Author Topic: Naby Keita Watch  (Read 1889399 times)

Offline Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Naby Keita Watch
« Reply #10200 on: April 29, 2021, 01:12:58 pm »
???

We've had much lauded signings who were meant to be the final piece in the jigsaw, and were shite, and we won fuck all whilst they were here. And you think someone who has played a bit-part role in us winning the PL and CL is the most disappointing ever? Find that a bit weird to be honest. Collymore? Kewell? Diouf? Morientes? Aquilani? Fucking hell yeah um...Andy fucking Carroll?!

Ehh maybe Collymore. Thought Kewell, Morientes and Aquilani were good players but nothing that would change much.

Never rated Andy Carroll, thought he was a cart horse way before we bought him.

Keita I genuinely believed would be an absolute game changer for us, which it turns out we didn't need. Instead he was just a bit part figure, also weirdly passive and meek.

Edit: Sahin is probably actually the most disappointing for me now that I think about it. What a waste of time he was.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 01:14:47 pm by Simplexity »

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #10201 on: April 29, 2021, 01:14:03 pm »
Deegan and Krompkamp though. Legends.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10202 on: April 29, 2021, 01:30:39 pm »
I still like to think Keita has a future here, he doesn’t really have many bad games and in some games he has been excellent, if he can stay injury free he could still turn it around... Give him another season and see where we go from there.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #10203 on: April 29, 2021, 01:35:37 pm »
It does increasingly look like he is off. Klopp does not trust him at all clear as day.

Probably the most disappointing signing ever for me.

yep, pound for £..and in terms of what we thought he'd bring to the side he's definitely up there....
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #10204 on: April 29, 2021, 01:36:52 pm »
I'm increasingly suspicious that the two number 8 slots in our midfield are where creative and progressive midfielders go to die.  The only midfielders who have really excelled in those positions in our current setup are Henderson, Gini and Milner - all three are hardworking, tactically disciplined and don't offer a huge amount of creativity.

None of Ox, Shaq, Keita, Minamino, Thiago or Jones have fulfilled their potential in our 433 and the manager doesn't appear to be sold on them ahead of any of the other three.  If we switch things up next season and play with a double-pivot, then I'd absolutely keep Keita around because that plays to his strengths more and would keep him central, but if we continue with (what's starting to look like) a disjointed and ineffective 433, then I'm not sure he's the man for it.

Injuries have been rotten for us with AM's. Lallana was one of our best players under Klopp until injuries did him. Coutinho was our best player until Barca took him.

Ox was flying until his knee went. Keita has never stayed fit. Minamino has rarely, if ever, been used in midfield (or signed to play there). Similar with Shaq who again has been battered by niggling injuries. Jones has made some impact, but he's a young, raw talent and not ready to play regularly.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10205 on: April 29, 2021, 01:37:19 pm »
???

We've had much lauded signings who were meant to be the final piece in the jigsaw, and were shite, and we won fuck all whilst they were here. And you think someone who has played a bit-part role in us winning the PL and CL is the most disappointing ever? Find that a bit weird to be honest. Collymore? Kewell? Diouf? Morientes? Aquilani? Fucking hell yeah um...Andy fucking Carroll?!

Paul Ince!

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #10206 on: April 29, 2021, 02:07:30 pm »
Paul Ince!

Yeah Ince too, he was a massive disappointment. Go back a bit further and the guys we signed at the end of Souness or start of Evans reigns were pretty grim too (Clough, Babb, Scales, Ruddock)
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
« Reply #10207 on: April 29, 2021, 03:17:22 pm »
???

If it's 'most' disappointing then Keita isn't top of that list, but he's not that far off it I would say.

Some of the names mentioned turned out to be utter shite, but in the case of Collymore (scored over 25 goals and hit the winner in the iconic Newcastle game), Kewell (scored a couple of merseyside derby goals and started 2 finals), even Andy Carroll can say he managed to score an FA cup semi final derby winning goal.

As for Keita, he's really done nothing of note at all, but the scumbag rat Diouf takes the crown of most disappointing signing ever.
FAME makes a man take things over

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10208 on: April 29, 2021, 03:46:56 pm »
Yeah Ince too, he was a massive disappointment. Go back a bit further and the guys we signed at the end of Souness or start of Evans reigns were pretty grim too (Clough, Babb, Scales, Ruddock)

The end of the three foreigner rule fucked us in the 90's. We ended up chasing after Julian Dicks rather than Dennis Irwin, Nigel Clough and Paul Stewart rather than Roy Keane, David James rather than Schmeichel, Mark Walters etc.

