Author Topic: Gerrard - quoted as 'Gerrard open to move from Liverpool'  (Read 143668 times)

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
Re: Gerrard - quoted as 'Gerrard open to move from Liverpool'
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2014, 01:52:17 pm »
Not sure of who would take him? He requires a team built around him, not many would give him that for a single year.

He'll stay here I'm sure of that.

Haha! He'd have contract offers from most of Europe within a few days, no doubt about it, apart from maybe Barca.

I think Draex was replying to Gerrard winning the Premier League.

Of course Gerrard could leave our shores but if he want to win this League, the question would be who would buy him?
City? Don't need him.
Chelsea? Got rid of Lampard, why would they need Gerrard?
Man Utd? Don't make me laugh. He knows better.
Arsenal? Doesn't have the mobility for Wengers side anymore. And Wenger is cheap. Won't pay Gerrard wages to be a spot starter.

imho..
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Dakota

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2014, 01:52:19 pm »
I'd have been shocked by any other type of headlines, to be honest.  ;D

To the OP: I think the original interview is in The Telegraph. It's a good read. Personally, I think posters here are always going to be inclined to project their own frustrations on a player's honest assessment of where we are at the moment. Expectation management is what I got from there.

You think Gerrard wants to play off the bench? Come on, this is possibly one of the major sticking points in him agreeing a contract with us.

So he's lying? HE's the one not agreeing a contract the club have (in this scenario) already offered him? And you know this because...
Thinking about crowdfunding a Save The Piano Movers! charitable association.

Offline Slinky

• Anny Roader
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2014, 01:52:57 pm »
If the club let him leave in the same way Chelsea did with Lampard that would be unforgivable in my eyes. Regardless of his contribution on the pitch, he deserves a new contract for his influence in the dressing room alone, especially considering how young and inexperienced most of our team is.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2014, 01:58:38 pm »
If the club let him leave in the same way Chelsea did with Lampard that would be unforgivable in my eyes. Regardless of his contribution on the pitch, he deserves a new contract for his influence in the dressing room alone, especially considering how young and inexperienced most of our team is.
That could only work if he was willing to be on the bench at times...don`t think he wants it nor would agree to it.

Offline Il Capitano

• Forza Liverpool. This thing of ours...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2014, 02:02:14 pm »
So he wants a new deal basically.

Offline indlfc

• Moany whiner.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool will always be my home.
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2014, 02:03:57 pm »
What would be the general feeling here if he is to win a title with City/Chelsea next season? Will you guys be happy for him ?
There is only one family, it is the Liverpool family.

Offline Michel

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2014, 02:05:35 pm »
This thread jumped the shark.

Offline N0rnIr0nRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2014, 02:05:48 pm »
Give him a new deal on whatever terms he wants.

He obviously wants to see out the rest of his career with us.
"I usually have a second pair of glasses but I can't find them because it's hard to find glasses without glasses!" Jürgen Klopp

Offline Slinky

• Anny Roader
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2014, 02:06:49 pm »
That could only work if he was willing to be on the bench at times...don`t think he wants it nor would agree to it.
nah, I think he fully accepts that he won't be starting every game, pretty sure he's said as much himself - he's not stupid and he knows that as players get older they will inevitably spend less minutes on the pitch. It's pretty clear from this interview that he's unhappy with the current situation and to be honest I'm pissed off that the club have allowed it to get to the stage where a club legend feels that he has to speak out to the press in order to put pressure on the board - apparently he wasn't even asked directly about the contract situation in the interview but brought it up himself.

Offline BostonScouse

• grumbles more after a win - clueless muppet or diamond fella?
  • Kopite
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2014, 02:10:07 pm »
I don't see how letting him leave would be "unforgiveable." If people want to advocate for using contracts as a "thank you" for legacies that's an understandable position, but it also then sets a precedent that it's an insult to any long time player who doesn't get one regardless of performance in the future.

The fact is that he should probably have to take less money here than he would elsewhere (a lesser team for whom he'd be more valuable) and he shouldn't play as much. Sentimentalities aside, thats not an ideal situation for either side. We don't want to have a Rooney situation here where we are forced to play him because he's the captain and on a contract that is burdensome even though he's not a part of our best lineup. And he doesn't want to just sit on the bench with a smaller paycheck than he could get at some other club.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with letting him leave for a few years and then bringing him back in a coaching capacity. But the fan and press sentiment will likely exert a strong influence on this one so we will ultimately get what we deserve.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 02:12:03 pm by BostonScouse »

Offline luckyluke

• A proponent of intercourse during accelerated perambulation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super bonanza extravaganza
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2014, 02:10:51 pm »
apparently he wasn't even asked directly about the contract situation in the interview but brought it up himself.
How do you know this?

