Author Topic: Rattus norvegicus/Rats/Rowland/Vermin  (Read 12270 times)

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
Re: RATS
« Reply #120 on: August 12, 2021, 05:58:46 pm »
Bought the trilogy a while back for a fiver. With CGI they should revisit it and make a film or 3 season x 6 eps.

I'd like them to make a film of 'Once'
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
Re: Rats - Rattus norvegicus
« Reply #121 on: August 12, 2021, 07:35:25 pm »
Get yourself a West Highland Terrier...beneath the cute exterior lies a ratter extraordinaire...
We used to have two of them, and not much got past them. Hopefully we'll be getting another one soon too.

Jack Russells are great ratters too.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline joe buck

• Kopite
  • La La La La La Goose Goose Goose Goose.
« Reply #122 on: August 12, 2021, 07:44:18 pm »
Some superb replies here, RAWK never lets you down.

Latest update, the pest control fella from the council turned up yesterday, but unlike the first guy who was dour, matter-of-fact and was gone within five minutes, this guy was literally Bez from The Happy Mondays on speed!
He gleefully had his head in bushes, down drains, sniffing the grass and basically behaving like a Manc Steve Irwin rat catcher! All was well and talk was turning to footy until he went into the entry (thats alleyway/ginnel/jigger for those unfamiliar) and came crashing back into my garden, hawking and barking going "uhhhh fookin hell, uhhhh Jesus!".

Turns out he'd found the nest which was underneath some paving flags in the entry and had found a dead rat, which the smell was rather distinctive.  :-\

He had the rats carcass by the tail and was swinging it about, much like the scene from Kes when 'aw Jud' is swinging the bird round in the house!

The fookers are literally all over the street, infact, all over Page Moss!  :butt
i lived in page moss in the 70s and 80s so some folks on her will remember
the houses getting modernised extensions replasterd the full works
once the work started the rats were all over the place thousands of the fuckers
they would come out of the wall cavities when you were in bed i used to shoot them with my 2.2
webley and scott air rifle.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #123 on: August 13, 2021, 08:16:23 am »
they would come out of the wall cavities when you were in bed i used to shoot them with my 2.2

Where in the Moss did you live Joe? To be honest they are rife around here now, where The Eagle & Child was is now a Maccies and Domino's and there is loads round there.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: August 13, 2021, 08:43:22 am »

Fucking hell that's bad that.

Hope you hadn't read James Herberts The Rats by that point ;D

Where in the Moss did you live Joe? To be honest they are rife around here now, where The Eagle & Child was is now a Maccies and Domino's and there is loads round there.

They were probably too shit scared to show their faces when the Eagle was there ;D

Plenty of dropped food to feed the buggers now.
Jurgen YNWA

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #125 on: August 13, 2021, 09:09:20 am »
Apart from the birds we have red squirrels, a hedgehog and a rat (singular as I've one seen one at a time not because there is only one) that visit the feeders or what's dropped to the floor.

We also get rabbits and weasels in the garden and there's plenty of buzzards too.

Our next door neighbours brother is the local pest control person so if we start getting overrun with the rats we know where to go but for now I prefer to let nature do its job.

Offline joe buck

• Kopite
  • La La La La La Goose Goose Goose Goose.
« Reply #126 on: August 13, 2021, 06:12:54 pm »
i lived in filton road off stockbridge lane  i took a drive round the area a couple of years ago
my old house had been knocked down  :'(

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #127 on: August 15, 2021, 01:05:27 pm »
Popped into a boozer in Bristol the other evening, just waiting for our drinks and a large rat wandered in through the front door - bold as brass. It did a circuit round the perimeter of the bar and eventually came to our table by which time my missus was up on the bench seat shrieking.

Bar staff chased it out with a broom and were very apologetic - there is probably not much they can do about rats in the streets but they offered to give us our drinks for free. The place has only just reopened and I imagine it needs every penny so we paid anyway.

