Author Topic: ***** MASS MEETING SUNDAY 1st FEB *****  (Read 14000 times)

Offline Spirit Of Shankly

• Anny Roader
  • www.spiritofshankly.com
    • Spirit of Shankly
Join your Union Now online at www.spiritofshankly.com

Like SOS on Facebook and follow us on Twitter @spiritofshankly

Offline alex.

• "Bring out The Blimp!"
  • Legacy Fan
Re: ***** MASS MEETING SUNDAY 1st FEB *****
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 05:03:42 pm »
Bump for those who haven't seen it, get yourself along to the meeting on Sunday...

Online rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 05:13:36 pm »
Thought every was going to pray together before the game ;)

AMEN

royhendo

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 07:26:32 pm »
Good to see this - people need it just now

Offline alex.

• "Bring out The Blimp!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 10:10:20 pm »
Mass Meeting to be held at Zeligs, Liverpool One

Sunday 1st February 2009 at 12:00pm.

AGENDA

1.          Introduction and welcome from the Chairman

2.          Michael Shields update. From Michael Shields Snr & Cllr Joe Anderson

3.          Administration update

4.          Events update

5.          Travel update

6.          Update on present ownership situation

7.          Action

8.          Any other business & Question and Answers.

All topics sent in to Union Admin to be raised, shall be discussed here if not already spoken about.

Spirit of Shankly has also spoken to local bus provider Arriva who will be putting on extra buses (number 26) from Paradise Street facing the venue.

The bar prices at the meeting in Zeligs will also be reduced by 15-20%

Map: http://www.zeligs.co.uk/zeligs-map.gif

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #5 on: February 1, 2009, 01:35:29 pm »
be interesting to hear how this went.

Sadly I was unable to go.

Offline merseypride

• Has given up luncheon meat. Believes himself to be the reincarnation of Nostradamus
  • Kopite
  • Liverpool Football Club.....The Only way is UP!
    • Exclusive Contests
« Reply #6 on: February 1, 2009, 02:24:08 pm »
be interesting to hear how this went.

Sadly I was unable to go.

I guess we all would appreciate an update.
Liverpool FC .... Things can only get Better!!

Offline Jase

• Legacy Fan
  • A Liverbird upon my chest.
« Reply #7 on: February 1, 2009, 02:41:30 pm »
Just popped in now (joys of living in town y'see- means I get the chance to get meself sorted for going to watch the match, so this'll have to be quick). Meeting went alright, points raised etc and then the meeting turns to what is happening today with Gillett and Hicks being in town. We found out Gillett was still in the crowne plaza hotel, so a debate takes place, a vote is had and the majority of us heading down there to reception to calmly and peacefully protest and question Gillett. Jay (fair play to him here) had a one-to-one meeting, where Gillett stated a few interesting points. I don't want to go into it too much more because I don't know where the Union stand with this and if they want me to take this down or amend it, let me know but I'm sure they'll release the facts as soon as possible for everyone else.
......and could he play!

Offline merseypride

• Has given up luncheon meat. Believes himself to be the reincarnation of Nostradamus
  • Kopite
    • Exclusive Contests
« Reply #8 on: February 1, 2009, 02:51:23 pm »
Tnx Jase.
Would be interesting to know the conversation details!

Offline Jase

• Legacy Fan
  • A Liverbird upon my chest.
« Reply #9 on: February 1, 2009, 02:57:32 pm »
Ta. Lets put it this way, there's a couple of things Gillett said that had us laughing in stitches to one extent but to another it just leaves you with your head in your hands wondering 'what the fuck...?'
......and could he play!

Offline merseypride

• Kopite
    • Exclusive Contests
« Reply #10 on: February 1, 2009, 03:05:17 pm »
Tnx Again Jase.  Looking forward to the post match updates!

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #11 on: February 1, 2009, 03:08:14 pm »
anyone want to pm me stuff about this meeting with George, comments etc, I would be very grateful

thanks

Offline merseypride

• Kopite
    • Exclusive Contests
« Reply #12 on: February 1, 2009, 03:08:37 pm »
anyone want to pm me stuff about this meeting with George, comments etc, I would be very grateful

thanks

Same here ;)

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 1, 2009, 03:10:27 pm »
it just leaves you with your head in your hands wondering 'what the fuck...?'

