539 (72.8%)
Don't Know
10 (1.4%)
Don't Care
15 (2%)
I don't live in the UK
97 (13.1%)

Total Members Voted: 740

Author Topic: Brexit: "Vultus inanis est et mori in fossa ego sum!"  (Read 1451435 times)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Re: Brexit thread - Rocky Horror Brexit Shitshow Hallowe'en Special!
« Reply #22960 on: May 28, 2019, 08:36:47 am »
All earning probably a lot more money than you ( not bad for an idiot is it ;D

On another note the obsession with some in here about Dave even to the point of quoting his stuff on twitter is so hysterically funny in my opinion, especially as Dave probably doesnt give a shit about what any of you think.

You must be a complete weirdo to become hysterical about someone quoting someone?

What do you do when a lightbulb breaks? Run around in circles screaming? A drop of rain? Pass out? A decision between coffee or tea? Scanners head explosion?
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #22961 on: May 28, 2019, 08:44:57 am »
All earning probably a lot more money than you ( not bad for an idiot is it ;D

On another note the obsession with some in here about Dave even to the point of quoting his stuff on twitter is so hysterically funny in my opinion, especially as Dave probably doesnt give a shit about what any of you think.

You must be a complete weirdo to become hysterical about someone quoting someone?

What do you do when a lightbulb breaks? Run around in circles screaming? A drop of rain? Pass out? A decision between coffee or tea? Scanners head explosion?
I think you will find though the obsessional actions are only going one way in here cant have him not keeping in line with the RAWK elite can we  ;)

RAWK Elite? I'm hoping you were pissed/high when you wrote that.

Talk us through that one? If you're complaining that people don't like Corbyn - then please let me know why we should? He's divided and wrecked the Labour Party. He demanded article 50 be declared ahead of any other politician. He's whipped his party to vote for a Tory Brexit, then sat in talks with them. Then he's sat on the fence being a fucking bellend and let the Far Right arseholes do what the fuck they want. He's become involved with and approved of all the name calling "Traitor", "Enemies of the people", "Sovereignty", "Will of the People" and all the other shite. He's alienated and made toxic even the idea of Labour and probably screwed any chance of getting rid of the Tories in the next generation at least. He's been an absolute and complete disaster as 'leader' of the Labour Party.

WHY do you like him? What actualy tangiable good has he done?

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #22962 on: May 28, 2019, 08:51:24 am »
That’s easy..

He’s anti capitalist, anti nuclear weapons, pro state control/ownership. That’s fair enough.  Not the right way forward in my mind, but I fully understand the appeal of those policies.  I have absolutely no problem with people being attracted on those terms. I have a problem with what he also is....
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22963 on: May 28, 2019, 08:57:01 am »
Hunt has come out against no deal... that’s interesting

I had assumed that all the candidates would be swivel eyed leave at all cost merchants.  It will of course lose him the vote.

Hunt is a bit like Gove.  A pretty foul person, but ran things to their brief quite well (sadly is his brief was to impose dreadful cuts on the NHS).
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #22964 on: May 28, 2019, 09:04:25 am »
Said Before that Brexit would impact on working people more than any other...Labours role is to protect Working people against the engrained right wing estalishment in the UK..(Brexit would /will st rengthen their hand)...so instead of standing for working people and making taking an unanbigous stance for Remain and contiue with it ,Labour fell between so many stools of policy , ideology and voting patterns..it failed ..has failed...and any leader should take the wrap for that ( Regardless of sympathise to their views)..Corbyn failed.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22965 on: May 28, 2019, 09:08:23 am »

I had assumed that all the candidates would be swivel eyed leave at all cost merchants.  It will of course lose him the vote.

Hunt is a bit like Gove.  A pretty foul person, but ran things to their brief quite well (sadly is his brief was to impose dreadful cuts on the NHS).

Yep. For me anyone but Hunt. He is suitably evil and competent enough to dismantle everything yet stay in post. Some of the others would die on their feet.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #22966 on: May 28, 2019, 09:25:55 am »
Thanks. So I assume open skies to fly to the USA is ok as well with the USA.
Reading some of the EUs contingency plans for a no deal doesn't paint a good picture, more like keeping the basics going rather than keeping things as they are. they will have us by the balls and they know it. they are in a different league to our politicians.

