Author Topic: James Pearce(Echo) on the transfer committee  (Read 147764 times)

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
Re: James Pearce(Echo) on the transfer committee
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2014, 04:32:55 pm »
Pearce's take is rather sympathetic to Rodgers. Castles' is less so...http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2296954-inside-line-liverpools-transfer-committee-has-been-a-spectacular-failure.

I'm not advocating for one over the other, but it should probably be noted.

Duncan Castles can kiss my grits....  veto power is not the same thing as being able to bring in the talent he wants....

And the tone is one of trying to pin blame more on Rodgers without much explanation or admission that the TC has struggled with its role since it has more power to affect policy than Rodgers alone.    Let me reiterate, this does not absolve BR of his errors, but getting some context to what they actually are would be nice for us.   

I get tired of seeing the Rodgers backlash --- of him being selfish, cutting of Borini for personal reasons, and Reina freeze out stuff in  particular are toxic memes with maybe a few unsubstantiated claims...
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 04:57:58 pm by Trendisnotdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline alvaro

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2014, 04:33:12 pm »
This is some depressing stuff, specially the part where FSG has already lined up other managers, the only positive I can get is that at least they are sensible enough to wait until the season is over.

Offline NealFrom25Yards

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2014, 04:33:13 pm »
I'll take it straight from the horses mouth - oh and both of these were James Pearce articles too.  :) Funny how he could do a total 180 in a matter of months. It's almost like somebody wanted the credit when the going was good, and wants none of it when it's not so good.

May 2013
“There is absolutely no way a player will come in here if I don’t want him,”

“I will always be the first person it comes to. That’s not being arrogant, that’s how we operate here and how it works in this country.

“Abroad it works differently where you have a coach and the club will bring in the players. The coach then works with the players he’s given.

“A lot has been made of it but the fact is the process that happens here is no different to what happens at other English clubs.

“We have a number of people, scouting staff and analysts, who will look for targets who fit the profile of the players that we want.

“Then I will sit down with those guys, look at those targets and make a shortlist from that.

“All that work that goes on is of great help to me. We identify players, gather all the information we possibly can and then if they’re right for what we need it comes down to whether they are affordable and available.

“I know the club will go and do the best it can to get the players we want. But it’s very clear that anyone we sign will be because I want him here.”

May 2014
Brendan Rodgers has praised the work of Liverpool FC’s transfer committee as the manager reiterated he will have the final say on all signings this summer.

“The principle idea when I first came in was that like any manager you will have the first call on a player and the last call.

“That’s the call on whether he’s good enough to continue to look at and try to organise a deal and the last call to say yes or no.

“We will never bring in a player here who the manager doesn’t want in. That’s a great credit to the owners and the other people at the club.

“We work very closely together – it’s worth stressing that. It’s key that we are very much one club.

Not to mention the quotes thus year about all our signings being 'first choice'. In fact, we apparently 'had our pick'.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2014, 04:33:23 pm »
Rodgers refuses to work with a DOF but wants to work with TC

Yeah that makes sense.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2014, 04:33:32 pm »
Fuck off Transfer Committee!  :wanker

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2014, 04:33:45 pm »
The sale of senior players on big wages and the signings that BR made this season were not totally his choice, but the committee's.

Really hard to believe this going by some of the comments of those that left.

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2014, 04:34:03 pm »
There is a lot of conjecture flying around currently. I fear this may fall on deaf ears but it's very important to take everything, including this, with a pinch of salt. Journalists have allegiances.

Yeah, but this is what happens when a club is in crisis. People start trying to protect themselves by leaking their side, which escalates to knifing other people in the back via leaks.
Then the big papers start running with the stuff, 1000 other ex players and the like pop up. Cecil and Comolli will be giving some sound bites.
This gets uglier and uglier. Unless we start winning, then it goes away, but people are naive if they think we can just ride this out keep losing games and write off the season.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2014, 04:37:11 pm »
Yeah, but this is what happens when a club is in crisis. People start trying to protect themselves by leaking their side, which escalates to knifing other people in the back via leaks.
Then the big papers start running with the stuff, 1000 other ex players and the like pop up. Cecil and Comolli will be giving some sound bites.
This gets uglier and uglier. Unless we start winning, then it goes away, but people are naive if they think we can just ride this out keep losing games and write off the season.

