Author Topic: Sophie Du Plantier: Murder at the Cottage  (Read 1798 times)

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
Sophie Du Plantier: Murder at the Cottage
« on: September 20, 2021, 07:05:44 pm »
For those who might not be aware, Sophie Du Plantier was a French film maker who was brutally murdered outside her holiday home in west Cork back in December 1996. Those among the chief suspects were her husband Daniel Du Plantier (also a film maker), Bruno Carbonnet (with whom she had a brief affair), and local resident Ian Bailey (who was the first journalist on the scene after her body was discovered).

To date, no one in Ireland has faced prosecution for her murder. Bailey however, was tried in absentia and convicted by French authorities in 2019. As of now, said authorities have requested that he be extradited to face a 25 year prison sentence in France. A request that the Irish Supreme Court has refused to facilitate

There are currently 2 documentaries about the case. The one on Netflix is called “Sophie’ and runs for three episodes. The one on Sky is called “Murder at the Cottage” and runs for 5 episodes. I’ve watched both and found them oddly intriguing. Definitely a must-see for fans of true crime docs. Just wondering if anyone else has seen either of these?
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Sophie Du Plantier: Murder at the Cottage
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 07:12:43 pm »
Your man Bailey's a creep. Was reading the other day the French expect him to get extradicted eventually

Offline A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2021, 07:20:02 pm »
Yep seen them both mate - I was too equally intrigued. I have to say, the evidence that the documentaries provide, isn't very conclusive. However there was something about Bailey I couldnt quite put my finger on that suggested he was a bit of an odd ball.

I just simply can't conceive his motive, to create a story to write about? That's pretty extreme to just have a story to report.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 07:26:29 pm »
Yep seen them both mate - I was too equally intrigued. I have to say, the evidence that the documentaries provide, isn't very conclusive. However there was something about Bailey I couldnt quite put my finger on that suggested he was a bit of an odd ball.

I just simply can't conceive his motive, to create a story to write about? That's pretty extreme to just have a story to report.

He's undoubtedly an odd ball. Definitely the eccentric type. A bit like myself ;D

That being said, I don't think he's a murderer. The evidence doesn't point to him IMO

The fact that the Irish Director of public prosecutions declined to charge him supports that I think
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 07:27:32 pm »
Your man Bailey's a creep. Was reading the other day the French expect him to get extradicted eventually

From what I've read, I don't think they can

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2021, 07:36:21 pm »
I saw 'Murder at the Cottage'.

Bailey comes across as a creep and there was evidence he assaulted his now ex girlfriend. Doesn't necessarily prove beyond reasonable doubt that he's a murderer.

However the initial inept investigation by the Gardai probably ensured that the value of any forensic evidence was lost.

Offline A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 07:37:48 pm »
The evidence doesn't point to him IMO

I agree, there is a simply a void of any real evidence pointing towards anybody. My suspicion is the culprit is closer to home, a rejected boyfriend or something of similar ilk. It was a very intimate, personal and prolonged attack, which indicates to me at least - it was emotively driven.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2021, 07:58:46 pm »
My feeling was that he probably did do it, but there just isn't enough to prove he did beyond a reasonable doubt.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2021, 08:26:56 pm »
From what I've read, I don't think they can
There was an article in the indo yesterday about how Ireland will eventually have to adhere to all European arrest warrant procedures. It's a European commision thing. who knows how it'll pan out.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/bailey-will-be-extradited-to-france-insists-lawyer-for-sophies-family-40864959.html

Offline rubber soul

• Kopite
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2021, 01:32:16 am »
I had absolutely no knowledge of this case, it passed me by at the time of the murder. I listened to a podcast series about it called West Cork earlier this year, worth a listen if you want to hear more.

The lack of DNA evidence means bailey will never be tried in Ireland. I have no idea if he's a murderer or not there was something very unsettling about him in the many interviews he did for the podcast.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2021, 09:26:54 am »
I listened to a podcast series about it called West Cork earlier this year, worth a listen if you want to hear more.

Was just about to say the same thing - very good listen.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Online kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2021, 11:08:22 am »
I've watched both documentaries and listened to the podcast, and I still can't decide about Bailey. If anything he strikes me as someone who would now confess just to gain more attention, had he actually done it. The alleged scratches on his arms are by far the most compelling evidence but it beggars belief no one took a photo of it.

