Author Topic: Total knee replacement op  (Read 1277 times)

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
Total knee replacement op
« on: July 23, 2023, 03:30:32 pm »
I had a total knee replacement operation 8 weeks ago, and just wondering if anybody else on here has undergone this op and how their recovery went.

I'm 64, in really good health, don't drink or smoke and I excerise regularly, so I was told all that would be in my favour regarding my recovery.

But my knee is still hugely swollen, and the last few days the pain has got much worse. I've done all the gruelling excerises physio have told me to do at home, so I've been doing as I was told in that department.

I've heard a few storiee, not everybody gets what they expect from this op, ie they remain in some kind of pain, unable to fully bend or straighten their new knee and can't even kneel!

I know 8 weeks isn't that long after an op of this kind, but I'm an impatient person at the best of times and just want to get mobile as quick as possible, I'm still using a crutch at the moment and unable to drive.

Most of all, I miss playing with my Grandaughter in play centres, not the same if I can't join in!

Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Total knee replacement op
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2023, 03:47:26 pm »
Alright mate, hope it's not too painful.
My dad has had both his done and what surprised me was how long they took before he felt happy with them.
He was driving pretty quickly afterwards, but used a stick for a year or so after each.
Like you, he he was very diligent with his physio - he lived with me at the time and did everything, but didn't over do things, either.
Good luck I'm sure there will be some more feedback, pity Welshred or Cowtown aren't on here anymore that was their bread and butter if I remember correctly

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2023, 04:02:30 pm »
Alright mate, hope it's not too painful.
My dad has had both his done and what surprised me was how long they took before he felt happy with them.
He was driving pretty quickly afterwards, but used a stick for a year or so after each.
Like you, he he was very diligent with his physio - he lived with me at the time and did everything, but didn't over do things, either.
Good luck I'm sure there will be some more feedback, pity Welshred or Cowtown aren't on here anymore that was their bread and butter if I remember correctly

Welshred was definitely a physiotherapist. I think part of why he jacked was, when he'd talk about players injuries, he was doing it from a position of knowledge and utter fuckwits would question and argue with him and say he was wrong :butt

I remember well the whole "he walked off so must be OK" stuff and he tried and tried to explain that you can walk with a torn ACL, but the same shit was repeated
« Last Edit: July 23, 2023, 04:06:31 pm by rob1966 »
Jurgen YNWA

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2023, 04:56:32 pm »
My knee is messed up but currently going physiotherapy. It's actually making my hip hurt ALOT especially at night but I don't want to get to any type of surgery.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2023, 05:27:30 pm »
Welshred was definitely a physiotherapist. I think part of why he jacked was, when he'd talk about players injuries, he was doing it from a position of knowledge and utter fuckwits would question and argue with him and say he was wrong :butt

I remember well the whole "he walked off so must be OK" stuff and he tried and tried to explain that you can walk with a torn ACL, but the same shit was repeated

Marco Echeverry played without one.
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2023, 06:57:24 pm »
Flippin hec Mike speedy recovery mate. I'd expect you need to give it time but don't you have a follow up appointment anytime soon to discuss it with your consultant?

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2023, 07:05:57 pm »
My grandad has had both knees done. The first one was done about a decade ago. Took him about 2 months after the op to be back in solid nick again. He had the other knee done last year, due to a few complications and covid related issues post op to be back to some what normal was around 4 months.

But you have to keep doing rehab through the pain unfortunately, that might be tough.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2023, 11:34:58 pm »
Not a full knee replacement but I’d reconstructive surgery on both knees at different periods.  Same injuries in both from playing footie. Ruptured ACL and torn meniscus. Think I also chipped a bone in one.   Used crutches for 2/3 weeks and then Physio began.  Light jogging after a few months.  Able to run after 6-9 months.  But close on a year before playing footie again.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2023, 12:03:17 am »
Never underestimate the medicinal properties of alcohol and tobacco.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2023, 08:39:31 am »

Just sayin'

Offline Saltashscouse

• Legacy Fan
  • Born and bred to support the Reds
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2023, 08:53:03 am »
I remember seeing a consultant knee surgeon about ten years ago when i was 57 .He suggested a knee replacement for the issues i was having but point blank refused to do it until i had turned 60 .

I remember him asking me to rate the pain on a 1 to 10 basis , 10 being most severe .

I told him it varied as some days it would be a 2 or 3 but if I'd been kneeling down ( I am a carpenter so always on my hands and knees )it was an 11

He said " Kneeling Down , Kneeling Down with those knees ! You shouldn't be Kneeling down and you certainly will not be kneeling down once you've had a knee replacement .

I thought fuck me that's my job scuppered if I can't kneel down

Someone suggested taking cod liver oil tablets and glucosamine tablets and to be honest I was skeptical at first but here I am 10 years later still taking the cod liver oil and glucosamine tablets  with the

same knees i was born with , still working , getting the odd twinge now and again  but nothing like the pain i was suffering 10 years ago

I recommend to anyone suffering with knee pain to try the Cod liver oil and glucosamine tablets , certainly worked for me
Jan Molby once bought me a pint 🍺

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2023, 07:45:22 pm »
Cheers for the replies, surgery is inevitable if you continue to have severe pain in your knee into later life.

I had 2 ops by the age of 14, haha which fucked up my chances of playing for Liverpool (I was iivited by Geoff Twentyman for a school boy trial but one close up look at my patched up knee saw an abrupt chance of stardom!)

But, I still played footy in Sat/Sun Liverpool Amateur League till I was 50 plus and also for our very own Internet LFC team, so I got to wear the famous red jersey (of sorts!) eventually!

So, my knee led a good life but once arthritis kicked in it was time to get a new one, but I did wait until the pain was intolerable.

I tripped over in my flat the other night, haha chasing a mouse, my knee took the brunt of my fall and bent far more than it should at this stage, not without supervision anyway, so in real pain at the moment after that mishap.

I see my surgeon in 2 weeks and have 2 physio sessions before that, so hopefuly things will look better in a couple of weeks.

Also, the Hospital have suggested I join a Lifestyles Gym on a 12 week supervised course in the gym and pool to help my recovery along. I haven't done that yet, never been much of a gym or pool person, but will take their advice and join the gym near me on Gt Homer Street this week.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 08:32:06 pm by mikeb58 »
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Saltashscouse

• Legacy Fan
  • Born and bred to support the Reds
« Reply #12 on: August 1, 2023, 02:56:57 pm »
Also, the Hospital have suggested I join a Lifestyles Gym on a 12 week supervised course in the gym and pool to help my recovery along. I haven't done that yet, never been much of a gym or pool person, but will take their advice and join the gym near me on Gt Homer Street this week.
I used to be a runner back in the day but my knees took the knock with footy injuries and constantly on my hands and knees as a chippy but over the last 4 years i joined a gym and do the spinning class which is basically bike riding without getting out on your bike.
It is low impact so does not put stress on your knees , I have found it really worthwhile , exercises my knees and keeps me fit .
Hope all goes well
« Last Edit: August 1, 2023, 03:20:50 pm by Saltashscouse »
Jan Molby once bought me a pint 🍺