Author Topic: Christmas fixtures and Covid  (Read 29058 times)

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Christmas fixtures and Covid
« Reply #360 on: December 25, 2021, 12:43:53 pm »
Rafa claiming they would have to play youth players, just like we do often.

We seem to be the only club willing to do anything to play.

Well I dont know who they have available.

You see Dyche was keen to get game on I bet he was easy meat.

The easy soultion was to do what Thomas Frank said shut down till boxing day and get some rules in place.

PL have been a disgrace and most high profile managers think the same too.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #361 on: December 25, 2021, 02:50:39 pm »
in all this discussion, I keep asking myself: just who the fukk is it in the "Premier League" making these decisions? 

as far as I can find, this must be coming from the PL Board of Directors who - I assume - are the ones acting like dicks in this thing.  they are:
Chairman - Gary Hoffman
Chief Exec - Richard Masters
plus: Mai Fyfield and Dharmash Mistry, and non-executive director Kevin Beeston.

BUT the league consists of the clubs.
If the majority of the managers think the decisions are ridiculous, and everyone and his dog are screaming for proper rules around Covid postponements .... why are they being ignored by these idiots who just keep saying "Nah, keep playing.  Nope, we don't need any clarity over vaccinations or uniformity on postponement rules. If you have 13 players available you're fine get on with it!" 

Why can't the clubs call for a vote to get sense into all this?

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #362 on: December 25, 2021, 06:22:32 pm »
The 13 outfield players plus a goalkeeper rule is being abused. There’s no way a PL club can’t meet those criteria
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #363 on: December 25, 2021, 07:03:32 pm »
The 13 outfield players plus a goalkeeper rule is being abused. There’s no way a PL club can’t meet those criteria

I agree.

Let’s look at it another way if it gets to April we are a few points clear of City.

Would you be happy if the league said to us put out Kelleher Bradley Beck Gomez Koumeto Hendo Milner Morton Minamino Origi Firmino.

I certainly wouldn’t be the league has to maintain its integrity but as you have stated they are not doing that United have swept up all Covid/injuries and are fresh as daisies now

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #364 on: December 25, 2021, 07:48:15 pm »
I agree.

Let’s look at it another way if it gets to April we are a few points clear of City.

Would you be happy if the league said to us put out Kelleher Bradley Beck Gomez Koumeto Hendo Milner Morton Minamino Origi Firmino.

I certainly wouldn’t be the league has to maintain its integrity but as you have stated they are not doing that United have swept up all Covid/injuries and are fresh as daisies now

They're still shit though  ;)

Online Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #365 on: December 25, 2021, 10:37:45 pm »
So I’m reading that the Everton game has been called off due to covid AND INJURIES. Seriously, since when have injuries been a reason to call off a game? In that case we could have had every game called off last season.
Didn't a team get deducted points a few years ago because they only had 11 players available or something like that due to injuries? Like you say how is this different? If ta team have four cases of covid but still have 20 players without covid but eight are injured then it's kind of tough shit. Welcome to us last season.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #366 on: December 26, 2021, 09:39:04 am »

That is where the transparency is lacking.

Teams asking for games to be called off and it agreed and others haven't (Chelsea, Brighton).
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #367 on: December 26, 2021, 12:33:23 pm »
A cold turkey day...in more ways than one...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #368 on: December 26, 2021, 12:50:54 pm »
Go Leicester!!  ;D More tackles and shithouseries please.  ;D

Don't just rollover, yer c*nts!!!

P/S: Kindly, I am not a Scouser, but am I doing it right?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2021, 12:53:20 pm by NarutoReds »
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #369 on: December 26, 2021, 12:58:45 pm »
Go Leicester!!  ;D More tackles and shithouseries please.  ;D

Don't just rollover, yer c*nts!!!

P/S: Kindly, I am not a Scouser, but am I doing it right?

Not with the ‘Go Leicester’, it’s far too Americany  :P
‘Go Sports Team!’.

The right way to do it though is:

‘Watch Leicester roll over for them lot and take the inevitable 4-0 battering’.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #370 on: December 26, 2021, 01:03:04 pm »
Didn't a team get deducted points a few years ago because they only had 11 players available or something like that due to injuries? Like you say how is this different? If ta team have four cases of covid but still have 20 players without covid but eight are injured then it's kind of tough shit. Welcome to us last season.