One thing is for sure - he should not be extradited to France where he would face the most kangaroo of courts. I don't think there is enough or ever will be enough evidence to convict anyone.

But this is amazingly interesting case. Does anyone know any other podcasts or TV series in a similar vein?

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2021, 07:38:11 pm »
I've watched both documentaries and listened to the podcast, and I still can't decide about Bailey. If anything he strikes me as someone who would now confess just to gain more attention, had he actually done it. The alleged scratches on his arms are by far the most compelling evidence but it beggars belief no one took a photo of it.

See, it's interesting you say that, because I had a completely different interpretation of the scratches on his arms. To me, there's nothing compelling about that at all. At best, the scratches are circumstantial. Same too with him supposedly being sighted at the bridge near the victims house on the night of the murder. Even if that were true (which it turned out it wasn't), it's still circumstantial. It doesn't prove that he was at the scene, and it sure as hell doesn't prove that he actually murdered her

It's worth remembering that upon the first arrest, both Bailey and his partner willingly provided DNA samples to the police. No matches were found anywhere at the scene and no matches were found anywhere on the victim. It's also worth remembering that the victims body was exhumed in 2008 so that further forensic tests could be carried out. Again, even with advances in forensic testing, no matches were found to link Bailey to the crime.

When you put it all together, it's no surprise the DPP decided not to prosecute him. It's also no surprise that the Irish Supreme Court denied his extradition and told the French Judiciary to cop the fuck on to themselves. That being said, I do genuinely feel enormous sympathy for her parents and for her son. It's clear that they believe Bailey is guilty and are unlikely to ever get a sense of closure until they see him behind bars. That's another tragedy in itself IMO, and one which should prompt France to take a long hard look at their bullshit court system 

Online Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2021, 12:32:25 pm »
2 points for me regarding Bailey. Had he just just murdered someone and been left with visible scratches on his hands, why would he attend the Christmas day swim without wearing a pair of gloves, when that would not be at all out of the ordinary at that time of year? Also, it was never mentioned in either documentary whether it was unusual for him to head to his studio to work in the middle of the night. If the answer was yes, then that in itself would seem like quite compelling circumstantial evidence.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Online kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2021, 11:20:50 pm »
Over the years I've swung from thinking he did it, to thinking he's innocent, and back again. The truth is I'll probably never know and neither will anyone else, unless he (or someone else) confesses. His partner Jules, may also know a thing or two that she hasn't spoken about yet, or she may not.

The saddest part is that her family will never find a resolution that brings them some peace of mind. They may just want to think he's guilty because the alternative (that someone else did it and will never be caught) is a hard thing to accept. And you couldn't blame them for that. There's enough circumstantial evidence for them to think it's highly likely he did it. A lot of it is very compelling too, but it's not enough to build a case on for the DPP.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2021, 04:32:51 pm »
Over the years I've swung from thinking he did it, to thinking he's innocent, and back again. The truth is I'll probably never know and neither will anyone else, unless he (or someone else) confesses. His partner Jules, may also know a thing or two that she hasn't spoken about yet, or she may not.

The saddest part is that her family will never find a resolution that brings them some peace of mind. They may just want to think he's guilty because the alternative (that someone else did it and will never be caught) is a hard thing to accept. And you couldn't blame them for that. There's enough circumstantial evidence for them to think it's highly likely he did it. A lot of it is very compelling too, but it's not enough to build a case on for the DPP.

At the end of the documentary it said that he was no longer with Jules. No surprise there because he had previously assaulted her.

Online kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2024, 10:32:35 am »
For anyone who had an interest in this case, Ian Bailey has died.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c5168r5zj83o

It would be nice if there were some post-mortem revelations.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2024, 10:50:58 am »
For anyone who had an interest in this case, Ian Bailey has died.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c5168r5zj83o

It would be nice if there were some post-mortem revelations.

Aaah. At first I thought you meant from an autopsy but I suppose you mean from anyone close to him may have things to reveal.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2024, 12:01:28 pm »
Thought this was going to be about the second leg on Wednesday!
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.