Author Topic: Triple Cooked Chips Tips and tricks  (Read 2713 times)

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
Triple Cooked Chips Tips and tricks
« on: June 5, 2023, 03:48:35 am »
I’ve only heard about these a few minutes ago. But I intend to make them as part of dinner today. Any tips?

As I understand them:

Chips in a medium heat oil to soften the inside

Freezer to cook them

Into hot oil to crisp them

What’s the timing of the first and second steps?
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Triple Cooked Chips Tips and tricks
« Reply #1 on: June 5, 2023, 08:43:05 am »
Isn't triple cooked chips a Heston thing? prob be loads of recipes, I've seen him make them and thought he boiled - fridge - first fry low temp - back in fridge? - second fry.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: June 5, 2023, 10:43:16 am »
Freezer to cook them

You might be waiting a bit.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: June 5, 2023, 10:51:46 am »

You might be waiting a bit.

I thought that too ;D

Had the best chips I've had in years last week in Crete, proper thick chips. Bet they weren't cooked in any fancy way neither.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #4 on: June 5, 2023, 01:23:42 pm »
Method depends on how you like your chips.

I bring the fat to a boil, turn down the heat, drop in the chips (carefully) and turn off the gas until the bubbling stops.  2 minutes and fire up again till they reach your fave colour.  Stir a bit.
Kill the humourless

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: June 5, 2023, 01:27:25 pm »
Yeha I've never made them but always though it was boil first, then frying at 2 differente temps.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #6 on: June 5, 2023, 01:32:20 pm »
I’ve only heard about these a few minutes ago. But I intend to make them as part of dinner today. Any tips?

As I understand them:

Chips in a medium heat oil to soften the inside

Freezer to cook them

Into hot oil to crisp them

What’s the timing of the first and second steps?

what i do is

get fresh potatoes

you can either peel them completely or leave sections with the skin still on - any skin left on will be nice and crispy if cooked right

chop 'em chip sized - however big or small or fat or thin you like 'em

pop them into a pan with cold water and wash and drain

then pop then in the same pan with fresh water and add salt (to suit your own taste as you will moist probably be adding salt when serving too)

bring pan to the boil then simmer until you can poke a fork about a third of the way into the chips without breaking them

drain and put on a rack then into the fridge (not freezer) and let them chill

get your oil ready in a pan/fryer and to the temperature you need - again, there's plenty of advice on internet but you'll find a temperature that suits the way you like 'em

pop chips into pan/fryer and fry until golden brown

put back on rack and into the fridge and let them cool

pop chips into pan/fryer and fry to crisp - don't let them get too dark

serve, season and eat

to be honest, you most probably don't need to fry them again after the first time and serve them then - but some people prefer a third dunking

so try them after the first fry and see what you think

timings depend on temperatures and your own oven hob kitchen etc - trial and error but use your own judgement

so for me:

triple cook = boil + chill + fry + cool + fry

double cook = boil + chill + fry

disclaimer: if you burn your house to the ground whilst following these instructions then  ::)
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: June 5, 2023, 01:34:27 pm »
what i do is

get fresh potatoes

you can either peel them completely or leave sections with the skin still on - any skin left on will be nice and crispy if cooked right

chop 'em chip sized - however big or small or fat or thin you like 'em

pop them into a pan with cold water and wash and drain

then pop then in the same pan with fresh water and add salt (to suit your own taste as you will moist probably be adding salt when serving too)

bring pan to the boil then simmer until you can poke a fork about a third of the way into the chips without breaking them

drain and put on a rack then into the fridge (not freezer) and let them chill

get your oil ready in a pan/fryer and to the temperature you need - again, there's plenty of advice on internet but you'll find a temperature that suits the way you like 'em

pop chips into pan/fryer and fry until golden brown

put back on rack and into the fridge and let them cool

pop chips into pan/fryer and fry to crisp - don't let them get too dark

serve, season and eat

to be honest, you most probably don't need to fry them again after the first time and serve them then - but some people prefer a third dunking

so try them after the first fry and see what you think

timings depend on temperatures and your own oven hob kitchen etc - trial and error but use your own judgement

so for me:

triple cook = boil + chill + fry + cool + fry

double cook = boil + chill + fry

disclaimer: if you burn your house to the ground whilst following these instructions then  ::)

A lot of pissing about for bloody chips. ;D
Jurgen YNWA

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: June 5, 2023, 01:38:12 pm »
A lot of pissing about for bloody chips. ;D

you haven't heard how i cook the fish yet...
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: June 5, 2023, 02:55:23 pm »
you haven't heard how i cook the fish yet...

;D

What are they, quadruple cooked after being dipped in about 15 different batters?
Jurgen YNWA

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: June 5, 2023, 05:14:35 pm »
;D

What are they, quadruple cooked after being dipped in about 15 different batters?

