Author Topic: The Teachers' Thread  (Read 181028 times)

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
Re: The Teachers' Thread
« Reply #320 on: May 31, 2011, 11:38:12 am »
That's as long as you don't start 'teaching'. Think I messed up actually, think you must start your NQT year within that 16  months of supply, not finish it

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #321 on: May 31, 2011, 11:39:36 am »

Offline gemkopqueen

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll never walk alone.
« Reply #322 on: May 31, 2011, 12:48:24 pm »
Never knew that. Thanks! I knew you had to complete your NQT within five years of becoming an NQT.

That's only once you've started it. You have an unlimited amount of time to start your NQT period (obviously longer you leave it lower your chanches unless you have a relevant job in the mean time). If you do one term of NQT year and lose contract (or in my friend's case get pregnant) you have to complete it within five years. So generally once started within 5 years, if not started the clock isn't ticking yet.

That's as long as you don't start 'teaching'. Think I messed up actually, think you must start your NQT year within that 16  months of supply, not finish it

That's the jist of it. You get 16 months of day by day supply (which has dried up now drastically, I know one secondary teacher who has had not supply for over a year) after which point you have to have an inductable placement to complete your NQT year or you can't work in school's until you do.  You can apply for extensions  (I got one for 12 months but then got TA job so was pointless really) but after that you're screwed.

Problem is the government advertise a need for teachers, those that have lost accountant jobs etc decide traching might be for them and all the while schools are closing, creating more out of work teachers and less jobs.  The best area for getting jobs is in the back end of nowhere where they are practically giving them away.
Gemzy Wemzy

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #323 on: May 31, 2011, 02:05:12 pm »
Thanks for that Gem!
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline NatD

• Takes offence at authors and people who eat in restaurants.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #324 on: May 31, 2011, 02:21:46 pm »
Rakey - get yourself abroad mate.

We are in Qatar, I'm not a Teacher, but my cousin and his wife are.  They are earning about 5k a month tax free, and getting the accommodation paid (which is worth another 2k!).  Plus if you have any kids, then they will get free schooling too!

As an NQT you might not get as much, but it will increase quickly and give you great experience!!!!
"...waking up at 12 in my clothes again, feel my head explode from a night of Gin..."

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #325 on: May 31, 2011, 04:29:13 pm »
It's the tda adverts claiming how teachers are needed that do my head in, getting loads of people training then huge percentages of them finish with no job

Offline gemkopqueen

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: May 31, 2011, 04:45:13 pm »
It's the tda adverts claiming how teachers are needed that do my head in, getting loads of people training then huge percentages of them finish with no job

Exactly my point. There are loads of unemployed teachers out there, school closing and those adverts just add more fuel to the fire.  Something like 60% of NQT's didn't get a job last year and that is bound to increase this year.
Gemzy Wemzy

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #327 on: May 31, 2011, 05:12:46 pm »
Train to teach secondary maths science or languages and move to the south east.

If you have a pulse you will get a job.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #328 on: May 31, 2011, 05:24:15 pm »
I thought it was already more than 60% of NQT's without a job. I guess being able to relocate helps. Our trainee (secondary languages) got a job at her very second interview, but it's in Wigan. Not TOO far away I guess but still further than I'd like to travel :(

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #329 on: May 31, 2011, 06:08:58 pm »
Train to teach secondary maths science or languages and move to the south east.

If you have a pulse you will get a job.

Bit unfair, my sister was recommended for her current post by a school that turned her down (for the simple reason that the other candidate had more experience) and my brother's head of a language department at the age of 30 and neither of them got their jobs by "having a pulse".

(Although my sister started in the south east. ;))
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone
YNWA Rafa.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #330 on: May 31, 2011, 06:18:05 pm »
Bit unfair, my sister was recommended for her current post by a school that turned her down (for the simple reason that the other candidate had more experience) and my brother's head of a language department at the age of 30 and neither of them got their jobs by "having a pulse".

(Although my sister started in the south east. ;))
The pulse bit was a joke of course (unless you teach physics).

But head to the south east if you want a job
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline rakey_lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #331 on: May 31, 2011, 07:56:17 pm »
Rakey - get yourself abroad mate.

