Author Topic: Arsenal: Top of the divers league  (Read 338531 times)

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Arsenal: Top of the divers league
« Reply #7800 on: April 24, 2024, 08:32:36 am »
One or two piss taking comments after you lost to Bayern you think skinned bore.

Hes not been here long enough.

Arteta reminds me a lot of Rodgers.

Just saw on the screen the favourite for the liverpool job…. Thats Rob Page isnt it?? !!! YMA OHYD you Anfield dragons! 

Offline PatriotScouser

• Legacy Fan
  • I could agree with you but then we’d both be wrong
« Reply #7801 on: April 24, 2024, 08:38:13 am »
Hope so, yesterday reminded me of losing 6-0 to Chelsea when we could no longer compete for players because we didnt have the money (wenger refusing to spend). Cheats came from nowhere and bought ashley cole nasri clichy adebayor toure off us, then rvp and cesc left because we couldnt match their ambition.
All we got told at the end of it was that chelsea are now a bigger club than us, no one cared about our positive net spend.

It could be our time again, and we need to keep spending to improve now that we can afford to. Absolutely no apologies about it, we need to cash in now that we are getting ahead.

That is exactly the correct approach to take. Strengthen when in a position of power. Not in a position of weakness.

Something Liverpool have often failed at and to be quite frank something some Liverpool supporters have often excused from our ownership/recruitment team/management team. And I mean throughout the years not just under FSG and Klopp.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7802 on: April 24, 2024, 08:42:17 am »
That is exactly the correct approach to take. Strengthen when in a position of power. Not in a position of weakness.

Something Liverpool have often failed at and to be quite frank something some Liverpool supporters have often excused from our ownership/recruitment team/management team. And I mean throughout the years not just under FSG and Klopp.

I was thinking more Spurs under Pochettino, they had the chance with a brilliant team and never spent anything and won zilch. At least youve won everything , but I take your point, that was more down to the genius of the manager than spending power. Maybe you could have won more if you spent but when you get 97 points and 93 points, not sure what else you can do to improve on these staggering totals.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7803 on: April 24, 2024, 08:45:04 am »
I think people wanting City to win it ahead of Arsenal is bit petty. Sure Arteta is a plonker, but Arsenal aren’t a cheating shitstain on the fabric of football. I hope it’s them if we fail to win it.

Yeah quite a few people have spent years mocking fans of other clubs for wanting City to win it over Liverpool. It’s very small time as a mentality. ‘If we can’t win then the cheats should win because it doesn’t count’… why would you ever want cheats to prosper just to protect your own achievements. Small time.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #7804 on: April 24, 2024, 08:51:45 am »
I was thinking more Spurs under Pochettino, they had the chance with a brilliant team and never spent anything and won zilch. At least youve won everything , but I take your point, that was more down to the genius of the manager than spending power. Maybe you could have won more if you spent but when you get 97 points and 93 points, not sure what else you can do to improve on these staggering totals.

But we lost the League on 97 points then and won it the following year without much investment.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 08:54:04 am by Nick110581 »
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7805 on: April 24, 2024, 08:53:07 am »
They have surprised me with their results of late.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 09:02:39 am by The G in Gerrard »

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7806 on: April 24, 2024, 09:02:01 am »
But we lost the League on 97 points then and won it the following year without much investment.

There was a couple of years when there were no available players that could improve you, you were that good. In that instance its right not to spend, but then we can all be managers so who knows if thats the right approach. City kept spending when they were winning, but then they had unlimited funds in brown envelopes so didnt need to plan like a normal club.

Offline Irishred1

• Anny Roader
« Reply #7807 on: April 24, 2024, 09:09:46 am »
As much as Arteta annoys me he has proved me wrong. I thought arsenal would have long since fallen away. If we don't win it let it be them. Fuck the fake cheats

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7808 on: April 24, 2024, 09:18:36 am »
Only a few years ago Arsenal would routinely get absolutely slapped around by the bigger teams. 4,5,6 nils almost every season. I'm not being snarky when I say how beautiful it must feel to be dishing those results out now. They've come a long way to be fair to them and they're playing some very good football. I do think they slip up at least once in the run in but I'm finally convinced they aren't going away and it feels a matter of time before they get over the line and win one.