Sounds typical of both our owners

Offline Gem

• Main Stander
  • The King Returns
« Reply #14 on: February 1, 2009, 03:42:45 pm »

thanks

me too please
'For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball'

Offline casey

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
    • HOME OF THE EXILED-SCOUSER
« Reply #15 on: February 1, 2009, 03:47:28 pm »
Would love to know what was said
You won't get me flicking on a (football) phone in.  I'd rather listen to a game of chess on the radio.  Phone ins are a platform for idiots.

Offline millsymate

• Anny Roader
« Reply #16 on: February 1, 2009, 07:37:17 pm »
how many turned up roughly ?

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: February 1, 2009, 07:38:58 pm »
Nice banner at the game - well done, lads.

Offline NasEscobar

• Shirt fetishist
  • Legacy Fan
  • See you at the Barricades babe.
« Reply #18 on: February 1, 2009, 08:57:27 pm »
Check me out y'all, Nasty Nas in your area, About to cause mass Hysteria.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #19 on: February 1, 2009, 11:10:56 pm »
well in to everyone in the union who went to this and then went to see Gillett

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #20 on: February 2, 2009, 12:36:39 am »
Nice banner at the game - well done, lads.

Was there a pic of the banner?
Justice for the 96.

Offline spionkop76

• Main Stander
« Reply #21 on: February 2, 2009, 12:57:52 am »
can pm me too about the conversation with  george gillett? thanks
We are moving up a mighty highway toward the city of VICTORIOUS. There will be meandering points. There will be curves and difficult moments, and we will be tempted to retaliate with the same kind of force that required for the BOSS to be shaken. But I'm going to say to you, 'Wait a minute, REDMens. We got to have some sense of extreme PATIENCE.'

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #22 on: February 2, 2009, 01:23:06 am »
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline WhiteHeat

• Legacy Fan
  • wants the traditions of LFC back.
« Reply #23 on: February 2, 2009, 01:44:38 am »
How did it go? Did Tubby Tom get involved?

Offline Milly B

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #24 on: February 2, 2009, 08:23:15 am »
It was a dramatic day at Anfield as two late goals from Fernando Torres breathed fresh life in Liverpool's title challenge.

But there were angry scenes afterwards, as fans gathered to protest against the club's American owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett, who were both at the game.

They also chanted for chief executive Rick Parry to go, and Gillett was subjected to some hostile exchanges at his hotel before the match and was forced to escape through a side exit.

Gillett and Hicks later held talks with Benitez and it is thought they will announce today that the manager will get a new four-and-a-half-year deal, with an agreement reached over his control of all football matters.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/more-sport/2009/02/02/lennon-keane-in-swap-115875-21090980/

Offline LukeD

• Middle aged perv on the school bus. Can't cope with massively fat tongues.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: February 2, 2009, 09:48:06 am »
Hmmm...
Jay (fair play to him here) had a one-to-one meeting, where Gillett stated a few interesting points.
vs...
...Gillett was subjected to some hostile exchanges at his hotel before the match and was forced to escape through a side exit.

What to believe?  I mean, it's not like a journalist would sensationalise something just to sell a few papers and make a story a lot more dramatic is it?!

Would be great to hear what was said, sadly I think we'll all fall more into the "what the fuck?!" bracket though.

Offline PassAndMove

• Whinge and Moan
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #26 on: February 2, 2009, 10:55:44 am »
Should SoS be renamed SRDC (Save Rafa Dot Com) ? They are the worst pressure group I have ever seen in my life, what a bunch of jokers. Shouting Parry out means Hicks will get full control, are their tactics a little bit dim or just plain thick?

As I said, SoS are more about giving Rafa an easy ride than they are about getting the owners out.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #27 on: February 2, 2009, 10:57:05 am »
Should SoS be renamed SRDC (Save Rafa Dot Com) ? They are the worst pressure group I have ever seen in my life, what a bunch of jokers. Shouting Parry out means Hicks will get full control, are their tactics a little bit dim or just plain thick?

As I said, SoS are more about giving Rafa an easy ride than they are about getting the owners out.

So start your own union.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline PassAndMove

• Whinge and Moan
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #28 on: February 2, 2009, 10:59:21 am »
So start your own union.

I make no promises mate and I don't want to be doing that. But these biys made up a union, promised to of lots of things to get the owners out and are now an splinter group fighting for scouse rights, scouse prisoners, and blatent arse kiss of the manager. It's a disgrace.