We are in Qatar, I'm not a Teacher, but my cousin and his wife are.  They are earning about 5k a month tax free, and getting the accommodation paid (which is worth another 2k!).  Plus if you have any kids, then they will get free schooling too!

As an NQT you might not get as much, but it will increase quickly and give you great experience!!!!

I've literally just got a house/mortgage 3months ago, due to some other issues of being kicked out of our rented one.

Also, I've got my numeracy qts test tomorrow. I failed it first time. Not done any real maths since 2003? Any useful websites that may refresh some memories for me? Obviously know of the tda. Its the mental arithimetic side I really need to nail.
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #332 on: May 31, 2011, 08:09:32 pm »
I failed the numeracy twice, never was good at maths :(

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #333 on: May 31, 2011, 08:10:27 pm »
There are less jobs around but it also seems that there are less people being trained. I qualified as a History teacher 6 years ago and my PGCE course had about 32 on it. The same course now has around 14 on it. Plus, the other uni in the area has got rid of the History PGCE course completely.

That's not scientific evidence, but it does suggest that, in History at least, someone is getting the message that training people to be History teachers is becoming less necessary.

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #334 on: May 31, 2011, 08:19:03 pm »
Maybe, but lots of previous PGCE students who didn't get a job early on will have dropped out of the profession.
My course 5 years ago had about 20 on it (secondary MFL) and our current trainee thinks there's about the same on her course this year

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #335 on: May 31, 2011, 09:51:33 pm »
Maybe, but lots of previous PGCE students who didn't get a job early on will have dropped out of the profession.

Not to mention those who didn't complete the course. We had 30 to begin with, which is big for Primary apparently, before 1st placement was over 4 had quit. Another quit in the weeks between first and 2nd placement, another early into 2nd placement, another a few weeks later, then I failed my final placement twice before quitting altogether. So out of 30, 22 finished. Out of those 22, I'd say very few haven't completed their NQT year.
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone
YNWA Rafa.

Offline rakey_lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: May 31, 2011, 10:15:28 pm »
This year our PGCE PE course started with 23, now 21, 6 have jobs.

Next year the PGCE PE course can only accept 15students.

Overal this year there are 120 pupils on the PGCE course. Don't know how many have dropped out overall.
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #337 on: May 31, 2011, 10:18:24 pm »
Thing about here (Liverpool) is we have three unis (Hope, John Moores and Edge Hill) all churning out teachers so most subjects still have about 50 people each year finishing the PGCE in the area. No wonder so many are without jobs to go to. I wonder how many other places have similar scenarios?

Offline rakey_lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: May 31, 2011, 10:25:28 pm »
In East Anglia we have UEA with around 120 students per year all subjects. Not sure how many do SKITT or GTP's. Bedford uni offers the BED 4 year degree.
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #339 on: May 31, 2011, 10:28:13 pm »
I'd forgotten all about the other avenues like GTP etc!!
Fucking madness, good to see numbers are being cut in trainees. Hopefully you get something sorted for next year mate

Offline gemkopqueen

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #340 on: June 1, 2011, 02:19:26 pm »
Thing about here (Liverpool) is we have three unis (Hope, John Moores and Edge Hill) all churning out teachers so most subjects still have about 50 people each year finishing the PGCE in the area. No wonder so many are without jobs to go to. I wonder how many other places have similar scenarios?

Not forgetting that in the general vacinity we also have Chester and MMU pushing more teachers into this area.
Gemzy Wemzy

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #341 on: June 1, 2011, 03:34:01 pm »
Very true, someone I used to work with trained at MMU

Offline bez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill!!!!!!!
« Reply #342 on: June 1, 2011, 04:35:14 pm »
This year has been mental for job opportunities for me. Slt jobs, just nobody is moving as people need the security now rather than career gambles.

Been trying to get out of my place for two years. Had about 10 interviews but always the same bollocks. Need more experience. I reckon its all about age rather than substance.

I went for one at rainhill back end of last year and there was 70 applicants for 1 assistant head post! O well i got short listed and interviewed i suppose.

I have just got sorted about 3 weeks ago with a deputy head post in stockport so alls well but its been tough
Oh W**ky W**ky, W**ky W**ky W**ky W**ky Warrington.

