Author Topic: The Witcher  (Read 19162 times)

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Witcher
« Reply #80 on: January 1, 2020, 03:39:34 pm »
I’d say this has been one of the most refreshing and entertaining shows of 2019. Mostly because it is so unapologetically what it is - campy fantasy. Some nice characters, great monsters and epic fight scenes - what more can you want.

Very much looking forward to more seasons, whenever they come.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: January 1, 2020, 04:27:48 pm »
'toss a coin for your witcher' stuck in anyone elses head too?

also got started on the witcher 3 yesterday, looking forward to getting stuck in
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: January 2, 2020, 06:44:02 am »
'toss a coin for your witcher' stuck in anyone elses head too?

also got started on the witcher 3 yesterday, looking forward to getting stuck in

Greatest game ever made in my opinion.  What platform are you playing on?

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: January 2, 2020, 09:54:39 am »

im so jealous
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
« Reply #84 on: January 2, 2020, 11:34:59 am »
Agree agree agree

Finished it on the Xbox ages ago, started again on PC the other day after the show.  I thought I'd have forgotten some things but it feels like yesterday already - almost wish I could wipe my mind and start the game fresh, what an experience it is.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: January 2, 2020, 05:34:17 pm »
I’d say this has been one of the most refreshing and entertaining shows of 2019. Mostly because it is so unapologetically what it is - campy fantasy. Some nice characters, great monsters and epic fight scenes - what more can you want.

Very much looking forward to more seasons, whenever they come.
Yeah, I'd agree with that. I mean, it's flawed, and it's a bit camp and cheesy at times, and Cavill hams it up as Geralt, but that's the point. It's aware of its target audience and it's satisfying those instead of trying to be something else. Not enough films or shows do that, and those that do don't do so well and end up cancelled. The Expanse and Ash Vs Evil Dead are two niche productions that are similar, both ending up on the chopping block.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #86 on: January 2, 2020, 06:36:53 pm »

All 3 are amazing but Wild Hunt took it to another level.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: January 2, 2020, 06:39:57 pm »
Yeah, I'd agree with that. I mean, it's flawed, and it's a bit camp and cheesy at times, and Cavill hams it up as Geralt, but that's the point. It's aware of its target audience and it's satisfying those instead of trying to be something else. Not enough films or shows do that, and those that do don't do so well and end up cancelled. The Expanse and Ash Vs Evil Dead are two niche productions that are similar, both ending up on the chopping block.

The Expanse only died on syfy because they couldn't monetise it themselves,Ash v Evil dead was amazing and it's a crime that they canned it just as a new part of the story was about to be told.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #88 on: January 2, 2020, 07:38:05 pm »
Yeah, I'd agree with that. I mean, it's flawed, and it's a bit camp and cheesy at times, and Cavill hams it up as Geralt, but that's the point. It's aware of its target audience and it's satisfying those instead of trying to be something else.

From the Atlantic, arguing well toward precisely that point...

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2020/01/the-witcher-is-absurd-thats-why-its-brilliant/604297/
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: January 2, 2020, 07:51:31 pm »
I'm only up til episode 7, very very impressed with Cavill as Geralt, I played Witcher 3 for about 300 hours and I could pick up the storyline no problem as I was familiar with the main characters, however;

Spoiler
I can see peoples issue with the timeline and how confusing it is, it isn't signposted at all and jumps between timelines so frequently, it can be difficult to follow, especially for newcomers to the universe.
[close]

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: January 2, 2020, 07:56:56 pm »
PS4. Not the ideal way I know
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #91 on: January 2, 2020, 11:25:23 pm »
I haven't played the games despite owning them all on Steam for a year. I tried the first one but after an hour of wandering around a castle being attacked by random mooks in some top-down point and click slasher I didn't see what all the fuss was about - I played enough Gauntlet in the 80s to bother.

Is it worth persevering with this, or just jumping ahead in the series? Having watched the show the world itself has now drawn me in a lot more.

Anyway, I've finished the show today and have to say that the timeline thing was poorly done, all they needed was a '40 years ago...' subtitle once and that would have made things so clearer. I had no idea what was going on so found a site to explain it to me somewhere around episode 4 and after that enjoyed it a lot more.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: January 2, 2020, 11:42:19 pm »
I haven't played the games despite owning them all on Steam for a year. I tried the first one but after an hour of wandering around a castle being attacked by random mooks in some top-down point and click slasher I didn't see what all the fuss was about - I played enough Gauntlet in the 80s to bother.

Is it worth persevering with this, or just jumping ahead in the series? Having watched the show the world itself has now drawn me in a lot more.

