Author Topic: Council backs boycott of The Sun newspaper  (Read 1309 times)

Online gemofabird

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Council backs boycott of The Sun newspaper
« on: August 3, 2021, 09:18:20 pm »
Our local Council has passed a motion asking local newsagents to stop selling The S*n.

Derry City and Strabane District Council has passed a motion asking local newsagents to stop selling The Sun.

The motion was put forward to show "solidarity" with the families of the Hillsborough football stadium disaster.

It also called on the council to support the campaign group Total Eclipse of the S*n, which wants all shops to boycott the newspaper.

A spokesperson for The Sun described the move as "extreme censorship".

"We are astonished that in Derry - a city that has prided itself on its association with civil liberties and free speech - some elected politicians think it's appropriate to push such extreme censorship on its citizens and retailers," it said.

'Lies after lies'
The vote was proposed by independent councillor Paul Gallagher and supported by 27 SDLP, Sinn Féin and independent members.

One unionist representative voted against, whilst seven more unionists abstained.

"This newspaper has produced lies, after lies, after lies," said Mr Gallagher.

"In the aftermath of the Hillsborough inquiry, we wanted to show solidarity with the families, just as they showed solidarity with the families of Bloody Sunday.

"People are still free to make a choice, we are requesting not telling."

Liverpool councillors unanimously backed a similar motion to stop selling The Sun earlier this week.

The newspaper has been widely boycotted in the city because of its accusations following the Hillsborough disaster.

All 96 fans who died as a result of a crush at Hillsborough were unlawfully killed, inquests concluded in April.

Mr Gallagher agreed with those sentiments but also cited local examples of "terrible hurt" he said The Sun caused.

In 2006, The Irish Sun's front page said: "Husband mows down vigil gran".

The article referred to Nellie Doherty, 78, who died when a vehicle shunted her husband's car which then hit her as she prayed by the road for a friend killed in another accident.

The newspaper later printed an apology, but Nellie Doherty's sister, Margaret McDaid, said at the time that it was not enough.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-37516436.amp

The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Council backs boycott of The Sun newspaper
« Reply #1 on: August 3, 2021, 09:22:53 pm »
:thumbup
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 3, 2021, 09:39:22 pm »
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Offline BobOnATank

• Kopite
« Reply #3 on: August 3, 2021, 10:55:04 pm »
Damn right Derry  8)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4 on: August 3, 2021, 11:20:35 pm »
Shame the fucking Labour party can't do the same. Makes me sick.

https://twitter.com/IanByrneMP/status/1422471063791939609

https://spiritofshankly.com/speaking-to-the-sun/

People have been talking about this in another thread.

I personally can't stand the S*n and obviously would never buy it.

However, it is the most read publication in the UK and if Labour wants to get elected then it needs to get its message out - even to S*n readers.

Tricky one, but the Labour Party aren't Liverpool based and as we've seen with the likes of Southern politicians like Corbyn - they read it.

So to get the message out or not? Principals against just being a protest party?
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #5 on: August 4, 2021, 06:58:24 am »
Good on the people of Derry. The sooner this gutter rag gets fucked off by all and sundry the better.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: August 4, 2021, 07:03:28 am »
Good on the people of Derry. The sooner this gutter rag gets fucked off by all and sundry the better.

Better late than never I suppose.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 4, 2021, 11:41:28 am »
Good. Boycotting The S*n should go way beyond just Liverpool fans or Scousers. That paper has done harm to pretty much all decent parts of society.
YNWA.

Online Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #8 on: August 4, 2021, 05:37:26 pm »
Good. Boycotting The S*n should go way beyond just Liverpool fans or Scousers. That paper has done harm to pretty much all decent parts of society.

It really has. I’ve just finished the audiobook of ‘Sunburn’ by James Felton(blurb below).  Although I was expecting a shitshow it was still an eye opener of the depths that they’ve sunk to over the decades since murdoch took over

You should buy this book if: a) you dislike the Sun, but have never actually read it to know why and/or b) you're still not sure how we got into this mess.

Using his famed on-the-nose commentary, Twitter legend James Felton has dissected 99 of the most outlandish stories the Sun (for a long time the biggest-selling British newspaper) has run since it became a tabloid in 1969, hoping to answer once and for all whether the press has reflected - or manipulated - the British people over the last 50 years.

Believer

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #9 on: August 4, 2021, 05:46:11 pm »
It really has. I’ve just finished the audiobook of ‘Sunburn’ by James Felton(blurb below).  Although I was expecting a shitshow it was still an eye opener of the depths that they’ve sunk to over the decades since murdoch took over

Proper eyeopener that. Have only listened to it once, that was enough frankly.
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: August 4, 2021, 05:56:32 pm »

"We are astonished that in Derry - a city that has prided itself on its association with civil liberties and free speech - some elected politicians think it's appropriate to push such extreme censorship on its citizens and retailers," it said.

:lmao

What the fuck do them scumbags know about the city of Derry and the people there? Cheek of the bastards.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #11 on: August 4, 2021, 06:44:11 pm »

It was shite well before Hillsborough.