Author Topic: A Christopher Nolan Thread  (Read 50015 times)

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
A Christopher Nolan Thread
« on: September 1, 2013, 12:22:55 am »
 Right, I've been meaning to start a thread about this for a while. I know there are quite a few Nolanian's on here and I have massive respect for Christopher Nolan's work. It's not due out till next year, but I feel this is going to be a big one, perhaps his Alien?

The story has been doing circles in Hollywood for a while apparently and it's been picked up and dropped by a few directors.

Basically, some kind of Wormhole opens up near our Solar System and it's decided that we should explore it, opening some kind of parallel universe.

When will this guy stop? Are there any limits as to the man's ability?

Is this going to be a big hit, or is he, like plenty before him, going to hit the dreaded Sci-Fi barrier? (Carpenter, Hopkins, De Palma...)

Syncopy are currently filming somewhere in America and production is well underway... Pictures are surfacing here and there and rumours are rife on planet internet.

I for one, can't wait... I nearly pissed my pants waiting for The Prestige and I nearly fucking eat my own Cat whilst waiting for Inception... 

Anyhow... If Avatar and Prometheus get their own thread, this film surely should.

« Last Edit: August 5, 2016, 12:15:32 am by Kidder. »
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
Re: Interstellar (Christopher Nolan's next film).
« Reply #1 on: September 1, 2013, 12:28:56 am »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstellar_%28film%29

Pretty good cast, as you'd expect.

Not going to get too excited until I find out more specifics on what its actually about though.

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #2 on: September 1, 2013, 12:30:57 am »
Nolanian's 
The very fact that this exists as a thing makes me want to kick the world in the bollocks.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #3 on: September 1, 2013, 12:34:38 am »
I know, it's a proper gas... Just add "Ian" to the end of anyone's surname and they almost automatically become legendary...

Speaking of Legendary... I don't know the full gist, but Legendary have broken off from WB, I'm not sure if this will have a negative impact or not on this film? They've gone to Universal, so we could pretty much expect WB to pull out all the stops and release something similar around the same time.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #4 on: September 1, 2013, 02:03:36 am »
WE ARE THE NOLANITES

Warner Bros are trying to do "Lore", a Men In Black-but-with-mystical-monsters-instead movie with Dwayne Johnson. RIPD, which was Men In Black-but-with-dead-people-instead just got released and bombed terribly, so of course they would assume their version will be a success and not a failure too.

Offline Something Awful

• is stinking out the feedback forum. Wants a blow job from a velociraptor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #5 on: September 1, 2013, 06:31:13 am »
WE ARE THE NOLANITES

Warner Bros are trying to do "Lore", a Men In Black-but-with-mystical-monsters-instead movie with Dwayne Johnson. RIPD, which was Men In Black-but-with-dead-people-instead just got released and bombed terribly, so of course they would assume their version will be a success and not a failure too.

Right but The Rock is a fucking cash machine and Ryan Reynolds is Van Wilder.

Anyway after Inception I have no expectations for this. Not to say it won't be good, but I learned from Inception that hype is killer when it comes to Nolan's movies.
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: September 1, 2013, 06:52:22 am »
In my opinion the best thing about Christopher Nolan's films is Wally Pfister and he isn't working on Interstellar, he has his own sci-fi film coming out around the same time, probably minus the overbearing music.

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7 on: September 1, 2013, 07:47:02 am »
Joseph Gorden Levitt isn't in this one so I'm already excited.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #8 on: September 1, 2013, 11:15:01 am »
Looks a good cast. Nolan always has a few stalwarts to call upon (Caine, Bale etc) and it looks like Hathaway has joined that list. She was top class in The Dark Knight Rises and Les Mis. Interesting premise, hopefully decent.

Along the sci-fi bit, couldn't it be argued that Nolan has already produced a cracking sci-fi flick in Inception?
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: September 1, 2013, 11:56:03 am »
Joseph Gorden Levitt isn't in this one so I'm already excited.

But why ? He's pretty cool !
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Something Awful

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #10 on: September 1, 2013, 03:57:47 pm »
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #11 on: September 1, 2013, 04:58:26 pm »
Looks a good cast. Nolan always has a few stalwarts to call upon (Caine, Bale etc) and it looks like Hathaway has joined that list. She was top class in The Dark Knight Rises and Les Mis. Interesting premise, hopefully decent.