Anyway, I've finished the show today and have to say that the timeline thing was poorly done, all they needed was a '40 years ago...' subtitle once and that would have made things so clearer. I had no idea what was going on so found a site to explain it to me somewhere around episode 4 and after that enjoyed it a lot more.

Persevere mate,start by going to all the village,pub,city notice boards and complete those tasks,once you've started going through them the story picks up and the world opens out.

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: January 2, 2020, 11:47:45 pm »

Are talking about starting from Witcher 1? I have played only 3, heard 2 is quite good too, but the 1 hasn't aged well.
« Last Edit: January 2, 2020, 11:49:42 pm by Niru Red4ever »
Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: January 3, 2020, 12:00:17 am »
The Expanse only died on syfy because they couldn't monetise it themselves,Ash v Evil dead was amazing and it's a crime that they canned it just as a new part of the story was about to be told.
There's no danger of The Witcher falling off any time soon, as it appears that it's had a more successful start than even the Mandalorian. A brand new ip that's bigger than a brand new Star Wars saga. That's telling, more so for Star Wars, which you'd expect to dwarf something like this in viewing figures, but it seems these days more and more people just don't give a toss about Star Wars anymore.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #95 on: January 3, 2020, 12:09:14 am »
Are talking about starting from Witcher 1? I have played only 3, heard 2 is quite good too, but the 1 hasn't aged well.

I bought all of them in a Steam sale ages ago and when it comes to a fantasy world I like to take in the lore so tried starting with 1, even though I heard only 3 was a top tier game. I just got nowhere with 1, found the first hour really dull and repetitive.

I think Mass Effect has ruined me on game series, I got to play that through in order and loved it, the idea of starting midway through seems weird. I know not all series are like that though.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #96 on: January 3, 2020, 12:20:30 am »
Just play the third one, because it's the best in terms of story and quests. Don't think you miss a lot by not playing the first two. Tried both of them and like you couldn't really get into them. Loved the third one although I still find most of the mechanics (like fighting) a bit shite.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: January 3, 2020, 09:03:46 am »
PS4. Not the ideal way I know

I've heard the performance is bad on the PS4 and obviously you're not getting the same level of visuals as on the PC, but you'll still get to enjoy most of what makes the game great, such as the quality of the writing, characters,  wonderfully atmospheric and 'alive' open world, amazing soundtrack and so on. 

There's no danger of The Witcher falling off any time soon, as it appears that it's had a more successful start than even the Mandalorian. A brand new ip that's bigger than a brand new Star Wars saga. That's telling, more so for Star Wars, which you'd expect to dwarf something like this in viewing figures, but it seems these days more and more people just don't give a toss about Star Wars anymore.

Yeah, The Witcher isn't going anywhere in a hurry.  It's already been green-lit for season 3.
« Last Edit: January 3, 2020, 09:06:35 am by Darren G »

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: January 3, 2020, 11:27:13 am »
I bought all of them in a Steam sale ages ago and when it comes to a fantasy world I like to take in the lore so tried starting with 1, even though I heard only 3 was a top tier game. I just got nowhere with 1, found the first hour really dull and repetitive.

I think Mass Effect has ruined me on game series, I got to play that through in order and loved it, the idea of starting midway through seems weird. I know not all series are like that though.

Check discussion in the Witcher (game) thread

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=315769.800

« Last Edit: January 3, 2020, 11:59:09 am by Dench57 »
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline ChrisOH

• Main Stander
« Reply #99 on: January 3, 2020, 02:06:38 pm »
Need to hurry up and get the soundtrack out.
Ye wha la.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #100 on: January 3, 2020, 07:55:57 pm »
Loved it. Was sceptical when Cavill was announced but he was brilliant, a proper Geralt.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #101 on: January 3, 2020, 10:09:56 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/VlBIrR_tu5g&amp;feature=emb_title" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/VlBIrR_tu5g&amp;feature=emb_title</a>

:lmao
:D

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #102 on: January 5, 2020, 11:25:09 pm »
Persevered with this for a while but found it laughably bad. Henry Cavill is very strong, but he is let down by nearly every other performance. Game of Thrones has sparked a TV fantasy resurgence, but (final season aside) it raised the bar so high that other shows look like poor copycats.

Don’t worry, I won’t stick around mindlessly droning about something others are enjoying. Just thought I’d offer an opinion contrary to what you’ve all said so far. Interested to hear if anyone else feels similarly?

Offline Anfield14

• Kemlynite
« Reply #103 on: January 6, 2020, 05:10:46 am »
Persevered with this for a while but found it laughably bad. Henry Cavill is very strong, but he is let down by nearly every other performance. Game of Thrones has sparked a TV fantasy resurgence, but (final season aside) it raised the bar so high that other shows look like poor copycats.