Exactly, regardless of who is right, it's clear that stuff is getting leaked from all sides as they rush to turn the backlash onto the others.

John Henry needs to get off his arse in Boston, fly over, sit everybody down, and fix the system at this club, because it's incredibly clear that it's not working.
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline JJ Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2014, 04:37:39 pm »
Wonder who's on the committee?

I can't see why Rodgers would agree to such a model and why, when his stock was at its highest, he didn't throw his weight around to get the players he actually wanted or at least asked for more control.

Balotelli? Yeah, that stinks of a committee 'moneyball' decision.

I think the idea of a transfer committee is sound but obviously everyone needs to be on the same page about what we actually want i.e. a team strategy rather than trying to prove how clever we are with financial stuff on underated players.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2014, 04:37:52 pm »
Too many cooks...

I would've thought smart people would've known that one.

Brendan's really been hung out to dry despite wanting to avoid this exact situation.
That Transfer Committe-bullshit was a really sneaky move.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2014, 04:37:59 pm »
Exactly what most of the sane supporters have been suspecting for a while. FSG restrictions are crippling the club moving forward.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2014, 04:38:01 pm »
Would be nice for the club and/or Rodgers to come out and clear up the process.

I know Rodgers has 'cleared it up' twice already, but maybe a third might just sort it out.

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2014, 04:38:34 pm »
Nothing story and probably launched by the usual suspects just that this time the manager himself seems to be involved to deflact from his managing mistakes and some players not being good enough anymore despite having their position regardless.

I am glad that this comitee overruled Rodgers if Lallana, Lambert and Lovren were to be his signings with a combined 40m+.

Balotelli was a good signing, it just doesn't suit to some players style and for that their position is in question.

People may flame me but well in FSG, cannot believe that people are so naive to believe every story launched.

The squad is good, very good, excuses are lined up for protection the wrong people.. FSG, wake up and smell the coffee.

Just because you don't agree with a story doesn't make it untrue.

I suspect it's not all down to the committee (as someone said earlier some of the players we missed out on were not due to us not being prepared to pay the money), but even if half of that is true, it's a bit worrying.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 04:40:29 pm by Rob Dylan »

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2014, 04:39:06 pm »
Sig chose Spurs over us. You're having a guess with regards to Eriksen.

Ince and Bony to do with money? News to me.

Kono I'll sort of give you but at the end of the day we paid the price they were happy with and the deal would of gone through if their owner wasn't a bit of a dick.

Salah was definitely money, be it the fee or the agents fee which was rumoured to be pretty large.

Spurs offered higher wages to Sigurdsson so he went there. Regardless of whether you think we did the right thing or not, he went there because we didn't compete with Spurs offer - money.

Ince we wouldn't pay a fee Blackpool were happy with. As above, not necessarily the wrong decision but it's a player we didn't sign because of money.

Bony it was reported in the summer was too expensive for our liking. How's that not down to money?

It just seems we're missing out on a good amount of players that Rodgers wants, and we end up with players he doesn't seem to particularly trust, or think are good enough. There's a massive issue there.

I don't have an issue with the money FSG are prepared to spend - it's the money that the committee are prepared to spend that I'm talking about. Rodgers is the one who'll get sacked if it goes wrong (which auto sets us back a good 'un) so why not go the full whack and let him get the players he wants?

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2014, 04:39:24 pm »
Sort of puts Rodgers quote after yesterdays game “But I don’t think, with the players we have, we could have done any more " into perspective, doesn't it.

Not really no.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2014, 04:40:00 pm »
I'll take it straight from the horses mouth - oh and both of these were James Pearce articles too.  :) Funny how he could do a total 180 in a matter of months. It's almost like somebody wanted the credit when the going was good, and wants none of it when it's not so good.

