Author Topic: Is there anything we could do?  (Read 6209 times)

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
Is there anything we could do?
« on: February 2, 2003, 12:48:54 pm »
to stop the new stadium? If your against it that is.

Offline KOTP

• Arch Cunt + Official RAWK scarf swapper. Possibly the most laughably out-dated signature on the entire site, we hope.
  • Legacy Fan
Re:Is there anything we could do?
« Reply #1 on: February 2, 2003, 09:39:53 pm »
basically NO.

cant be arsed goin into it in details as i have done in a number of threads about the stadium.

but basically prick parry has got what he wanted and wont rest till his memorial is built

Offline ttnbd

• RAWK Chief Financial Officer
  • Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #2 on: February 3, 2003, 03:10:11 pm »
Has any1 got a couple of hundred million so they could buy either the club or the area they plan to build on? that should stop the club building (there atleast :P)
So all say thanks to the Shanks

He never walked alone

Lets sing our song for all the world

From this his Liverpool home

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #3 on: February 3, 2003, 06:14:29 pm »
Lol. Fucking disgrace. Rick Parry My arse.

Offline Stevo

• Not unique in his worship of Erik Meijer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 3, 2003, 08:42:19 pm »
Has any1 got a couple of hundred million so they could buy either the club or the area they plan to build on? that should stop the club building (there atleast :P)

Ive got a fiver?

Seriously though, how about an organised demonstration for a home game. I.E banners flags etc. Mosaic wouldnt be allowed as it would have to go through the club. But surely by using the websites and fanzines and handing out flyers we could organise something for a game later in the season? Would it be that hard? Get the media and TV to show it and kick up a fuss and you never know. Hand out a few A4 paper "anfield 4 ever" banners or get people to make their own (set them up on websites and print out) and the club would at least know our views.

Add to that an online petition and its a step in the right direction. Or is it that no-body is arsed about this? How can we complain if we do fuck all? Its better to try and fail rather than not to try at all.

Offline Paul

• Pensioner Abuser
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 3, 2003, 09:26:36 pm »
A bit of an Anfield-4-ever campaign wouldn't go a miss. Maybe a website with a petition? I'd offer to do the website, but havent got the 1st idea about designing them so it would be shite.

But will help any way I can.

ANFIELD FOR LFC

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #6 on: February 3, 2003, 09:30:54 pm »
Ive got a fiver?

Seriously though, how about an organised demonstration for a home game. I.E banners flags etc. Mosaic wouldnt be allowed as it would have to go through the club. But surely by using the websites and fanzines and handing out flyers we could organise something for a game later in the season? Would it be that hard? Get the media and TV to show it and kick up a fuss and you never know. Hand out a few A4 paper "anfield 4 ever" banners or get people to make their own (set them up on websites and print out) and the club would at least know our views.

Add to that an online petition and its a step in the right direction. Or is it that no-body is arsed about this? How can we complain if we do fuck all? Its better to try and fail rather than not to try at all.

thats what I had in mind.

They cant Ignore us if theres enough of us. Surely?

Offline laddo

• Forum Perv
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: February 3, 2003, 11:47:06 pm »
Ive got a fiver?

yer good post stevo id be willing to help through thisisanfield.com

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #8 on: February 4, 2003, 04:11:06 pm »
Shall we get something organised then?

I could do a simple website, but I'm shit at writing stuff. Could set up a simple page hosted on Geocities? Just to start with like. Perhaps pick a match wherre people can take banners and flags along?

Offline Paul

• Pensioner Abuser
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: February 4, 2003, 04:21:26 pm »
Ive got 30Mb worth of webspace with blueyonder im not using. No adverts or any crap like that either. Will be located here:

http://www.anfield4ever.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
« Last Edit: February 4, 2003, 04:35:00 pm by Paul »

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #10 on: February 4, 2003, 05:48:33 pm »
nice one.

Offline Stevo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 4, 2003, 05:54:50 pm »
Nice one. Even if only 20,000 or so fans get involved at the match - thats 50% of LFCs match going fans. And with an online petition its easy for other people to sign up, then print it out and take it to mr parry. As far as  i know online petitions are pretty easy to set up.

I would say that Thisisanfield would be quite an appropriate site to support all this! Plus you could write and tell them that if we do move you will have to buy new domian names - thiswasanfield.com

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #12 on: February 4, 2003, 06:28:35 pm »
Petitiononline.com seems like a suitable place that would host a petition for free.
Need a petition statement. I'm shit with words. Anyone whos any good with them?

Offline laddo

• Forum Perv
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 4, 2003, 10:16:39 pm »
we need to know which match we are planning the 'protest' first dont we? how about Fulham - April 12th (Last Saturday home game except for final one - we dont wanna do it on the final day, would spoil it).

