Author Topic: COVID-19:VERIFIED news sources, 0 politishit, 0 CONSPIRACY SHITE  (Read 3495246 times)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Wuhan Coronavirus
« Reply #240 on: February 23, 2020, 04:17:23 pm »
Four of UK lot taken off the Cruise liner have tested positive.

Offline davidlpool1982

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #241 on: February 23, 2020, 04:19:41 pm »
Eh, I'm not that worried. If I get it, I get it and stay in bed. If I die, I die. Gonna happen one day anyway. As long as people don't go crazy and start hoarding food, water and medical supplies we'll be fine.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #242 on: February 23, 2020, 04:19:47 pm »
And again  :butt

It’s a thread about coronavirus and it’d be good to see the latest news and what’s going on rather than just seeing you trying to come across as knowing more than everyone else and getting the arse when it’s shown that you don’t.

Might be a good point to the end this "debate" on then? Bickering over minutae and slight differences is a bit a waste of cyberspace, yes.
Linudden.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: February 23, 2020, 04:23:20 pm »
Might be a good point to the end this "debate" on then? Bickering over minutae and slight differences is a bit a waste of cyberspace, yes.

You already did, you chose not to engage with the points that showed up your assertions as incorrect. But yes, would be good if you could also now stop moving the thread away from discussions on the topic too.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #244 on: February 23, 2020, 04:26:29 pm »
Not sure how widespread it was, and I get odd push alerts cos of chronic stuff landing me in algorithms flagging up 'vulnerable', but I got a text from NHS about this. Basically saying 'if you think you've got it, call us - don't go to your GP'. Assume most one can really do for prevention is just step up on hand hygiene, as well as not being a tramp with coughs and sneezes?
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: February 23, 2020, 04:32:11 pm »
Not sure how widespread it was, and I get odd push alerts cos of chronic stuff landing me in algorithms flagging up 'vulnerable', but I got a text from NHS about this. Basically saying 'if you think you've got it, call us - don't go to your GP'. Assume most one can really do for prevention is just step up on hand hygiene, as well as not being a tramp with coughs and sneezes?

Yep. Short of saying avoid contact with anyone thats as much as they can advise.

What is the situation around those travelling back from SE Asia? My niece is back to school next week and one of her classmates is part Vietnamese and who travelled there a week before and during half term.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: February 23, 2020, 04:33:53 pm »
Assume most one can really do for prevention is just step up on hand hygiene, as well as not being a tramp with coughs and sneezes?

Yep, be thorough in handwashing and 'catch' sneezes in a tissue and bin it.

If you're out and about, a pair of gloves isn't the worst idea. Aside from the immediate protection from fomites, it helps remind you not to touch your eyes and mouth in between washing your hands (in a less dramatic way than wearing a mask, which evidence shows really doesn't protect you - only somewhat protects others if you are carrying an infection)

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: February 23, 2020, 04:34:12 pm »
Eh, I'm not that worried. If I get it, I get it and stay in bed. If I die, I die. Gonna happen one day anyway. As long as people don't go crazy and start hoarding food, water and medical supplies we'll be fine.
Shit. When you put it like that... :o

:)
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: February 23, 2020, 04:36:41 pm »
It wouldn't be a News & Current Affairs thread without Linudden confidently asserting things with 100% confidence about subjects they actually know a lot less about than they think.

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: February 23, 2020, 04:51:27 pm »
That rate is 2.3% but is a flawed formula comparing deaths with cases (most of which are subject to ongoing treatment).

A more accurate formula is comparing death numbers v those that have recovered.  This is circa 10%.  But it is a moving number presently.

Well, I’m not sure if you’re right or wrong on this, but being from HK, the number that we have been given is 2%, as it seems that a large majority of cases diagnosed go under the mild category (over 80% at last count), and only about 10% are supposed to be considered serious or critical cases. Of those cases, the mortality rate is between 10-20%, or something like that, as you said the line keeps moving. A lot of this data comes from China, so anyone can contest their authenticity. But it seems to be playing out the same way across the world.

SARS I remember was around 17%, and it was a lot deadlier than this today. The infection rate was not high, but once you were infected, you had a 1 in 5 chance of dying. The prevailing medical theory we’re getting here is that the easier for the virus to transmit, the less likely it will be fatal, at least when it comes to coronaviruses.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #250 on: February 23, 2020, 04:52:39 pm »
Yep. Short of saying avoid contact with anyone thats as much as they can advise.

Yep, be thorough in handwashing and 'catch' sneezes in a tissue and bin it.

