Author Topic: Space exploration thread - Unexpected Rapid Disassembly in the launch area.  (Read 314547 times)

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Re: Space exploration thread
« Reply #280 on: August 28, 2012, 09:16:55 pm »
If you look at the mountain, it looks like you can see many layers of different strata too
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #281 on: August 28, 2012, 09:17:16 pm »
Studio lighting ;)

I've seen that film... :D
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #282 on: August 28, 2012, 10:12:54 pm »
Who'd have thought Geology was interesting.

Thanks for posting that.

Mars: A Horizon Guide on BBC Four NOW!!
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: August 28, 2012, 11:00:46 pm »
I'm quite surprised that Mars is so bright on the surface given how far away the sun is?

I assume the pictures have been appropriately adjusted, possibly using the same technology the BBC uses to make Wimbledon matches look like it's daylight when it's actually dusk.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #284 on: August 29, 2012, 02:07:23 pm »
I'm quite surprised that Mars is so bright on the surface given how far away the sun is?

As I understand it, Mars gets roughly 40% of the sunlight Earth receives.  According to Wiki that puts the surface brightness at roughly what you'd see on a cloudy day on Earth.  BUT - there's also a lot of backscattering of light because of all the dust suspended in the Martian atmosphere, which can not only brighten the day but also means the twilights last far longer than on Earth.

Just looking at those hi-res descent images, we've probably not seen anything like that since the moon landing.  The Titan lander was similar but nowhere near as good quality.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #285 on: August 29, 2012, 02:18:59 pm »
Cheers for the comments about the light there.

Wonder if I'll see a base on the Moon (Promised) or Mars (Written up) in my lifetime..?

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #286 on: August 31, 2012, 09:10:23 am »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: September 2, 2012, 09:06:53 pm »

Popcorn's Art

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #288 on: September 3, 2012, 12:06:54 am »
This is just truly stunning stuff.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #289 on: September 5, 2012, 09:55:13 am »
Meanwhile....

Most distant image of Earth, taken by Voyager 1.

35 years old today and still going!

11 Billion miles from the sun.

11,000,000,000 miles.
« Last Edit: September 5, 2012, 02:48:46 pm by Uhoh AureliOs »

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #290 on: September 5, 2012, 10:08:50 am »
It's amazing something so technologically primitive can still be going and so far.

"Each only has 68 kilobytes of computer memory. To put that in perspective, the smallest iPod — an 8-gigabyte iPod Nano — is 100,000 times more powerful. Each also has an eight-track tape recorder."

Goodbye solar system!
« Last Edit: September 5, 2012, 10:13:36 am by Uhoh AureliOs »

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: September 5, 2012, 03:52:28 pm »
I love the Voyagers.  I grew up with them and I think their achievements are second only to the Moon landings.  Although this is a simulated image it's still pretty impressive, showing Voyager 1 as of 2012.

Popcorn's Art

Offline RedRabbit

• Rampant but without the batteries.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
« Reply #292 on: September 6, 2012, 07:48:36 pm »
That's class Lfsea. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #293 on: September 6, 2012, 08:09:24 pm »
Has Voyager actually left our 'bubble' and if so are we still receiving signals from it/them?

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: September 6, 2012, 08:42:55 pm »
Meanwhile....

Most distant image of Earth, taken by Voyager 1.

35 years old today and still going!

11 Billion miles from the sun.

11,000,000,000 miles.

Gotta love the Pale Blue Dot! Also, one of my favorite moments from this entire show.

Really though, I've often wondered why we don't take a crack at another Voyager-style program. With the advance of technology since then, we should be able to send probes out farther, faster, and with vastly improved data-gathering, data-delivery (the entirety of Wikipedia on a MicroSD card, anyone?), and communications abilities. The way I see it (as an utter layman, mind you), it wouldn't be such a tall order for somebody to design a compact, easily-reproducible probe with all of the appropriate cameras, sensors, and communications equipment, then build loads of them. Base it on current propulsion tech and you'd negate the need for a lot of the typical R&D. We could have fifty of them going in fifty different directions within a few years.

