Author Topic: The Witcher  (Read 19168 times)

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The Witcher
« on: December 20, 2019, 07:49:46 pm »
Had high hopes for this, finally released on Netflix today.

Only watched the first episode, script is a bit all over the place while it sets everything up and it doesn’t explain much if you’ve not read the books or played the games BUT...the fight scenes are worth it alone.

Cavill is a fantastic Geralt IMO.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
Re: The Witcher
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 07:53:21 pm »
On episode 3, personally think they've got far too many stories going at once, it's a bit hard to keep track of who's who in the zoo. Pretty fun series so far though.

Good fight scenes, well done acting and definitely keep watching.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 08:10:59 pm »
Just done episode 1 and I’m in. Started off nicely and set the scene.

As others have said, the fight scenes are ace with some lovely finishing moves.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 08:53:49 pm »
It's good, then? Doesn't come across as being a Xena/Spartacus cheapo obviously made for TV acting and effects, if you know what I mean?

Not surprised to hear the fight scenes are good. Cavill is a massive nerd regarding the character, and he's done some proper training with a sword for this.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 08:56:04 pm »
It's good, then? Doesn't come across as being a Xena/Spartacus cheapo obviously made for TV acting and effects, if you know what I mean?

Not surprised to hear the fight scenes are good. Cavill is a massive nerd regarding the character, and he's done some proper training with a sword for this.

Yeah it definitely doesn't have Spartacus feel to it.

It's pretty decent so far, episode 5.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2019, 09:02:39 pm »
Yeah it definitely doesn't have Spartacus feel to it.

It's pretty decent so far, episode 5.
Not to say Spartacus was shit. It was shit, but it was cheesy good shit. It was entertaining shit. Proper guilty pleasure, that was.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2019, 09:03:36 pm »
Not to say Spartacus was shit. It was shit, but it was cheesy good shit. It was entertaining shit. Proper guilty pleasure, that was.

Too true, this does feel way better though, much higher quality in production and acting.

Same number of tits and ass though.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2019, 09:19:16 pm »
Witcher 3 is in my top five games of all time and I’m thoroughly enjoying it so far. Apparently Cavill’s a big fan of the books and games and it really shows, he’s got the voice spot on.

Online Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2019, 09:22:40 pm »
It's good but bloody hell they have dived right in. Had to use subtitles to understand half of what they were saying.

Offline martinsquirtle

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2019, 10:51:43 pm »
Not entirely sure what is going on, but I am thoroughly enjoying it

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2019, 11:22:21 pm »
Very good first episode. Haven't got a clue what's going on like :D

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2019, 11:39:06 pm »
Only bad thing about it for me, I have run out of episodes to watch and they don't even start making season two until early next year.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2019, 12:21:10 am »
Fuck me... Just episode 2 and it's already boring my tits off. The jumping back and forth between storylines isn't really helping...

That said, I've never been a fan of or really interested in the Witchers' backstory...

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2019, 12:25:53 am »
Yeah the jumping around between story lines does get a bit confusing. They could have done that a lot better

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2019, 12:26:10 am »
Just finishing the first episode as we speak, think it warrants putting the second one on to see how it goes.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2019, 12:32:01 am »
Yeah the jumping around between story lines does get a bit confusing. They could have done that a lot better

It's not so much that it's confusing once you kind of get a grip of what's going on. It's just that fuck all happens and what has happened so far was rather  predictable.

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2019, 01:46:36 am »
Up to ep 8 now, loving it. Cavill kills it.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 02:24:57 am by The 1989 Brit Awards »

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2019, 02:23:41 am »
Watched 3 episodes so far, been surprisingly impressed, but fuck me they throw you in at the deep end.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2019, 02:25:32 am »
Finished it. Twas good, another season or two and the scope could grow as big as GoT.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2019, 08:09:35 am »
I think I need to turn the volume up I didn’t catch half the crazy shit they were mumbling about.

Good fight scenes though.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2019, 02:10:06 pm »
The multiple timelines took a little getting used to but it was a solid season,they've managed to tell a whole lot of story in just 8 episodes and they chose good stories to tell.

Can't wait for S2
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2019, 02:35:55 pm »
Each to their own like but not sure how the fuck people can watch 8 episodes of a show like this back to back.  It only came out yesterday FFS.

