Author Topic: The Balkan Express XI Draft  (Read 30766 times)

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Balkan Express XI Draft
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2019, 03:48:42 am »
Gone all day tomorrow in a car. 

Any way you can post the draft order so we can research and then plan a bit?

Will be "put out" if I get the 14th pick again --- > just sayin'

Great idea, this!

Will do mate but let's see if anyone else is interested, I've sent out a couple of PM's. There's still Betty the Jedi to arrive and respond  ;D

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2019, 05:37:30 am »
Will do mate but let's see if anyone else is interested, I've sent out a couple of PM's. There's still Betty the Jedi to arrive and respond  ;D

:wellin :thumbup
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2019, 10:29:27 am »
Think I'll skip this one, just don't know enough players from that region.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2019, 12:04:52 pm »
Cheers tubby, stop by to vote later on if you can :)

Lads we have 11 participants, do you want us to go up to 14 like in this previous draft or close it at 12?

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2019, 12:09:36 pm »
Think I'll skip this one, just don't know enough players from that region.

You could just make up names and backstories. I won't look into and will vote as long as you have a good mix of -ić and first names beginning with Z.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2019, 12:20:36 pm »
You could just make up names and backstories. I won't look into and will vote as long as you have a good mix of -ić and first names beginning with Z.

I AM IN.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2019, 12:26:50 pm »
If you want to close it at 12 then I can be help, but I'm quite busy this week so might be better if I partner up with someone.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2019, 12:57:19 pm »
If you want to close it at 12 then I can be help, but I'm quite busy this week so might be better if I partner up with someone.

Whatever works best for you  8)

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2019, 12:58:23 pm »
I AM IN.

Do you want to partner up with Betty?  :D

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2019, 01:03:45 pm »
Do you want to partner up with Betty?  :D

No deal.  I fly solo.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2019, 01:08:25 pm »
eh, alright then. not sure about ussr. ukraine is probably more balkan
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2019, 01:17:54 pm »
If there's room, In like Flynnovich

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2019, 01:25:03 pm »

He's back!

I can't not be in this draft if this man is joining us now.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2019, 01:31:41 pm »
He's back!

I can't not be in this draft if this man is joining us now.
;D I'm out of retirement and into your loving arms

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2019, 01:35:34 pm »

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2019, 01:42:30 pm »
We wont vote for each other based purely on our 'friendship', honestly

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2019, 02:23:27 pm »
eh, alright then. not sure about ussr. ukraine is probably more balkan

Bur youre in right 😎

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2019, 02:24:21 pm »
Delighted I got yous reunited :D, Sir and Betty if you both sre in we have 15 total :)

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2019, 02:24:39 pm »

Cheers mate 👍

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2019, 03:05:31 pm »
I was thinking of a special rule, allowing 1 player to be selected who may have not been born in the Balkans or have played in any of the nations but is of Balkan origin through their parents only. One such selection per side.

Thoughts?

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2019, 03:07:05 pm »
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2019, 03:11:38 pm »
One thing about the rules though, maybe DeFacto has think this through and I’m talking of my arse, I think only having to pick two different nationalities might be too lenient. It would probably be more difficult and interesting having to pick from 4-5 different nations.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2019, 03:12:31 pm »
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2019, 03:15:15 pm »
I was thinking of a special rule, allowing 1 player to be selected who may have not been born in the Balkans or have played in any of the nations but is of Balkan origin through their parents only. One such selection per side.

Thoughts?

I like it. Adds another fun twist to the research.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2019, 03:17:29 pm »
One thing about the rules though, maybe DeFacto has think this through and I’m talking of my arse, I think only having to pick two different nationalities might be too lenient. It would probably be more difficult and interesting having to pick from 4-5 different nations.

I was thinking that mate initially but it may be really really hard given the pool of players available, particularly well known ones that most of us have seen play 😂

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2019, 03:18:29 pm »
I like it. Adds another fun twist to the research.

Cheers, figured it may be interesting as a "joker card" given that there are some top class players that are available through this rule

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2019, 03:21:13 pm »
I was thinking that mate initially but it may be really really hard given the pool of players available, particularly well known ones that most of us have seen play 😂

I think leave it all as is. You can add in the parents rule, but there are only a couple of players people would be excited to add based on that rule, and the fact we're allowing players born in the countries that represent others already is lenient enough. That's just my thoughts though.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2019, 03:34:48 pm »
I’d leave out the parents thing

It’s enough research finding enough good players to have played or been born in those countries  ;D
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2019, 03:45:51 pm »
I'll let you fellas decide what the majority feel like doing :)

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2019, 03:46:52 pm »
I think leave it all as is. You can add in the parents rule, but there are only a couple of players people would be excited to add based on that rule, and the fact we're allowing players born in the countries that represent others already is lenient enough. That's just my thoughts though.

Yeah it's a small group of players who would be selected based on that rule, some top ones, but not a lot.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2019, 03:51:40 pm »
Yeah it's a small group of players who would be selected based on that rule, some top ones, but not a lot.

I think it helps quite a bit with the balance of 1st round picks, especially with 15-16 drafters. But if people want to keep things as they are then I'm not fussed.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2019, 04:06:09 pm »
Is there any way to even search for that besides googling random good footballers and looking at their Wikipedia?  ;D

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2019, 04:12:55 pm »
Is there any way to even search for that besides googling random good footballers and looking at their Wikipedia?  ;D

To be fair it's a handful of players that are pretty well known, and within their wiki's you'll see some mention of it. It definitely gives us more quality players for the first round considering there is 15 of us.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2019, 04:13:37 pm »
I think it helps quite a bit with the balance of 1st round picks, especially with 15-16 drafters. But if people want to keep things as they are then I'm not fussed.

Yeah that was my thinking behind it. It won't be for everyone but that's the fun of it, you have to make a decision in the first round to take advantage of that rule if you're in the position to do so.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2019, 04:30:04 pm »
To be fair it's a handful of players that are pretty well known, and within their wiki's you'll see some mention of it. It definitely gives us more quality players for the first round considering there is 15 of us.

You’re the boss mate, go for what you think  :thumbup

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2019, 04:34:27 pm »

Rule of thumb, if a player's name ends in 'vic' then he's probably Balkan.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: June 25, 2019, 04:43:21 pm »
Rule of thumb, if a player's name ends in 'vic' then he's probably Balkan.

Yeah I found the obvious ‘vic’ when I was researching and his parents tick about every country box in the balkans!

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #77 on: June 25, 2019, 04:49:26 pm »
Yeah I found the obvious ‘vic’ when I was researching and his parents tick about every country box in the balkans!

I also thought Ozil might count - not that I'd particularly want to pick him - but his parents were born in Germany too.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: June 25, 2019, 04:58:21 pm »
I also thought Ozil might count - not that I'd particularly want to pick him - but his parents were born in Germany too.

Yeah I was looking at the same thing earlier.  ;D But I wouldn't pick him in a million years  ;D

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: June 25, 2019, 04:58:24 pm »

Yeah thought he was born in Turkey for some reason. And Can, although no idea why I checked him as I imagine he’d be a vote killer these days