(Nobody tell me why this isn't possible, please. A man can dream!)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #295 on: September 6, 2012, 10:11:51 pm »
Gotta love the Pale Blue Dot! Also, one of my favorite moments from this entire show.

Really though, I've often wondered why we don't take a crack at another Voyager-style program. With the advance of technology since then, we should be able to send probes out farther, faster, and with vastly improved data-gathering, data-delivery (the entirety of Wikipedia on a MicroSD card, anyone?), and communications abilities. The way I see it (as an utter layman, mind you), it wouldn't be such a tall order for somebody to design a compact, easily-reproducible probe with all of the appropriate cameras, sensors, and communications equipment, then build loads of them. Base it on current propulsion tech and you'd negate the need for a lot of the typical R&D. We could have fifty of them going in fifty different directions within a few years.

Look of the cost of the Voyager missions so far. I'd guess that 50 of those things would cost 50 x that.

Mind you, these days with the T'internet - you could launch them and have a load of volunteers all over the world monitoring the data - you could open share it and everyone could see it. That would be ace. You'd just need to employ a few bods at a server farm/data centre and run it like SETi.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: September 6, 2012, 10:40:57 pm »
Has Voyager actually left our 'bubble' and if so are we still receiving signals from it/them?

Voyager 1 is about 120 AU from the Sun and could break into interstellar space literally any time now.  Although it's worth mentioning that the Oort Cloud could reach out anything up to 50,000 AU so there's a big difference between the boundary marked by the solar wind and the actual limit of the sun's gravity.

On the subject of Voyager like missions, New Horizons will investigate Pluto in 2015.  Voyager 1 could have visited Pluto but they opted for close up shots of Titan instead.  The upside of that is that the technology New Horizons will use to investigate Pluto is light years ahead of the Voyagers, whereas if Voyager 1 had visited chances are we'd never have bothered going back. 

New Horizons will also investigate the heliosphere assuming it survives that long.

Popcorn's Art

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #297 on: September 6, 2012, 11:48:51 pm »

Ah, those were the days at JPL, I hear... Apparently, we used to have a blank check from NASA. Just tell them how much the project cost overrun is and the money keep pouring. A man can dream!...

Look of the cost of the Voyager missions so far. I'd guess that 50 of those things would cost 50 x that.

Mind you, these days with the T'internet - you could launch them and have a load of volunteers all over the world monitoring the data - you could open share it and everyone could see it. That would be ace. You'd just need to employ a few bods at a server farm/data centre and run it like SETi.
The Voyager mission cost almost $875M in 1972 dollars. With inflation, this is $4.8bn in today's money, and this is before NASA added its heavy administration cost, which would almost double that amount. The biggest mission NASA is willing to consider is on the $1bn scale. JUNO was originally $4.2bn, but they cancelled it. The joint ESA-NASA Mars mission was about $2bn. I'm not sure of NASA will fund anything on the few billion dollar scale any time soon...

As for the data, the bottleneck is acquiring the data from the mission and sending them to Earth. They all have to be transferred with a rather low rate by Internet standards. The record to-date is 479 Mbits per satellite pass (MRO) over Curiosity, then the data have to make it to Earth via the Deep Space Network (the three radiotelescopes in the U.S., Spain and Australia). So, overall, we get less than 1 Gb data per day with the most advanced technology; not much to go by... I don't think that will ever be transferred to anyone else, because DSN is the JPL's bargaining chip for taking part in different missions (sorry ESA folks...) that costs over $0.5bn in operation costs. But what NASA can do is transfer the long-lasting missions to universities or private institutions, which would save us operations money and will keep getting science data for cheap. I think there is a talk of looking into that. It hasn't been done so far because of the argument of spending taxpayers dollars for the benefit of a given institution, but a bidding process can solve that. I'm all for it.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: September 8, 2012, 09:47:44 am »
Rover self portrait. 

Popcorn's Art

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: September 8, 2012, 09:52:05 am »
Johhny 5 has lost an eye! Oh, the humanity!
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #300 on: September 8, 2012, 09:59:02 am »
Your NASA stuff is still there for me
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: September 8, 2012, 11:05:42 am »

Colour Apollo 13 photo, from a time when US space budgets were so massive, NASA could afford to send off big illustrated packs to children in the UK!