I've just watched episode 2 and really enjoying it.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2019, 03:08:00 pm »
Each to their own like but not sure how the fuck people can watch 8 episodes of a show like this back to back.  It only came out yesterday FFS.

I've just watched episode 2 and really enjoying it.

Brandy,cannabis and headphones fella.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2019, 03:12:02 pm »
Brandy,cannabis and headphones fella.

Well fuck yeah!!

I'm in :)

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2019, 04:07:50 pm »
Watched first two episodes last night. I'm impressed. Surprised at how good it is. Others were spot on saying that the acting is good. Cavill is fantastic as Geralt. Not only with how his acting is, but his physicality. He just looks the part and has a real commanding screen presence to him. He's a bit one note at times with his gruff tones, but that's just how Witchers are, and he breaks this on occasion with some levity which made me laugh several times. Cavill gets a lot of stick for some reason, but I think he's actually underrated, and this proves it.

Offline Casta

• way
  • Anny Roader
  • Kiba, Per Sempre nel mio Cuore...
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2019, 04:17:38 pm »
There's been some great tv shows this year, The Boys, Mandalorian, Watchmen and now this, Im 4 episodes in and it's very good thus far, I'm a fan of the PS4 Wild Hunt game so all the source material i know from is it from that and they ref a lot from it, All the leads all very good
Nostalgia isn’t what it used to be

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2019, 05:20:40 pm »
For those struggling with the multiple timeline thing.

Basically think of it as Yennefers story is the past, Geralt is the present and Ciri’s is slightly into the future at first until they catch up with each other.

Might make following the storylines a bit easier.

Only on episode 5 but loving it.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2019, 12:32:25 am »
How many bloody princesses are there?

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2019, 05:56:01 pm »
Is this show a follow on from another show? I feel like I’ve missed stuff. The characters talk about other characters like I’m supposed to know who they are. Got half way through the 3rd episode and was completely lost so turned it off.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2019, 07:35:05 pm »
Is this show a follow on from another show? I feel like I’ve missed stuff. The characters talk about other characters like I’m supposed to know who they are. Got half way through the 3rd episode and was completely lost so turned it off.
No. It just assumes that you're a fan and just proceeds and gets on with it. I actually like that about it, as it's a show that feels specifically made not to insult the intelligence of it's audience or fans of the books or the games. Although I can see how it would alienate others who aren't familiar with it, and can be very confusing. I'm not terribly familiar with the story, but I like the fact I've to piece it all together myself, and I think by episode 3 it manages to give a semblance of what it's trying to be, and felt like a stand alone mission of the Witcher 3's ' Bloody Baron' mission. If you look at Geralt's story arch as a sort of mission-based video game, where he's going off being the mercenary monster hunter, figuring out individual, inconsequential plots and hunting the individual creatures to flesh out the world's lore, that alone is worth it for me. That's an aspect of it I'd hoped there would be, and it delivers it. The other two story threads with Ciri and Yennefer play out by themselves, with Geralt's plot in the middle that eventually being the one that strings the three together.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2019, 07:45:17 pm »
No. It just assumes that you're a fan and just proceeds and gets on with it. I actually like that about it, as it's a show that feels specifically made not to insult the intelligence of it's audience or fans of the books or the games. Although I can see how it would alienate others who aren't familiar with it, and can be very confusing. I'm not terribly familiar with the story, but I like the fact I've to piece it all together myself, and I think by episode 3 it manages to give a semblance of what it's trying to be, and felt like a stand alone mission of the Witcher 3's ' Bloody Baron' mission. If you look at Geralt's story arch as a sort of mission-based video game, where he's going off being the mercenary monster hunter, figuring out individual, inconsequential plots and hunting the individual creatures to flesh out the world's lore, that alone is worth it for me. That's an aspect of it I'd hoped there would be, and it delivers it. The other two story threads with Ciri and Yennefer play out by themselves, with Geralt's plot in the middle that eventually being the one that strings the three together.