Betfair referal code 6TXMVXF6J. £25 free

Offline bez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: June 1, 2011, 04:40:21 pm »
Ps. Academys are the problem. Around manchester there staff are flooding the market as everybody seems to want out of them due to the unrealistic demands being placed on staff.

Pps. My mates just set up a supply teacher company in east manchester. Hes looking for teachers around the manchester area
« Last Edit: June 1, 2011, 04:53:02 pm by bez »

Offline Oscarmac

• Kenny is King
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: June 1, 2011, 05:23:31 pm »
2 days left till summer holidays.
They are only great because we are on our knees......let us arise!

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #345 on: June 1, 2011, 05:29:09 pm »
Fucking hell Bez, deputy head, nice one!!
Now you can sit off in your office and not have to go anywhere near any kids ;)

Offline bez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: June 1, 2011, 06:07:12 pm »
Fucking hell Bez, deputy head, nice one!!
Now you can sit off in your office and not have to go anywhere near any kids ;)

I did that before! Thats the beauty of SEN. Its a EBD school like, its gonna be mad days

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #347 on: June 1, 2011, 06:13:36 pm »
I bet!! Not sure I could cope with an EBD school. We have a few challenging pupils but even they aren't SO 'bad' and aren't anything other than a minority

Offline bez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: June 6, 2011, 09:48:13 pm »
Anyone marking exams this summer? I'm doing maths

Offline caspertheghost

• Legacy Fan
  • When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you
« Reply #349 on: June 6, 2011, 09:52:11 pm »
nobody complaining about their brown leather elbow patches ?
What kind of work gets you the nickname Casper the ghost?

Offline the good half

• these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this half of mine
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: June 6, 2011, 10:01:54 pm »
Anyone marking exams this summer? I'm doing maths

English

Listen...Anybody been to an iday?

Offline rakey_lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: June 6, 2011, 10:05:36 pm »
Lots of schools turning into Academies local to me to. I know of at least 3 or 4?
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #352 on: June 6, 2011, 10:13:52 pm »
We're currently looking at academy status although as unions we are trying to fight it

Offline rakey_lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: June 6, 2011, 10:16:49 pm »
I've got to start thinking of a union to join and stick with, think it'll depend where I get a job and what union other members of staff are with.
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #354 on: June 6, 2011, 10:21:38 pm »
NUT is the one. I'm in it and seems to be the most 'popular' among our staff. Any luck on the job front at all?

Offline rakey_lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: June 6, 2011, 10:25:33 pm »
I'm visiting a school thursday to which I'm applying for. It's PE with part KS3 maths. Not got any maths teaching experience so don't think i'll get it (even if i get interview). The school has an outstanding reputation in a nice town.

I've revised my personal statement against one of the people on my course who got a job. His was much better then mine so I'm feeling bit more confident now.

Other then that position its still very quiet on the jobs front. Hoping now the 31st deadline has gone then it may pick up a little.
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #356 on: June 6, 2011, 10:29:02 pm »
Good stuff, fingers crossed something comes your way before summer. By the end of my PGCE I was just so tired that I wasn't too bothered about not having a job but the supply I had to do after it was far from ideal

Offline rakey_lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #357 on: June 6, 2011, 10:32:47 pm »
I got a wife to support and a mortgage, so I need a job. However, I do feel knackered. Being in university on courses last week instead of having a half term was a killer to. I know after a week of doing very little I'll be bored.

Parents going on holiday to Hungary end of the month and we've been invited. I want to go but if i've not got a job by then, then I dont really want to leave the country for a week just in case.
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Perkins

• Legacy Fan
  • Prepare to be Skrtelised
« Reply #358 on: June 6, 2011, 10:36:22 pm »
How do you get into teaching?  Ignore my pisstakes earlier on, I apologise.  All my mates who never did teaching at university just dropped on with some work at an old school they went to, what other routes are there?
To avoid murdering each other, you'll have to keep yourselves anaesthetised with DVD boxsets and the occasional holiday. Life partner? Joy thief, more like

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #359 on: June 6, 2011, 11:36:06 pm »
Pgce, which is a post grad course after doing a degree is seemingly what most do. Can also do training as part of a degree course I believe. Then there's stuff like GTP and SCITT which are like on the job training which I don't know too much about