Middlesbrough in 96/97? They postponed a fixture at late notice around Christmas time, I think they’d had a flu outbreak. The Premier League docked them 3 points. Had they played the game and just taken a defeat they’d have stayed up (assuming the rest of the season played out the same way).

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #371 on: December 26, 2021, 01:28:36 pm »
Not with the ‘Go Leicester’, it’s far too Americany  :P
‘Go Sports Team!’.

The right way to do it though is:

‘Watch Leicester roll over for them lot and take the inevitable 4-0 battering’.
Hahahah!!! Thanks mate. In the process of enscousing myself.
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Online Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #372 on: December 26, 2021, 01:56:55 pm »
Middlesbrough in 96/97? They postponed a fixture at late notice around Christmas time, I think they’d had a flu outbreak. The Premier League docked them 3 points. Had they played the game and just taken a defeat they’d have stayed up (assuming the rest of the season played out the same way).
That's the one. I had it in my head it was Hull.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #373 on: December 26, 2021, 02:40:27 pm »
Have Leicester claimed they need a Covid cancellation for the 28th yet?

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #374 on: December 26, 2021, 03:09:55 pm »
Thiago out of isolation now too.
AHA!

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #375 on: December 26, 2021, 03:13:44 pm »
That is where the transparency is lacking.

Teams asking for games to be called off and it agreed and others haven't (Chelsea, Brighton).

I feel sorry for Palace,how can the PL turn them down and force them to play against Spurs without a manager ?
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #376 on: December 26, 2021, 03:13:48 pm »
Leeds v Villa on Tuesday is off now.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #377 on: December 26, 2021, 03:14:49 pm »
Leeds v Villa on Tuesday is off now.

But Crystal Palace had to play today. Lol.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #378 on: December 26, 2021, 03:16:54 pm »
But Crystal Palace had to play today. Lol.

Forced to play with 1 change.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #379 on: December 26, 2021, 03:41:28 pm »
Forced to play with 1 change.

But that’s essentially all the “good” players they have.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #380 on: December 26, 2021, 03:47:30 pm »
But that’s essentially all the “good” players they have.

I didn't know about the "We can only play if" rule.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #381 on: December 26, 2021, 04:05:00 pm »
I didn't know about the "We can only play if" rule.

But there is no rule(s) at all it seems.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #382 on: December 26, 2021, 05:16:19 pm »
But there is no rule(s) at all it seems.

You're forgetting the "shut the training ground" get out of jail free card.

Offline FLRed67

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #383 on: December 26, 2021, 05:25:48 pm »
Hey can someone send me the link to the spreadsheet with the EPL schedule, the one where you can go in and order the match you want cancelled? I heard it's on Google Drive?

I just got a message that my mom's first boyfriend's dog walker's youngest step-son just tested positive, and I' m not in the mood to watch football right now.

Offline davidlpool1982

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #384 on: December 26, 2021, 08:21:27 pm »
Our game Vs Leeds will now probably be at a time when they have some of their important players back from injury. Makes that a harder game than it would be today, especially if the PL try to fit it in during AFCON. Hopefully the League Cup 2 legs semi might help see that idea off.

Online BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #385 on: December 26, 2021, 08:26:43 pm »
Our game Vs Leeds will now probably be at a time when they have some of their important players back from injury. Makes that a harder game than it would be today, especially if the PL try to fit it in during AFCON. Hopefully the League Cup 2 legs semi might help see that idea off.

I'll be amazed if it's not rescheduled between Brentford and Palace in January.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #386 on: December 26, 2021, 08:35:45 pm »
It ends up a nice mid-season break for Bielsa whose team were running on fumes.

Same with Spurs.

City got a nice two weeks off last season and came back and won loads of games on the run which basically won them the league.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #387 on: December 26, 2021, 08:45:21 pm »

Same with Spurs.

City got a nice two weeks off last season and came back and won loads of games on the run which basically won them the league.

It really is comedy hour. Don’t forget Spurs looking good after a sweet 10 day break.

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #388 on: December 26, 2021, 09:38:25 pm »
I’m on the verge of giving up on domestic competitions for this season. It’ not  level playing field at the moment.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #389 on: December 26, 2021, 10:14:11 pm »
I’m on the verge of giving up on domestic competitions for this season. It’ not  level playing field at the moment.