Along the sci-fi bit, couldn't it be argued that Nolan has already produced a cracking sci-fi flick in Inception?

Of course mate, in fact, in totality, Inception is Sci-Fi.

But, personally, I think the Sci-Fi barrier is going into Space mate. There's a term around somewhere that I read and I can't remember it, some said Danny Boyle went into Space and never came back. (Something like that...)

I mean, Inception... Yeah it's Science Fiction, because... Well, it basically takes the laws of Physics and bends them... But yeah, I dunno, there will be some Sci-Fi enthusiasts who would argue otherwise... I dunno mate, I mean, could it therefore be said that The Prestige is Sci-Fi, but it's not generalised as Sci-Fi is it?

By a stretch of the imagination, could it be said that Memento is Sci-Fi? I mean it does bend the laws of Physics doesn't it, even if it is ever so slightly. (For dramatic purpose(s).)
Continually on 11,420.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: September 1, 2013, 05:56:51 pm »

But, personally, I think the Sci-Fi barrier is going into Space mate. There's a term around somewhere that I read and I can't remember it, some said Danny Boyle went into Space and never came back. (Something like that...)

I dunno, I think there's a fair few science fictions that don't go near space. I've been reading through the SF Masterworks series of books this summer and there's been a fair few that have stayed on Earth. I would say Inception is certainly sci-fi, but I can see what you mean. It's a fairly difficult line. In books you get books which are science fiction but end up in the general or 'literary' fiction shelves, I'm thinking Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake books, and Jasper Fforde's Shade of Grey. Inception might be the movie equivalent of that, I see it as the authors (read directors) being considered as more arty or intelligent. Not that that is necessarily true...
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #13 on: September 1, 2013, 06:13:17 pm »
I dunno, I think there's a fair few science fictions that don't go near space. I've been reading through the SF Masterworks series of books this summer and there's been a fair few that have stayed on Earth. I would say Inception is certainly sci-fi, but I can see what you mean. It's a fairly difficult line. In books you get books which are science fiction but end up in the general or 'literary' fiction shelves, I'm thinking Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake books, and Jasper Fforde's Shade of Grey. Inception might be the movie equivalent of that, I see it as the authors (read directors) being considered as more arty or intelligent. Not that that is necessarily true...

Well, I think to a certain extent, that is where Nolan's strengths lie. His films are sort of "Suis Generais", a bit like Tarrantino (But in a different form).

When Batman came out, he really did a good job of veering it more central, it weren't fantastic and it weren't expressionist, it was fairly down-to-earth and I argued at the time, (To much hilarity to some), that he'd made the first neo-realist fantasy film. It's the same with Inception, give it to someone else (Like Snyder), and it'd be hammed up and overplayed to death. The concept would be lost in the ideas and half of the cinematography would be post-production.

I think this is where Chris Nolan's artform lies. He honestly lies to us, he doesn't just lie to us for the sake of entertainment. He tries to ground as much as he can in the moment with little or no pretense.

This is what I mean by Sci-Fi, (I guess). I imagine Interstellar will have a lot of post production. I know Inception will have, but mostly, can be shot practically, whereas a Space film would need to be Digital Effectery. (Unless of course, he goes all Ridley Scott on it).
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: September 1, 2013, 07:13:52 pm »
The very fact that this exists as a thing makes me want to kick the world in the bollocks.
;D

My thoughts exactly too.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #15 on: September 1, 2013, 10:19:47 pm »
:D

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #16 on: September 1, 2013, 10:22:22 pm »
By a stretch of the imagination, could it be said that Memento is Sci-Fi? I mean it does bend the laws of Physics doesn't it, even if it is ever so slightly. (For dramatic purpose(s).)

What laws does Memento bend  ???
:D

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #17 on: September 1, 2013, 11:25:26 pm »
What laws does Memento bend  ???

Ok, so it's Metaphysics... But in pure Dramatic terms, the life of Sammy Jankis/Lenny Shelby isn't something that is really based in any form of reality is it? Even Scientists have come out and said that the film depicts memory in a very plausible way. Whilst Amnesia is a real thing, the Performance of the film isn't necessarily  a truism is it?

