Author Topic: VAR! Video Assistant Referee & Shite Referees in General  (Read 1355729 times)

Offline eddymunster

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Re: VAR! Huh! What is it good for? Absolutely nothing... ?
« Reply #5600 on: December 16, 2019, 01:32:48 pm »
No matter how much VAR delays the game, makes a meal of the tightest calls etc, the alternative is decisions like the Sterling offside vs City under Rodgers.

VAR has to stay.
Brexit (n) - "The undefined being negotiated by the unprepared in order to get the unspecified for the uninformed."

Offline Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5601 on: December 16, 2019, 02:34:49 pm »
No matter how much VAR delays the game, makes a meal of the tightest calls etc, the alternative is decisions like the Sterling offside vs City under Rodgers.

VAR has to stay.

The thing I don't get about the monitors...

The reason given for not using them is the time it would take. For me that doesn't make any sense.
Some decisions either take seconds or happen passively whilst play continues. This should remain the same. However if the incident is more complex and demands greater study, the play is halted and everyone waits. This normally lasts at least 30-60 seconds.

When that happens, how long will it take the ref to jog over to the touchline? 10 seconds? 20 seconds? The VAR guys can do their stuff, get all of the angles ready and then when the ref gets to the monitor they show him the best angles and explain anything they need to. Decision is then made by the ref.

Also, why does the monitor look like Holly's mobile get up from Red Dwarf? Why can't we use a tablet? Could then the 4th official run the tablet on to the ref? Of someone else?

Basically I just don't buy the excuse for not having the onfield ref look at a monitor.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5602 on: December 16, 2019, 03:08:19 pm »
Offside should be feet only. Lean wherever you want, just don't stand offisde.

Simple.

And bin off VAR. When the manager darent even celebrate due to the shit that is VAR, it's time to go.

I agree.

Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #5603 on: December 16, 2019, 06:19:49 pm »
If play is stopped for a  VAR review...instead of the match Ref stood in the middle of the pitch with his finger to his ear, he should go to the monitor and review the play with the VAR official.

The time of the stoppage would be the same. Who knows maybe shorter.

This way the match Ref would also be seen to giving the correct decision instead of relying on someone else for the information.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5604 on: December 16, 2019, 07:11:02 pm »
If play is stopped for a  VAR review...instead of the match Ref stood in the middle of the pitch with his finger to his ear, he should go to the monitor and review the play with the VAR official.

The time of the stoppage would be the same. Who knows maybe shorter.

This way the match Ref would also be seen to giving the correct decision instead of relying on someone else for the information.

I really do not get why the Premier League officials think the way they are doing it is quicker. Last week, A Taylor shits out of giving a clear pen in the Manc Derby and stands there waiting for VAR - midweek in the CL, he again shits out of giving a pen, but this time runs over and reviews on the pitchside monitor. In both cases, one or two replays were enough to see they were both pens.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline wenlock

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5605 on: December 16, 2019, 07:42:32 pm »
Offside should be feet only. Lean wherever you want, just don't stand offisde.

Simple.

And bin off VAR. When the manager darent even celebrate due to the shit that is VAR, it's time to go.

What would happen with diving headers?
"I'm surprised they don't charge me rent and rates."
Bob Paisley after his 11th visit to Wembley

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5606 on: December 16, 2019, 08:35:54 pm »
What would happen with diving headers?

Jurgen YNWA

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5607 on: December 17, 2019, 08:36:29 am »
But they're still not 100% sure they're looking at the freeze frame, from the exact moment the ball is played by the would be assist provider. Until they can be sure of that, then these marginal decisions will continue to be highly questionable.
Completely agree. When the frame is frozen is often overlooked but pivotal in determining offside. That plus that fact that the software evidently calculates the position of things like armpits from where the feet touch the ground. Would love to know what the margin of error is. I bet its larger than some of the distances given offside.
According to this: https://www.givemesport.com/1498162-there-are-flaws-in-var-that-mean-not-every-offside-decision-will-be-correct

the margin of error can be as much as 38 centimeters, that is almost half a yard. That is only considering the margin of error when the ball is played too, how exactly they determine where Firmino's shoulder is in relation to the defenders feet (or knee I think it was) I don't know, but you'd assume that makes the margin of error greater overall. With that in mind I think some of the decisions are absolutely silly. It's obviously impossible to say that Sterling was 2.4 centimeters off.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5608 on: December 17, 2019, 09:38:14 am »
According to this: https://www.givemesport.com/1498162-there-are-flaws-in-var-that-mean-not-every-offside-decision-will-be-correct

the margin of error can be as much as 38 centimeters, that is almost half a yard. That is only considering the margin of error when the ball is played too, how exactly they determine where Firmino's shoulder is in relation to the defenders feet (or knee I think it was) I don't know, but you'd assume that makes the margin of error greater overall. With that in mind I think some of the decisions are absolutely silly. It's obviously impossible to say that Sterling was 2.4 centimeters off.

