Author Topic: Gerrard - quoted as 'Gerrard open to move from Liverpool'  (Read 143664 times)

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Close your eyes...and imagine it's Jason McAteer
Re: Gerrard - quoted as 'Gerrard open to move from Liverpool'
« Reply #80 on: October 31, 2014, 02:47:32 pm »
I expect we'll soon be seeing "Gerrard to the MLS" stories shortly or the even better "Gerrard could play in China/UAE/Malaysia next season."

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #81 on: October 31, 2014, 02:48:11 pm »
If he wants to move to a club that is in a better position than Liverpool, he'd obviously have to accept becoming an impact player off the bench and/or starter in cup games/occasional European games.

Despite his age and diminishing ability, it's quite obvious he still has a good amount in the tank, and a good amount in the tank for a player of Gerrard's ilk is still a hell of a lot better than most other players out there.

If Mourinho found Chelsea down 1-0 to United this past weekend in the 60th minute instead of up 1-0, you telling me that Lewis Baker or John f'n Obi Mikel, who were both on the bench this weekend, get in ahead of Gerrard? Nope, not in a million years.

Chelsea have been very smart though and moved the majority of their older highly paid players on and brought in young hungry talented players in their place so why would they reverse that policy for Gerrard.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #82 on: October 31, 2014, 02:48:58 pm »
It doesn't work like that though if your agent is Struan Marshall. This is Carra 09-10 all over again. Start  giving interviews to Bascombe about the possibility of leaving if you don't get the contract you want. Make it clear that you want to stay but it's the nasty club or the manager who don't want to keep you enough.

Timing is everything can anyone remember what happened last time we were due to play Madrid at the Bernabeu. Perfect time to drop a little hand grenade just before a massive week for the Club. A bad result in mid week and giving Gerrard a new deal can be a little tonic for the fans in much the same way giving Gerrard a new deal a few years ago papered over the cracks of not signing anyone during the transfer window.

Looking forward to the SFX mob in the media demanding that Gerrard is given a new deal.

The worst aspect for me though is the " I knew this would happen when Luis left bollocks" which is both hugely disrespectful to the players we have brought in and incredibly defeatist. I bet Southampton are glad their senior players weren't so defeatist in the summer because they would be in the bottom three now.

Generally agree with this.  There are darker forces at play here i.e. agents.  Sometimes you wish players wouldn't play along but you are asking for too much.

Offline BostonScouse

• grumbles more after a win - clueless muppet or diamond fella?
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #83 on: October 31, 2014, 02:50:09 pm »
I expect we'll soon be seeing "Gerrard to the MLS" stories shortly or the even better "Gerrard could play in China/UAE/Malaysia next season."
It may not be in his personality as a competitor, but MLS would be perfect for him. He'd make a boatload and theres many teams they could build around him.

Offline Simon C

• witty wording
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tries to post intelligently and normally fails..
« Reply #84 on: October 31, 2014, 02:50:11 pm »
The simple fact of the matter is do we have a player to replace him in the current role he fulfills for me the answer is no. So on that basis he should be offered a contract extension.

As highlighted previously the length of the contract, wage and playing time assurances could be a sticking point. It would appear that Can has been brought in to do the Gerrard role and for me he isn't ready yet and won't be for a season or 2.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: October 31, 2014, 02:51:07 pm »
If he wants to go then we should let him. If he wants to stay then we should give him a new contract.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: October 31, 2014, 02:51:42 pm »
Chelsea have been very smart though and moved the majority of their older highly paid players on and brought in young hungry talented players in their place so why would they reverse that policy for Gerrard.

Chelsea brought in Fabregas (27), Filipe Luis (29), and Drogba (36) this year among others. They're clearly still not afraid of bringing in experienced players.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Hank Scorpio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #87 on: October 31, 2014, 02:51:54 pm »
If he wants to move to a club that is in a better position than Liverpool, he'd obviously have to accept becoming an impact player off the bench and/or starter in cup games/occasional European games.

Despite his age and diminishing ability, it's quite obvious he still has a good amount in the tank, and a good amount in the tank for a player of Gerrard's ilk is still a hell of a lot better than most other players out there.

If Mourinho found Chelsea down 1-0 to United this past weekend in the 60th minute instead of up 1-0, you telling me that Lewis Baker or John f'n Obi Mikel, who were both on the bench this weekend, get in ahead of Gerrard? Nope, not in a million years.
He's not going Chelsea or City.

