Author Topic: A Christopher Nolan Thread  (Read 50012 times)

Offline sonny crockett

• Been highly respecting A@A since 2007, honestly, thinks the world of him!
  • Kopite
Re: A Christopher Nolan Thread
« Reply #640 on: August 17, 2017, 05:22:34 am »
I saw it twice, in IMAX and a regular screening. Honestly, wasn't that impressed. The second time I thought because my expectations were significantly lower I might get more out of the experience. Nope. It was a worse and I was thoroughly bored knowing what was going to happen next. It's a three star movie at best and once the hype dies down people will adjust their views accordingly.

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #641 on: August 18, 2017, 01:14:24 am »
I saw it twice, in IMAX and a regular screening. Honestly, wasn't that impressed. The second time I thought because my expectations were significantly lower I might get more out of the experience. Nope. It was a worse and I was thoroughly bored knowing what was going to happen next. It's a three star movie at best and once the hype dies down people will adjust their views accordingly.

It's just a very taught and tight story with very intricate plotting, staging and production - you can tell by now that Nolan is efficient.... 60 odd days shoot; and whilst that mightn't seem a massive thing, it kind of is. It is his shortest film and it feels a bit more like captured theatre than anything...

I have to say, that this felt like it could be done in a theatre and I wouldn't be surprised if it was performed live with a live band.

Anyhow - as an artefact, I think it is artistic... as a film, it is, as you say, just a very good film. It is easy to get idealistic and simply become what some people call Nolanian (or something). I quite like his work, but by the by, The Dark Knigt Rises' is a quality addition, but his weakest film.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline sonny crockett

• Been highly respecting A@A since 2007, honestly, thinks the world of him!
  • Kopite
« Reply #642 on: August 18, 2017, 03:50:47 am »
I love a Hans Zimmer score as much as the next person but Dunkirk is obnoxiously loud and overtakes what's happening on screen by deafening the audience.

On a few occasion the score takes you out of the film rather than enhancing what you're suppose to feel which is an abject failure of it's purpose.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #643 on: August 18, 2017, 04:08:11 am »
I love a Hans Zimmer score as much as the next person but Dunkirk is obnoxiously loud and overtakes what's happening on screen by deafening the audience.

On a few occasion the score takes you out of the film rather than enhancing what you're suppose to feel which is an abject failure of it's purpose.

IMO Zimmer is recycling his own tropes at this point. He peaked with The Rock. This score sounded pretty much identical to his Batman ones.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #644 on: August 18, 2017, 07:57:48 am »
Zimmer needs to take a chill pill and maybe listen to some old movie soundtracks. To say he's getting boring is a huge understatement.

I thought Dunkirk was excellent though. The best he's done since Inception, and maybe top 3-4 movies he's made so far.

I'm not going to be in a hurry to see it a second time, but that is not a key criterion for a quality film. 2001 was painful to watch, but as a piece of art, it's stunning.

This is not 2001. It's got a lot to enjoy, despite the intensity, but it is art. It's Nolan stripped of most of the mass entertainment bits. Just a simple idea, executed well. Except Zimmer. He's a dick.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #645 on: August 18, 2017, 08:01:30 am »
Zimmer will win the oscar for best soundtrack for it I suspect...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #646 on: August 18, 2017, 08:11:50 am »
Zimmer will win the oscar for best soundtrack for it I suspect...

Johann Johansson has three movies this year. His soundtrack for Arrival last year was excellent.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #647 on: August 26, 2017, 11:20:39 pm »
Just back from watching Dunkirk on an ODEON Isense screen. 

Most enjoyable and obviously a visually stunning piece of work.

Very little dialogue as far as feature films go and that can be a good thing in a movie like this. Actions, atmosphere, location and a unique soundtrack sometimes speak louder than spoken words.

I thought Nolan did a great job of giving the Dunkirk beach a sort of spooky, dystopian, post-nuclear fall out vibe.

Id not read much about the movie before watching it and was pleasantly surprised just how good it was. 

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #648 on: November 30, 2018, 01:39:01 pm »
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5207922/?ref_=nm_flmg_wr_1

Looks like Memento is getting the Hollywood treatment.

This could be great!

I bet they're queuing up to play the lead in this.

£10 on Leo as Lenny and Hardy as Teddy!

In fact, after looking a bit into it - looks as though he's just writing it, or is maybe getting a credit for the original screenplay.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 01:49:37 pm by Kidder. »
Continually on 11,420.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #649 on: November 30, 2018, 02:03:22 pm »
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5207922/?ref_=nm_flmg_wr_1

Looks like Memento is getting the Hollywood treatment.

This could be great!

I bet they're queuing up to play the lead in this.

£10 on Leo as Lenny and Hardy as Teddy!

In fact, after looking a bit into it - looks as though he's just writing it, or is maybe getting a credit for the original screenplay.

Horrendous idea.