That would explain it then. I haven’t read the books or played a computer game in 20 years so I guess this wasn’t aimed at viewers like me. I wasn’t overly impressed with the sets neither, was there a lot of cgi used as a lot of it didn’t look real, even 2 characters having a conversation outside the background looked fake and a tad cheap. It’s getting good reviews from what I’ve seen so I guess the fans of the books and games like it.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2019, 07:52:40 pm »
That would explain it then. I haven’t read the books or played a computer game in 20 years so I guess this wasn’t aimed at viewers like me. I wasn’t overly impressed with the sets neither, was there a lot of cgi used as a lot of it didn’t look real, even 2 characters having a conversation outside the background looked fake and a tad cheap. It’s getting good reviews from what I’ve seen so I guess the fans of the books and games like it.
I think a lot of that appearance is down to it being made for HDR in mind, and also to replicate a lot of the aesthetic and art direction of the games. One scene with Roach sitting outside with cliffs and the highrise shacks looked like it was grabbed straight out of a cut scene from the game. I don't think it looks bad, though. In fact, I'm pretty impressed with how it looks and the overall cinematography in it. It still has that made for TV feel to it, but in some scenes it could be from a high budget film, especially some of the indoor shots. I was expecting it to look a lot worse, but they've done a good job with it. It's not Game of Thrones levels of production, but it doesn't have to be.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2019, 08:32:24 pm »
I think a lot of that appearance is down to it being made for HDR in mind, and also to replicate a lot of the aesthetic and art direction of the games. One scene with Roach sitting outside with cliffs and the highrise shacks looked like it was grabbed straight out of a cut scene from the game. I don't think it looks bad, though. In fact, I'm pretty impressed with how it looks and the overall cinematography in it. It still has that made for TV feel to it, but in some scenes it could be from a high budget film, especially some of the indoor shots. I was expecting it to look a lot worse, but they've done a good job with it. It's not Game of Thrones levels of production, but it doesn't have to be.

Yeah that’s probably what it is then as I read the budget is huge so it definitely wasn’t cheap  ;D

Offline chromed

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2019, 12:18:17 am »
Just finished episode one.

Brilliant - it’s set up very nicely. I’ve not read any of the books, I’ve only played the Witcher 3. But this is going to be great. I don’t want to rush the series.

Geralts fight scenes are incredible
YNWA - JFT97

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2019, 12:57:13 am »
Only finished 2 episodes and I'm not really gettining into it to be honest. First episode was decent, loved the choreography for the fight between Geralt and Renfri which was fantastic. But episode 2 was awful in my opinion, not much of Geralt, the bard character is awful and they cast a munter for Yennefer?

Acid or Shrooms ?

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2019, 01:03:19 am »
The thing that amuses me about Cavill's Geralt is that he comes across as being more of a Jedi than the so called Jedi's in any of the recent Star Wars films. Imagine if Disney actually had some direction and imagination and made a Star Wars film with this kind of character and tone to it (obviously without all the tits, swear words and extreme violence). Na, who am I kidding.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2019, 01:06:45 am »
Only finished 2 episodes and I'm not really gettining into it to be honest. First episode was decent, loved the choreography for the fight between Geralt and Renfri which was fantastic. But episode 2 was awful in my opinion, not much of Geralt, the bard character is awful and they cast a munter for Yennefer? Not sure if I'll continue from here just yet.
I liked that bard. His first song was fuckin awful, but it made me laugh. And Yennefer scrubs up well eventually. She's supposed to look like a munter lol.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2019, 06:02:34 am »
Making the most of a few weeks off work so just binged 8 hours. Took a few episodes to find its feet but thought it was fantastic.

Was dead set against Cavill as Geralt but he's almost pitch perfect. The bard (Dandelion in the game, Jaskier in the books/show) is also done well.

One of the rare Netflix shows that could actually benefit more from more episodes rather than less.
:D

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2019, 09:45:20 am »
Finished this at the weekend, really enjoyed it and it's a shame there's not more. It's great fun, but a bit all over the place, throwing you straight in with the different timelines and all the names/people/places. I'll admit to being a bit confused until the strands started coming together later on. Might just be me, but I'm not sure if I'd enjoy this half as much if I wasn't a huge fan of the games. Put me down as another sceptic of Cavill before this was released but he's brilliant as Geralt, and his fight scenes in particular were wonderfully choreographed.

Apparently they haven't even started shooting the second season though so we might be waiting a while. Very tempted to play through 3 again after watching!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 09:47:50 am by Dench57 »
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2019, 09:53:18 am »
they cast a munter for Yennefer?

Was wondering that myself but apparently she was a hunchback at first too in the books. Just wait  ;D
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017