...i like the sound of that

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #11 on: June 5, 2023, 06:59:27 pm »
Thanks liverbloke.

The less said about the rest of you, the better!
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #12 on: June 5, 2023, 11:01:04 pm »
Simple way i do them...  Twice fried.

Good spuds, king edwards or roasting spuds (not flowery mash ones) cut to finger size thick...
leave in pan of cold water for 20 mins to leech out excess starch.. pat them dry.
fryer at 150.. cook for 4... 5 mins (still looking pale).. put onto a plate and put in fridge to cool, or leave there till T-time.
fryer on full heat 170/180 .. fry for 5 mins.. done .  :wave
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: June 6, 2023, 09:57:39 am »
Whatever happened to peel your spuds, chop them then lash them in the fat to fry? Chips are supposed to be quick, not take all day to cook. Much rather cook chili or a beef stifado if its taking all day
Jurgen YNWA

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: June 6, 2023, 01:11:33 pm »
Whatever happened to peel your spuds, chop them then lash them in the fat to fry? Chips are supposed to be quick, not take all day to cook. Much rather cook chili or a beef stifado if its taking all day

sounds like you've got a chip on your shoulder  :wave

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: June 6, 2023, 01:15:29 pm »

Nothing wrong with doing them either way depending on your tastes, available time, and how much you actually enjoy cooking.

A lot of things start out supposed to be one way but get adapted. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #16 on: June 6, 2023, 01:17:01 pm »

But not a pan of scouse...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: June 6, 2023, 02:49:14 pm »
Nothing wrong with doing them either way depending on your tastes, available time, and how much you actually enjoy cooking.

A lot of things start out supposed to be one way but get adapted. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Its chips ffs, they're supposed to be quick, not complicated ;D
Jurgen YNWA

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: June 6, 2023, 03:20:24 pm »
Its chips ffs, they're supposed to be quick, not complicated ;D

I'm not really one for tradition or doing things the way they are "supposed" to be done.  :D

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: June 6, 2023, 03:32:45 pm »
I'm not really one for tradition or doing things the way they are "supposed" to be done.  :D

Does it take you a fortnight to make a sunday roast then? ;D
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: June 6, 2023, 03:45:14 pm »

The thing is, if you made them and they're really good, then any time you want chips you've got a 2 hour wait ;D Consequences.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: June 6, 2023, 04:11:33 pm »
The thing is, if you made them and they're really good, then any time you want chips you've got a 2 hour wait ;D Consequences.

Exactly
Jurgen YNWA

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: June 6, 2023, 04:20:48 pm »

So the lesson to learn from that is, don't ever do anything that takes a while in case you enjoy it?  ;D

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: June 6, 2023, 05:40:49 pm »
So the lesson to learn from that is, don't ever do anything that takes a while in case you enjoy it?  ;D

When it's chips, yes ;D

The more i think about the recipe here, isn't it like, the state of good oven chips bar the last step? Be fucking arsed!

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: June 6, 2023, 05:44:00 pm »
When it's chips, yes ;D

The more i think about the recipe here, isn't it like, the state of good oven chips bar the last step? Be fucking arsed!

I bet chefs have sussed that out and just buy part cooked frozen chips then charge a tenner for a bowl of them ;D

I've just seen the Fosters advert on the telly where a fellas brother in law only drinks fancy pants beer - they Aussies say pour the Fosters into a jam jar and give it an obscure name, sounds just like triple cooked chips ;D
« Last Edit: June 6, 2023, 05:47:06 pm by rob1966 »
Jurgen YNWA

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #25 on: June 6, 2023, 05:48:48 pm »
Triple cooked chips used to be a big thing at the London Carriageworks.

Just a better quality chip - now superseded by truffle or Parmesan coated chips.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #26 on: June 6, 2023, 11:55:36 pm »
Used to work in a Chippy

1. Peel and Chop chips.
2. Leave to soak (Sometimes overnight)
3. Half Fry until you can pinch then take out of fryer and put in warm empty compartment/ oven till customers want them.
4. Give second fry to brown etc/ complete process and serve

TA DAAAAAAA!

5. Wrap in newspaper and serve to Woolybacks at Seaside resort (or cover in Pea wet if in Wigan)
« Last Edit: June 6, 2023, 11:57:38 pm by Capon Debaser »

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: June 7, 2023, 07:29:38 am »
Used to work in a Chippy

1. Peel and Chop chips.
3. Half Fry until you can pinch then take out of fryer and put in warm empty compartment/ oven till customers want them.

TA DAAAAAAA!

5. Wrap in newspaper and serve to Woolybacks at Seaside resort (or cover in Pea wet if in Wigan)

might give that a go  :wave

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: June 8, 2023, 11:43:28 am »
Used to work in a Chippy

1. Peel and Chop chips.

TA DAAAAAAA!