Ooh contradictions. Who to believe, the manager or a journalist? Where to direct my ire now?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2014, 04:40:20 pm »
Well, there it is.  Confirmation if it were needed.  And lends weight to what a fair few if not the majority of us have suspected for some time, and refers also to what's becoming a mega thread started by Timbo.  Hardly a surprise but painful to read nonetheless.  Sack the whole lot of that committee off.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2014, 04:40:55 pm »
Well, there it is.  Confirmation if it were needed.  And lends weight to what a fair few if not the majority of us have suspected for some time, and refers also to what's becoming a mega thread started by Timbo.  Hardly a surprise but painful to read nonetheless.  Sack the whole lot of that committee off.

And yet Rodgers has said exactly the opposite.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2014, 04:41:27 pm »

Twice.

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2014, 04:41:40 pm »
It's all getting very messy.

13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2014, 04:41:49 pm »
There is a lot of conjecture flying around currently. I fear this may fall on deaf ears but it's very important to take everything, including this, with a pinch of salt. Journalists have allegiances.

Can you be more specific, this is a very specific instruction (to be cautious) with a very vague ending (of whom)?  Pearce, Castles all of them?
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2014, 04:42:10 pm »

Rodgers regularly lies to the media
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2014, 04:42:15 pm »
I don't know what to believe right now
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline redraf

• Main Stander
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2014, 04:42:23 pm »
"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters.
Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

William Shankly OBE

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2014, 04:42:57 pm »
so sturridge was rogers signing and the rest are all the committees?
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2014, 04:43:55 pm »
This isn't news, the committee has been at odds with itself since day one.

The committee is there to serve the owners, and see through their vision, not the managers.

Offline RichardM

• should be revising rather than whining on here
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2014, 04:43:56 pm »

Can you be more specific, this is a very specific instruction (to be cautious) with a very vague ending (of whom)?  Pearce, Castles all of them?

Well I said everything, therefore I meant everything of this sort. Supposed 'inside knowledge' from ALL journalists.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2014, 04:45:02 pm »
It's all getting very messy.

I hope so. Cause only then, the club has a chance to recover.

Millions over millions spent by the likes of Hodgson and even Kenny on mediocre players and avoiding to sign quality in order to secure a cut for certain agents and to protect the comfort zone and power of some people within.

FSG are no mugs, they realised this early and refused to give the manager full control after the Carroll, Downing, Adam distaster and when looking at Rodgers players to be wanted, Lallana, Lambert and Lovren they were right.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 04:47:11 pm by steveeastend »
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2014, 04:45:03 pm »

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2014, 04:45:10 pm »
Twice.

Rodgers said we categorically weren't signing a player. Weeks later he magically ends up on our door-step with Rodgers talking about it being a massive gamble. Almost like he didn't want him but was left with no other choice by der committee. Strange.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2014, 04:45:26 pm »
Panic..panic...lol

Have any of you/us been in committee meetings?

Of course various, in this case, players names will be on the board based on position. Every summer we're linked with 80-100 names. Players will be "rated". Rodgers will have a list of, i'll guess here, 10-20 names in a priority. We'll send out feelers to other clubs, agents, and players on the list.

Then it becomes dependent on negotiating the deal.

We won't always get our first choice, hence Rodgers didn't get this player or that and the silly rumors of the player being a transfer committee signing. And people fall for it.

Most of all FSG fully understand this.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2014, 04:46:00 pm »
If this is true I'd have to take back quite a bit of what I've said earlier today about Rodger's role in transfers, and am happy to.

What I will say however is this situation is much fucking worse than one bloke fucking up - we're going fucking nowhere fast if this is how we do transfers. Sounds like a total fucking mess with no one - least of all us mugs - left happy.
Is correct mate, and few people need to look at themselves when slating Rodgers. He`s making mistakes, but it now seems alot of whats going on is out of his control.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2014, 04:46:23 pm »

Thank you. At least one sane fan who puts this into context..
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2014, 04:47:00 pm »
Really hard to believe this going by some of the comments of those that left.

