Author Topic: Bet365/FA controversy  (Read 3570 times)

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Bet365/FA controversy
« on: January 9, 2020, 02:07:19 pm »
You have to deposit £5 to watch the games and according to some MPs this promotes problem gambling  and addiction.

The government has called on the Football Association to immediately reconsider its decision to sell FA Cup broadcast rights via a third party to a gambling website.

The Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport says "things have moved on" since the contract was signed.

"I hope they will reconsider," Nicky Morgan said on Twitter.

Since the start of last season, bookmaker Bet365 has had rights to show FA Cup ties on its website and app.

The matches are available to anyone who had placed a bet or put a deposit in their account in the 24 hours before kick-off.

Sports minister Nigel Adams added: "The gambling landscape has changed since this deal was signed in early 2017. All sports bodies need to be mindful of the impact that problem gambling can have on the most vulnerable."

The FA has said it will "review this element of the media rights sales process ahead of tendering rights from the 2024-25 season".

Twenty-three third-round matches were available to watch on Bet365 last weekend - all those that did not kick off at 15:01 GMT on Saturday.

The FA announced it was cutting its ties with gambling firms in July 2017, but this deal was done in January 2017.

"The FA agreed a media rights deal with IMG in early 2017, part of which permits them to sell the right to show live footage or clips of FA Cup matches to bookmakers," it said. "Bet365 acquired these rights from IMG to use from the start of the 2018-19 season.

"This deal was agreed before we made a clear decision on the FA's relationship with gambling companies in June 2017 when we ended our partnership with Ladbrokes."

Former sports minister Tracey Crouch, MP for Chatham and Aylesford, said she was "deeply uncomfortable and disappointed by the sale".

Crouch, who resigned from her cabinet post in 2018 over delays to a crackdown on the regulation of fixed-odds betting terminals, said the FA had "always given the impression that they are conscious of the problems associated with gambling".

"Given the current challenges of regulating online gambling it will inevitably expose vulnerable people, including children, to gambling - something that can lead to long-term problems for society."

All matches in the FA Cup third round started a minute late as part of the FA's Heads Up mental health campaign.

Bet365 said in a statement: "Bet365 does not sponsor the FA or the FA Cup and does not have any direct commercial agreement with the FA.

"Bet365, along with multiple other operators, has the right to live stream certain FA Cup matches through a long standing media rights deal with IMG.

"There is no obligation on Bet365's customers to place a bet on any FA Cup match to enjoy the live streams at Bet365.

"To do so, customers are simply required to either have a funded Bet365 account or to have placed a bet on any event with Bet365 in the previous 24 hours.

"This requirement importantly ensures that all such customers are fully verified to prevent under-18s from accessing the service.

"Bet365 believes that these streaming services provide added value to its customers and enable them to watch FA Cup matches that they might not otherwise have been able to see."

The company's website says that gamblers are able to watch tennis, basketball, snooker, darts, cricket and squash through its streaming service.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51028507

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Bet365/FA controversy
« Reply #1 on: January 9, 2020, 02:32:57 pm »
And to think not just one person at the FA would of signed this off. Madness.

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #2 on: January 9, 2020, 02:37:10 pm »
They’ve been doing this since well before last season, I had to watch us get knocked out by Wolves (Anfield one) at work on it.

You can’t even expand that shit site’s videos to full screen anymore, I think.
« Last Edit: January 9, 2020, 03:14:08 pm by gerrardisgod »
AHA!

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 9, 2020, 03:06:44 pm »
And to think not just one person at the FA would of signed this off. Madness.

Are you old enough to remember the 'Embasay' World Snooker Championsip? That was hugely controversial in the 90's and eventually was banned. I sense gambling is going the same way.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #4 on: January 9, 2020, 03:16:33 pm »

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 9, 2020, 03:20:21 pm »

LOL yeah. Those were the days :)

Anyone reckon they will eventually stop gambling companies from advertising etc?

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 9, 2020, 03:25:29 pm »
Anyone reckon they will eventually stop gambling companies from advertising etc?

One day yes. GAA voted to ban all sponsorship from gambling companies last year over in Ireland. A frightening number of football clubs in England are sponsored by bookies. I would completely ban them from advertising on TV, radio, front of shirts, newspapers and everywhere else.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: January 9, 2020, 03:27:07 pm »
LOL yeah. Those were the days :)

Only just legalised it 15 years ago.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 9, 2020, 03:38:41 pm »
Bet365 is the devil, they're too big. Read last week about their CEO being the highest paid executive in the UK, it was some ridiculous amount.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #9 on: January 9, 2020, 03:39:20 pm »
Bet365 is the devil, they're too big. Read last week about their CEO being the highest paid executive in the UK, it was some ridiculous amount.

