

“So ending free movement is where we are going to have to budge.”

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/labour-mps-ready-to-back-brexit-says-lisa-nandy-1-5881477

I suspect her views on FOM are in a minority of those Labour MPs who are considering backing May.

It also begs the questions

a) what would be the point of Brexit if we were proposing to leave on those terms? and

b) why put yourself at risk of being (not unfairly on this occasion IMO) branded a "red Tory" by voting with the government for a Brexit deal that would also not satisfy a lot of the Labour Leavers in your constituency? You're pissing off both sides by pursuing a course of action that is logically stupid. If you're going to try and sell continuing to be locked in a customs union, and continuing to accept FOM to Brexiteers, you may as well go the whole hog and come out for a 2nd referendum/Remain. That's the only route to us keeping the "control" the Leavers thought we were taking back.
« Last Edit: February 7, 2019, 12:01:32 am by ShakaHislop »

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #13499 on: February 7, 2019, 12:08:41 am »
Nandy's views are also informed by the work which has been done trying to find out what voters want and which compromises they'd make. eg Involve's Citizens' Assembly in 2017. She can defend leaving but remaining within EFTA/EEA but feels a second referendum risks increasing divisions and hardening positions.* I still disagree with parts of that myself but the times I've heard her speak to small groups of us about it it's been pretty clear she's absolutely genuine in her belief around that.

*edit: see Hope not Hate's recent report too: http://www.hopenothate.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Proofed_HnH-brexit-report-2019-01-v5.pdf
« Last Edit: February 7, 2019, 12:10:54 am by Zeb »

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13500 on: February 7, 2019, 12:11:48 am »
I assume you mean wanting to get out :)
Good luck signing all those trade deals as well, it's absurd, we're giving the whole world tariff free into the UK, not 1 country in the world will sign a trade deal, they've got the best deal already.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13501 on: February 7, 2019, 01:05:29 am »
https://twitter.com/peston/status/1093234373774725121?s=21

“backing Brexit would be worse than the Iraq invasion”

Pretty ironic that to be honest

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #13502 on: February 7, 2019, 06:50:35 am »
Corbyn's written to the PM setting out what he wants from Brexit. Via BBC's Nick Eardley:

"Jeremy Corbyn has written to the PM setting out 5 demands that could see Labour back a Brexit deal. Wants Government to commit by enshrining them as objectives in domestic law...

Corbyn's demands:

- Customs Union
- "Close alignment" to single market
- "Dynamic alignment" on rights and protections
- Commitments on participation in EU agencies and funding programmes
- Agreements on future security arrangements

Corbyn also calling for more talks with PM to find a deal "that can win the support of parliament and bring the country together"

Guardian has more, including the letter itself.

That there's something of a problem in writing things in law which depend on EU goodwill in post-Brexit negotiations is something we're all going to have to pretend to ignore.

Labour’s six tests for Brexit:

Does it ensure a strong and collaborative future relationship with the EU? - It 'ensures' nothing...
Does it deliver the “exact same benefits” as we currently have as members of the Single Market and Customs Union? - No
Does it ensure the fair management of migration in the interests of the economy and communities? - Again, it 'ensures' nothing...
Does it defend rights and protections and prevent a race to the bottom? - 'dynamic alignment' means whatever you want it to mean...
Does it protect national security and our capacity to tackle cross-border crime? As with the others, there is no guaranteed protection once we are out...
Does it deliver for all regions and nations of the UK? - This stands. It will deliver a worse economic future for all regions and all nations...

Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/labour-six-tests-brexit-full-list-sir-keir-starmer-conference-speech-2018/

The only way to meet Labour's six tests is to remain in the EU.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13503 on: February 7, 2019, 07:01:51 am »
Such a pity that no politician has come out and spoken with a firm voice, consistently, in favour of Remain. Not convincingly before June 2016, and certainly not in recent months.
And articulate, photogenic, and committed as she is, it's so telling that the only public figure willing to promote some common sense, is Gina Miller.

Where are the politicians?  Even Soubry, Clarke and Wollaston have gone silent. Won't no-one get up and say how stupid this all is?

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #13504 on: February 7, 2019, 07:22:51 am »
The only way to meet Labour's six tests is to remain in the EU.

Same conversation we had about the tests a long time back, isn't it? I think 'soft' Brexit (original meaning) does squeeze through the tests and the conference motion. Not sure there's any other way to understand what Corbyn is asking for here, ignoring whether May can accept it, but a route to that in the political declaration. Whether it's ultimately realisable once we're out of the EU seems, erm, more questionable. 