Unless he wants a stint in Serie A with Juventus or Milan, it's more than likely the MLS for him.

That or sign the deal with Liverpool.

Offline BostonScouse

• Kopite
« Reply #88 on: October 31, 2014, 02:52:12 pm »
I dont know if Mikel is "better" than gerrard but he certainly offers more to them than gerrard does as a defensive sub

Offline Hank Scorpio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #89 on: October 31, 2014, 02:52:47 pm »
If he wants to go then we should let him. If he wants to stay then we should give him a new contract.
I'm sure it's the terms of the contract which will the point of contention i.e. length/value of contract.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #90 on: October 31, 2014, 02:55:35 pm »
The simple fact of the matter is do we have a player to replace him in the current role he fulfills for me the answer is no. So on that basis he should be offered a contract extension.

As highlighted previously the length of the contract, wage and playing time assurances could be a sticking point. It would appear that Can has been brought in to do the Gerrard role and for me he isn't ready yet and won't be for a season or 2.

Very fortunate for Stevie that he has managed to create a role within the team that the manager has never foreseen or used before isn't it ?

Sure if you are going to play a deep lying slow immobile playmaker then Stevie is your man or you could forget that and play the way the vast majority of successful teams play.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: October 31, 2014, 02:56:00 pm »
He's not going Chelsea or City.

Unless he wants a stint in Serie A with Juventus or Milan, it's more than likely the MLS for him.

That or sign the deal with Liverpool.

I agree, was just making a point that he's still good enough to at least get on the bench for teams with pretty legitimate shots of winning the league.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: October 31, 2014, 02:58:29 pm »
Very fortunate for Stevie that he has managed to create a role within the team that the manager has never foreseen or used before isn't it ?

Sure if you are going to play a deep lying slow immobile playmaker then Stevie is your man or you could forget that and play the way the vast majority of successful teams play.

Yawn.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #93 on: October 31, 2014, 02:58:37 pm »
Biggest load of bollocks I've heard all year - how the fuck can you make this one of the top stories of the day?

So, let's get this straight, someone who will be 35 next May, MIGHT decide to play on for another team, IF Liverpool don''t give him a new contract? Lot's of ifs & buts there.

Stevie is sometimes too honest for his own good but we are very far away from that happening. If the club decided to move on then we have to accept that else we will never be able to replace him properly.

I remember Carra saying something similar once, and his last game was in a red shirt.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #94 on: October 31, 2014, 02:58:52 pm »
The worst aspect for me though is the " I knew this would happen when Luis left bollocks" which is both hugely disrespectful to the players we have brought in and incredibly defeatist. I bet Southampton are glad their senior players weren't so defeatist in the summer because they would be in the bottom three now.

I agree this aspect of the interview is a bit odd. Hopefully, it's just a matter of the tone not properly coming through the text. Tempering fan expectations through sharing their disappointment doesn't seem quite right. After assembling a squad and manager capable of finishing second in the league on limited resources, I'm not sure the legendary captain should leave open the suggestion that he is disappointed with how the owners do their business because he probably won't win a league title. He can say all that after he retires or leaves the club. Carra hasn't been short of opinions since he left, and I don't expect Gerrard will be either.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #95 on: October 31, 2014, 02:59:12 pm »
someone remind me, please: who was the major player we lost after coming second in 2002?  i'm struggling to recall.  other than not extending anelka's loan, i can't remember who else we let go that bascombe could describe as a major player?

or was signing diouf and diao equivalent to losing suarez or alonso :)  i can see the argument there...
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2014, 02:59:36 pm »
Just Gerrard nudging the bored to hurry up and make him an offer.

He is not leaving unless we don't want him, Gerrard an insecure individual wants his future wrapped up, time of year the kids school needs sorting etc.

If he was moving he would have done it when Bayern came in for him recently.

He will get his medal here.     
No time for caution.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #97 on: October 31, 2014, 03:00:02 pm »
Chelsea brought in Fabregas (27), Filipe Luis (29), and Drogba (36) this year among others. They're clearly still not afraid of bringing in experienced players.

Fabregas is at the peak of his powers and the missing piece as Gerrard put it whilst I would be amazed if Luis or Drogba are on anything like the money that Gerrard would command in wages.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #98 on: October 31, 2014, 03:03:43 pm »
Yawn.

