Author Topic: New Managing Director Appointed - Christian Purslow  (Read 70568 times)

Offline Miguel Sanchez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Proud member of the Witness Relocation Program
Re: New Managing Director Appointed - Christian Purslow
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2009, 10:43:16 am »
Johnathon Dimbleby

Johnathon Dimbleby thinks he looks like Hansen? How do you know that?
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you...

Offline cambridge

• Main Stander
  • sssshhhhh, let's not get too carried away.........
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2009, 10:44:41 am »
Must have been a hell of a desicion for him to make. Being a supporter and knowing how much the cowboys have fu*ked up the club. How could you work for them!?!?

Offline adamreadthis

• Main Stander
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2009, 10:45:57 am »
Johnathon Dimbleby thinks he looks like Hansen? How do you know that?

No he looks like Johnathon Dimbleby. :)

Offline redannie

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2009, 10:47:26 am »
The article in today's Torygraph reckons that he is a pal of King Kenny and has a strong connection with RBS who are pleased with his appointment his next job is to renegotiate the loan

Offline redannie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2009, 10:48:30 am »
Must have been a hell of a desicion for him to make. Being a supporter and knowing how much the cowboys have fu*ked up the club. How could you work for them!?!?

Perhaps instead of wringing his hands in woe he sees this as an opportunity to do something for the club

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2009, 10:49:01 am »
I may be mistaken but it sounds like he is being appointed as an official accountant.

What will be interesting is how he will help to clear the club of the defecit of £40 million per season. Major changes need to be made for the financial structure of the club and the major issue that needs to be organised is the building of the new stadium. Getting this built, even if it means taking a step back regarding buying players, will make us take two step forwards in the future. Ian Ayres said that 65,000 people are on the season ticket waiting list with 2-3 getting one per season. Surely this then to go with the 20,000 current season ticket holders means that an 100,000 seater should not be dismissed. With our Global fan base and the huge season ticket list every game would be sold out. This will be interseting to see if Christian makes any amendments to see his ambitions with the financial organisation of the club, good luck mate.

Offline fry

• or stew
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hoe Hoe Hoe
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2009, 10:49:41 am »
Thats why i take little note of him being a "Fan" how could you sit with our owners and plan our more loans, as thats what he will be doing. 
Disclaimer: The above post may not be based on facts even if stated as fact.

Offline Joe_Singh

• Legacy Fan
  • My idea is always to win trophies, not just games
    • Joe Singh
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2009, 10:50:18 am »
Can anyone verify if he is an ST and if so how long.

I just wanna be sure that its not spin to make us happy.
What I love about this, and several other of Kenny's press conferences, is that he manages to say something to the effect of  'Shut the fuck up, you fucking helmets and don't fuck with me or my football club or I'll make you eat your own balls', without actually using th

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2009, 10:53:01 am »
Take the Liverpool fan bit as a pinch of salt, afterall them two dopes who sold us where also Liverpool fans, He will be employed to bring more commercial revenues into the club no other reason. The yanks arnt interested in fans just $$$$$
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline nm83

• Kopite
  • Minister of Sarcasm
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2009, 11:01:25 am »
still not sure what to make of this ... i guess time will tell.
first job will be to sort out our transfers though.
if you're genuinely a fan and looking after the best interests of the club though ... welcome to board :)
YNWA

Offline Joe_Singh

• Legacy Fan
  • My idea is always to win trophies, not just games
    • Joe Singh
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2009, 11:02:10 am »
Take the Liverpool fan bit as a pinch of salt, afterall them two dopes who sold us where also Liverpool fans, He will be employed to bring more commercial revenues into the club no other reason. The yanks arnt interested in fans just $$$$$

Thats exactly my thinking and hence the question.[
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 11:05:19 am by Joe_Singh »
What I love about this, and several other of Kenny's press conferences, is that he manages to say something to the effect of  'Shut the fuck up, you fucking helmets and don't fuck with me or my football club or I'll make you eat your own balls', without actually using th

Offline kopindian

• Legacy Fan
    • Films I Watch
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2009, 11:10:06 am »
Think he is there to represent the yanks when/if new investors comes in and the appointment of ceo will be done after.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2009, 11:11:40 am »
Here's a bit more, old stuff, but interesting... http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/outlook-fantasy-football-1198320.html

"The man heading Salomon's approach is Christian Purslow, an upstart corporate financier who came to prominence last year for an utterly shambolic and ultimately fruitless attempt to float Formula One. So is his client Bernie Ecclestone? Apparently not. Who then? Not saying, comes the riposte, but the bid will be debt financed."