38 centimetres is not in any way an acceptable margin of error.

This pic makes me laugh, fuck Sterlings shoulder, how the hell is Jesus NOT interfering with play?  :o

Jurgen YNWA

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #5609 on: December 17, 2019, 10:27:59 am »
Ignoring Jesus, the defender is approximately square on to the penalty area, but Stirling is at an angle, yet the VAR lines seem to assume that Stirling is a 2D figure when drawing the line (I hope that makes sense). Also, at what point does the shoulder begin? Looking at the thickness of the VAR lines, you could just as easily draw the lines starting at a different place and show Sterling as onside. Given the margin of error mentioned in the linked article, these marginal offside decisions are a complete farce.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5610 on: December 17, 2019, 11:30:27 am »
Ignoring Jesus, the defender is approximately square on to the penalty area, but Stirling is at an angle, yet the VAR lines seem to assume that Stirling is a 2D figure when drawing the line (I hope that makes sense). Also, at what point does the shoulder begin? Looking at the thickness of the VAR lines, you could just as easily draw the lines starting at a different place and show Sterling as onside. Given the margin of error mentioned in the linked article, these marginal offside decisions are a complete farce.

The thick lines are for TV, Hawkeye use very thin lines.

I posted a video where FIFA were testing the system and the accuracy of the vertical lines was fine, but like you say, how can you work out where his shoulder is. What if he is wearing a baggy shirt that gives the illusion his shoulder is wider than it really is?

The law states that ANY part can be called offside, they need to change this, as otherwise VAR is correct in going to these levels even though it is stupid.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Roblaar

• Anny Roader
« Reply #5611 on: December 17, 2019, 01:14:25 pm »
Surely its just too technical a process for the limitations it has on timing and position.

An alternative is just give the VAR team 10secs to review.  If it's obviously wrong overturn the decision, if not don't and stick with the on field linesman's decision.  Sometimes they will still be wrong, but not terribly.  I would've ruled out the Mane one at the weekend based on the quick review.

It should omit the howlers without destroying the celebration as you can normally sense if the attacker is close to offside.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5612 on: December 17, 2019, 05:38:01 pm »
Ref's microphoned... here's how it might sound

https://twitter.com/uponthebluemoon/status/1205802376734691329?s=21

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5613 on: December 17, 2019, 05:43:24 pm »
Ref's microphoned... here's how it might sound

https://twitter.com/uponthebluemoon/status/1205802376734691329?s=21

Anthony Taylor in the tunnel at Anfield "Fucking scouse bastards, i'm giving these fuck all today"

VAR - Erm, Anthony, the mike is on.....................................
Jurgen YNWA

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5614 on: December 21, 2019, 11:21:23 pm »
Checking to see if a clear foul was inside or outside the box.. and deciding that it wasn't a foul.

What the fuck was that all about?!

The right decision was to reverse the penalty decision and the yellow card, and to award a free-kick and give a red card.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #5615 on: December 21, 2019, 11:27:38 pm »

Like a lot of occasions in the game I didn't even see anything I'd count as contact. Had a ref for local leagues in the house , a united fan at that and he saw one of the tackles we got booked for and said he would not have even given it as a foul.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5616 on: December 22, 2019, 01:17:59 am »
Checking to see if a clear foul was inside or outside the box.. and deciding that it wasn't a foul.

The right decision was to reverse the penalty decision and the yellow card, and to award a free-kick and give a red card.