That's mainly because it's family owned and she owns 50 odd percent of it - a good chunk of her pay was a dividend payment.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: January 9, 2020, 03:53:55 pm »

I think it was £200m she got paid which is insane even by today's standards.

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #11 on: January 9, 2020, 03:59:14 pm »
I believe that was her bonus. £245M. Madness.
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #12 on: January 9, 2020, 04:09:43 pm »
They've only just agreed to stop in game betting advertising, like when at just before kickoff & at half time you had a betting adds with odds for next scorer ecc.

Problem is the amount of sports who have betting firms sponsoring there main competitions, such as SKY Bet for the EFL, Rugby League has BetFred Super League, the RL Challenge Cup is sponsored by Coral, PDC William Hill Darts World Championships.

Only the other year, we had our training gear sponsored by Bet Victor.
#Sausages

Offline jacobs chains

• Legacy Fan
  • The fight will not be attaining dreams.
« Reply #13 on: January 9, 2020, 04:14:38 pm »
I think it was £200m she got paid which is insane even by today's standards.

Without getting into a debate about the morals of gambling and executive pay....

She took a smallish family business and turned it into the world's biggest online betting company employing about 4500 people. She can pay herself whatever she wants.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #14 on: January 9, 2020, 04:15:24 pm »
Without getting into a debate about the morals of gambling and executive pay....

She took a smallish family business and turned it into the world's biggest online betting company employing about 4500 people. She can pay herself whatever she wants.

Appears to pay full tax on it too and is quite charitable to boot.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 9, 2020, 04:23:06 pm »
BREAKING: Gambling companies to offer all the FA Cup games on a free platform! 

That's cool.

The Betting and Gaming Council (BGC) says its members have offered to end their streaming rights to FA Cup games amid controversy following the latest round of fixtures.

The statement is supported by Bet365, who the anger centred on after it had streaming rights for every FA Cup game barring the ones starting at 15:01 on Saturday over the weekend, amounting to a total of 23 games.

Over the same weekend, the BBC showed two matches, while BT Sport had a further four.

This coincided with a mental health campaign from the FA and the mental health charity Heads Together. The streaming deal was initially agreed in 2017 through a third party to the gambling companies, but prior to the FA ending its sponsorship deal with Ladbrokes later that year.

Other brands have had access to streaming the FA Cup since the start of last season, namely Betfair, William Hill, Coral, Ladbrokes, Unibet and Paddy Power.

The BGC's statement is supported by Bet365, GVC Holdings (which owns Ladbrokes and Coral), Flutter Entertainment (which owns Paddy Power and Betfair), William Hill and Kindred Group (which owns Unibet).

Following the controversy, it was reported Sport Minister Nigel Davies plans to meet with the FA to discuss the issue.

In a statement Brigid Simmonds, Chairman of the BGC, said: "Our members did not seek exclusivity for the rights to screen FA cup games.

"They are therefore happy for IMG to offer the rights to screen these games to the Football Association or another appropriate body so the games can be viewed for free by the public with immediate effect.

https://www.gamblinginsider.com/news/8262/bet365-and-kindred-affiliates-among-first-to-sign-up-as-affiliatecon-sofia-2020-exhibitors

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: January 9, 2020, 04:27:18 pm »

Aye, and these huge drug dealers running the county lines are paying all these kids fantatstic money. Fantastic emeterprise!

Offline jacobs chains

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: January 9, 2020, 04:29:49 pm »
Aye, and these huge drug dealers running the county lines are paying all these kids fantatstic money. Fantastic emeterprise!

Yeah the parallels are obvious. ::)

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #18 on: January 9, 2020, 04:40:10 pm »
And according to Ray Winstone, they're the UK's favourite facking betting company.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 9, 2020, 04:50:03 pm »
And according to Ray Winstone, they're the UK's favourite facking betting company.

It's the WORLD's. I think by turnover that's the claim they make. I agree she deserves success but £300m a year?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #20 on: January 9, 2020, 04:54:09 pm »
It's the WORLD's. I think by turnover that's the claim they make. I agree she deserves success but £300m a year?

It's her private company and she's taking her share of the profits it is making - it's no different to what most others out there do.

She's paying full tax on it so a huge chunk is going to the Govt. too.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 9, 2020, 04:58:43 pm »
Bet365 are one of the worst for banning successful punters, so they're not squeaky clean.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #22 on: January 9, 2020, 05:00:06 pm »
so they're not squeaky clean.

I'm fairly sure not one single betting company is  ;D

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 9, 2020, 05:02:27 pm »
I'm fairly sure not one single betting company is  ;D

Have you not come across LovelyCushionedHeader Bet?
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #24 on: January 9, 2020, 05:03:31 pm »
Have you not come across LovelyCushionedHeader Bet?

£1000 free first bet but any winnings need to be played 10000x before payout?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 9, 2020, 05:04:56 pm »
£1000 free first bet but any winnings need to be played 10000x before payout?