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7809 on: April 24, 2024, 09:37:44 am »
Fair play to Arsenal.
If we can't win it then I'd rather they took the title than watch another 115 charade.
They aren't cheats owned by a despotic bunch of slave owning, human rights abusing arseholes.
Also quite enjoyed them smashing the London cheats last night.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7810 on: April 24, 2024, 09:43:27 am »
There was a couple of years when there were no available players that could improve you, you were that good. In that instance its right not to spend, but then we can all be managers so who knows if thats the right approach. City kept spending when they were winning, but then they had unlimited funds in brown envelopes so didnt need to plan like a normal club.

This is a good point. You went through that Liverpool XI at the time, and you just couldn't see a weakness. Goalkeeper class, great centre backs. brilliantly creative full backs, very good midfield, strong, powerful, energetic, front 3 different gravy. That's why they hit 90+ points and Champions League finals.

You can't say the same thing about this Arsenal team. There are still some obvious weak points. Goalkeeper not top class, but i wouldn't go out and try for an upgrade yet, left back a weakness (hopefully Timber helps with that), we need a long term settled partner for Rice, and i agree with your assessment on Havertz. I like him, he'll be valuable in a squad because he can play midfield or up front, but he isn't the final answer for either position, so we still need at least 1 forward.

In a way, it's a credit to Arteta that he's getting the team to perform so well, but individually are a lot of the players actually really rated that highly, as highly as that peak Klopp team was rated for instance? Would many even make a current EPL 11?

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7811 on: April 24, 2024, 09:49:55 am »
This is a good point. You went through that Liverpool XI at the time, and you just couldn't see a weakness. Goalkeeper class, great centre backs. brilliantly creative full backs, very good midfield, strong, powerful, energetic, front 3 different gravy. That's why they hit 90+ points and Champions League finals.

Surely the point here though is that Klopp made them into that? As part of that "couldn't see a weakness" Liverpool XI was a Henderson who was being used as a bargaining tool to bring in Clint Dempsey, journeyman James Milner and relegation fodder like Wijnaldum and Robertson. Arteta - and trust me, I think he's a great coach - is more in the Guardiola school of throwing £40m at a problem, it not working out, and then throwing £40m at it again until something sticks.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7812 on: April 24, 2024, 09:58:08 am »
Surely the point here though is that Klopp made them into that? As part of that "couldn't see a weakness" Liverpool XI was a Henderson who was being used as a bargaining tool to bring in Clint Dempsey, journeyman James Milner and relegation fodder like Wijnaldum and Robertson. Arteta - and trust me, I think he's a great coach - is more in the Guardiola school of throwing £40m at a problem, it not working out, and then throwing £40m at it again until something sticks.

Klopp is a one off, itll be weird next season when the best manager in world football isnt even in a job.

At some stage an oil country would offer him crazy money, Messi like money, 2m a week, 100m a year when the next highest paid is on 20. I hope that hes the type of character that wont be swayed by it but if i was a despotic oil dictator asshole id throw a gdp of a small country at him.

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7813 on: April 24, 2024, 10:05:13 am »
Klopp is a one off, itll be weird next season when the best manager in world football isnt even in a job.

At some stage an oil country would offer him crazy money, Messi like money, 2m a week, 100m a year when the next highest paid is on 20. I hope that hes the type of character that wont be swayed by it but if i was a despotic oil dictator asshole id throw a gdp of a small country at him.

I'd be stunned. Besides, in manager terms, I think he's only behind Guardiola and Simeone as being the best paid already anyway.

Edit: Christ, just looked it up. Gerrard is 4th on the list. Wow.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7814 on: April 24, 2024, 10:21:26 am »

Yeah, you're right of course. You still needed the churn to get Klopp's players, but you bought really well, the hit rate great and Klopp obviously makes good players great. That why Klopp is so highly regarded.