Sounds like you just pre-cook them a bit, so its quick to make the right amount when someone wants them. Not because they taste better that way.  In which case, its pointless when you just make them for yourself.

Also, still haven't seen any triple-cook recipes here. It all seems to be double-cook, with a break in between.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #29 on: June 8, 2023, 12:20:02 pm »
Triple cooked chips, as far as i'm aware

Boil first til cooked but not falling apart.  Leave them to dry.  Fry in lower temp oil.  Take out the chips.  Crank up the heat and fry again.  This should produce crispy chips with a fluffy middle.

The spuds you use are also important.  I would use Pipers or Kind Edwards.

My Mum just used to cook in lower temp oil first and then fry again in higher temp oil.  They were just fine, but probably not as crispy.  Oh and she always used to soak the cut chips in cold water first to remove starch.
« Last Edit: June 8, 2023, 12:22:36 pm by Millie »
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: June 8, 2023, 01:31:01 pm »

Sounds like you just pre-cook them a bit, so its quick to make the right amount when someone wants them. Not because they taste better that way.  In which case, its pointless when you just make them for yourself.

Also, still haven't seen any triple-cook recipes here. It all seems to be double-cook, with a break in between.

When you mentioned oven chips the other day, I did think of a chippy and how they part cook chips for speed.

I do remember as a kid though going in the chippy when it was packed, them pouring a load of spuds into the chopper, collecting them in a bucket and then lobbing them in the fryer and once fully cooked serving them.
Jurgen YNWA

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #31 on: June 8, 2023, 01:31:08 pm »

No, they do taste better. They are cooked(I know I said half fry first but they’re cooked till they’re soft inside and golden)  and the soaking process  for whatever reason makes them taste better)  Worked in restaurants and cafes an all and stuck with this method I was taught. That’s why chippie chips taste better than ones at home imo. I do this at home when I have chips. Soak overnight and complete process when ready to eat

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #32 on: June 8, 2023, 01:34:34 pm »
When you mentioned oven chips the other day, I did think of a chippy and how they part cook chips for speed.

I do remember as a kid though going in the chippy when it was packed, them pouring a load of spuds into the chopper, collecting them in a bucket and then lobbing them in the fryer and once fully cooked serving them.
Thats basically it yeah. Our chippy and other places I Worked let the chips soak though. Nothing to do with em going brown/ blackl8ke  spuds do out of water. My first boss said it makes em taste better and makes for a better chip and I always agreed with him

Oh, and when I’m at home I part boil em.
« Last Edit: June 8, 2023, 01:36:20 pm by Capon Debaser »

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: June 8, 2023, 01:49:04 pm »
Thats basically it yeah. Our chippy and other places I Worked let the chips soak though. Nothing to do with em going brown/ blackl8ke  spuds do out of water. My first boss said it makes em taste better and makes for a better chip and I always agreed with him

Oh, and when I’m at home I part boil em.

I never make proper chips anymore, but if we have a roast I always part boil Maris Pipers first, get brill roasties that way.

Which Chippy did you work in?
Jurgen YNWA

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #34 on: June 9, 2023, 04:47:49 am »
I never make proper chips anymore, but if we have a roast I always part boil Maris Pipers first, get brill roasties that way.

Which Chippy did you work in?

And they did also sell #SAUSAGES
We are Liverpool!

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: June 9, 2023, 08:45:14 am »
And they did also sell #SAUSAGES

Can you imagine getting served by that mad bastard? ;D
Jurgen YNWA

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #36 on: June 9, 2023, 11:08:00 am »
Can you imagine getting served by that mad bastard? ;D
;D

Was boss ya know. Wed have everyone piling out the kingsway, New Yorks  etc and was mainly a good laugh. Me and my mate would be playing our mix tapes full blast and would get the same crowd in every week pissed as farts

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #37 on: June 9, 2023, 11:31:30 am »

More like if it’s something you enjoy, get it over and done with as quickly as possible. It’s what Rob lives by anyway.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: June 9, 2023, 01:00:16 pm »
;D

Was boss ya know. Wed have everyone piling out the kingsway, New Yorks  etc and was mainly a good laugh. Me and my mate would be playing our mix tapes full blast and would get the same crowd in every week pissed as farts

Other than the year I worked in the Royal Clifton, I was never really up that end, couldn't stand the Kingsway crowd. We'd fall out of the Floral/Manhattans or Raffles (Satans Slaves club) and we'd go the Kebab place on London Street and get stuff from there and the chippy next door, sometimes we'd go the Shwarma Bar for a kebab too if they were doing the rock stuff in the Kingsway. At some point I'll have been in the Koronet and our kid probably twatted someone in there at some point ;D
Jurgen YNWA

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: June 9, 2023, 01:00:45 pm »
More like if it’s something you enjoy, get it over and done with as quickly as possible. It’s what Rob lives by anyway.

Best 10 seconds of her life
Jurgen YNWA