Air connectivity and safety: these two measures will ensure basic air connectivity in order to avoid full interruption of air traffic between the EU and the UK in the event of a “no-deal” scenario.

Road connectivity: allows for the continuation of safe basic road connectivity between the EU and the UK for a limited period of time, provided that the UK gives reciprocal treatment to EU companies and operators.

Rail connectivity: ensures the validity of safety authorisations for certain parts of rail infrastructure for a strictly limited period of three months to allow long-term solutions in line with EU law to be put in place. This is, in particular, related to the Channel Tunnel and will be conditional on the United Kingdom maintaining safety standards identical to EU requirements.

No way will the more ardent Brexiters let the EU continue to allow their unelected bureaucrats  impose their nasty rules on us. We won the war you know.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #22967 on: May 28, 2019, 09:44:41 am »

Talk us through that one? If you're complaining that people don't like Corbyn - then please let me know why we should? He's divided and wrecked the Labour Party. He demanded article 50 be declared ahead of any other politician. He's whipped his party to vote for a Tory Brexit, then sat in talks with them. Then he's sat on the fence being a fucking bellend and let the Far Right arseholes do what the fuck they want. He's become involved with and approved of all the name calling "Traitor", "Enemies of the people", "Sovereignty", "Will of the People" and all the other shite. He's alienated and made toxic even the idea of Labour and probably screwed any chance of getting rid of the Tories in the next generation at least. He's been an absolute and complete disaster as 'leader' of the Labour Party.

Corbyn is "left wing" (whatever that means), unlike the centrists.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22968 on: May 28, 2019, 10:04:29 am »
Good summary from Chris Grey:
http://chrisgreybrexitblog.blogspot.com
I love the anger beneath the logical, evidential analysis:
"It can only be a matter of national shame to be represented in such numbers by this motley ragbag of freaks, demagogues, fantasists and charlatans, elected with no manifesto and with no care for, or even understanding of, the damage their faux-patriotism will do to our country."

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #22969 on: May 28, 2019, 10:04:30 am »
Yeah, I think the EU know our politicians intend to point the finger of blame at the EU for serious disruption but they know behind the scenes they will be able to threaten the UK to pull these temporary arrangements if we don't play ball.

No change there all politicians when it suited put the blame on the EU for their own actions.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22970 on: May 28, 2019, 10:10:21 am »

Coming from a serial thread starter who got annoyed when someone started one without him you are as always funny even if you dont realise it, oh and by the way the elite comment was sarcasm shame you missed it.
As for Corbyn i quit the party a few weeks ago so you are a bit out of date fella.

My point was the obsession with some about Dave to the point they even monitor what he puts on twitter so they can post it in here, to do that seems a bit sad to me but different strokes etc.

As you might remember as well i dont drink anymore,  so i will leave the pissed up posts to you fella.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22971 on: May 28, 2019, 10:14:39 am »
Right off to the allotment now, if nothing else this place reminds me i need to pick up some more manure on the way.

( Andy that is admittedly a poor joke but a joke nonetheless, please dont get hysterical about it)

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #22972 on: May 28, 2019, 11:28:16 am »
I see Nandy and De Piero have been banging the usual drum that moving to support a confirmatory referendum is suicide.

I actually won't argue with them that it isn't going to play well with a lot of voters in their seats, but in case they haven't noticed the current plan to try and please both sides by being as vague as possible and occassionally talking about a a magical Labour Brexit is going down like a bucket of cold sick as well

In a public debate which is increasingly polarising into No Deal v Referendum, there isn't much choice but to pick a side, and for anyone who gives a shit about this country it should be a pretty easy side to pick.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 12:07:32 pm by filopastry »

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #22973 on: May 28, 2019, 11:36:28 am »
Good summary from Chris Grey:
http://chrisgreybrexitblog.blogspot.com
I love the anger beneath the logical, evidential analysis:
"It can only be a matter of national shame to be represented in such numbers by this motley ragbag of freaks, demagogues, fantasists and charlatans, elected with no manifesto and with no care for, or even understanding of, the damage their faux-patriotism will do to our country."