The Premier League can't keep having gameweeks where games are postponed. Already Wolves is off for the 28th/29th gameweek. That's at least 1 postponed game in the last 3 gameweeks now.

If our game gets called off vs Leicester we'd be 9 points behind City (who will destroy Brentford) heading into that game against Chelsea. We know the game is psychological at times.

Personally think there'll be a massive backlash soon. I'm actually amazed most of the managers have all been so calm. But like the null and void nonsense it's all about self interest.

"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #390 on: December 26, 2021, 10:20:52 pm »
It either has to be suspend all games for a period or force all clubs to play. This in between thing is so open to abuse.

Offline stonecold_jpm

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #391 on: December 26, 2021, 10:36:06 pm »
I fully expect Chelsea to have a breakout before our match with them as they won’t want to play us with us having played a game less than them in the last week. Also reckon Pep and City will pull their card out as well so they don’t have to travel to flying Arsenal who’ll have had 6 days off whilst City will have played twice.

Offline stevied

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #392 on: December 26, 2021, 10:41:42 pm »
The Premier League can't keep having gameweeks where games are postponed. Already Wolves is off for the 28th/29th gameweek. That's at least 1 postponed game in the last 3 gameweeks now.

If our game gets called off vs Leicester we'd be 9 points behind City (who will destroy Brentford) heading into that game against Chelsea. We know the game is psychological at times.

Personally think there'll be a massive backlash soon. I'm actually amazed most of the managers have all been so calm. But like the null and void nonsense it's all about self interest.

Not sure they have been calm Conti said the meeting with the Premier league was like talking to a brick wall , they obviously aired their opinions to no avail
i can tip em but cant back em

RAWK Aintree tipping champ 2013

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #393 on: December 26, 2021, 11:16:49 pm »
the media should force the PL execs making these decisions to hold a press conference to try to justify the insanely ridiculously crap job they're doing. and how they are upholding the "integrity of the game".

but those twats, whoever TF they are, will never do that in a million years.

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #394 on: December 26, 2021, 11:19:00 pm »
Not football but I see the England cricket team have been trying it on.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #395 on: December 26, 2021, 11:45:18 pm »
the media should force the PL execs making these decisions to hold a press conference to try to justify the insanely ridiculously crap job they're doing. and how they are upholding the "integrity of the game".

but those twats, whoever TF they are, will never do that in a million years.

The media isn't a single entity though, they, like the clubs, are competing with each other. Just in this case its for clicks, buyers, ad time etc etc. You can see in the variety of reporting you get when someone like Klopp speaks up about a certain subject - say player welfare - one or two publications may run a story in relative good faith and three/four others will pop a headline of 'Klopp moans about fixture congestion' knowing that will drive traffic/buyers and don't give a shit about the underlying problem or even reporting the tone/overarching subject he's trying, in increasingly frustrating vain, to discuss.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #396 on: December 27, 2021, 12:00:14 am »
Not sure they have been calm Conti said the meeting with the Premier league was like talking to a brick wall , they obviously aired their opinions to no avail

Tuchel was critical of the mess earlier.  Not sure if there is much if any clarity available behind the decisions.  Obviously there appears to be zip considerations for fans travelling to games, given how some have been canx relatively close to kick off.

Maybe the VAR mob make the decisions.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #397 on: December 27, 2021, 08:33:41 am »

Same with Spurs.

Both Leeds and Spurs cases seem genuine but without we don’t know as zero transparency.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #398 on: December 27, 2021, 08:55:07 am »
Both Leeds and Spurs cases seem genuine but without we don’t know as zero transparency.

Didn't Leeds state "covid and injuries" as their reason? At least they didn't try to hide it. If injuries is now a valid reason to have games suspended we should just tell the league we have lots of covid and injuries when the lads head off to the AFCON tournament.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #399 on: December 27, 2021, 09:15:41 am »
Didn't Leeds state "covid and injuries" as their reason? At least they didn't try to hide it. If injuries is now a valid reason to have games suspended we should just tell the league we have lots of covid and injuries when the lads head off to the AFCON tournament.

I guess if you have several injuries and then Covid cases on top it impacts on how many you have available. Does feel open to abuse though.