What are you saying mate that Rodgers hasn't altered his philosophy to accommodate Gerrard ?
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline End Product

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: October 31, 2014, 03:06:47 pm »
someone remind me, please: who was the major player we lost after coming second in 2002?  i'm struggling to recall.  other than not extending anelka's loan, i can't remember who else we let go that bascombe could describe as a major player?

or was signing diouf and diao equivalent to losing suarez or alonso :)  i can see the argument there...

Fowler was sold midseason Anelka brought in who was good, then Diouf.

We kind of swapped Folwer for Diouf, we lost Barmby, Gary Mac, Ziege, Babbel, Litmanen, Berger who were good  players who were not well replaced.       
No time for caution.

Offline Simon C

• witty wording
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: October 31, 2014, 03:08:14 pm »
Just Gerrard nudging the bored to hurry up and make him an offer.

He is not leaving unless we don't want him, Gerrard an insecure individual wants his future wrapped up, time of year the kids school needs sorting etc.

If he was moving he would have done it when Bayern came in for him recently.

He will get his medal here.     
I wouldn't say he is insecure, if he leaves he won't be short of offers. He future looks very secure from where I'm sitting.

Offline indlfc

• Moany whiner.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool will always be my home.
« Reply #101 on: October 31, 2014, 03:08:42 pm »

After all he is a fan of the club. Apart from the very 'few' posters here, RAWK had/have the same feeling.

However i hope he is only speaking his emotions, hope our manager is not frustrated with our Owners strategy.
There is only one family, it is the Liverpool family.

Offline BostonScouse

• Kopite
« Reply #102 on: October 31, 2014, 03:09:13 pm »
I wouldn't say he is insecure, if he leaves he won't be short of offers. He future looks very secure from where I'm sitting.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: October 31, 2014, 03:11:52 pm »
Fabregas is at the peak of his powers and the missing piece as Gerrard put it whilst I would be amazed if Luis or Drogba are on anything like the money that Gerrard would command in wages.

Do you think it's unrealistic to think that Gerrard would take a significant cut in wages to be a mostly impact bench player on a team that are favorites to win the league (PL, Serie A, La Liga)? I don't.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: October 31, 2014, 03:13:46 pm »
Hes' not leaving why is this up for discussion?

Offline BostonScouse

• Kopite
« Reply #105 on: October 31, 2014, 03:14:11 pm »
Do you think it's unrealistic to think that Gerrard would take a significant cut in wages to be a mostly impact bench player on a team that are favorites to win the league (PL, Serie A, La Liga)? I don't.
I could see him being Pirlo's backup. Barca and Real? No chance

Offline Simon C

• witty wording
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: October 31, 2014, 03:16:15 pm »

That was when he was playing a different role and was a box to box player which he is no longer.

The question is do we have a player that can fulfill the role he does and do it better than he does?

There is also the big question of leadership, Jordan Henderson is not ready in my opinion to be the full time captin of Liverpool, for me 2 more season watching and learning from Geaard would be perfect.

Offline End Product

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: October 31, 2014, 03:17:44 pm »

More of a general observation, strikes me as a person who misjudges how good he actually, he would not be short of offers but i doubt he would want to leave the area.
No time for caution.

Offline frikkibj

• Anny Roader
« Reply #108 on: October 31, 2014, 03:18:07 pm »
"Ten years ago, Steven Gerrard gave one of his most candid interviews, admitting he may have no choice but to leave Liverpool. The following May he lifted the European Cup"

The way i see it then he is just doing his part in recreating History, cue him scoring a last minute winner against Basel in the last group game.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: October 31, 2014, 03:18:44 pm »
Speaking from a clearly footballing (non sentimental) point of view, would anybody really care if Gerrard left us this summer? To put it another way, if anyone other than Gerrard was putting in the performances that Gerrard is putting in, would anyone mind that player being sold?

I wouldn't. Especially not if a more suitable replacement was brought in.

Please do not take this as a criticism or me pandering to have Gerrard removed from the team. It is not. I would hate him to leave in this way given everything that he has done for us and he should be allowed to leave on his own terms. The thought of him playing for another Premiership team and scoring against us kills me inside.

However, for footballing reasons, it probably wouldn't be a bad move for any parties involved.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #110 on: October 31, 2014, 03:18:45 pm »
Honestly, who'd take him at 35 other than QPR, some rich Qatari club, or the MLS? Stevie knows very well that he's staying here.