Our process has been a bit more of a windy road, a mixed bag initially in the market, supplemented purchases with cheaper older players like Cedric, Mari, Willian etc, a muddled strategy etc. It seemed we didn't really have clarity in what we were doing until a wee bit into Arteta's reign. Maybe that was forced at the time because of Covid and the owners not really being invested until a couple of years ago, i don't know, but we've certainly went through more churn it seems you had to under Klopp.

Offline oldman

• Anny Roader
« Reply #7815 on: April 24, 2024, 12:32:08 pm »
Having not seen any arsenal games ( except ours ) I thought I would watch a bit last night .
Turned on after about 30 mins gone - 5 minutes later and Saka had been on his arse 3 times I turned it off .
Unwatchable for me.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7816 on: April 24, 2024, 12:41:13 pm »
How good is odegaard, that defence splitting pass for the third goal was ridiculous, couldve had an even better assist when the keeper saved from Havertz. For me hes player of the year this season. Superb talent, and still just 25. Not long ago he was failed potential and a player that never lived up to the hype he got as a kid.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 12:43:20 pm by The North Bank »

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7817 on: April 24, 2024, 01:04:42 pm »
I think people wanting City to win it ahead of Arsenal is bit petty. Sure Arteta is a plonker, but Arsenal aren’t a cheating shitstain on the fabric of football. I hope it’s them if we fail to win it.
Likely because of the Arsenal fans on here.

Offline Bullet500

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7818 on: April 24, 2024, 01:07:53 pm »

Totally expect Arsenal to spend north of 100m again in summer. More if few players leave.

Offline Bullet500

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7819 on: April 24, 2024, 01:14:00 pm »
Feel Klopp has generally done the same. Throw £30-40m at players as usually the ones worth recruiting cost around this much: Fabinho, Naby Keita, Cody Gakpo, Sadio Mane, Luis Diaz to name a few. The only difference is Klopp has sold well.

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7820 on: April 24, 2024, 01:19:16 pm »
Totally expect Arsenal to spend north of 100m again in summer. More if few players leave.
It’s the Arteta way

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7821 on: April 24, 2024, 01:24:13 pm »
Feel Klopp has generally done the same. Throw £30-40m at players as usually the ones worth recruiting cost around this much: Fabinho, Naby Keita, Cody Gakpo, Sadio Mane, Luis Diaz to name a few. The only difference is Klopp has sold well.

Point being they were all successes (jury out on Naby but that's for another thread). Tierney, Pepe, Viera all contributed next to fuck all but haven't impacted going out and spending £100m on Rice etc. Situation with the keeper as well. Buy Ramsdale. Think 12 month later "actually nah, I'm not having him" and buy another for similar money.

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7822 on: April 24, 2024, 01:27:47 pm »
How good is odegaard, that defence splitting pass for the third goal was ridiculous, couldve had an even better assist when the keeper saved from Havertz. For me hes player of the year this season. Superb talent, and still just 25. Not long ago he was failed potential and a player that never lived up to the hype he got as a kid.

Brilliant footballer, everything he does looks effortless. Do think the next step is to really show it in the games against the best opposition.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7823 on: April 24, 2024, 01:38:55 pm »
Brilliant footballer, everything he does looks effortless. Do think the next step is to really show it in the games against the best opposition.

Agreed

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7824 on: April 24, 2024, 01:56:29 pm »
A very random celebrity fan.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/adpux9yZURU

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7825 on: April 24, 2024, 02:03:47 pm »
So Arne Slot at Liverpool …. A bit of a a left field appointment isnt it , not one of the names everyone been touting around.

Hope he gets more time than people here were prepared to give Arteta. Tough audience.

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7826 on: April 24, 2024, 02:31:14 pm »
So Arne Slot at Liverpool …. A bit of a a left field appointment isnt it , not one of the names everyone been touting around.

Hope he gets more time than people here were prepared to give Arteta. Tough audience.
Arteta is a prick tho.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7827 on: April 24, 2024, 02:50:48 pm »
Arteta is a prick tho.

He won you over in the end

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #7828 on: April 24, 2024, 03:04:46 pm »

Arteta coming up to what, 4 seasons without a trophy? Arne would kill for that amount of leeway!