It also seems his stint as Director at Salomons, although prominent on his CV, lasted but weeks, it's cached and readable here.. http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:oMS5SWsXPMgJ:www.efinancialnews.com/homepage/content/587006+%22christian+purslow%22+salomons&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

I'm really not too sure if this appointment is a good or a bad thing.

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline guyko21

• Kopite
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2009, 11:13:54 am »
Thats why i take little note of him being a "Fan" how could you sit with our owners and plan our more loans, as thats what he will be doing. 
As a fan I'd rather be trying to do something from the inside ... most leaders are toppled by their henchmen, not outsiders, and if he's anything as shrewd as his CV suggests, he could be instrumental in getting rid of H&G, or persuading them to go. 

Who knows, but at first blush it looks like an interesting appointment as no season-ticketholder or true fan can be happy about H&G's current ownership, and I doubt this fella is any different. 

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2009, 11:15:02 am »
He is being employed by the Americans - nuff said.

His job will be to help with the financial juggling so the Americans can keep meeting their interest payments/refinance when necessary.

He will bring us no closer to the stadium which is what we needed new owners to provide for us in the first place.

So back to business as usual - that is Rafa being expected to perform miracles despite the club having owners who are among the worst in footballing history.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 11:24:56 am by carling »

Offline MikeD

• Anny Roader
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2009, 11:15:56 am »
Can anyone verify if he is an ST and if so how long.

I just wanna be sure that its not spin to make us happy.

All statements released by H+G will be done by their PR companies, talk is cheap as they say.

Offline nm83

• Kopite
  • Minister of Sarcasm
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2009, 11:16:03 am »
his listing as a fan however, i feel, will be mentioned to give greater comfort to the rest of us.
YNWA

Offline elrojoyoda

• Legacy Fan
  • The Dream Team
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2009, 11:17:10 am »

Wasn't he in the A-team?

Think he looks like Max Farnham from Brookie
Follow me on Twitter @RojoYoda

Offline Macedonian_Red

• NewsNow. Actually much later. And then probably wrong.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2009, 11:17:33 am »

I know that I am entering a mine field here, but in reality, G&H are making the right moves in the past couple of months ... Signing Rafa and our most influential players on new (improved) contracts, getting rid of Parry and increasing Rafa's competences on the transfer and academy issues, adding experienced professionals to the financial and commercial department, selling their US/Canada based sporting assets with a clear intention on strengthening their financial position at LFC ...

Offline NotBeenInAigburthSince2008

• Kopite
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2009, 11:18:38 am »
I know that I am entering a mine field here, but in reality, G&H are making the right moves in the past couple of months ... Signing Rafa and our most influential players on new (improved) contracts, getting rid of Parry and increasing Rafa's competences on the transfer and academy issues, adding experienced professionals to the financial and commercial department, selling their US/Canada based sporting assets with a clear intention on strengthening their financial position at LFC ...

BOOM!!!!!

Offline fry

• or stew
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hoe Hoe Hoe
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2009, 11:20:53 am »
As a fan I'd rather be trying to do something from the inside ... most leaders are toppled by their henchmen, not outsiders, and if he's anything as shrewd as his CV suggests, he could be instrumental in getting rid of H&G, or persuading them to go. 

Who knows, but at first blush it looks like an interesting appointment as no season-ticketholder or true fan can be happy about H&G's current ownership, and I doubt this fella is any different. 
Do you think he is on a mission to topple the owners from the inside?  or is he another financial type out for his own pocket and to help the owners tidy the books to get more loans, with the "being a fan" a nice little sweetner for us?

To be perfectly honest.  This guy could be sound as fuck etc etc but ill still opppse him.  I know its meaningless but anyone that sits with the owners automatically becomes the enemy in my eyes.