Don’t worry, I won’t stick around mindlessly droning about something others are enjoying. Just thought I’d offer an opinion contrary to what you’ve all said so far. Interested to hear if anyone else feels similarly?

Yeah you aren't alone! i stuck with it through to the end but found it a slog..... didn't come close to the lofty reviews (here and elsewhere) in my opinion.

Won't be sitting through another series.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #104 on: January 6, 2020, 10:42:07 am »

I can understand the comparison as they are sort of similar shows but I try not to compare to Game Of Thrones as it will end in disappointment, I don’t think we will ever get a show of that genre that hits the levels of Thrones did at certain points.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #105 on: January 6, 2020, 10:49:41 am »
I finished all the episodes a few days ago as well. It's totally worth it even just to see Cavill mumble "fuck" or "hmm" half the time.

That being said, they really went into it. About 15 minutes into the first episode I had to check if I had accidentally chosen to watch episode 4 or 5. Lots of confusion and different time lines but it's great fun.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: January 6, 2020, 11:52:42 am »
I think a lot of the problems with it come down to them throwing you in at the deep end, expecting you to know the lore, and also not explaining the timelines.

The acting (for the most part,) is good enough, the fight scenes alone are worth watching it for but the comparisons to Thrones end at ‘it’s got swords and magic.’

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: January 7, 2020, 10:22:52 am »
I can understand the comparison as they are sort of similar shows but I try not to compare to Game Of Thrones as it will end in disappointment, I don’t think we will ever get a show of that genre that hits the levels of Thrones did at certain points.

Much like Game of Thrones itself did.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #108 on: January 7, 2020, 11:25:18 am »
Much like Game of Thrones itself did.

Yep, But that's not for this thread.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: January 12, 2020, 09:07:16 pm »
Finished it today and really enjoyed it

Cavill was really good and I thought Anya Chalotra who played Yennefer was great too.  Yen was/is a great character.

I found it all bit like 'Last Kingdom' which I also love, so all good.

Looking forward to season 2.

Offline Kopite Tom

• Kopite
« Reply #110 on: January 13, 2020, 05:49:50 pm »
Really enjoying it so far, have only played around 25% of The Witcher 3 so found myself having to google certain phrases etc. Reading online about the timelines helped massively too. Got 3 episodes to go, might try & finish it tonight.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #111 on: January 26, 2020, 12:03:09 pm »
For fans of hardstyle and The Witcher (imagine its a super small cross over ;D)….

Toss A Coin To Your Witcher - Hardstyle Mix

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #112 on: February 7, 2020, 12:41:25 pm »
Had no idea about it other than that a video game existed with that name. I expected a fantasy bullshit overload, gave it a try and thought it was decent.

PS: Serious trouble of concentrating in the last episode after watching Sabrina's cleavage in multiple scenes.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #113 on: February 10, 2020, 12:45:52 pm »
Enjoying the show but where is all the Gwent? Also, why does Geralt not awkwardly loot everything in a room before he leaves it? :D

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #114 on: April 20, 2020, 09:11:03 am »
Tried getting into this a few times but couldn’t get past an episode or two. Started Witcher 3: Wild Hunt a couple of weeks ago and now this is a lot easier to get into. Actually know what’s going on!
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: September 29, 2020, 01:09:14 pm »
Watched 4 episodes of this and it’s decent. I have no idea about the books or the games but I’m enjoying it overall.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: October 3, 2020, 11:01:45 am »
Finished this last night and it’s decent if not a bit confusing. Yennifer is an absolute stunner though, couldn’t take my eyes off her in every scene she was in.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: October 3, 2020, 12:42:17 pm »
Finished this last night and it’s decent if not a bit confusing. Yennifer is an absolute stunner though, couldn’t take my eyes off her in every scene she was in.

A bit confusing but necessary,the only other way they could've done the origin stories (expect we will get more of Geralt) is through flashbacks,I preferred it how they did it though,they'll all be on the same timeline in S2 & I'm really looking forward to seeing Kaer Morhen.

Photos of S2 have been released,Ciri is in her Witcher outfit & S3 has already been given the nod.

https://redanianintelligence.com/2020/10/01/exclusive-first-look-at-ciris-new-costume-in-the-witcher-season-2/

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #118 on: July 13, 2021, 01:15:32 am »

'The Witcher: Season 2 Teaser Trailer | Netflix':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2aMVzFlApa0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2aMVzFlApa0</a>

'Welcome back. Season 2 of The Witcher premieres December 17, 2021 worldwide on Netflix.'
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #119 on: September 27, 2021, 04:55:55 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/bSDKdjLlFxE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/bSDKdjLlFxE</a>

Think it looks quite promising, even darker and grittier.
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...