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #14 on: February 4, 2003, 10:20:30 pm »
we need to know which match we are planning the 'protest' first dont we? how about Fulham - April 12th (Last Saturday home game except for final one - we dont wanna do it on the final day, would spoil it).

That might be the HJC day around the ground laddo.

If i remember rightly, the HJC are hoping to organise charity collections around pubs etc.... not sure if you want to clash with that either.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline Roger

• The Derek Acorah of RAWK & Welsh News Correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: February 4, 2003, 11:15:44 pm »
but I'm shit at writing stuff.

You said it Matt. :P

Offline laddo

• Forum Perv
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: February 5, 2003, 12:39:41 am »
That might be the HJC day around the ground laddo.

If i remember rightly, the HJC are hoping to organise charity collections around pubs etc.... not sure if you want to clash with that either.

yer well spotted, not sure then, charlton is monday night i think (apr 21st??) maybe that then...

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #17 on: February 5, 2003, 01:44:30 am »
At this rate it'll be this saturday.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline Stevo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: February 6, 2003, 12:49:52 pm »
Hmm, last day of season would spoil things and would be inappropiate to hold anything that would clash with the HJC.

A TV game would be best, mind you sky wouldnt show anything so i suppose that would make no difference!

Offline Stevo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: February 6, 2003, 02:10:22 pm »
Leeds game is PPV isnt it?

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #20 on: February 7, 2003, 04:03:56 am »
did you al miss the anfield4ever campaign and website or are you being highly ironic about all this????
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline Stevo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: February 7, 2003, 11:48:00 am »
Dont think anybody missed it, but there isnt anything being done at the moment is there?

Plus as good an argument as the website was, i dont think it would make people notice as much as say, a demonstatrion at a game

Offline Bob Kurac

• Cares.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Modern football is shit
« Reply #22 on: February 7, 2003, 11:50:02 am »
did you al miss the anfield4ever campaign

I miss it terribly  :'(

Offline Steve_M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: February 7, 2003, 02:15:12 pm »
As KOTP said, basically 'No' is the answer.

I appreciate your views and sentiments, but exactly who is going to support you?

Will M and Alan Edge from the Anfield4ever campaign site made the point that they received little real from anyone else. A lot of verbal 'oh yes, we'll support you' and highly indignant opinions, but very little real support when it was needed.

Unless you are going to get about 50,000 signatures, it's a waste of time. I calculated a few rough figures as an example:

Say the new stadium hosts an average 60,000 for Premiership games (which is more than likely). That's an additional 16,000 per game at home. If each of those customers pays a conservative (very conservative) £25 per ticket, that equates to £400,000 per game. Multiple that by 19 games and it works out at £7.6 million. That doesn't include the crowds that could be expected for big European or Cup games. Look at it over 5 seasons and you are talking about plus £40 million. Then factor in the additional 16,000 folks spending £'s on programmes, food, beer, etc and in the clubshop. Even if they only spend on average £8 each (x 16,000 = £128,000 per game = £2.4 m per Premiership season). Add in the 10,000 plus on the ST waiting list who have no chance of a ST if we stay at the current location and how much chance do you reckon we have of influencing the club?

Sorry to be a pessimist, but I think you're being highly unrealistic.

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #24 on: February 7, 2003, 10:47:10 pm »
is it not worth a fucking try?

Offline Stevo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: February 8, 2003, 06:03:48 pm »
is it not worth a fucking try?

No, lets just move to the parry bowl and sit and moan about how crap it is and how we should never have moved.

And people will moan and slag it off, despite not doing anything to try to stop it.

Maybe a demo or whatever would fail but id feel better for trying. Thought people cared about this issue but obviously nobody gives one.

Offline Steve_M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: February 8, 2003, 09:12:36 pm »
I'm not trying to piss you guys off, just trying to point out the reality of the situation.

The reason for the rough figures I came up with, is to show that in gate money alone, the club can expect at least £7 m extra per season.

What you really have to show Parry is that you have an alternative which allows us to remain at Anfield and still pull in an extra £7 m per season. They've already said that the present ground could only be expanded up to 53,000 maximum and would cost the same as moving to a totally new stadium which would have room for future development if needed.

You are also working on the assumption that every LFC fan wants to stay at Anfield. I know from chatting to some older fans that quite a few are not that bothered about moving. The oldest part of the ground is the Main Stand which I think was built in 1973, everything else has been built since. For many , when the Kop was seated in 1994 and all seater grounds were forced on us, it just hasn't been the same. Part of the essential fabric of Anfield disappeared. So moving to somewhere newer with better seating, etc isn't that big a deal with them.