Ince was meant to be the midfield general we lacked through the 90's and was hailed as 'the final piece of the jigsaw'/

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10209 on: April 29, 2021, 03:52:58 pm »
RAWK had me thinking we signed a perfect mix of Vieira and Zidane.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Mod
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #10210 on: April 29, 2021, 04:05:38 pm »

Zideira and Viedane sound like the two Master League greats that never were.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10211 on: April 29, 2021, 04:13:43 pm »
I didn't have a clue regarding his ability, but lots on here were saying he'd be the best midfielder in the world for us!

Offline eeekaj

• Anny Roader
« Reply #10212 on: April 29, 2021, 04:15:36 pm »
It's crazy to think he was arguably the best player in the Bundesliga at one point. His form for Leipzig went downhill in 17/18 after we had wrapped up his signature for the 18/19 season, and he lost his amazing form before joining us. I think that was a big mistake, we should have brought him in sooner.

I've always backed him up because on his day he is a very good footballer, but it's becoming so rare due to his injuries and under-par performances when given a chance.

With Gini leaving (and maybe Ox?) I just can't see Klopp losing 3 midfielders, but honestly I think we should sell before his value drops.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #10213 on: April 29, 2021, 04:27:55 pm »
It's crazy to think he was arguably the best player in the Bundesliga at one point. His form for Leipzig went downhill in 17/18 after we had wrapped up his signature for the 18/19 season, and he lost his amazing form before joining us. I think that was a big mistake, we should have brought him in sooner.

I've always backed him up because on his day he is a very good footballer, but it's becoming so rare due to his injuries and under-par performances when given a chance.

With Gini leaving (and maybe Ox?) I just can't see Klopp losing 3 midfielders, but honestly I think we should sell before his value drops.

He had a good 17/18 season.

Not sure what you mean by it being a mistake not to bring him in sooner, I could have sworn they tried everything they could to bring him over sooner.

I admit, I am done with Keita now, if they can sell him in the summer, I wouldn’t be remotely bothered.

I have no doubts he’s a fantastic player when he’s on his game, seen it enough to know, but what is the point when you can’t even trust a player at all at this point.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10214 on: April 29, 2021, 04:39:37 pm »
We hoped we were getting our own Kante who was the best midfielder in the league at the time.

Keita had a solid first season settling in, as did Fabinho, but he had a few injury problems. As I said here at the time that bastard Guinea coach was going to ruin his career here when he called him up injured to the AFCON.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #10215 on: April 29, 2021, 04:45:34 pm »
Zideira and Viedane sound like the two Master League greats that never were.
We could sorely do with a Dodo at the base of midfield when Fab is in defence.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Cafe De Paris

• Kopite
  • Up the Red Men
« Reply #10216 on: April 29, 2021, 09:47:54 pm »
I’m afraid he isnt good enough. He may have looked awesome in Germany but with his injuries and his poor form should we keep hoping maybe he will come good. He looks lightweight also. Take it as a hit and sell so we can bring someone else in.
LFC a bastion of invincibility.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10217 on: April 29, 2021, 10:01:42 pm »
I’m afraid he isnt good enough. He may have looked awesome in Germany but with his injuries and his poor form should we keep hoping maybe he will come good. He looks lightweight also. Take it as a hit and sell so we can bring someone else in.

Keita at his top level is a fantastic player, doesn’t matter the league.  Problem is, it’s only happened very occassionally here, punctuated by injury after injury. So yeah, it’s infuriating, and it looks like he’s had his final chance now and the trust is eroded, a manager and club can only wait so long and give so many chances, when they are under immense pressure to win.

It’s a shame for sure.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #10218 on: April 29, 2021, 10:21:50 pm »
Trust either Statsbomb or RAWK hipsters to judge a player at your peril.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #10219 on: April 29, 2021, 10:22:42 pm »
Got to be able to get £25m plus for him right? I’d cash in for the sake of the club and the player - the talent is clearly there but for whatever reason it’s not going to work there

As someone said above, invest more time in Jones.