Offline Michel

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2014, 02:12:49 pm »
Ladyman?

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2014, 02:15:17 pm »
What would be the general feeling here if he is to win a title with City/Chelsea next season? Will you guys be happy for him ?
Guess?
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline sambhi92

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Round the Fields of Anfield Road
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2014, 02:18:05 pm »
Need to give him the contract and let him see out his years on HIS terms. If he wants to leave and play somewhere else then we need to respect that, but the club must do everything they can and let Steven make his choice.
Round the Fields of Anfield Road

Offline BostonScouse

• Kopite
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2014, 02:18:34 pm »
He's nowhere near good enough at this point to play for either side. He wouldn't even make their bench.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2014, 02:18:49 pm »
You think Gerrard wants to play off the bench? Come on, this is possibly one of the major sticking points in him agreeing a contract with us.

he plays every minute of every game and would deserve a contract to reflect that.

He's still the first name on the teamsheet and Rodgers talks him up to death every week. Why would next season be different?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 02:20:52 pm by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Michel

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2014, 02:19:23 pm »
He's nowhere near good enough at this point to play for either side. He wouldn't even make their bench.

Wow.It is  time for me to stop reading this thread.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 02:21:30 pm by Michel »

Offline BostonScouse

• Kopite
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2014, 02:20:37 pm »
Need to give him the contract and let him see out his years on HIS terms. If he wants to leave and play somewhere else then we need to respect that, but the club must do everything they can and let Steven make his choice.
Why must the club do this? I thought they already paid him for past contributions...

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2014, 02:20:42 pm »

His terms?

So if he wants guaranteed starting spot in every game for the next 2 seasons? If he want's £200k a week?

That's not how the club has ever worked. The player, no matter if he is the club captain or the newbie, get's the contract which represents what he will be offering the club (on the pitch) during the time it runs.

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2014, 02:22:17 pm »
Must be frustrating for him though. Every time we get close to the title, we go backwards for one reason or another. Hope he stays. However if he wants to go, thank him for his service and shove him out and focus on the players we have. Still think he will stay like.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2014, 02:22:50 pm »
His terms?

So if he wants guaranteed starting spot in every game for the next 2 seasons? If he want's £200k a week?

That's not how the club has ever worked. The player, no matter if he is the club captain or the newbie, get's the contract which represents what he will be offering the club (on the pitch) during the time it runs.

he's got a guaranteed starting spot every game now. We've made a rod for our own backs as a result when it comes to negotiations.

Offline BostonScouse

• Kopite
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2014, 02:24:02 pm »
Wow.It's time for me to stop reading this thread.
I love the fake indignance without anything to back it up. Which of Chelseas or City's Midfielders do they drop to make room for him.

I am willingly to make a bet with anyone right now that if he does go to the market neither of those two teams will show any interest. If you think my opinion is wow-worthy you should be rushing to make it.

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hare Krishna
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2014, 02:24:20 pm »
I'm also utterly convinced he won't play for another PL team. Ever. If the worst does happen and no contract can be agreed then he'll be off for a whopping payday abroad, and will have no shortage of suitors. It would break my heart to see him in another teams colours though. If it were Dortmund I could live with it mind you.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 02:27:21 pm by zen »

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2014, 02:25:46 pm »
he's got a guaranteed starting spot every game now. We've made a rod for our own backs as a result when it comes to negotiations.

How has he got a guaranteed starting spot now? On ability maybe, in which case he will get the amount he deserves, he certainly doesn't have it contractually.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2014, 02:25:49 pm »

City would use him to great effect the way they've used Lampard. He won't want to be sat on anyones bench though. It's likely to be all or nothing which is the problem we've got.

Online swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2014, 02:27:55 pm »
Not like the Daily Fail to stir some shit up is it

Fuckers

An absolute nothing story

Offline Michel

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2014, 02:27:58 pm »
I love the fake indignance without anything to back it up. Which of Chelseas or City's Midfielders do they drop to make room for him.

I am willingly to make a bet with anyone right now that if he does go to the market neither of those two teams will show any interest. If you think my opinion is wow-worthy you should be rushing to make it.