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13505 on: February 7, 2019, 07:35:55 am »
Same conversation we had about the tests a long time back, isn't it? I think 'soft' Brexit (original meaning) does squeeze through the tests and the conference motion. Not sure there's any other way to understand what Corbyn is asking for here, ignoring whether May can accept it, but a route to that in the political declaration. Whether it's ultimately realisable once we're out of the EU seems, erm, more questionable. 

Corbyn just wants out. Ideally he wants all the blame on the Tories.

I’m struggling to see where this fits into the agreed Labour policy which was the any deal had to meet the six tests. If the deal doesn’t meet the tests Labour votes against it and goes for an election. If they don’t get an election they campaign for a second referendum.

There was no agreement for Corbyn to help May get a Tory Brexit (soft or not) through Parliament.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #13506 on: February 7, 2019, 07:50:16 am »
Corbyn just wants out. Ideally he wants all the blame on the Tories.

I’m struggling to see where this fits into the agreed Labour policy which was the any deal had to meet the six tests. If the deal doesn’t meet the tests Labour votes against it and goes for an election. If they don’t get an election they campaign for a second referendum.

There was no agreement for Corbyn to help May get a Tory Brexit (soft or not) through Parliament.

I think it does meet the six tests, providing it's delivered. 6 isn't necessarily about economics - Labour has often focused on NI and the border for that test. (eg p.9 pdf).

David Henig's view on what the letter means too: "As phrased this Labour letter on Brexit appears to be deliverable. "A UK say on future EU trade deals" is not a high bar and "shared institutions" on single market = single market institutions." Albeit  he follows it swiftly with scepticism on how long this will last.

Conference defined a Tory Brexit as, effectively, anything falling short of a 'soft' Brexit. So I think it matches there too.

Question which does need to be asked is how much would anyone trust the Tories to work to deliver it even after agreeing it to get the WA passed? Especially if they win a general election campaign fought on the future relationship.
« Last Edit: February 7, 2019, 07:52:11 am by Zeb »

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Brexit: Snooker loopy
« Reply #13507 on: February 7, 2019, 08:30:44 am »
Only one is. Ross Thomson from Aberdeen South. He's an absolute muppet who'll do anything to get Boris Johnsons attention.

The other two were remainers.

Was looking to see if this fella had any mention on here today. He had quite the evening it seems. I`d bet he has Boris`s attention now!
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13508 on: February 7, 2019, 08:34:14 am »
I think it does meet the six tests, providing it's delivered. 6 isn't necessarily about economics - Labour has often focused on NI and the border for that test. (eg p.9 pdf).

David Henig's view on what the letter means too: "As phrased this Labour letter on Brexit appears to be deliverable. "A UK say on future EU trade deals" is not a high bar and "shared institutions" on single market = single market institutions." Albeit  he follows it swiftly with scepticism on how long this will last.

Conference defined a Tory Brexit as, effectively, anything falling short of a 'soft' Brexit. So I think it matches there too.

Question which does need to be asked is how much would anyone trust the Tories to work to deliver it even after agreeing it to get the WA passed? Especially if they win a general election campaign fought on the future relationship.

It meets the tests if 'exact same benefits' means 'not the same benefits at all'.

And it's worth reading down that thread to where Henig is careful to say that 'a UK say' does not mean having any influence.

Takru @Takru5
38m38 minutes ago
Replying to @DavidHenigUK

"A UK say on future EU trade deals"

The collective EU just fell of their chairs, laughing.
1 reply 0 retweets 0 likes

David Henig @DavidHenigUK
37m37 minutes ago

No they didn't. They would if it said veto. Or possible even meaningful say. This is very carefully written.

Takru @Takru5
35m35 minutes ago

How much influence do countries like Norway, Switzerland or Turkey have on EU trade deals with 3rd parties?
2 replies 0 retweets 0 likes

David Henig @DavidHenigUK
34m34 minutes ago

Labour's letter doesn't say influence

More weasel words from Labour. Anyone can 'have a say' about anything.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13509 on: February 7, 2019, 08:44:03 am »

Said that before, the people in the Calais jungle will finally be able to move to Britain.

Apparently, you can treat customs like you treat the Mersey bridge toll - you fill in an online form, and once you've crossed, you go back online and pay customs on whatever you've said you brought in. No need to stop and check anyone... ::) :lmao
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #13510 on: February 7, 2019, 08:52:40 am »
It meets the tests if 'exact same benefits' means 'not the same benefits at all'.