What on earth did they form for? Have the forgotten?

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #30 on: February 2, 2009, 11:46:40 am »
LIVERPOOL FC co-owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks endured a torrid day on Merseyside as they ran the gauntlet of protesting fans.

The Americans were left in no doubt about the strength of feeling against them when supporters staged a demonstration at Anfield following the Reds’ 2-0 win over Chelsea.

Around 300 fans gathered outside the directors’ entrance, chanting for Mr Hicks and Mr Gillett to sell the club they bought from former owner David Moores two years ago this month.

The protest was entirely peaceful but noisy and the chants could be heard inside the stadium long after the final whistle had been blown on Liverpool’s victory.

Throughout the match, a group of fans in the paddock, right in front of where Mr Hicks and Mr Gillett were sitting in the directors box, displayed a banner which read “Thanks but no Yanks”.

Earlier in the day, members of the Spirit Of Shankly (SOS) fans’ group converged on the Crowne Plaza hotel at the Pier Head where Gillett was staying.

Mr Gillett, who had earlier declined an opportunity to be interviewed by the ECHO, was clearly unprepared for their arrival as a number of supporters got past hotel security to confront him.

But after quickly recovering his composure, the Colorado-based businessman agreed to speak with to SOS spokesman Jay McKenna in the hotel foyer.

The demonstrators were well-behaved and well-organised throughout, although police did arrive on the scene to ensure hotel guests could come and go unhindered.

Mr McKenna emerged from his impromptu meeting with Mr Gillett to inform those gathered outside of what he was just told.

Mr McKenna said: “I told him all the fans who were outside and thousands more were angry and upset at how he and Tom Hicks were running the club.

“He looked shocked and asked me why. I told him he knew why, because he met Spirit Of Shankly before the Manchester United game.

“I said ‘fans see it as you have made three promises and broken them’. So he asked me what they were.

“The first one was the debt on the football club. I told him his partner Tom Hicks promised it would not be like the Glazer takeover at Manchester United, and to fans that meant no debt on the club.

“He claimed to be unaware and asked what I meant. I told him they had bought the club and then placed the debt for buying the club onto the club.

“He claimed this was at the ‘request of the banks’ and they were in a ‘sound financial position’ with ‘revenue per pound or dollar in ratio to the debt’ better than at any other football club.

“When I asked about the extension to July, he claimed that was false and no-one else knew the true details because they were kept confidential.

“The second one was backing the manager and then not doing so. I said they said they would back the manager, so why had they approached Jurgen Klinsmann about the position of manager?

“He then went onto claim they had met with the manager, who told them he was to have discussions with ‘three other teams’ about joining them and they approached Klinsmann to have him in place to work as a ‘consultant at the club’ if Benitez left them.

“I asked why they had approached Klinsmann, because his pedigree was not one that immediately made fans sit up and take note.

“He claimed Klinsmann had a brilliant track record, and he had excellent marketing talent, having close links with those at Adidas, Nike and Reebok and the benefits of him being at Liverpool.

“I asked who the three clubs were, but he refused to answer.

“The third one was the stadium. I told Gillett the situation with the stadium angered fans, because Gillett himself had promised a spade in the ground in 60 days, and it still had not happened.

“He denied making this claim and said it was a ‘made-up quote by the media’and he would be interested to see such a quote.

“I asked why work on the stadium dragged on before they finally blamed the credit crunch for it not happening.

“He claimed they had spent £100m on the stadium so far and were still working with designers, architects and planners.

“I asked why they were spending the club’s money on this and he claimed it was coming from himself and Tom Hicks and not the club.

“I asked if the club’s accounts would show and support this when they are released, and he said yes. “Gillett then claimed all transfer fees to date had been met by himself and Tom.

“He said when they bought the club, they were told about the ‘Liverpool Way’.
“I asked if he felt they had been true custodians as they promised. Gillett told me he ‘had tried, but it had been difficult’ and they had ‘done what they could’.

“I asked why he could not speak for Hicks because he was his partner.

“He said that ‘husband and wife can say different things but one does not get the blame’.

“I explained they were both responsible, and he was not happy at being blamed.

“I asked why he was in partnership with Hicks. He said Hicks and himself had worked together well for six years in other businesses such as food, but this is different because the media are involved.