If you're out and about, a pair of gloves isn't the worst idea. Aside from the immediate protection from fomites, it helps remind you not to touch your eyes and mouth in between washing your hands (in a less dramatic way than wearing a mask, which evidence shows really doesn't protect you - only somewhat protects others if you are carrying an infection)

Ta.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: February 23, 2020, 05:03:43 pm »

Our city is currently the laughingstock of the world, we have people stockpiling toilet paper, among other things (there was even an armed robbery where they stole 600 12 roll packs of toilet paper). It’s so embarrassing, put it down to people believing in anything they’re sent on social media.

On the other hand, because of our experience with SARS and the subsequent flu’s, it looks like we’ve literally stamped out this year’s flu season. People are religiously washing their hands, everyone’s got a mask on, making sure we don’t touch our face without washing. People are also spending less time in crowded places voluntarily, and cleaning public facilities on a constant basis. The amount of cases we got even though we are just across the border from Guangdong province is honestly quite impressive.

But for the most part, people are getting a bit more relaxed now. I was out hiking today, and the trails are chock full of people. It’s like the start of spring for us, the temperature’s warm, and the weather’s nice. People can finally get out to get some exercise in fresh air, since all the gyms are closed.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: February 23, 2020, 05:07:52 pm »
Our city is currently the laughingstock of the world, we have people stockpiling toilet paper, among other things (there was even an armed robbery where they stole 600 12 roll packs of toilet paper). It’s so embarrassing, put it down to people believing in anything they’re sent on social media.

On the other hand, because of our experience with SARS and the subsequent flu’s, it looks like we’ve literally stamped out this year’s flu season. People are religiously washing their hands, everyone’s got a mask on, making sure we don’t touch our face without washing. People are also spending less time in crowded places voluntarily, and cleaning public facilities on a constant basis. The amount of cases we got even though we are just across the border from Guangdong province is honestly quite impressive.

But for the most part, people are getting a bit more relaxed now. I was out hiking today, and the trails are chock full of people. It’s like the start of spring for us, the temperature’s warm, and the weather’s nice. People can finally get out to get some exercise in fresh air, since all the gyms are closed.

Your city is...?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: February 23, 2020, 05:09:16 pm »
Your city is...?

I mentioned it above, I live in HK. Hong Kong for those of you who can’t handle abbreviations.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: February 23, 2020, 05:10:37 pm »
I mentioned it above, I live in HK. Hong Kong for those of you who can’t handle abbreviations.

Sorry I completely missed your post as I read the latest one first.

Online Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: February 23, 2020, 05:17:07 pm »

:lmao :lmao
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: February 23, 2020, 05:38:43 pm »
Well, I’m not sure if you’re right or wrong on this, but being from HK, the number that we have been given is 2%,

SARS I remember was around 17%, and it was a lot deadlier than this today. The infection rate was not high, but once you were infected, you had a 1 in 5 chance of dying. The prevailing medical theory we’re getting here is that the easier for the virus to transmit, the less likely it will be fatal, at least when it comes to coronaviruses.

Your '2%' figure will relate to the comparison of deaths against total cases but in terms of referring to 'actual' mortality rate is flawed (as per my previous post).  My source is the following;

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-death-rate/

Your Sars figure is accurate as this refers to the 'actual' rate after the event. 

The following is also interesting;

https://towardsdatascience.com/why-the-coronavirus-mortality-rate-is-misleading-cc63f571b6a6
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 05:41:36 pm by TSC »

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: February 23, 2020, 05:57:36 pm »

What is the situation around those travelling back from SE Asia? My niece is back to school next week and one of her classmates is part Vietnamese and who travelled there a week before and during half term.

Some employers have suspended all travel to and from anywhere in the far east. 

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: February 23, 2020, 06:18:45 pm »
Is there a breaking point with viruses where the capacity to treat people affects mortality? As in, preventable deaths happen as services are overwhelmed?

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: February 23, 2020, 06:27:55 pm »
Is there a breaking point with viruses where the capacity to treat people affects mortality? As in, preventable deaths happen as services are overwhelmed?

I was reading about this earlier, akbeit from a random Redditor and not a verifie expert by any means. Apparently the percentage of peopel with the virus that require treatment with ventilators is high, meaning that health services will be quickly overwhelmed, with the knock on effect of the death rate from Coronavirus and other unrelated things rising.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: February 23, 2020, 06:31:56 pm »

Latest from the Guardian.  Gives an indication of the seriousness of the current situation.  To respond to your question this will primarily be informed by how 'serious' this becomes which is still unknown and will obviously be impacted by resources at a country level within respective health services.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/23/world-is-approaching-coronavirus-tipping-point-experts-say

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #261 on: February 23, 2020, 06:44:48 pm »
Its Milan fashion week this week and that has the huge potential of spreading any virus.

Indeed. It could cause outbreaks of people wearing shit overpriced clobber around the globe.

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: February 23, 2020, 07:44:38 pm »
So how worried should we be? The means of stopping people being infected doesn't seem to be working. This becomes a pandemic, which it seems like it will, how bad is it going to be?