People just need educating to go out and watch the masterpiece that is the original. I think I’ve personally introduced it to about 57 people.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #650 on: November 30, 2018, 02:39:17 pm »
I'm not sure it is. It says optioned and last updated over a year ago.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #651 on: November 30, 2018, 03:09:51 pm »
You never know though.

Hitchcock remade one or two of his films and it would be a shrewd move given his stock at the moment.

Continually on 11,420.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #652 on: September 7, 2020, 02:44:53 pm »
So, Tenet. Anyone seen it?

Saw it last night at the BFI. Was decent enough. Will take another watch to get my head around some of it. The muffled sound and inaudible dialogue some complained about in Interstellar is back.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #653 on: September 7, 2020, 03:14:02 pm »
So, Tenet. Anyone seen it?

Saw it last night at the BFI. Was decent enough. Will take another watch to get my head around some of it. The muffled sound and inaudible dialogue some complained about in Interstellar is back.

Yeah. I'm not sure about it yet. There was plenty I liked in it and it was mind-boggling in style and content. But I couldn't get my head round it on first viewing. Whereas Inception left you in awe and thoroughly entertained, I felt like a dumbass after Tenet.

He's certainly done with his version of Bond movies now surely. As someone else said, Nolan should probably have made HIS James Bond movie 10 years ago and got that out of his system.

JD Washington is great though. Robert Pattison is getting immense too; shame about the Covid-19, he should be back to Batman in a few weeks though, guy his age.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #654 on: August 16, 2023, 11:14:50 am »
Following Oppenheimer, I read a few shouts for Interstellar on the film thread.  Had the house to myself last night so thought id go for a rewatch.

After a few minutes in I realized I had in fact, never seen it!

What a fine way to spend almost 3 hrs with a full pack of ASDA blag hobnobs and an engrossing movie.

Wow, I wish id have watched that on IMAX the first time around, but it still looked great on my big telly.

Typical mind-bending Nolan stuff and I'm going to have to read a few recap and spoiler reviews to totally get my head around everything.  By all accounts, the scientific accuracy of the themes within (Black holes, Wormholes, etc) was as close as it could be.  While making the movie it looks like co-producer and theoretical physicist, Kip Thorne had to reel Nolan in at certain points, to keep things as real as they could be.

Good movie. 

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #655 on: August 16, 2023, 11:57:36 am »
Interstellar is great, as is Tenet, Inception and of course the Batman trilogy.

Controversial opinion but I thought Memento was a pile of shit.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #656 on: August 16, 2023, 12:07:27 pm »
I thought Tenet was a steaming pile of crap.
Audio was absolutely shocking, story needlessly tangled, action scenes after the initial 'a-ha' boring.

Online ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #657 on: August 16, 2023, 01:22:31 pm »
Tenet was good but it was way below the standard of his previous films. Oppenheimer is his best personally, was just phenomenal start to finish

The Prestige, Interstellar, Inception, Batman trilogy, Memento, Dunkirk. What a list of films he's had. Must surely go down as one of the greatest ever?

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #658 on: August 16, 2023, 01:37:47 pm »
I thought Tenet was a steaming pile of crap.
Audio was absolutely shocking, story needlessly tangled, action scenes after the initial 'a-ha' boring.
Cannot agree with you more.
Can a movie feel arrogant? Not sure if this is the right way to describe it, but Tenet felt arrogant. It tried to be needlessly convoluted but really wasn't.

Oppenheimer was a good return to form though.
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #659 on: August 16, 2023, 01:52:06 pm »
Oppy is his best imo.
Dark Knight my favourite.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #660 on: August 16, 2023, 02:13:58 pm »
Obligatory:

1. The Dark Knight
2. Inception
3. Batman Begins
4. Oppenheimer
5. Memento
6. Dunkirk
7. The Prestige
8. Interstellar
9. The Dark Knight Rises
10. Tenet

Not seen Insomnia

:D

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #661 on: August 16, 2023, 02:15:59 pm »
I think it is fairly obvious Oppenheimer wins Best Picture at the Oscars next year. The amount of money it has made, it is actually a miracle when you think of the subject matter and the length of the film.

Pitch black time for the movie industry and cinemas but at least funding for Nolan's next TWO films is secure now.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #662 on: August 16, 2023, 02:34:19 pm »
And that's a great thing.

I hope studios continue to chuck money at Villeneuve, Nolan and the like (I can't think of another to be honest). They won't bring in the same Box Office as an MCU Disney flick but they will turn you a profit and for the most part deliver a fantastic cinematic experience.
:D

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #663 on: August 17, 2023, 07:52:40 am »
And that's a great thing.

I hope studios continue to chuck money at Villeneuve, Nolan and the like (I can't think of another to be honest). They won't bring in the same Box Office as an MCU Disney flick but they will turn you a profit and for the most part deliver a fantastic cinematic experience.
Ridley Scott? Though he is quite old now.
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #664 on: August 17, 2023, 09:25:29 am »
I find his work a bit cold, though I admire his efforts to make intellectual movies for adults mainstream again.

The Prestige is my favourite of his movies.

I prefer Villeneuve at this point.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.