That's a great story Lfsea, thanks for sharing it. Whilst it would have been great publicity for NASA it would also have been a good way of recruiting people from new markets. Did it inspire you to go on to do anything related? I currently work in Aerospace with a background in Engineering/Electronics and Computing and whilst I may be able it earn more cash working in other industries, I wouldn't change anything. Even now I'm still fascinated with science and technology.
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: September 8, 2012, 11:12:39 am »
Quality story that LFSea.

That pic of Earth from Voyager 1 is awesome. Makes us all seem quite insignificant in the grand scehme of things.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #303 on: September 8, 2012, 05:53:07 pm »
Have the pictures I posted above gone for everyone?
I see them. Amazing story!

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: September 8, 2012, 06:51:16 pm »
For anyone further interested in the Voyager 1 photo of Earth and who doesn't already know: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Blue_Dot

Plus, required listening (it's written on that Wikipedia page anyway): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wupToqz1e2g

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #305 on: September 8, 2012, 09:02:56 pm »
Sadly it's not my rosy-spectacled tale. I was visiting a site I hadn't been on to for probably 10 years to see if it still existed, and it was the first blog post on the site, put up just a couple of days ago.

I've always had a deep fascination with space and physics, but my lack of mathematical skill has prevented any progress in that field! I'm trying to understand the nuances of particle physics so I can get more out of the experiments at the likes of CERN, but I'm more hovering a couple of millimetres above the ground, rather than jetting off through interstellar space.

Yes if you cannot get to grip with the maths, you will soon sink on a Engineering degree, Fast Fourier Transforms and all that magic stuff. This was one of the main books that got me through my first degree at University:-

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: September 11, 2012, 06:24:05 pm »
Asteroid 4 Vesta, filmed on 1 August 2011:

Popcorn's Art

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #307 on: September 11, 2012, 06:53:48 pm »
Being away since right after the Mars landing, I wasn't following on the odds for getting another Flagship mission, but I thought NASA will give us 'a reward' for a job well done on Mars. Instead, they tickled us a bit - they awarded the InSight, a Mars 2016 geological lander. This is a twin lander (with minor modifications) to the 1999 Mars Polar Lander that crashed and the 2007 Phoenix lander that landed, did some science, but wasn't a great success. I'm curious how we'll fit it within the budget, since all parts are now obsolete and we need to redesign the electronics from scratch... InSight is a Discovery mission under $450M, which is roughly the Curiosity mission operation budget for the first year. Ah well, we're still waiting for the big one (like San Francisco)...

Anyone involved on the European side of things (CNES, DLR)?

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: September 11, 2012, 08:56:09 pm »
A tribute to the late Neil Armstrong who passed away recently:-

RIP

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/k_OD2V6fMLQ?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/k_OD2V6fMLQ?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/G6A72ufn3l4?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/G6A72ufn3l4?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB</a>

« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 08:59:11 pm by Yosser0_0 »

Offline Roopy

• Kopite
« Reply #309 on: September 12, 2012, 05:33:43 am »
I find this quite fascinating.

Universe is f'ing HUGE. So huge that our brains cannot actually process the enormity of it.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/tB-7ssNLqT8?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/tB-7ssNLqT8?fs=1</a>

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #310 on: September 17, 2012, 03:01:20 am »
That was an amazing video!  Every one of those blips is an entire galaxy, right?  There seems to be some sort of honeycomb structure to it all
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: September 19, 2012, 01:02:07 pm »
Whats the latest news on the curiosity?

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: September 19, 2012, 10:21:54 pm »
Whats the latest news on the curiosity?
So far so good. All systems have checked and the rover is healthy, there are no significant issues at work. It's moving; as of Sol 41 the odometer was at 227m (yeah, that's meters...). The arm is stowed for the move, so only opportunistic science is being done at this time.