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10220 on: April 29, 2021, 10:51:28 pm »
i see Keita as one of these players who will thrive in a lesser team but cant handle the pressure of playing for a big club.

he hasnt played since that real madrid game. i do wonder if he failed to carry out the role he was asked to fulfill that night. Klopp hauling him off before half time and not even putting him on as a substitute in any game since seems to suggest that he isnt happy with him

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10221 on: April 29, 2021, 11:26:20 pm »
i see Keita as one of these players who will thrive in a lesser team but cant handle the pressure of playing for a big club.

he hasnt played since that real madrid game. i do wonder if he failed to carry out the role he was asked to fulfill that night. Klopp hauling him off before half time and not even putting him on as a substitute in any game since seems to suggest that he isnt happy with him

And rightly hauled off, he was dreadful. (As was the whole midfield that half). I’m guessing he has just lost trust in Keita and a few others after all the shit that’s happened this season. Defo not a good sign for Keita for sure.  Not that he’s hasn't been shown a lot of patience though.

Offline RedMan89

• Anny Roader
« Reply #10222 on: April 29, 2021, 11:34:40 pm »
Reminds me of Alberto Aquilani. Everybody was ecstatic when he signed. A player we could see fitting into rafas system straight away. We kept waiting for that day and it never arrived 

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10223 on: April 30, 2021, 12:05:14 am »
Got to be able to get £25m plus for him right? I’d cash in for the sake of the club and the player - the talent is clearly there but for whatever reason it’s not going to work there

As someone said above, invest more time in Jones.

And FSG would release £2m for a replacement. (Including wages,lets not forget the wages)
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #10224 on: April 30, 2021, 12:22:05 am »
particularly his cult-like fan club who continue to live in cloud cuckoo land

The fan club has often annoyed me, but this thread is harsh at the moment. Keita has played far more good games than bad for us, and when injury free has done enough to often be close to breaking into what was the best midfield in the world up until this season.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 06:18:41 am by Bjornar »

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10225 on: April 30, 2021, 06:52:09 am »
As well as the car crash that was Madrid and Villa (where I think he started) our best premier league performances this season had him in the team. Folk have short memories. Or at least they have selective memories. Recently I think he’s been horribly mismanaged by Klopp to be honest. Giving him almost no game time and then starting him vs Madrid was a bizarre call. Guardiola esque.

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
  • Love Firmino, hate bastards
« Reply #10226 on: April 30, 2021, 07:48:22 am »
As well as the car crash that was Madrid and Villa (where I think he started) our best premier league performances this season had him in the team. Folk have short memories. Or at least they have selective memories. Recently I think he’s been horribly mismanaged by Klopp to be honest. Giving him almost no game time and then starting him vs Madrid was a bizarre call. Guardiola esque.
It was a weird call, but since we don't know all the details it's hard to pin this on Klopp. Very hard to blame him for Keita not playing in general, with his injury record and the fact we lacked a consistent XI this season, so changes needed to be scarce.

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10227 on: April 30, 2021, 08:03:23 am »
Time is running out for him now.
Believer

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10228 on: April 30, 2021, 08:46:34 am »
he has been here for some time now but for some reason every time he played or starts it feels like we just signed him...

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #10229 on: April 30, 2021, 09:29:06 am »
I'm okay with whatever happens with Keita in the summer. If he is retained, I'm okay with that. If he is released, I'm okay with that too. I've seen enough with Keita to suggest that if he is past his injuries he can kick on. But I would completely understand if the management team feel it's time to cut their losses and bring in someone new and fresh and likely more robust.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10230 on: April 30, 2021, 11:27:23 am »
He had a good 17/18 season.

Not sure what you mean by it being a mistake not to bring him in sooner, I could have sworn they tried everything they could to bring him over sooner.

I admit, I am done with Keita now, if they can sell him in the summer, I wouldn’t be remotely bothered.

I have no doubts he’s a fantastic player when he’s on his game, seen it enough to know, but what is the point when you can’t even trust a player at all at this point.

whoa....you never give up on players!

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10231 on: April 30, 2021, 12:07:58 pm »

Rubbish. He’d featured in 3 of the 4 games before Real Madrid. 1 90 mins, and 2 decent sub appearnaces (i.e. not just 5 mins at the end). It’s not like he’d suddenly come back from his latest injury and was thrown in cold.

whoa....you never give up on players!