Thanks for posting, an excellent read

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22974 on: May 28, 2019, 11:44:23 am »
I see Nandy and De Piero have been banging the usual drum that moving to support a confirmatory referendum is suicide.

I actually won't argue with them that it isn't going to play well with a lot of voters in their seats, but in case they haven't noticed the current plan to try and please both sides by being as vague as possible and occassionally talking about a a magical Labour Brexit is going down like a bucket of cold sick as well

In a public debate which is increasingly polarising into No Deal v Referendum, there isn't much choice but to pick a side, and for anyone who gives a shit about this country it should be a pretty side to pick.

Corbyn isn't the answer for Labour but the likes of Nandy, Del Piero, Snell, Flint etc certainly aren't either. There's quite a few Labour MPs I'd happily see lose their seats. Replace them with new candidates in those seats who aren't OK with letting their constituents wallow in ignorance.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22975 on: May 28, 2019, 12:16:41 pm »
The contingency plans, and discussing whether they'll be needed come Halloween, are a direct result of what Saunders describes. Would be surprised if the EU did much of anything to increase tension. Its focus will be on Ireland and waiting out the British government trying to explain why it hadn't warned leavers about the downsides to the great patriotic adventure. The EU will keep offering the Withdrawal Agreement as a way out and pointing out that they respect the British sovereign decision to torch our own economy, turn Kent into a lorry park, and pay more for everyday things.

Agree that a 'no confidence' motion would be likely if Parliament is sitting at the time. Not sure where that lands us if we don't have an effective government at the end of the 2 weeks and we're still before the deadline.
I think many people are just assuming there will be no GE as it's like Turkeys voting for xmas. I think thats true but it's not as simple as it seems.
The nutty leave MPs will be demanding the PM takes us out in October.
The Tory MPs against a no deal know this won't save them from a backlash when chaos hits, Frottage will be stirring the s,,, good style, how they never prepared properly, how they were awful negotiators who have landed us in a right mess.
I think a no deal will result in a GE within months.
The Tory MPs will tell the nutty leave this, they are not bluffing, no deal and they are f.. anyway and probably a lot sooner than any backlash for having another extension. the numbers are all ready their for this to happen. only takes a few Tory MPs. I think 4 have already stated they would be prepared to support a no confidence vote if the PM refuses to ask for a extension. there are more as well I imagine. assuming all Labour MPs support the no confidence vote of course.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22976 on: May 28, 2019, 12:17:06 pm »
De Piero and Nandy are chatting utter shite. A deal between Labour and the Tories has been tried and thats without a more hardline Brexiteer in charge. Its typical of MP’s like those and Kinnock, Jarvis, Flint etc. to keep banging on the deal drum where nothing is forthcoming.

I am not a fan of a second referendum at all and I certainly will be dead against it if No Deal is on the ballot paper. But beside that and a general election, they have no options.

Also Nandy can piss off with her call of needing to listen more to Wigan electorates than Islington.

Offline gemofabird

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22977 on: May 28, 2019, 12:17:41 pm »

Hmm, and you believe him? Wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.
The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22978 on: May 28, 2019, 02:25:10 pm »
P&O seeks £33m in damages over Brexit ferry settlement

P&O Ferries is seeking almost £33m in damages from the government over its handling of a challenge to ferry contracts under a no-deal Brexit.

The British-based shipping company also wants courts to cancel the Department for Transport's settlement with Eurotunnel, and impose civil penalties.

In March, the DfT agreed to pay £33m to Eurotunnel, after the cross-channel operator sued for not being considered for a no-deal Brexit freight contract.

The DfT said it acted appropriately.

As part of the agreement with Eurotunnel, the French company was mandated to spend £33m of taxpayers' money on improvements to the infrastructure of its terminal in Folkestone.

P&O's lawyers claim that this stipulation amounts to a public contract, and that the £33m settlement "was not, and could not be, a genuine estimate of Eurotunnel's alleged losses".