Just deposit the £1000 and we will discuss the t&cs later!

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: January 9, 2020, 05:07:02 pm »
It's her private company and she's taking her share of the profits it is making - it's no different to what most others out there do.

She's paying full tax on it so a huge chunk is going to the Govt. too.

Actually its not what 'others' do. Hers is the most excessive pay in the land. She's taking to a next level.  No other boss is earning that.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #27 on: January 9, 2020, 05:11:01 pm »
Actually its not what 'others' do. Hers is the most excessive pay in the land. She's taking to a next level.  No other boss is earning that.

Once again - IT'S HER COMPANY. She owns it. Most other CEO's of companies this size do not, they are simply employed.

Her pay is effectively a dividend payment of profits given she owns 50% of the company (I believe 2 other family members own the majority of the other 50%).

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: January 9, 2020, 05:12:12 pm »
Once again - IT'S HER COMPANY. She owns it. Most other CEO's of companies this size do not, they are simply employed.

Her pay is effectively a dividend payment of profits given she owns 50% of the company (I believe 2 other family members own the majority of the other 50%).

No other boss is earning that either private or public. That's what I read. 

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #29 on: January 9, 2020, 05:51:15 pm »

Are you deliberately being obtuse?

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: January 9, 2020, 05:54:00 pm »

Wasting your time pal, Craig loves billionaires more than anything.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #31 on: January 9, 2020, 06:00:23 pm »
Wasting your time pal, Craig loves billionaires more than anything.

Trillionaires are my fav.

Offline fredfrop

• 19*
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: January 9, 2020, 06:26:39 pm »
Fucking Tories can go fuck themselves.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #33 on: January 9, 2020, 06:31:29 pm »
Fucking Tories can go fuck themselves.

Is she?

I know her dad (who started the business) often donated quite large sums to Labour.

Offline fredfrop

• 19*
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: January 9, 2020, 06:36:29 pm »
Nicky Morgan etc. Not her.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #35 on: January 9, 2020, 06:44:14 pm »
Betting is evil and should have no place in the game. Remove all advertising too.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: January 9, 2020, 06:58:08 pm »
Are you deliberately being obtuse?

No.  While I  believe in the free market and people having success I think taking a payment of £320m andt becoming the highest paid executive in the UK if not the world is taking the piss.  i would limit executive pay to 10x or 100x the average worker in the firm or whatever (i'm not a lawmaker).  Also there has been a lot of coverage in the media about problem gambling and addiction not to mention kids with phones using the Apps and people losing large amounts of money or encouraging a casual attitude to the various flashy games, casino's etc. that bet365 and others offer.  She is clearly massively profiting from people losing large sums of cash.  We're not talking fivers and tenners to earn 320 million quid (!!) people must be losing a decent amount.  Does that bother you at all?

Offline jacobs chains

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 9, 2020, 07:12:24 pm »

No.  While I  believe in the free market and people having success I think taking a payment of £320m andt becoming the highest paid executive in the UK if not the world is taking the piss.  i would limit executive pay to 10x or 100x the average worker in the firm or whatever (i'm not a lawmaker).  Also there has been a lot of coverage in the media about problem gambling and addiction not to mention kids with phones using the Apps and people losing large amounts of money or encouraging a casual attitude to the various flashy games, casino's etc. that bet365 and others offer.  She is clearly massively profiting from people losing large sums of cash.  We're not talking fivers and tenners to earn 320 million quid (!!) people must be losing a decent amount.  Does that bother you at all?

I don't want to start defending the betting industry but you need a bit of context. You quote a figure of £320m that's less than a tenner per customer average. Profits for 365 were about £650m last year so less than £20 per customer average. The lottery makes more per customer than that, I think.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: January 9, 2020, 07:17:32 pm »
I don't want to start defending the betting industry but you need a bit of context. You quote a figure of £320m that's less than a tenner per customer average. Profits for 365 were about £650m last year so less than £20 per customer average. The lottery makes more per customer than that, I think.

I've seen reports of people losing thousands and being driven to suicide.  Paul Merson for example which I posted here the other day.

Paul Merson: 'I wanted to die'

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=344400.msg16978515#msg16978515
« Last Edit: January 9, 2020, 07:19:30 pm by rebel23 »

Offline jacobs chains

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: January 9, 2020, 07:27:50 pm »
Yes and there are people like me. I bet on a regular basis. I have 4 accounts with 4 online bookies. Over the last 5 years I have averaged an income of between £250-400 per month. That isn't to say betting's great and everyone should do it because, as you say, some people develop a very serious problem with it.

Betting is like booze. Can you justify prohibiting it for all because some have a problem? In my opinion no. Can you justify putting limits on it's accessibility and promotion? Yes. It would be irresponsable to do otherwise.