And it's worth reading down that thread to where Henig is careful to say that 'a UK say' does not mean having any influence.

More weasel words from Labour. Anyone can 'have a say' about anything.

Oh I did read. See also Portes' counter-point to Henig's view on where this could lead. Link to that offshoot.

"Exact same benefits" are of membership of single market and customs union. Not EU.
« Last Edit: February 7, 2019, 09:01:35 am by Zeb »

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #13511 on: February 7, 2019, 08:55:36 am »
@BBCNormanS
Am told PM will not put a specific proposal to eu on backstop but will seek eu acceptance that backstop has to change.

It's basically performance art from May at this stage. Some sort of kabuki theatre at least.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Brexit: Snooker loopy
« Reply #13512 on: February 7, 2019, 08:58:08 am »
Was looking to see if this fella had any mention on here today. He had quite the evening it seems. I`d bet he has Boris`s attention now!

;D

I thought about posting that in here but decided it probably wan't of that much interest to those lucky enough not to be in (or in my case next to) his constituency.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/06/tory-mp-ross-thomson-accused-of-groping-men-in-commons-bar

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #13513 on: February 7, 2019, 10:07:44 am »
Sky's Lewis Goodall on why Corbyn has decided to offer a form of Brexit.

why Corbyn is doing this:

My sense talking to Lab sources is they’ve given up on election through motion of no conf[idence] and they think the best strategy is to divide and rule by offering May a way out. A way out which could split the Tory party and get an election anyway.

A senior Labour source points out how many votes Labour’s amendment got on its outing last week (296). It only needs twenty more to get over the line. How tempting, the argument goes for May and for Tory remainers, especially if it wasn’t tabled in Corbyn’s name.

As I reported weeks ago, there isn’t a cat in hell’s chance of this Labour leader or this leadership team backing a second referendum...

My sense is they’re extremely skittish about their working class base. One aide mentioned the Democrats: “they’ve lost the working class. We are never going to put ourselves in a position to do that. That’s why with Brexit, we’re not going to plunge head first into Remainia.”

That is predicated on the idea that "Remainia" was not as important to the 2017 election result (something for what it's worth, I disagree with) and that those voters have nowhere else to go. It's a big risk.

Slight fly in the ointment is that were May to accept the compromise, and were it to be negotiated and end up somewhere round where it would seem likely (ie not May's backstop) in the political declaration, then the division won't just be on the government benches...
« Last Edit: February 7, 2019, 10:10:38 am by Zeb »

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13514 on: February 7, 2019, 10:09:56 am »
Still baffles me we're facing the biggest decision this country has faced in 70 years with the two worst leaders its ever had simultaneously.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13515 on: February 7, 2019, 10:13:09 am »
Am I the only one who hasn’t heard the phrase ‘Remainia’ before?
Thinking is overrated.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13516 on: February 7, 2019, 10:16:09 am »

No me neither. Its a new one.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #13517 on: February 7, 2019, 10:18:55 am »
I've seen it used jokingly about cut out maps showing parts of the country which voted remain and leave. Other than that, not by a journalist to my recollection.

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #13518 on: February 7, 2019, 10:27:32 am »

Name of the new independent state of the sane parts of the United Kingdom?
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #13519 on: February 7, 2019, 10:50:51 am »
why Corbyn is doing this:

My sense talking to Lab sources is they’ve given up on election through motion of no conf[idence] and they think the best strategy is to divide and rule by offering May a way out. A way out which could split the Tory party and get an election anyway.

A senior Labour source points out how many votes Labour’s amendment got on its outing last week (296). It only needs twenty more to get over the line. How tempting, the argument goes for May and for Tory remainers, especially if it wasn’t tabled in Corbyn’s name.

As I reported weeks ago, there isn’t a cat in hell’s chance of this Labour leader or this leadership team backing a second referendum...

My sense is they’re extremely skittish about their working class base. One aide mentioned the Democrats: “they’ve lost the working class. We are never going to put ourselves in a position to do that. That’s why with Brexit, we’re not going to plunge head first into Remainia.”

That is predicated on the idea that "Remainia" was not as important to the 2017 election result (something for what it's worth, I disagree with) and that those voters have nowhere else to go. It's a big risk.
Ugh, to see it set out like that.  The country’s interests are not aligned with its political classes’ interests.