It says that such an agreement, which includes building work, "could only lawfully have been entered into following a duly advertised and competitive tender process".

P&O has also sought a judicial review into the actions of the DfT, which is run by Chris Grayling, and claims that the settlement amounts to a subsidy for Eurotunnel.

This, P&O argues, would be unlawful state aid.

In court filings, P&O cites a note from a joint government statement on the day that the Eurotunnel settlement was announced, which reads: "We have agreed to support a series of measures that will ease the pressure and minimise disruption, at our EU borders, as well as improve security."

P&O argues that those concerns "manifestly do not justify expenditure solely at Eurotunnel's terminal… but apply to and justify similar expenditure at the terminals and for facilities of Eurotunnel's Short Sea competitors".

Procurement expert and former government lawyer Andrew Dean, of Clifford Chance LLP, told the BBC that P&O was seeking to "rip up the settlement agreement".

The shipping company argues that the DfT had "contracted Eurotunnel to provide the UK government with £33m worth of infrastructure-related works or services, which should have been put out to tender in accordance with public procurement rules".

If P&O's case is successful, the government could also face challenges from construction and facilities management companies, which might have bid for the work at Eurotunnel's terminal if there had been a tender process.

The pool of potential claimants would then be much wider than just ports, rail and ferry companies.

Earlier this month, following the extension of the Brexit deadline to 31 October, the DfT cancelled its contracts with Brittany Ferries and DFDS to provide extra ferry services in the event that Britain left the EU without a deal.

The cancellations came just months after the DfT was forced to scrap a contract with a third provider, the ferryless Seaborne Freight, which could have cost the taxpayer more than £50m.

Should the government need to revive those contracts in the run-up to the new Brexit date, its Eurotunnel settlement could provide a further stumbling block.

A copy of the settlement agreement seen by the BBC contains a stipulation that the government "will not enter into any contracts to secure additional freight capacity in the form of a contract with a new provider, or an extension of the volumes and/or routes currently procured with Brittany Ferries and DFDS".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48377236

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22979 on: May 28, 2019, 03:20:11 pm »
P&O seeks £33m in damages over Brexit ferry settlement

How much was that Brexit dividend again?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #22980 on: May 28, 2019, 03:26:04 pm »
Why are MPs saying now we need a people vote. But what will the people be voting on there is no deal and doesn't look likely that one will be passed to be voted on. they really mean a 2nd referendum but don't want to say it. A real peoples vote is a general election. 

The Tories will soon be for leaving without a deal, Seems to me the only way we can leave the EU with a deal is with a Labour Government and for that to happen we need a general election.

The problem is that Corbyn has only said he wants it through gritted teeth and I doubt very much he'll allow Remain to be an option.

So it's a bit worthless - he and the Tories want a referendum (if any!) on the delivering of Brexit - ie) how - What deal or no deal..

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #22981 on: May 28, 2019, 03:28:55 pm »
Right off to the allotment now, if nothing else this place reminds me i need to pick up some more manure on the way.

( Andy that is admittedly a poor joke but a joke nonetheless, please dont get hysterical about it)

Gosh!

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22982 on: May 28, 2019, 03:44:21 pm »
Hmm, and you believe him? Wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.
No, not necessarily.  But it’s interesting to see how they pitch themselves.
W

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #22983 on: May 28, 2019, 05:17:44 pm »
I think many people are just assuming there will be no GE as it's like Turkeys voting for xmas. I think thats true but it's not as simple as it seems.
The nutty leave MPs will be demanding the PM takes us out in October.
The Tory MPs against a no deal know this won't save them from a backlash when chaos hits,Frottage will be stirring the s,,, good style, how they never prepared properly, how they were awful negotiators who have landed us in a right mess.
I think a no deal will result in a GE within months.
The Tory MPs will tell the nutty leave this, they are not bluffing, no deal and they are f.. anyway and probably a lot sooner than any backlash for having another extension. the numbers are all ready their for this to happen. only takes a few Tory MPs. I think 4 have already stated they would be prepared to support a no confidence vote if the PM refuses to ask for a extension. there are more as well I imagine. assuming all Labour MPs support the no confidence vote of course.