“I asked, would he or Tom Hicks, or both, be selling their stakes in Liverpool. “Again, he told me he cannot speak for Tom Hicks. I asked, had there been any offers for the club, and were they currently meeting anyone about it?

He told me: ‘Yes, there have been expressions of interest and some negotiation’.

“I asked who with, and he told me he could not tell me that. I asked would he sell, and he admitted he was ‘open to it’, but he could not speak for Hicks.

“I then went to walk away, and he came after me saying, ‘A few weeks ago, we were in first position, then a certain individual from the club attacked another individual from another club, and, since then, we have lost form and slid down the league.’

“I was stunned, and asked if he was blaming Benitez as a result, and in saying that, was he not backing the manager?

“Rather than confirm or deny as I expected, he replied ‘that’s your implication’, before I walked away and back outside to the real world.”
« Last Edit: February 2, 2009, 11:49:55 am by Something Else »

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: February 2, 2009, 11:48:26 am »
Thanks, Lyndsey. Just confirms that Gillett is stupid, mendacious, snide, duplicitous and obtuse. Eager to blame Rafa for everything, isn't he? Glad the demonstrations outside could be clearly heard - hopefully will make it clear to the Kuwaitis, or whoever the guests were, that going into a 50-50 partnership with Hicks would not be a good idea.

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: February 2, 2009, 11:55:29 am »
Who does Gillett think hes kidding, we are not stupid, he is very naive if he thinks they can remain in charge here, that picture of them miles apart says all you need to know.

That is noway to run a sweet shop never mind the best football club in the world they need to get a grip and accept it has been a complete failure cut their losses and sell up a.s.a.p
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline culbs

• Kopite
  • 5 is more than 3
« Reply #33 on: February 2, 2009, 11:56:27 am »
I feel sick after reading that.
"Liverpool is one of those clubs that any coach always dreams about being able to manage" - Rafael Benitez

Offline L Redwing

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: February 2, 2009, 12:16:07 pm »
Agreed. Gillette's little postscript comment was particularly disgusting.

Offline HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: February 2, 2009, 12:16:29 pm »
LIVERPOOL FC co-owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks endured a torrid day on Merseyside as they ran the gauntlet of protesting fans.

The Americans were left in no doubt about the strength of feeling against them when supporters staged a demonstration at Anfield following the Reds’ 2-0 win over Chelsea.

Around 300 fans gathered outside the directors’ entrance, chanting for Mr Hicks and Mr Gillett to sell the club they bought from former owner David Moores two years ago this month.

The protest was entirely peaceful but noisy and the chants could be heard inside the stadium long after the final whistle had been blown on Liverpool’s victory.

Throughout the match, a group of fans in the paddock, right in front of where Mr Hicks and Mr Gillett were sitting in the directors box, displayed a banner which read “Thanks but no Yanks”.

Earlier in the day, members of the Spirit Of Shankly (SOS) fans’ group converged on the Crowne Plaza hotel at the Pier Head where Gillett was staying.

Mr Gillett, who had earlier declined an opportunity to be interviewed by the ECHO, was clearly unprepared for their arrival as a number of supporters got past hotel security to confront him.

But after quickly recovering his composure, the Colorado-based businessman agreed to speak with to SOS spokesman Jay McKenna in the hotel foyer.

The demonstrators were well-behaved and well-organised throughout, although police did arrive on the scene to ensure hotel guests could come and go unhindered.

Mr McKenna emerged from his impromptu meeting with Mr Gillett to inform those gathered outside of what he was just told.

Mr McKenna said: “I told him all the fans who were outside and thousands more were angry and upset at how he and Tom Hicks were running the club.

“He looked shocked and asked me why. I told him he knew why, because he met Spirit Of Shankly before the Manchester United game.

“I said ‘fans see it as you have made three promises and broken them’. So he asked me what they were.

“The first one was the debt on the football club. I told him his partner Tom Hicks promised it would not be like the Glazer takeover at Manchester United, and to fans that meant no debt on the club.

“He claimed to be unaware and asked what I meant. I told him they had bought the club and then placed the debt for buying the club onto the club.

“He claimed this was at the ‘request of the banks’ and they were in a ‘sound financial position’ with ‘revenue per pound or dollar in ratio to the debt’ better than at any other football club.

“When I asked about the extension to July, he claimed that was false and no-one else knew the true details because they were kept confidential.