I am usually very patient yes  ;D

Although I am not of the opinion that he’s just not a good player (does that make me part of the cult? Who knows!), and it’s of course just part of football that there is no control over injuries. But such is the pressure to get results and the need to be able to compete on multiple levels, having a talented player that simply can’t be trusted to play (not his fault), is just another burden this squad doesn’t need.   

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10232 on: April 30, 2021, 12:21:42 pm »
Rubbish. He’d featured in 3 of the 4 games before Real Madrid. 1 90 mins, and 2 decent sub appearnaces (i.e. not just 5 mins at the end). It’s not like he’d suddenly come back from his latest injury and was thrown in cold.

I am usually very patient yes  ;D

Although I am not of the opinion that he’s just not a good player (does that make me part of the cult? Who knows!), and it’s of course just part of football that there is no control over injuries. But such is the pressure to get results and the need to be able to compete on multiple levels, having a talented player that simply can’t be trusted to play (not his fault), is just another burden this squad doesn’t need.

OK I've now checked this rather than relying on memory and while 'almost no game time' was an exaggeration he wasn't getting a lot of time. His decent sub appearances were 10 minutes and 23 minutes.
Everton 0 minutes
Sheffield Utd 10 min
Chelsea 0 min
Fulham 90 min
Wolves 23 min
Arsenal 0 minutes

And of course since Madrid he's had 0 minutes, despite being no worse than any of our other CMs in Spain...

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #10233 on: April 30, 2021, 12:22:18 pm »
It was a weird call, but since we don't know all the details it's hard to pin this on Klopp. Very hard to blame him for Keita not playing in general, with his injury record and the fact we lacked a consistent XI this season, so changes needed to be scarce.

Not playing him since Madrid has been really questionable as we've had games / situations which pretty clearly suit him.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10234 on: April 30, 2021, 02:10:24 pm »
Not playing him since Madrid has been really questionable as we've had games / situations which pretty clearly suit him.

Madrid game apparently suited him, many of the ‘experts’ where delighted he was starting, but he was not just poor or rusty or whatever, he was a liability.

Get the feeling that Jürgen Klopp, a coach who has a ridiculous amount of patience, has finally lost it with him, can’t blame him either.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #10235 on: April 30, 2021, 02:20:23 pm »
Madrid game apparently suited him, many of the ‘experts’ where delighted he was starting, but he was not just poor or rusty or whatever, he was a liability.

Get the feeling that Jürgen Klopp, a coach who has a ridiculous amount of patience, has finally lost it with him, can’t blame him either.

I think you could absolutely blame him if this were true but I really doubt it is .. why would you 'finally lose patience' with a player over a bad half of football .. its not like it was his 6th bad half of football on the spin. Finally lose patience is liek something you'd say about a player whose committing error after error or repeatedly not trying in games or something
If he's not training well or hes reacted badly or had a physical problem then those are legit explanations. 'He played badly vs Madrid' isn't. As others have pointed out we couldve written off about 7 of ours if that were the metric 

Offline G a r y

• Sexist Pig. Wants to mate with Dan Bilzerian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #10236 on: April 30, 2021, 02:26:42 pm »
Keita has played far more good games than bad for us
He really hasn't.

Good is being generous. There have been flashes of what he can do but that isn't enough. I've seen more from Curtis Jones this year than I have in three for Keita

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10237 on: April 30, 2021, 02:42:23 pm »
He really hasn't.

Good is being generous. There have been flashes of what he can do but that isn't enough. I've seen more from Curtis Jones this year than I have in three for Keita

The last point isn’t true Is it? Maybe you’re ‘seeing more’ because one is a 20 year old from the youth team and the other is a big money signing but no way you could argue your last point being true, Jones best performance till date is still his showing in the League Cup 2 seasons ago.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #10238 on: April 30, 2021, 03:13:23 pm »
The last point isn’t true Is it? Maybe you’re ‘seeing more’ because one is a 20 year old from the youth team and the other is a big money signing but no way you could argue your last point being true, Jones best performance till date is still his showing in the League Cup 2 seasons ago.

Nonsense. Spurs at home he was majestic. He's got more natural ability in his little toe than Keita.

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #10239 on: April 30, 2021, 03:42:13 pm »
This is what happens when some people want a player moved on, the entire period the player has been at the club is labelled rubbish.