Oh aye. Thing is though that to have a general election to stop 'no deal' means having the confidence vote on 2nd September at the latest. That could well be the day Parliament gets back from its summer recess. So anything later is going to need an extension to hold an election (and if an extension was likely there'd be no need to trigger an election) or some smart footwork to patch together a government able to revoke Article 50. Assuming the Tory government doesn't act itself to facilitate things.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22984 on: May 28, 2019, 05:26:09 pm »
The EU must know a GE is pointless?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #22985 on: May 28, 2019, 06:08:29 pm »
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/brexit-finance-impact-new-york-london-city-economy-duff-phelps-a8933101.html

Brexit fallout sees New York overtake London as top financial centre, according to survey

London is losing its status as the world’s most important financial centre to New York because of the Brexit crisis, according to a global survey of executives.

The British capital fell 17 per cent on last year when bosses were asked to name the world's top financial centre, with New York rising 10 per cent.

For the research, consultants Duff & Phelps asked 180 senior figures in asset management, private equity, hedge funds, banking and brokerage.

Some 52 per cent said New York, up 10 per cent from last year, while 36 per cent said London, down 17 per cent from 2018. European centres including Dublin, Frankfurt and Luxembourg also saw higher rankings in this year’s Global Regulatory Outlook survey.

Looking ahead five years, only 21 per cent of respondents expected London to be the world’s financial centre, with 44 per cent predicting it would be New York. Some 12 per cent said Hong Kong, up from 3 per cent last year.

a statement, Duff & Phelps said: “Last year, Brexit cast a shadow of uncertainty over the United Kingdom’s economy; it has now escalated to a full-blown crisis.

“Looking ahead, however, globalisation’s diffusion of influence begins to be apparent: 12 per cent of respondents expect Hong Kong to be the world’s preeminent financial centre five years from now.”

The survey questioned financial executives in countries including Britain, the United States, Hong Kong, Ireland, Singapore and Luxembourg.

Brexit has already been delayed from its expected date of 29 March, with a new deadline of 31 October. Continued uncertainty over future trading arrangements has prompted some banks, asset managers and insurers to trigger contingency plans.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22986 on: May 28, 2019, 07:32:33 pm »
The problem is that Corbyn has only said he wants it through gritted teeth and I doubt very much he'll allow Remain to be an option.

So it's a bit worthless - he and the Tories want a referendum (if any!) on the delivering of Brexit - ie) how - What deal or no deal..

If No Deal is on the ticket then Revoke also has to be on the ticket.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #22987 on: May 28, 2019, 07:46:59 pm »

You'd certainly think so, but I think we might all be surprised.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22988 on: May 28, 2019, 08:07:18 pm »
Sadly, I suspect free unicorns for all to be on there too.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22989 on: May 28, 2019, 08:15:59 pm »
Oh aye. Thing is though that to have a general election to stop 'no deal' means having the confidence vote on 2nd September at the latest. That could well be the day Parliament gets back from its summer recess. So anything later is going to need an extension to hold an election (and if an extension was likely there'd be no need to trigger an election) or some smart footwork to patch together a government able to revoke Article 50. Assuming the Tory government doesn't act itself to facilitate things.
Well if we know that now then something will have to be done about the long Summer recess. I think this is more about parliament forcing the Tory PM to ask for a extension and the PM refusing. surely something can be done as we can only leave the EU if it conforms with our Parliamentary laws.
The PM would be breaking these laws. it's also the threat of supporting this no confidence vote. will the Tories back down if they know the Tory MPs against a no deal will carry out their threat and support a no confidence vote.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22990 on: May 28, 2019, 09:50:16 pm »
Spanish PM tells me EU countries are united. There will be no #Brexit renegotiation whatever candidates for Conservative Party leadership now say

https://twitter.com/BBCkatyaadler/status/1133395727877574657

EU Commission Chief Juncker told me he’s meeting Theresa May this afternoon and that he’s been ‘Crystal clear there will be no renegotiation’ of the #Brexit deal

https://twitter.com/BBCkatyaadler/status/1133395356589412352

Xavier Bettel, Luxembourg prime minister tells me there’ll be no #Brexit renegotiation. He said “That would be too easy: change the UK Prime Minister, change the Brexit deal. That’s not how it’s going to work”

https://twitter.com/BBCkatyaadler/status/1133396422794063873

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22991 on: May 28, 2019, 10:31:11 pm »
I do wonder if a new PM could offer something in the WA that the EU really want if they would be so hard on their stance. Quite what the fuck we could offer them is beyond me.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22992 on: May 28, 2019, 10:42:04 pm »

Wait....