In the mean time, check out these panoramas:
From Opportunity:   http://www.panoramas.dk/mars/greeley-haven.html
From Curiosity:        http://www.panoramas.dk/mars/curiosity-first-color-360.html

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #313 on: September 19, 2012, 10:54:42 pm »
Some transit shots of Phobos, taken by Curiosity:

Popcorn's Art

Offline Okkervil

• Smells... love me love my gas
  • Legacy Fan
    • Support The Retired Greyhound Trust.
« Reply #314 on: September 20, 2012, 07:14:00 pm »
To make men Socialists is nothing, but to make Socialism human is a great thing. - Oscar Wilde

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #315 on: September 21, 2012, 10:07:14 pm »
Shuttle Endeavour just flew over JPL a little while ago. It was quite disappointing as they were supposed to be lower and a had a second camera set for video, but I didn't even turn it on... I wanted the whole of JPL in the background, but couldn't do it with my 18mm lens. Anyway, here it is:

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #316 on: September 22, 2012, 01:03:15 am »
I was driving my 82-year old father home in San Francisco when the shuttle flew over our heads.  He lives on a hill, so it looked really close!  No pictures unfortunately.

I feel sad that an era is over and that the shuttle was on its way to retirement instead of some new mission. 

Hopefully we'll have a new space vehicle to cheer for soon.
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: September 25, 2012, 06:15:55 pm »
Still a fair distance to go, but nothing like an update. :)

Popcorn's Art

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #318 on: September 28, 2012, 12:55:04 pm »
Curiosity Mars rover beams images of ancient streambed

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19744131

Nasa's Curiosity rover has only been on the surface of Mars seven weeks but it has already turned up evidence of past flowing water on the planet.

The robot has returned pictures of classic conglomerates - rocks that are made up of gravels and sand.

Scientists on the mission team say the size and rounded shape of the pebbles in the rock indicate they had been transported and eroded in water.

Researchers think the rover has found a network of ancient streams.

The rocks, which were described in a media briefing at Nasa's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in California, were likely laid down "several billion years ago". But the actual streams themselves may have persisted on the surface for long periods, said Curiosity science co-investigator Bill Dietrich of the University of California, Berkeley.

"We would anticipate that it could easily be thousands to millions of years," he told reporters.

Satellites at Mars have long captured images of channels on the planet's surface that were cut by some kind of flow, assumed to be liquid water. Curiosity's discovery at its landing site in the equatorial Gale Crater provides the first real ground truth for those observations.

By luck, the rover just happened to roll past a spectacular example of the conglomerate. A large slab, 10-15cm thick, was lifted out of the ground at an angle.

"We've named it Hottah," said rover project scientist John Grotzinger. The name refers to a lake in Canada's Northwest Territories. The team is using names from this region to catalogue objects at Gale.

"To us it just looked like somebody came along the surface of Mars with a jackhammer and lifted up the sidewalk that you might see in downtown LA at a construction site," he joked.

Scientists are now studying the images of the pebbles in the rock. The sizes and shapes will give them clues to the speed and distance of the ancient water flow.

The discovery site lies between the northern rim of the crater and the huge mountain that rises up from its central plain.

Previous orbital imagery of the region had hinted there might have been a water feature there. Curiosity's conglomerates support that hypothesis.

In this view, some of the pebbles have weathered free from the rock The current interpretation is that the rover is sitting at the head of an alluvial fan of material that washed down through the crater wall and across the plain, cutting many individual streams. Researchers even think they can identify the particular valley at the rim where the water entered the crater, and they have named it Peace Vallis.

There is an eagerness also to study the chemistry of the conglomerates because that will give an indication of the nature of the water - its pH value, for example - and that will provide some clues as to what the environment at the time might have looked like.

At the moment, the rover is heading towards a location dubbed Glenelg. Scientists think this will give them the best access to the rocks of interest.

The US space agency's $2.6bn mission touched down on the Red Planet on 6 August (GMT).

Much of the time since then has been spent commissioning the immensely complex, six-wheeled machine and its suite of 10 instruments.

Curiosity is funded for one Martian year (two Earth years) of study. It will try to determine in that time whether past environments at Gale Crater could ever have supported microbial life.

Offline Ginamos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: September 28, 2012, 07:10:22 pm »
"To us it just looked like somebody came along the surface of Mars with a jackhammer and lifted up the sidewalk that you might see in downtown LA at a construction site," he joked.

Loved that bit.

I don't imagine it was ever a hospitable environment that humans could have walk around in, but it's a lovely way of describing the geology.