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7829 on: April 24, 2024, 03:06:07 pm »
Arteta coming up to what, 4 seasons without a trophy? Arne would kill for that amount of leeway!
Especially after outspending everyone else.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #7830 on: April 24, 2024, 03:09:54 pm »
Especially after outspending everyone else.

Careful now.

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7831 on: April 24, 2024, 03:10:16 pm »
He won you over in the end
Nah, he’s too much like the Arsenal fans on here.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7832 on: April 24, 2024, 03:20:38 pm »

Ten Hag won a trophy in his first season, Arne has a lot to live up to, to match his countryman

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7833 on: April 24, 2024, 03:33:02 pm »

Risky appointment but so was Arteta and that has worked out for you.

Certainly a better option than Amorim coming in. His inspiration is Mourinho and finding ways to stop the opposition.

Slot is a fan of the football Arteta, Guardiola, De Zerbi and Spaletti serve. Some good indications of his taste there.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7834 on: April 24, 2024, 03:39:02 pm »
Risky appointment but so was Arteta and that has worked out for you.

Certainly a better option than Amorim coming in. His inspiration is Mourinho and finding ways to stop the opposition.

Slot is a fan of the football Arteta, Guardiola, De Zerbi and Spaletti serve. Some good indications of his taste there.

Spurs last season were linked with a lot of managers. From reading about them the only one that worried me was Slot, I was glad in the end they never got him (although ange has done well for them, mate).
But thats going purely on reading up what’s online , I remember being worried about the Ten Hag appointment at United because he was getting rave reviews, we know how that turned out.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 03:48:03 pm by The North Bank »

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #7835 on: April 24, 2024, 04:36:27 pm »

Agreed on that, sublime footballer, think he will be top of the City wish-list next summer.  They'll get him too.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7836 on: April 24, 2024, 06:20:05 pm »
Agreed on that, sublime footballer, think he will be top of the City wish-list next summer.  They'll get him too.

100%, if City want him City will get him, hed be the perfect KDB replacement and we cant stand in his way if City come calling. Itll be a case of thank you and good luck.

Can he hack it at an elite club like city, after failing at real, thats another box he ll have to tick, part of me cant wait to find out.

Offline Bullet500

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7837 on: April 24, 2024, 06:27:59 pm »
Point being they were all successes (jury out on Naby but that's for another thread). Tierney, Pepe, Viera all contributed next to fuck all but haven't impacted going out and spending £100m on Rice etc. Situation with the keeper as well. Buy Ramsdale. Think 12 month later "actually nah, I'm not having him" and buy another for similar money.
We are talking of Arteta here, right?

Arteta's only big money miss is Vieira who has been out injured this season. This season he is basically the 35m Gravenberch - out injured.

Ramsdale? Even then Raya was the priority. But you have to make do with what's available in the market. If Ramsdale goes, which he will, think it will be for a similar amount.

List of Arteta's signings: https://www.transfermarkt.us/mikel-arteta/spielertransfers/trainer/47620

Failures (debatable or not): Fabio Vieira (€35m), Lokonga (€18m), Pablo Mari (€14m), Nuno Tavares (€8m), Willian (free), Cedric (free).
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 06:35:54 pm by Bullet500 »

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7838 on: April 24, 2024, 06:50:07 pm »
We are talking of Arteta here, right?

Arteta's only big money miss is Vieira who has been out injured this season. This season he is basically the 35m Gravenberch - out injured.

Ramsdale? Even then Raya was the priority. But you have to make do with what's available in the market. If Ramsdale goes, which he will, think it will be for a similar amount.

List of Arteta's signings: https://www.transfermarkt.us/mikel-arteta/spielertransfers/trainer/47620

Failures (debatable or not): Fabio Vieira (€35m), Lokonga (€18m), Pablo Mari (€14m), Nuno Tavares (€8m), Willian (free), Cedric (free).

I wouldnt write Vieira and Lokonga off yet. Still very young players

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7839 on: April 24, 2024, 07:36:51 pm »
They just showed on sky the last time Everton beat Liverpool at Goodison…..

Its only Arteta scoring with a belter from outside the box!