We laughed about it afterwards but I can imagine it some customers being less than understanding.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
Rattus norvegicus/Rats/Rowland/Vermin
« Reply #128 on: June 27, 2023, 01:10:36 pm »
Does anyone else have an issue with rats in there garden/home more so lately? I live in Huyton and our area is absolutely overrun with the bastards.
Whilst thankfully they aren't in my house, they are everywhere else. In the back garden, in the neighbouring gardens, literally everywhere.

Last week I put some recycling in one of my bins only to find a rat, alive and kicking, peering back up at me! It had gnawed through the plastic lid of the bin and was now trapped inside. Then, a few days ago, I happened to glance out of my kitchen window to see two giant rats quite happily chasing each other around the garden - in broad daylight!

I own my house, Knowsley Council want £25 per visit for pest control to come out and put poison down. I complained to the council and said I can't go in the garden in this heat because of them, the woman who came out said pretty much its a city wide problem and there isn't a great deal they can do.
Its going to end up like New York where the critters have taken over.

Does anyone know any tips or suggestions to keep them away from my bins or out my garden?
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Re: Rattus norvegicus/Rats/Rowland/Vermin
« Reply #129 on: June 27, 2023, 01:15:43 pm »
I see a few in my local park on paths near allotments and/or the river and canal. Don’t mind that so much. Have actually seen a couple of dead ones on the pavements closer to where I live which is a bit grim all round.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #130 on: June 27, 2023, 01:50:14 pm »
at first i thought you were talking about... (see photo)

my mate lives near to waterpark drive and he sees them regularly in his garden

rats are looking for food and drink mainly - so if your garden/yard is clean then you're off to a good start

if one got into your recycle bin then make sure to clean out any food packaging before putting into the bin - they have amazing smell

so any dog food/bowls or cat food/bowls or bird tables MUST be cleared and cleaned regularly

along with bbq grills, outside table and chairs

and make sure there is no water gathering in things like garden pots or in puddles as they'll drink from these

and also make sure there's no place for them to hide or use a shelter

block any rat 'runs' - if you see a hole then block it (remember they reckon they can get through a hole the size of a 50p!) and put down small bowls of bleach if needed

definitely don't try to catch any and if you're looking at poison then just be wary of other animals and kids

doing all this will help deter the rodents  :wave

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline AlphaDelta

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: June 27, 2023, 02:44:36 pm »
at first i thought you were talking about... (see photo)

my mate lives near to waterpark drive and he sees them regularly in his garden

rats are looking for food and drink mainly - so if your garden/yard is clean then you're off to a good start

if one got into your recycle bin then make sure to clean out any food packaging before putting into the bin - they have amazing smell

so any dog food/bowls or cat food/bowls or bird tables MUST be cleared and cleaned regularly

along with bbq grills, outside table and chairs

and make sure there is no water gathering in things like garden pots or in puddles as they'll drink from these

and also make sure there's no place for them to hide or use a shelter

block any rat 'runs' - if you see a hole then block it (remember they reckon they can get through a hole the size of a 50p!) and put down small bowls of bleach if needed

definitely don't try to catch any and if you're looking at poison then just be wary of other animals and kids

doing all this will help deter the rodents  :wave

Some cracking advice there, thanks LB

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: June 27, 2023, 03:00:55 pm »
Liverpool is one of the worst areas in the country for rats right now, so following liverblokes advice will deffo help keep this fucker away

Jurgen YNWA

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: June 27, 2023, 04:50:03 pm »
Weirdly I haven't seen any this year yet. Usually the cat brings them in - alive, so that we both then have to chase them :no

I think if you see them in broad daylight doing something weird, they might have been poisened already. They get desparate for water, and also start eating inedible things, like concrete.

Pretty sure rat pest control is free in Liverpool (council area). At least it was a couple of years ago. Not needed them for a while, as the cat keeps them out of my house. (Though they do live in the entry under the cobbles).
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 04:52:39 pm by redbyrdz »
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: June 27, 2023, 05:43:33 pm »
Weirdly I haven't seen any this year yet. Usually the cat brings them in - alive, so that we both then have to chase them :no

I think if you see them in broad daylight doing something weird, they might have been poisened already. They get desparate for water, and also start eating inedible things, like concrete.