You’re telling me that 27 countries united have more over than one by itself?

Crikey. That’s come as a real surprise I must say. We’ve all been hoodwinked I tell you!
W

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #22993 on: May 28, 2019, 10:45:51 pm »
Well if we know that now then something will have to be done about the long Summer recess. I think this is more about parliament forcing the Tory PM to ask for a extension and the PM refusing. surely something can be done as we can only leave the EU if it conforms with our Parliamentary laws.
The PM would be breaking these laws. it's also the threat of supporting this no confidence vote. will the Tories back down if they know the Tory MPs against a no deal will carry out their threat and support a no confidence vote.

Bercow was sounding off today about not thinking it right that Parliament couldn't have a say in things, and that the decision to invoke Article 50 wasn't open to being rethought. It's the vehicle to do that which is the problem.

Hear you on problems caused etc. If a PM really wanted to do it, they'd probably use emergency powers (eg Civil Contingencies Act) to get round a fair bit. All a bit bonkers.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22994 on: May 28, 2019, 10:46:03 pm »
I do wonder if a new PM could offer something in the WA that the EU really want if they would be so hard on their stance. Quite what the fuck we could offer them is beyond me.

Gibraltar for Spain and the Channel Islands for France and something for Germany? Maybe that aircraft carrier we have - the new one that we forgot to order the aircraft for  -  or maybe they'll take the Royal Family back?
:D

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #22995 on: May 28, 2019, 10:58:25 pm »
Wait....

You’re telling me that 27 countries united have more over than one by itself?

Crikey. That’s come as a real surprise I must say. We’ve all been hoodwinked I tell you!

Well. That's a fine turn of events, I must say.

That jolly nice Mr. Frottage, dapper Mr. Rees-Mogg and Mr. NastyButDim never mentioned this?

Surely there must be some mistake? The might of the EU must be trembling with terror at the actions of one stupid country that only accounts for 8% of its trading total compared with us which is about 50%

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22996 on: May 29, 2019, 01:53:13 am »

All about the backstop of course. nope, it's not open to renegotiation unless we change all our red lines to do away with the backstop. not going to happen so forget it, the WA is not up for renegotiation.
               Emily Maitlis

Online Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #22997 on: May 29, 2019, 11:15:47 am »
Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson to go on  trial for being a lying bastard.  In this particular instance it's about the £350m Brexit Bus

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/boris-johnson-trial-brexit-court-lying-prosecution-nhs-vote-leave-a8934451.html
Believer

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #22998 on: May 29, 2019, 11:45:55 am »
Why are MPs saying now we need a people vote. But what will the people be voting on there is no deal and doesn't look likely that one will be passed to be voted on. they really mean a 2nd referendum but don't want to say it. A real peoples vote is a general election. 

The Tories will soon be for leaving without a deal, Seems to me the only way we can leave the EU with a deal is with a Labour Government and for that to happen we need a general election.

So Labour is still committed to leaving the EU? Once the UK has left the EU any future Tory Government can tear up any Labour deal. So a General Election will be fought by Labour, the Tories and the  Brexit Party as leave parties and anyone wanting to remain will vote for the Lb Dems.

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22999 on: May 29, 2019, 11:49:32 am »
Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson to go on  trial for being a lying bastard. In this particular instance it's about the £350m Brexit Bus

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/boris-johnson-trial-brexit-court-lying-prosecution-nhs-vote-leave-a8934451.html
I am all for due process and all that, but surely in this instance we can/should just jump to sentencing.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.