No it makes sense.
Rodgers doesn't think Agger is a 1st team regular anymore. That is his decision as the coach, right or wrong. He says he wants Lovren 'cause he is the dog's bollocks.
TC says but we will have too many 1st choice CDs. So Rodgers says OK, he will be a backup. TC says 'on over 100k a week you're having a laugh. You want Lovren we sell Agger.'
Same with Pepe, more than the letter, it was we are not paying a wage that would still be in the top 3 or 4 keepers in the league for a backup.
It may also explain why he plays the shit out of Johnson, he was a high wage earner, who Rodgers' wanted to keep at the club, there was zero chance of that if he wasnt a nailed on regular, even then the TC, rightly in this case, offered a much lower wage with the new contract offer.
None of this is new, just our fucked up handling of it. I remember reading when Newcastle signed Beardsley back in the day, they lied to the chairman about his age otherwise he wouldn't have OKed the fee and wages.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2014, 04:47:16 pm »
Is it true as well as being our hopeless chief negotiator, Ayre is also actually on the transfer committee?

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2014, 04:47:34 pm »
Is correct mate, and few people need to look at themselves when slating Rodgers. He`s making mistakes, but it now seems alot of whats going on is out of his control.

This is basically how I feel as well. What a mess.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2014, 04:48:13 pm »
Rodgers said we categorically weren't signing a player. Weeks later he magically ends up on our door-step with Rodgers talking about it being a massive gamble. Almost like he didn't want him but was left with no other choice by der committee. Strange.

I'm sure if you asked him today if we're signing Messi in Jan he'd say we are not, but if Barca turn round to us and offer us him for a low amount and Messi tells us he wants to come here then I'm fairly certain we'd sign him.

When it comes to transfers nothing is really that strange.

Pearce himself, the guy who everyone is so happy to believe now, even reported at the time that Rodgers wasn't lying and the deal wasn't happening and then he suddenly became available.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2014, 04:50:47 pm »
No it makes sense.
Rodgers doesn't think Agger is a 1st team regular anymore. That is his decision as the coach, right or wrong. He says he wants Lovren 'cause he is the dog's bollocks.
TC says but we will have too many 1st choice CDs. So Rodgers says OK, he will be a backup. TC says 'on over 100k a week you're having a laugh. You want Lovren we sell Agger.'
Same with Pepe, more than the letter, it was we are not paying a wage that would still be in the top 3 or 4 keepers in the league for a backup.
It may also explain why he plays the shit out of Johnson, he was a high wage earner, who Rodgers' wanted to keep at the club, there was zero chance of that if he wasnt a nailed on regular, even then the TC, rightly in this case, offered a much lower wage with the new contract offer.

Manager being told he can't have 2 players earning over £200k a week on the bench shocker.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2014, 04:51:33 pm »
Oh?  Sounded to me a subtle remark that he isn't really happy with the cards being dealt i.e. did the best with what he has

Could also be read as did the best with the injuries we have.

Like everything, you could probably read into it a million ways depending what you're view point is.

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2014, 04:51:57 pm »
Rodgers has a veto option on all signings. He didn't use it for Balotelli as it was him or nothing. The players we miss out on doesn't bother me. I'm more interested in the ones we actually bring in. If you have a stable base to build from, you can afford to miss out on 2,3,4 players for money reasons as long as you eventually get in 1 or 2 quality players.

The exception to this is when you lose a world class player for a humongous fee. In that case, ONE replacement needs to be identified and brought in at any cost. We had an advantage on the Sanchez deal as he was at the self same club we were selling to. Should have offered him what he wanted and snapped him up long before Arsenal came into the picture. Apart from that, I wouldn't blame the Committee for much. Lovren, Lallana, Lambert were disappointing signings for me, and somehow I have this sneaky suspicion they had more to do with Rodgers than the TC.