You think for example that Frank Lampard who has played 6 games for Man City is in a better shape than Gerrard?Did you missed last season?

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2014, 02:29:35 pm »
Gerrard has seen other players get new contracts recently as he watched his current contract wind down. It's clear that he's pissed off, and it pisses me off that he's pissed off. So lots of pissing, and someone needs to stop it.

I know he's almost 35 and his diminishing ability is becoming more and more apparent, but if we pull a Chelsea/Lampard, I am going to be livid.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2014, 02:30:40 pm »
I am going to be livid.

Sounds like you already are. For next to no reason. He'll get an extension, he'll play regularly to piss Fromola off, and everyone's happy. :)
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2014, 02:31:04 pm »
Not meaning any offence, especially to those who will take it on behalf of Gerrard.

But what are his options?  Where can he realistically go?

His best option is Liverpool.  It's probably why we are reading about it this morning.

Offline BostonScouse

• Kopite
« Reply #71 on: October 31, 2014, 02:31:08 pm »
Lampard is a totally diffrent type of player who offers something completely different. And yes at this point he's more mobile than gerrard. They will replace him with something better next year anyway, he's a ffp holdover.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: October 31, 2014, 02:34:45 pm »
Sounds like you already are. For next to no reason. He'll get an extension, he'll play regularly to piss Fromola off, and everyone's happy. :)

Nah mate did you read my post? I'm not livid yet, only pissed off.  ;)

FWIW, I do think the club is going to offer him a new contract. 
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

Offline indlfc

• Moany whiner.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool will always be my home.
« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2014, 02:39:14 pm »
Chelsea may be. But he would get into City's bench easily. Ahead of Lampard at least.
There is only one family, it is the Liverpool family.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #74 on: October 31, 2014, 02:40:05 pm »
His terms?

It doesn't work like that though if your agent is Struan Marshall. This is Carra 09-10 all over again. Start  giving interviews to Bascombe about the possibility of leaving if you don't get the contract you want. Make it clear that you want to stay but it's the nasty club or the manager who don't want to keep you enough.

Timing is everything can anyone remember what happened last time we were due to play Madrid at the Bernabeu. Perfect time to drop a little hand grenade just before a massive week for the Club. A bad result in mid week and giving Gerrard a new deal can be a little tonic for the fans in much the same way giving Gerrard a new deal a few years ago papered over the cracks of not signing anyone during the transfer window.

Looking forward to the SFX mob in the media demanding that Gerrard is given a new deal.

The worst aspect for me though is the " I knew this would happen when Luis left bollocks" which is both hugely disrespectful to the players we have brought in and incredibly defeatist. I bet Southampton are glad their senior players weren't so defeatist in the summer because they would be in the bottom three now.

"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline eurolines

• Main Stander
« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2014, 02:40:21 pm »
Lampard is a totally diffrent type of player who offers something completely different. And yes at this point he's more mobile than gerrard. They will replace him with something better next year anyway, he's a ffp holdover.

That's partly down to the teams Lampard had has played in- Gerrard has had to carry entire teams at times. More mileage.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2014, 02:42:53 pm »
That's partly down to the teams Lampard had has played in- Gerrard has had to carry entire teams at times. More mileage.

I would love you to name some of these entire teams Gerrard has carried ?
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #77 on: October 31, 2014, 02:44:50 pm »

According to Stevie, last season Brendan set up the team to take advantage of the Suarez and Sturridge partnership, using specifically the diamond (which he allegedly had never used before) in doing so.

Whom, if anyone, is Brendan Rodgers accommodating this season, so far, one wonders.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: October 31, 2014, 02:45:20 pm »
Not meaning any offence, especially to those who will take it on behalf of Gerrard.

But what are his options?  Where can he realistically go?

His best option is Liverpool.  It's probably why we are reading about it this morning.

If he wants to move to a club that is in a better position than Liverpool, he'd obviously have to accept becoming an impact player off the bench and/or starter in cup games/occasional European games.

Despite his age and diminishing ability, it's quite obvious he still has a good amount in the tank, and a good amount in the tank for a player of Gerrard's ilk is still a hell of a lot better than most other players out there.

If Mourinho found Chelsea down 1-0 to United this past weekend in the 60th minute instead of up 1-0, you telling me that Lewis Baker or John f'n Obi Mikel, who were both on the bench this weekend, get in ahead of Gerrard? Nope, not in a million years.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: October 31, 2014, 02:45:32 pm »
They both need home grown players and he's better than both Mikel and Lampard.