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: February 23, 2020, 07:56:29 pm »
So how worried should we be? The means of stopping people being infected doesn't seem to be working. This becomes a pandemic, which it seems like it will, how bad is it going to be?

Nobody really knows. Its not known how many more people will have it, whether the isolation period needs to be longer, whether it will mutate more, whether its been passed on to other areas and we are just waiting for it to be known.

The last few days have been particularly grim because of it really increasing in the middle east and europe. All the communication yesterday and today from the authorities doesnt seem very positive.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: February 23, 2020, 08:22:27 pm »
Four of UK lot taken off the Cruise liner have tested positive.

These 4 apparently are now at Arrowe Park, and flight back included government officials and health workers.  Sky reporting they tested positive before they left but results weren’t released until they returned to UK.  Don’t know how accurate that report is.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: February 23, 2020, 08:27:39 pm »
Austria has stopped a train from Italy at its border as passengers are suspected of being infected.  Very fluid situation at the mo.

Watching the news is like watching some sort of disaster film. 

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: February 23, 2020, 08:29:38 pm »
Austria has stopped a train from Italy at its border as passengers are suspected of being infected.  Very fluid situation at the mo.

Watching the news is like watching some sort of disaster film. 

The last few days have been pretty grim. Its surely only a matter of time until there are really severe travel restrictions across much of Western Europe.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: February 23, 2020, 08:39:25 pm »
The last few days have been pretty grim. Its surely only a matter of time until there are really severe travel restrictions across much of Western Europe.
I doubt any such restrictions will curtail the spread of the disease now. But it might slow the infection rate some, which means that health facilities will be under less stress. But surely, there will come a time where anything done now will seem like a drop in the ocean.

I suppose this only goes to show that we are lucky that the virus appears to be relatively non-lethal. Some day, of course, there will be something as (or more) virulent and with a much higher mortality rate. Something has to shift in how meat industry operates across the world before it is too late.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: February 23, 2020, 08:41:29 pm »
I doubt any such restrictions will curtail the spread of the disease now. But it might slow the infection rate some, which means that health facilities will be under less stress. But surely, there will come a time where anything done now will seem like a drop in the ocean.

I suppose this only goes to show that we are lucky that the virus appears to be relatively non-lethal. Some day, of course, there will be something as (or more) virulent and with a much higher mortality rate. Something has to shift in how meat industry operates across the world before it is too late.

Yep. Bats need to be off the menu.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: February 23, 2020, 08:42:58 pm »

Could be.  Aside from government level I’d assume some companies may be making decisions re employee travel.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: February 23, 2020, 08:45:52 pm »
Could be.  Aside from government level I’d assume some companies may be making decisions re employee travel.

I have tickets booked for the States for the end of March. God knows what the situation will be by then.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: February 23, 2020, 08:49:43 pm »
I have tickets booked for the States for the end of March. God knows what the situation will be by then.

Yep from a personal perspective I’ve hols booked later this year in Italy of all places. Hols were booked in dec.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: February 23, 2020, 08:52:54 pm »
I’ve got Glastonbury tickets which is surely one of many events under threat if this continues to develop the way that it has done.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: February 23, 2020, 08:55:34 pm »
I’ve got Glastonbury tickets which is surely one of many events under threat if this continues to develop the way that it has done.

Not that its ever a good time but it could not have been in a worse year with the Euro’s and Olympics, with the latter in Japan.

Lets just win our next 5 games.

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: February 23, 2020, 09:06:50 pm »
Not that its ever a good time but it could not have been in a worse year with the Euro’s and Olympics, with the latter in Japan.

Lets just win our next 5 games.

Again I have no experience or knowledge of this but is it really possible that this lasts up to then? I mean that's 4 to 6 months.

Surely having 4 to 6 months of major restrictions to travel and the general public is just as damaging as the disease itself.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: February 23, 2020, 09:17:10 pm »
I’m going to Holland in a couple of weeks. Fingers crossed nothing happens there.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: February 23, 2020, 09:17:51 pm »
Austria has now stopped all trains coming out of and going to Italy.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: February 23, 2020, 09:22:45 pm »

Surely having 4 to 6 months of major restrictions to travel and the general public is just as damaging as the disease itself.

Restrictions will obviously impact life and be uncomfortable for some, but they won’t kill folk.  Whereas the virus may.

Offline FaitAccompli

• Kopite
« Reply #278 on: February 23, 2020, 09:23:44 pm »
Restrictions will obviously impact life and be uncomfortable for some, but they won’t kill folk.  Whereas the virus may.

I guess they're thinking more of the economic impact that major travel restrictions might have?

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: February 23, 2020, 09:25:19 pm »

I dunno, a ban on travel (and thus imports/exports) would certainly result in deaths, and the effect of no travel on the economy would cause all kinds of issues. Probably bigger issues than the virus.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.