Pretty sure rat pest control is free in Liverpool (council area). At least it was a couple of years ago. Not needed them for a while, as the cat keeps them out of my house. (Though they do live in the entry under the cobbles).

He lives in Huyton, so he's a wool under Knowsley council ;)
Jurgen YNWA

Offline AlphaDelta

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: June 27, 2023, 09:04:34 pm »
He lives in Huyton, so he's a wool under Knowsley council ;)

:D :D guilty - I've got maroon bins, not purple!

Offline zamagiure

• tujenkins
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: June 27, 2023, 09:47:32 pm »
The Stranglers debut album and best album ever.
Although I've got the raven as my profile pic.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 09:54:57 pm by zamagiure »
mines a pint

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #137 on: June 27, 2023, 11:30:54 pm »
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #138 on: June 28, 2023, 03:51:10 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-65039451

On a bright Sunday morning the wildlife-lovers gather in Miramar, a scenic peninsula. They are on an exterminating mission.
Predator-Free Miramar aims to protect birds in this area of Wellington, New Zealand's capital, by ridding it of rats - every last one of them.
After donning hi-vis jackets, the volunteers are handed peanut butter - ideal bait for rodents - and poison.
Each is assigned a patch where they will check coil traps and toxin-laced bait boxes. "Good luck fellows," says Dan Coup, who leads the group.

A GPS app guides Coup through the bush to devices on his route. For each one he replaces the bait and updates the information on the app. None shows signs of a visit by a rat.
But as he surveys the ground for droppings and other clues, his phone vibrates. One participant has posted an image to their WhatsApp group: a dead rat in a trap.
This is not welcome news. "Dave will feel good that he's caught it, but we feel sad that there's still a rat," Coup sighs.
Eradicating rats and other predators is the goal not just for Miramar but for all New Zealand. The government expects the task to be completed by 2050.
It is a tall order. The largest island to have removed all rats is South Georgia, a 170km (105-mile)-long territory in the South Atlantic. New Zealand conservationists believe the feat can in due course be achieved in an area larger than the UK.

Others point to practical and ethical problems.
At the heart of the project is a unique ecology. New Zealand split from an ancient supercontinent 85m years ago, long before the ascent of mammals. Without land predators, birds could nest on the ground or do without flying

Furthermore, New Zealand was the last major landmass settled by humans. In the 13th Century Polynesians brought mice and Pacific rats. Six centuries later, Europeans introduced larger mammals that feasted on defenceless birds. Almost a third of native species have been wiped out since human settlement.
Efforts to save the others are not new. In the 1960s, conservationists managed to clear rats from small offshore islands. But tackling predators did not become a social phenomenon until about 2010.
"It bubbled up and became a national totem," says James Russell, an Auckland University biologist and champion of the 2050 project.

One factor, Russell says, was the advent of infrared cameras. In the 20th Century the most visible pests, and the targets of major culls, were large herbivores such as deer and goats. But from the 2000s, wildlife enthusiasts were able to show what small mammals were up to at night.
Images of rats pouncing on eggs and chicks were widely shared. "That footage was galvanising," Russell says. An ecologist at the time reckoned that New Zealand was losing 26m birds a year to predators.
In 2011 a celebrity physicist, Sir Paul Callaghan, popularised the dream of a predator-free country. Russell and other young conservationists argued that it could be done, given sufficient investment and mobilisation.
Politicians then got on board. In 2016 a law marked the worst predators for eradication: the three types of rats (Pacific rat, ship rat, Norway rat), mustelids (stoats, weasels, ferrets) and possums. Mid-century was chosen as an inspirational deadline.