Apologies if im ruining "The good news" for anyone.  It just makes me sick how quickly the yanks can appease some people.     

Offline coffeehead

• A Lack Of Real Spice In His Life
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2009, 11:21:51 am »
As someone else mentioned, if he's so qualified why is he only in temporary charge and not the new CEO? Unless someone else will soon have the job of appointing a new CEO

Offline fry

• or stew
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hoe Hoe Hoe
« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2009, 11:22:24 am »

The right move would be to fuck off,

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2009, 11:24:01 am »
As it's a temporary appointment it's clearly part of a strategy, which I do not have the financial background/knowledge to read.
Or would it be fanciful to wonder if the salient point is that no one of any credibility wants the CEO job because of H&G?

Offline Miguel Sanchez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2009, 11:24:31 am »
selling their US/Canada based sporting assets with a clear intention on strengthening their financial position at LFC ...

Are they though?

They both owe a ton of money to banks around the world and these banks want most if not all of it back ASAP. They have no way of getting the money other than selling the assets they have and then paying off the debt that have loaded on them.

Some of the recent moves are welcomed here, Rafa's and players contracts, Parry gone etc. But this talk about strengthing their position by selling their other assets is nonsense, they are selling assets because they have no choice.

Offline Gedo

• Tube Blower.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2009, 11:27:50 am »
Despise these pair of American Cnuts but I'm interested in to our we where undermaned under Moores/Parry.

Parry was effectively doing a 4 man job!

Nash
Ayers
Purslow
New CEO?

Parry done the job of the four of them or tried to anyway!!!!!

Offline coffeehead

• A Lack Of Real Spice In His Life
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2009, 11:29:45 am »
selling their US/Canada based sporting assets with a clear intention on strengthening their financial position at LFC ...
You've discussed it with them have you? And that's how you know their 'clear intention'?

Besides strengthening THEIR financial position is irrelevant to us; strengthening OUR financial position is what matters and so far there's no sign of any positive change in that department.

Offline Ben_

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2009, 11:31:32 am »

I have to agree with that... As much as everyone wants the Americans gone, at the moment it looks like that is unlikely at best.

So if they're going to be here longer term, bringing in people like Purslow, Nash and Ayers can only be a good move.

The match kicks off in 30 minutes ya silly twat

"This European Cup final is won, AC Milan 3, Liverpool 0."

"This scoreline is absolutely staggering, AC Milan 3, Liverpool 3!" - Five Live

Offline matthew45

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Try hard blogger and embarrassed OOT
    • Matthew Cain's blog
« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2009, 11:35:40 am »
Despise these pair of American Cnuts but I'm interested in to our we where undermaned under Moores/Parry.

Parry was effectively doing a 4 man job!

Nash
Ayers
Purslow
New CEO?

Parry done the job of the four of them or tried to anyway!!!!!

I think that one of the serious problems in the past was the lack of capacity at senior level.
I blog about Liverpool, mostly focussed on the reserves, at: http://blog.matthewcain.co.uk/category/liverpool-fc/

Offline nm83

• Kopite
  • Minister of Sarcasm
« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2009, 11:35:53 am »
As it's a temporary appointment it's clearly part of a strategy, which I do not have the financial background/knowledge to read.
Or would it be fanciful to wonder if the salient point is that no one of any credibility wants the CEO job because of H&G?

any potential CEO that's not been on Mars for the last couple of years would know the LFC role is a minefield.  unless I were confident of them being gone soon, I know I wouldn't want to work for them.
YNWA

Offline matthew45

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Try hard blogger and embarrassed OOT
    • Matthew Cain's blog
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2009, 11:36:20 am »
I think that Purslow's experience in financial matters is significant, and perhaps also his experience with media leverage.
I blog about Liverpool, mostly focussed on the reserves, at: http://blog.matthewcain.co.uk/category/liverpool-fc/

Offline Macedonian_Red

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2009, 11:36:40 am »
Some of the recent moves are welcomed here, Rafa's and players contracts, Parry gone etc. But this talk about strengthing their position by selling their other assets is nonsense, they are selling assets because they have no choice.