I'm not saying it's Science Fiction, but I think the boundaries of Genre within Nolan's films are definitely blurred.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: September 2, 2013, 12:45:37 am »
Shit lead actor.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: September 2, 2013, 01:04:20 am »
WE ARE THE NOLANITES
:lmao
This cracked me up for some reason
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: September 2, 2013, 01:05:10 am »
Shit lead actor.

I've often felt the same way, but he had a spectacular 2012. Arguably the most consistent actor of the year, in terms of quality of movies he was in.

Bernie-Killer Joe-Magic Mike-The Paperboy

Really good run. I still can't warm to him on a personal level though.

Arguably closer to low fantasy IMO, but it's a pretty fine line.

Offline Something Awful

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #21 on: September 2, 2013, 02:46:20 am »
Erm, na.

He does creepy weird duets with Zooey Deschanel, once you see those you'll never take him seriously as an actor again. It's like casting the WE DEM MOYES BOYS guy as an action hero.

Offline scottys3k

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #22 on: September 4, 2013, 04:23:34 pm »
ah mate, why did you tell me about those singing duet things...  urghhhhh, so incredibly grim

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: September 4, 2013, 04:25:18 pm »
I'd do duets with Zooey Deschanel any day.

Anyway, he's a good actor.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #24 on: September 4, 2013, 06:16:54 pm »

Anyway, he's a good actor.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Something Awful

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #25 on: September 4, 2013, 06:21:06 pm »
ah mate, why did you tell me about those singing duet things...  urghhhhh, so incredibly grim

Hahahah I got cringebumps from it, wanted you to feel my pain.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: September 4, 2013, 08:40:44 pm »
I'd do share duets duvets with Zooey Deschanel any day.

get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #27 on: September 5, 2013, 07:54:03 pm »
But why ? He's pretty cool !

I find him extremely wooden and now overexposed. Does nothing for me except make me root against him....Still though, love Christopher Nolan's work.....As for the "Is Momento Sci Fi?" question. Absolutely not. It's barely a high concept movie.

Offline gritsvanilla

• Legacy Fan
  • A Light Souffle With Razor Blades
« Reply #28 on: September 6, 2013, 01:01:58 pm »
Oh joy more pretentious codswallop from the geeks director of choice. He's dead clever you know!

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #29 on: September 6, 2013, 01:21:04 pm »
I'd do share duets duvets with Zooey Deschanel any day.
I'd do share duets duvets HAVE SEXUAL INTERCOURSE with Zooey Deschanel any day.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline litliper

• Legacy Fan
  • Does anybody wanna buy a country?
« Reply #30 on: May 6, 2014, 08:46:09 pm »
"My country is the world, and my religion to do good." (Thomas Paine)

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #31 on: May 6, 2014, 09:25:29 pm »

That confirms it.

It's definitely about Space.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #32 on: May 6, 2014, 09:28:35 pm »
That confirms it.

It's definitely about Space.
Or someone called Stella......
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #33 on: May 6, 2014, 09:31:30 pm »
Is he going to stop making films when Michael Caine kicks the bucket?
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Something Awful

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #34 on: May 8, 2014, 12:49:30 am »
Is he going to stop making films when Michael Caine kicks the bucket?

As long as the terrible french girl that sucked in Inception and Batman is out of the way I'm cool.

Also JGL can fuck off.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: May 8, 2014, 06:42:27 am »
As long as the terrible french girl that sucked in Inception and Batman is out of the way I'm cool.

Also JGL can fuck off.

Marion Cotillard?

Do you have a problem with good actors mate? ;D

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: May 8, 2014, 07:10:03 am »
WE ARE THE NOLANITES

Would be curious to know what you mean by lore in this context.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: May 8, 2014, 10:03:33 am »
Also JGL can fuck off.

So much wrong with that its untrue.
« Last Edit: May 8, 2014, 11:35:23 am by The G in Gerrard »

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #38 on: May 8, 2014, 10:49:08 am »
Marion Cotillard?

Do you have a problem with good actors mate? ;D

Fixed that for you.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline RedSandgrounder

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: May 8, 2014, 10:58:33 am »
As Kermode says, Nolan is one director who is using big budgets to attempt to make clever blockbusters, with character development and that are more challenging than your Transformers of this world.

I for one am fairly excited about this, The Prestige is one of my favourite films, and Inception, and the Dark Knight Trilogy aren't far behind.
PSN: DHitchers