Good example tonight that VAR is just a monitor in front of human beings. Ref loat his head with that moment. To end up with 2 wrong decisions (on field and after video check) is really poor
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5617 on: December 22, 2019, 01:49:11 am »
Good example tonight that VAR is just a monitor in front of human beings. Ref loat his head with that moment. To end up with 2 wrong decisions (on field and after video check) is really poor

The only thing I can think of is that he slowed the clip down so much that it didn’t look like any obvious contact. That’s the trouble with slo-mo replays. Other than that I really don’t know what he was thinking. One of the worst refereeing performances I’ve seen. Worse than Atkinson in the United game.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #5618 on: December 22, 2019, 09:09:11 am »
The performance from the referee was that bad I ended up laughing during the latter stages of the game yesterday.
Regarding the overturned penalty decision..Firstly I was amazed the referee gave the penalty in the first place.
To then view a replay which constantly showed the same angle was shocking too..If he was shown the different angle no doubt it's given.
The cockhead providing the replay on VAR should be fucked right off for restricting other angles too.
How the fuck do people get the nod to officiate at this level..I say people because they showed no qualities of being qualified to do the job presented to them.
C*nts..the lot of them & that includes the clueless fuckwits who gave them the game.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #5619 on: December 22, 2019, 09:38:01 am »

The thing is, even if he believes it's not a foul and the defender has won the ball. Why on God's green earth is he giving a drop ball?

It's a corner to us.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #5620 on: December 22, 2019, 09:52:46 am »
The only thing I can think of is that he slowed the clip down so much that it didn’t look like any obvious contact. That’s the trouble with slo-mo replays.
I actually can’t blame the ref on this one - they tell him he’s got to review that decision, then send him over and make him watch blurred images that don’t show contact but do show whatever happened was outside the box ... what else can he do but overturn it, unless he’s got the balls of steel to insist that that thing he saw three minutes ago, from thirty yards back, was definitely a foul?

The problem is VAR.  It makes things worse.  Though I suppose in this case at least it means we aren’t world champions off a dodgy penalty.

Offline Lofty Ambitions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5621 on: December 22, 2019, 07:44:26 pm »
The one aspect of VAR that I don't get is how the linesmen are instructed to flag close calls for off-sides, yet an off-side is not retrospectively given unless a goal is to be cancelled.

Again, today, in Spurs vs Chelsea. Alli is clearly off-side per VAR standards, he is fouled as he gets the ball, yet as off-side is now ignored, they instead check whether it was a penalty or not.

Bonkers.
The Boy from Brazil!
Redeem us in your stone arms
Float like Papillon
Transfer Haiku by Bud P Austin

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #5622 on: December 22, 2019, 07:59:24 pm »
VAR in England evolved to an offside-judging tool, which I had found very deficient from the off. We need a different technology for offsides. It's not normal to continue play when a player is in an offside position, from which he gets a free kick, a corner, or whatever other advantage. This needs to be judged on the spot, whether the linesman is right or wrong. Furthermore, there is no sense in reviewing a video footage frame-by-frame to try and judge a millimeter offside when the error is most likely several centimeters. Hawk Eye never reveals what the technology error is in any sport, even that in tennis is still being debated, and independent studies indicate far greater error than Hawk Eye claim.

VAR is not the right tool for ruling over offsides. I'd go back to linesman on-field calls.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Lofty Ambitions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5623 on: December 22, 2019, 08:13:59 pm »
I have grown to accept how off-sides are under VAR nowadays. Off-sides are the most objective calls there are, I'd like to have something like one +/1 inch threshold for having the attacking player called level automatically taken into account. So then when it is called an off-side, you'd know there was some leeway left for him having been level. These armpits etc are utter bollocks. Level is level, advantage attacker then.
The Boy from Brazil!
Redeem us in your stone arms
Float like Papillon
Transfer Haiku by Bud P Austin

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5624 on: December 22, 2019, 10:32:16 pm »
There has to be an allowance for error when the technology itself is fallible. If it was 8k footage at 200fps you could maybe understand the mm calls.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5625 on: December 22, 2019, 10:40:32 pm »
I actually can’t blame the ref on this one - they tell him he’s got to review that decision, then send him over and make him watch blurred images that don’t show contact but do show whatever happened was outside the box ... what else can he do but overturn it, unless he’s got the balls of steel to insist that that thing he saw three minutes ago, from thirty yards back, was definitely a foul?

The problem is VAR.  It makes things worse.  Though I suppose in this case at least it means we aren’t world champions off a dodgy penalty.

Can't the two of them have a discussion though? He's got a headset on. Can't he ask for other angles? Can't he ask his mate in the room what he thinks if both of them are being asked to make a decision (unlike cricket where its just 3rd umpire when referred). Whole thing was weird
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Shaun101

• Didn't take up his ticket for the Screen Sports Super Cup
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Where did I leave it?
« Reply #5626 on: December 22, 2019, 10:49:24 pm »

I heard a quote that summed it up saying it’s like blaming the remote control for the shite telly

At the end of the day the technology could be flawless but it administered by cretins

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #5627 on: December 27, 2019, 08:13:50 pm »
Eh...