Well, they could have sold their stake in LFC instead, but they decided to keep it ...

To be honest, as much as I hate them, they are not stupid and they know we are on the verge of greatness ... Therefore, I expect them to try and make that last step in order to turn Rafa's team into PL champions ... I expect them to renegotiate another one-year loan extension, with some serious improvement to the team this summer (a couple of quality additions is all that we need at the moment), without selling any of our important players ...

You know, selling a PL title winner (for a big profit) is much easier, even in these difficult financial conditions ...

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2009, 11:37:17 am »

I think it goes to show just how shockingly awful owners they are that when they do the bare minimum you would expect  that they are praised for it.

Maybe that is why they have set the bar so low for themselves, either that or they are just arseholes who are in completely over their heads.

Offline WaltonRed

• Oct 4th: Don't be stupid there are no buyers. Oct 6th: These buyers. I don't like them. Oct 8th: ???
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2009, 11:38:13 am »
He is a mate of Morgan and was his main backer when he tried to buy the club on the cheap a few years ago.  Was trying to destabilise the club for ages when Moores was in charge and made a lot of enemies.  Now a big pal of Hicks.

General view in hte City is that he is a bit of an arse but fairly competent.  And knows next to nothing about football.  He is a pure Investment Banker.

The assumption in the City is that he is there to help renegotiate the loan and then to try to sell the club.  Otherwise what is the point of his appointment?

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2009, 11:40:03 am »
He studied at Fitzwilliam 1983
He possibly seems to have some past linkage to a Spanish company as a member of the board, Probitas Pharma, that has a UK subsidiary Grifols UK at 72 St. Andrew´s Road, Cambridge CB4 1GS, so sounds like a possible old boys network connection going on there, but last report was 2005 so may well have resigned.

His previous major 'sport' involvement other than the F1 stuff I mentioned above seems to be the purchase of "LA Fitness". The CEO was a Fred Turok, who surprisingly has a brother who teaches at Cambridge.

However this looks like were he hit the big time. http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/article847022.ece

"Along with Christian Purslow and Julian Seaward, they made a £525 million profit from their £114 million equity investment when they sold the business in two parts last year"

Don't get your hopes up too high gentlemen.

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Macedonian_Red

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2009, 11:40:21 am »
Besides strengthening THEIR financial position is irrelevant to us; strengthening OUR financial position is what matters and so far there's no sign of any positive change in that department.

Bidding 17+ million for a right full back tells a different story ... I am not saying they will splash the cash ... I am only saying they will try to make us PL title winners, before selling us (for a much bigger profit) ...

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2009, 11:44:11 am »
Bidding 17+ million for a right full back tells a different story ... I am not saying they will splash the cash ... I am only saying they will try to make us PL title winners, before selling us (for a much bigger profit) ...

If we win the prem it will be very much despite our owners.

They have gave us no more cash than could ever have been expected.

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2009, 11:45:39 am »

The assumption in the City is that he is there to help renegotiate the loan and then to try to sell the club.  Otherwise what is the point of his appointment?

Cutting it fine arnt they? theres only a month left for the re-fi.
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline Miguel Sanchez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2009, 11:46:51 am »

So in turn would you think it highly unlikely that we are the club with the 60% ownership being talked about?

Offline Macedonian_Red

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2009, 11:49:08 am »

By Telegraph staff
Published: 10:56AM BST 22 Jun 2009

Meanwhile, Liverpool have appointed Christian Purslow, a financier with strong links to Merseyside, as their new managing director.

Purslow, an Anfield season-ticket holder, will join the board and take over many of the responsibilities of outgoing chief executive Rick Parry, but will step aside when a full-time replacement for Parry is appointed.

Purslow’s priorities will be to renegotiate the £350m loan with RBS due to be repaid at the end of July and to work with manager Rafa Benitez on summer transfer targets.

Purslow, whose background is in private equity, speaks fluent Spanish and has already struck a relationship with Benitez. He is understood to have played a role in the negotiations surrounding Fernando Torres’s new contract.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/liverpool/5601069/Liverpool-coach-wont-rule-out-Javier-Mascherano-leaving.html