Offline Stevo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: February 9, 2003, 01:29:42 pm »
True Steve and your maths is pretty accuarte i'd say. Obviously in terms of revenue in the long run moving to a bigger ground is going to be extremely benficial.

Its just a shame that history and tradition doesnt come into it when the board think of a move. I dont know how many people are against a move, maybe the figure isnt that high, a lot of people ive spoke to would rather stay put but arent too bothered. Others think its a good idea as the chances of getting a ticket are going to be increased, and others are dead set against it.

Offline Paul

• Pensioner Abuser
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: February 9, 2003, 03:02:23 pm »
did you al miss the anfield4ever campaign and website or are you being highly ironic about all this????

i missed the website. its in the web archive but none of the opinions are stored - only the home page
« Last Edit: February 9, 2003, 03:06:16 pm by Paul »

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #29 on: February 9, 2003, 06:42:56 pm »
the thing is, It's choosing Money over tradition and heritage.

You could say that the ground has been mostly re-developed in the last 10 years BUT For someone like me who doesnt remember the glory of the 70's and 80's, Anfield is all thats left for me to relate to the glory because I dont have the memorys of it. If that makes any sense.

Offline Farman

• Heading off for a fruit based orgy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2003, 06:41:38 pm »
Money over tradition and heritage? Blimey that's a new one on me.

But seriously, for what it's worth, I think that, although moving will be sad, its something we've got to do. The financial aspect is not cold-blooded money making, but survival at the top of the game. You can cling on to your 7 year-old Kop if you like, I'd see us look to the future with the prospect of world-class signings (who want world-class wages). Life goes on  - redeveloping the ground is just not practical.

Aside from the money, there's the fact that 15,000 more reds will actually be able to watch thier heroes play, which is a good reason in itself.

I'll stop myself from really getting involved now. But it just seems to me to be the best thing to do is to realise that, whatever happens, we WILL move, so its better to re-direct energies towards what you can do something about, ie the new stadium. The club still has time to act if they hear a strong-enough voice on issues like the single-tier home end, filled-in corners, stand naming and the Hillsborough memorial etc.
The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me

Offline Stevo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2003, 07:03:27 pm »
filled-in corners

Actually, i take your point, but id be against that. I do actually think the plans for the new ground arent too bad and id rather we didnt have filled in corners as long as the ground was still enclosed.

Look at all the new grounds, and most premiership grounds, they all have stands that curve around the pitch. Id rather our ground be different and a bit unique and have four separate stands rather than 'one'. The ground could still be enclosed as well

Offline Aidan_B

• Trust me, I am a doctor. HJC Champions - Nov 2003
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gone, perhaps forgotten
    • EnviroBuild
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2003, 07:48:30 pm »
I'm pretty much with Farman on this.  I think we will move and that we need to move.  Everyone here whinges about the atmosphere at the current Anfield and they are right to, cos it is embarresing.  Get the stands decent names.  Make sure that Hillsborough is highest of all priorites being the most important event in the clubs history.

Get a really really noisy section together by doing some research on singing.  They must now realise that atmosphere can change a game and that that can change finances.  Maybe convince em that way.  If you let us sing, you'll earn more in prize money.

We have a chance to really influence some of these aspects, but not if we try and oppose the new stadium totally when they are canvassing opinions.  They'll look past us and ignore our views.

Just my opinion like, but I stand by it.

Offline Efes For Ever

• Anny Roader
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2003, 12:25:31 pm »
I agree - I know its basically done now but i think a lot of people are going to walk away from that last game at Anfield feeling like they've been twatted in the stomach. As a season ticket holder I dont remember the club contacting me in any way about this. They do however manage to send me regular catalogues etc. crying shame.

Offline anfield_reds

• Legacy Fan
  • We're only in it for the money
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2003, 01:31:47 pm »
Only 34.000 went to the game yesterday. I dont see the point of building a bigger stadium if we only fill Anfield for the big premiership games. I'm not even sure we'll fill the new stadium for all league games. I doubt it.

Anfield 4 ever!

Offline ttnbd

• Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2003, 05:41:45 pm »
we always (bar the very odd game) sell out league matches.

He never walked alone

Offline Stevo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: March 5, 2003, 09:39:10 pm »
we always (bar the very odd game) sell out league matches.

42,000 home tickets though. would we shift an extra 10,000 - 15,000 per home lge game?

Offline ttnbd

• Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #37 on: March 5, 2003, 09:41:53 pm »
don't see why not (especially given the number of people who complain about not being able to get tickets)

He never walked alone