Get rid. Preferrably four months ago.
Linudden.

Offline rodderzzz

• Plonkah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's Bullshit Miss!
« Reply #5628 on: December 27, 2019, 08:14:39 pm »
Quite happy that one went for city, makes them look a bit fuckin daft now saying its going against them lol

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5629 on: December 27, 2019, 08:18:11 pm »
Identical retake... absolute joke these decisions...ruining the game.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #5630 on: December 27, 2019, 08:20:05 pm »
Quite happy that one went for city, makes them look a bit fuckin daft now saying its going against them lol

Don't you understand? That is exactly why the decisions were given. People were catching onto the conspiracy and so the officials needed to throw them off the scent...

Offline rodderzzz

• Plonkah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's Bullshit Miss!
« Reply #5631 on: December 27, 2019, 08:23:23 pm »
You're glad our title rivals scored a goal? Odd

Mate were winning the league whether they score 100 or 0 over the next 20 games

Offline Eternalsungod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #5632 on: December 27, 2019, 08:26:21 pm »
What is that moronic rule on penalties anyway? Surely any City players running in first should invalidate any encroaching by the Wolves players. The way it works now is only annoying and takes away a lot of the few penalty saves we have. Not to talk about all the waste of fucking time.
“These young players are our future. If we handle them like horses then we get horses.” Jürgen Klopp.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #5633 on: December 27, 2019, 08:30:07 pm »
What is that moronic rule on penalties anyway? Surely any City players running in first should invalidate any encroaching by the Wolves players. The way it works now is only annoying and takes away a lot of the few penalty saves we have. Not to talk about all the waste of fucking time.

If both teams encroach it should automatically cancel itself out. It's such a no-brainer that there's no wonder no-one thought about that before. VAR shouldn't interfere in games, it should only be used if the referee wants proof. As it is, this has turned into a control room dictatorship. No redeeming features whatsoever and yet people are insisting on it ruining league after league.
Linudden.

Offline Eternalsungod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #5634 on: December 27, 2019, 08:38:35 pm »
If both teams encroach it should automatically cancel itself out. It's such a no-brainer that there's no wonder no-one thought about that before.
I mostly agree with this part. In any case you cannot give an advantage to the first team to encroach. That is so stupid, it is unbelievable.

Apart from that, I hate some aspects of VAR, and how it is implemented, but I actually do see some use for it. On the fence between thrashing it all togheter or just scaling down the use of it/improve the us of it.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 08:43:00 pm by Eternalsungod »
“These young players are our future. If we handle them like horses then we get horses.” Jürgen Klopp.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5635 on: December 27, 2019, 08:42:09 pm »
If both teams encroach it should automatically cancel itself out. It's such a no-brainer that there's no wonder no-one thought about that before. VAR shouldn't interfere in games, it should only be used if the referee wants proof. As it is, this has turned into a control room dictatorship. No redeeming features whatsoever and yet people are insisting on it ruining league after league.

Nah, that wouldn’t work as it can be easily exploited. The simplest solution is no rebounds imo.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #5636 on: December 27, 2019, 08:46:04 pm »
Dermot (Gordon Lee) Gallagher, is awoken from his coffin to pass judgement on a clear and obvious life changing tackle.

Booby B, talking shite like a shitetalking shite thing on a shite day whilst eating shiteaki mushrooms
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5637 on: December 27, 2019, 08:52:18 pm »
On the first pen which was saved..

If a City player encroached and got to the ball first, and lets say scored, then an indirect free kick would have been awarded to Wolves.

As it was a Wolves player who reached the ball first and cleared it, because he encroached, the pen is retaken.

On the second pen, which was saved, Sterling can't encroach as he took the pen. But if a different City player would have got to the ball first, see above. All depends on whether there was encroachment.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5638 on: December 27, 2019, 08:55:22 pm »
On the first pen which was saved..

If a City player encroached and got to the ball first, and lets say scored, then an indirect free kick would have been awarded to Wolves.

As it was a Wolves player who reached the ball first and cleared it, because he encroached, the pen is retaken.

On the second pen, which was saved, Sterling can't encroach as he took the pen. But if a different City player would have got to the ball first, see above. All depends on whether there was encroachment.

I hadn’t realised that until halftime. Correct call all round.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #5639 on: December 27, 2019, 09:05:31 pm »
Nothing wrong with VAR. Atkinson on the other hand is another story