However, it's concerning that he'd come out and say something like this. We don't usually do our laundry in public ffs. He really hasn't been playing with a smile on his face since last season. Perhaps the fact that we squandered the title, Luis leaving and knowing that he won't win the title here as a player has really disillusioned him with football, in which case it'd be best to hang up his boots than go elsewhere. If not, then give him a new fucking contract and be over with it.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #111 on: October 31, 2014, 03:19:36 pm »
After all he is a fan of the club. Apart from the very 'few' posters here, RAWK had/have the same feeling.

However i hope he is only speaking his emotions, hope our manager is not frustrated with our Owners strategy.

If you were in the trenches and things were going badly would you want your leader effectively having a pop at his men or would you want him leading from the front, building up the morale of his troops and talking up his men's talents.

We have got what we have got and ahead of a massive week for the Club the captain for me should be looking to improve the mood and drive on his men.

The other thing that grates is Gerrard cupping his ear when he scored during the derby having a pop at the fans who had been criticizing him but saying fuck all about Carra slaughtering Balotelli and Mignolet recently. I wonder if Carra was slaughtering Gerard on TV whether he would say “I understand Jamie’s opinion. He is on TV and has to give opinions".
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline BostonScouse

• Kopite
« Reply #112 on: October 31, 2014, 03:20:16 pm »
That was when he was playing a different role and was a box to box player which he is no longer.

The question is do we have a player that can fulfill the role he does and do it better than he does?

There is also the big question of leadership, Jordan Henderson is not ready in my opinion to be the full time captin of Liverpool, for me 2 more season watching and learning from Geaard would be perfect.
I don't really see where that should matter. For comparison, here's Pirlo:

We don't have to have a DLP either

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: October 31, 2014, 03:21:24 pm »
Pirlos' playing in Seria A. A much slower league. Stevie would have the time of his life over there with the play.

Offline Dakota

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: October 31, 2014, 03:23:12 pm »
Speaking from a clearly footballing (non sentimental) point of view, would anybody really care if Gerrard left us this summer?

Brendan Rodgers and the majority of his co-workers would, I would guess. Granted, they may not be as knowledgeable about football as most of the esteemed posters in this thread...

Thinking about crowdfunding a Save The Piano Movers! charitable association.

Offline BostonScouse

• Kopite
« Reply #115 on: October 31, 2014, 03:23:52 pm »
Pirlos' playing in Seria A. A much slower league. Stevie would have the time of his life over there with the play.
Defenses are better in Serie A than the PL. For a player lkke Pirlo there is no aspect of his game that would suffer in the PL. This is demonstrated everytime he kicks the shit out of England.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #116 on: October 31, 2014, 03:25:28 pm »

Firstly Gerrard is a homebird and gets incredibly home sick for me probably the main reason he didn't move earlier in his career and secondly I think he is cut from the same cloth as Carra and simply couldn't put up with being a squad player.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Simon C

• witty wording
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: October 31, 2014, 03:25:43 pm »
I don't really see where that should matter. For comparison, here's Pirlo:

We don't have to have a DLP either
This has no relevance they are completley different players. This optima stat shit does my head in, what the whizzy charts don't show is his lifelong commitment to the club, that fact he could have left for far more lucrative deals and his desire to do the best for Liverpool Football club.

What stats don't show you is the impact the player has on the players around him and experience he imparts to his teammates.

For me he is the best player to have played for us and if he gets a sentimental final contract it's the least he deserves. Would we have won the 2005 European Cup without him I doubt it.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #118 on: October 31, 2014, 03:29:07 pm »
What exactly is this contribution that can not be bettered? 1 assist in 9 games, 1 goal from a free-kick and 1 penalty that Mario is just as good at.

Second half of last season yes, but this season his contribution doesn`t scream `Lucas or Allen can`t do what he does`, not to mention his goal threat from open play is practically non-existent. 

Offline Simon C

• witty wording
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: October 31, 2014, 03:31:09 pm »
What exactly is this contribution that can not be bettered? 1 assist in 9 games, 1 goal from a free-kick and 1 penalty that Mario is just as good at.

Second half of last season yes, but this season his contribution doesn`t scream `Lucas or Allen can`t do what he does`, not to mention his goal threat from open play is practically non-existent. 
OK answer this question is Jordan Henderson ready to be captain and if so on what basis?