Predator Free 2050 Ltd, a public body, was set up to channel government and private money into local projects to test eradication strategies.
The most ambitious of them is Predator Free Wellington. In a city of 200,000 people, it aims to kill off a range of pests, notably rats which thrive in urban environments.
The project's 36-strong team has turned amateur rat-catchers into proper exterminators. It has supplied them with anticoagulant poison, which is much more effective than traps, as well as the GPS app which stores information from every device in real time.
Cameras have been installed in hotspots. "If any rat shows up," says Predator Free Wellington director James Willcox, "my planning team know where they want to put their resources."
Every rat found dead is sent to the lab for an autopsy. This is crucial because anticoagulants, by design, kill slowly. Rats are intelligent social animals and learn to avoid things that obviously harm them.
As a poisoned rat dies away from the bait box, Predator Free Wellington needs the autopsies to monitor effectiveness.
"We cut them up to see if they've been killed by toxins," Willcox explains. "We also need to understand: is it male, is it female, has it reproduced recently? Are we chasing one rat or a family of rats?

Miramar has been at the forefront of the city's offensive against predators. Rats are now a rarity on the peninsula and many native birds have made a comeback. The distinctive call of the tui, whose numbers in Wellington had dwindled to just a few pairs in 1990, is ubiquitous.
"In our back garden we now have tui flying over the whole time," says long-time Miramar resident Paul Hay. "The birdlife has absolutely taken off, especially in the last five years."
The city-wide effort benefits from an earlier conservation concept pioneered in Wellington: predator-proof fencing.
The world's first urban ecosanctuary opened in 1999 a mile from the city centre as the tui flies. Now called Zealandia, it is protected by an 8km fence. Visitors have their bags checked and must pass through a two-door barrier that resembles an airlock.

Behind such rigorous biosecurity measures, birds that were once rare have not just survived but are spreading out to surrounding neighbourhoods.
There are now dozens of fenced sanctuaries around New Zealand. One of the largest, Brook, covers almost 700 hectares, three times the size of Zealandia, in Nelson in the South Island.
A year after a predator-exclusion fence was erected in 2016, the area was cleared of pests. The challenge now is make sure none get in.
Constant vigilance is of the essence. A rat might be accidentally dropped in by a bird of prey; a tree could fall on the fence, allowing a weasel to creep in.
Any damage to the fence will set off its warning system. "If the alarm goes off in the middle of the night one of us will get up there and have a look," says Nick Robson, Brook's operations manager.
Cameras and ink pads alert staff to any incursion. But the ultimate detection tool, and the predator's worst enemy, is man's best friend. "Dogs are specially trained to detect certain pests and ignore others," says Robson. "It can be that a dog can detect a rat whereas our devices haven't."

Preventing reinvasion is a concern particularly for offshore islands. Rakiura, or Stewart Island, is the largest of these. Separated from the mainland by 25km of water, it has rats but has always been mustelid-free. This relative isolation has allowed rare birds to nest there and conservationists are working hard to preserve it.
Gadget the detector dog is a celebrity with her own Facebook page: you can follow her as she checks incoming boats for rodent stowaways.
For the past 20 years the Stewart Island/Rakiura Community & Environmental Trust (Sircet), a volunteer group, has stopped rats and other pests from destroying a colony of muttonbirds, a ground-nesting species that has all but disappeared from the mainland.
"We're holding the line," says Shona Sangster, Sircet's chairperson, as she inspects traps in the bush.
Strong defences are vital for small nearby islands that are already predator free. Rats can swim for half a mile (800m): keeping them away from those sanctuaries and the endangered birds they shelter is a constant struggle.
Government money has helped. Predator Free Rakiura, a project set up under the 2050 scheme, has provided expertise, paid staff and nifty tools such as self-reloading traps. These crush the skull of any approaching rat and require minimal maintenance: victims drop to the ground and nature does the tidying up.