“The second one was backing the manager and then not doing so. I said they said they would back the manager, so why had they approached Jurgen Klinsmann about the position of manager?

“He then went onto claim they had met with the manager, who told them he was to have discussions with ‘three other teams’ about joining them and they approached Klinsmann to have him in place to work as a ‘consultant at the club’ if Benitez left them.

“I asked why they had approached Klinsmann, because his pedigree was not one that immediately made fans sit up and take note.

“He claimed Klinsmann had a brilliant track record, and he had excellent marketing talent, having close links with those at Adidas, Nike and Reebok and the benefits of him being at Liverpool.

“I asked who the three clubs were, but he refused to answer.

“The third one was the stadium. I told Gillett the situation with the stadium angered fans, because Gillett himself had promised a spade in the ground in 60 days, and it still had not happened.

“He denied making this claim and said it was a ‘made-up quote by the media’and he would be interested to see such a quote.

“I asked why work on the stadium dragged on before they finally blamed the credit crunch for it not happening.

“He claimed they had spent £100m on the stadium so far and were still working with designers, architects and planners.

“I asked why they were spending the club’s money on this and he claimed it was coming from himself and Tom Hicks and not the club.

“I asked if the club’s accounts would show and support this when they are released, and he said yes. “Gillett then claimed all transfer fees to date had been met by himself and Tom.

“He said when they bought the club, they were told about the ‘Liverpool Way’.
“I asked if he felt they had been true custodians as they promised. Gillett told me he ‘had tried, but it had been difficult’ and they had ‘done what they could’.

“I asked why he could not speak for Hicks because he was his partner.

“He said that ‘husband and wife can say different things but one does not get the blame’.

“I explained they were both responsible, and he was not happy at being blamed.

“I asked why he was in partnership with Hicks. He said Hicks and himself had worked together well for six years in other businesses such as food, but this is different because the media are involved.

“I asked, would he or Tom Hicks, or both, be selling their stakes in Liverpool. “Again, he told me he cannot speak for Tom Hicks. I asked, had there been any offers for the club, and were they currently meeting anyone about it?

He told me: ‘Yes, there have been expressions of interest and some negotiation’.

“I asked who with, and he told me he could not tell me that. I asked would he sell, and he admitted he was ‘open to it’, but he could not speak for Hicks.

“I then went to walk away, and he came after me saying, ‘A few weeks ago, we were in first position, then a certain individual from the club attacked another individual from another club, and, since then, we have lost form and slid down the league.’

“I was stunned, and asked if he was blaming Benitez as a result, and in saying that, was he not backing the manager?

“Rather than confirm or deny as I expected, he replied ‘that’s your implication’, before I walked away and back outside to the real world.”

What a  sickeningly unpleasant, odious, bilious, immoral and repugnant gremlin.

Lies, lies and bloody damned lies.

GET OUT OF OUR CLUB!
SoS Membership Number: 387

Offline Joe_Singh

• Legacy Fan
  • My idea is always to win trophies, not just games
    • Joe Singh
« Reply #36 on: February 2, 2009, 12:18:42 pm »

Fuck me the guy is a prick. Basically he is listening to what the media are saying about Rafa. Thats the impression I got from another RAWKite who talked to him in a bar in Montreal.
What I love about this, and several other of Kenny's press conferences, is that he manages to say something to the effect of  'Shut the fuck up, you fucking helmets and don't fuck with me or my football club or I'll make you eat your own balls', without actually using th

Offline PassAndMove

• Whinge and Moan
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #37 on: February 2, 2009, 12:29:39 pm »
Its everybody's fault but not Rafa's. Some of you are thick as pig shit.

Offline Lfc Rules

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: February 2, 2009, 12:29:59 pm »
Agreed. Gillette's little postscript comment was particularly disgusting.

Agreed
"PLAY FUCKING FOOTBALL!" ~ Jürgen Klopp

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Vice Chair - Former Chair LFC S/Committee
« Reply #39 on: February 2, 2009, 12:34:15 pm »
Its everybody's fault but not Rafa's. Some of you are thick as pig shit.

Did you come to the Union meeting yesterday?

If you had you would have heard that your Rafa drivel was specifically mentioned at the meeting and a few speakers made the point about the support being for the Club not for any one player, manager or owner.

But hey, don't let the facts get in the way of unsupported nonsense.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892