Predator Free Rakiura has nowhere near the budget of its Wellington counterpart. But local conservationists enjoy a level of popular support other parts of the country can only dream of. In 2020-21, Sircet says, 261 people gave time to the cause, a huge mobilisation rate on an island of 440 residents.
Last year the group distributed traps to schoolchildren and gave out prizes for the most rats caught, the biggest rat, the one with the biggest teeth and the furriest coat.
Youngsters are raised in a community where predator control matters hugely, Sangster says. "What is slightly unusual from an outside perspective is part of their day-to-day life."
Sircet also promotes responsible pet ownership on the island. Cats - bird killers that are safe from eradication because of their appeal to humans - have to be neutered and microchipped.
Dogs, which tend to mistake kiwi for fluffy toys, can be dangerous too. Under a Sircet training programme that is voluntary (for owners, that is) an electronic kiwi delivers a mild shock to pooches that get too friendly, teaching them to give the birds a wide berth.
Holding the line is an achievement. But what are the chances of Rakiura, an area the size of Greater London, becoming completely predator-free within 27 years? Sangster is cautious on this question. "Shoot for the stars: you might land on the Moon," she says.

The feasibility of the whole 2050 project has been a matter of debate among conservationists. James Lynch, the founder of Zealandia, has reservations on grounds of practicality and cost-effectiveness.
He supports the ultimate aim of removing predators. "The problem," Lynch says, "is that we have no toolbox for this at the moment."
Most native birds, he notes, do not need a zero-predator environment to thrive. The few that do, he argues, can survive on offshore or urban sanctuaries. Rather than try to clear the whole country of pests, Lynch recommends focusing resources on woodland around fenced areas to maximise the survival of birds coming out

That concept, he says, has worked in Wellington and represents the best hope nationwide while tools for complete eradication are being developed.
Others regard the very idea of a predator-free New Zealand as fanciful. Conservation researcher Wayne Linklater points out that over the past 150 years, New Zealand has lost every war it has waged on rabbits, deer and other pests.
Campaigns to exterminate intelligent, sentient beings are not just unworkable but ethically misguided, Linklater adds. "We marshalled enormous resources and people's passion and we implemented great cruelty. How could we be so blithe with suffering?"
The drive to purge society of nefarious forces, the mass mobilisation and slogans remind Linklater of evangelical zeal. The predator-free movement, he says, "depends on demonising a species and making an enemy of that species so that you can kill it".
Besides, who is Homo sapiens, that most invasive of mammalian predators and systematic destroyer of habitat, to declare total war on creatures it brought with it?
Instead of setting impossible national targets, Linklater recommends allowing communities to determine their own biodiversity goals. Auckland residents could live with a few rats and possums, while Stewart Islanders might prioritise protecting their kiwis and muttonbirds.

For biologist James Russell, who did much to give scientific backing to the 2050 project, localised strategies are pointless. "It's the unambitious, business-as-usual model," he shrugs.
Saving birds in a few places, he goes on, is a false economy: it requires perpetual investment to stop predators returning. Eradication is expensive but "you pay it once, and then it's done."
Russell concedes that no-one knows how to finish the job yet. Pest-control technology, however, has made huge strides since the 1960s: who knows what continued investment can achieve over the next 27 years?
As for moral objections, there are no hard and fast answers. It is up to individuals and societies to weigh complex arguments. New Zealanders, Russell says, have collectively decided that sacrificing some species to save others is the right thing to do.
It is true that, right now, opposition to eradication is subdued and enthusiasm prominent.
Back on the Miramar peninsula, Dan Coup looks forward to the day when he and his fellow rat-catchers are finally redundant.
"You've got a choice to either keep working for ever, or you invest a huge amount up front to get the last half-a-percent of the rats and then you don't have to work again," he says.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: June 28, 2023, 04:46:13 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-65039451

Mammals are some of the worst invasive species in the world, particularly rats.  We introduce them to islands and then they eat all the birds and other wildlife.  It's a very old and familiar story.

Back in the UK, rats love decking!  So, if you have decking in your garden, or your neighbours do, then you are providing a perfect nesting place for them.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #140 on: June 28, 2023, 04:53:36 pm »

Back in the UK, rats love decking!

So if you see one, punch it.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: June 28, 2023, 04:56:58 pm »

Gotta catch it first  ;)

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #142 on: June 28, 2023, 06:15:31 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9m64UgTJ1DM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9m64UgTJ1DM</a>

My childhood hero….

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #143 on: June 28, 2023, 08:24:50 pm »
You have to get one in quick first with the sly c*nts as they are likely to steal one on you if you're not careful.