Author Topic: Bob Dylan  (Read 63213 times)

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Bob Dylan
« Reply #440 on: October 15, 2016, 10:48:48 pm »
I just heard someone on the radio compare Bruce Springsteen to Raymond Carver. It's spreading.

It's perfectly possible for people to compare different forms of media.

However I dont think that particular example is apt.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #441 on: October 15, 2016, 11:00:51 pm »
A lot of Dylan on the radio at the moment, naturally. A man of few chords.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #442 on: October 15, 2016, 11:24:00 pm »
I just heard someone on the radio compare Bruce Springsteen to Raymond Carver. It's spreading.
Good grief. They'll be making Noel Gallagher Poet Laureate next.

Offline newrosswaterford

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #443 on: October 16, 2016, 12:18:37 pm »
In what manner Corkboy? What was the comparison? Even if the radio show was comparing them in literature one silly claim means fuck all.

Still moving the goalpost away from the point is a great trump move. In what way does it matter to the debate about Dylan's lyrics winning a nobel prize?

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #444 on: October 17, 2016, 10:54:53 am »
A "trump move"? You're taking this a little personally. Maybe step away from the keyboard for a while.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #445 on: October 17, 2016, 12:11:59 pm »
A "trump move"? You're taking this a little personally. Maybe step away from the keyboard for a while.

Step away from my window, leave at your own chosen speed?
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #446 on: October 18, 2016, 12:25:12 pm »
Turns out Bob agrees with some of you, he's after giving the archers to the Noble panel. 

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #447 on: October 18, 2016, 02:34:03 pm »
Turns out Bob agrees with some of you, he's after giving the archers to the Noble panel. 

Pfft. Another trump move.

Offline CaptainBeefheart

• Vliet of foot - in fact he is fast and bulbous
  • Anny Roader
  • S.O.S.
« Reply #448 on: January 29, 2017, 12:04:23 am »
Boss.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/BwV36JL_G0s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/BwV36JL_G0s</a>

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #449 on: April 29, 2017, 12:34:15 pm »
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #450 on: May 2, 2017, 04:10:29 pm »
Seeing him in Nottingham on Friday night. Bit apprehensive as I've heard so many mixed reports of what he's like live (never seen him before) but it's a bit of a bucket list thing. Good review there though.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #451 on: May 2, 2017, 08:39:08 pm »
Seeing him in Nottingham on Friday night. Bit apprehensive as I've heard so many mixed reports of what he's like live (never seen him before) but it's a bit of a bucket list thing. Good review there though.

He was amazing.

Hope you enjoy it.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #452 on: May 3, 2017, 11:57:09 am »

Don't go along expecting to hear songs that sound like they do on the records - throughout his career Dylan has always changed things around live. He's got a great band behind him and, at the end of the day, IT'S BOB DYLAN!!! I saw him last time he was in Liverpool and he was great. Almost every show Dylan does is recorded and can be found on the likes of Dimeadozen, so you could always look out for a show from earlier in the tour before you go.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #453 on: June 11, 2017, 09:24:33 pm »
I've been listening to Live at the Newport Folk Festival 1965 this week.

Famous for the debut of his electric material in a live setting.

The electric set features Mike Bloomfield and Al Kooper, who played on Highway 61 Revisited, plus a rhythm section from the Butterfield Blues Band and the excellent Barry Goldberg on piano. It's not the finest version of many of the songs, probably a bit under-rehearsed, but I thought it sounded fairly well received by the crowd, of course now all you hear about is the controversy it caused but they did OK by my ears.

However, for me it's the acoustic encore that has proved most captivating. Both 'It's All Over Now, Baby Blue' and 'Mr. Tambourine Man' are for me the best versions he ever did. He asks the crowd for an E harmonica and takes one from the audience and just blasts into it. It's just fabulous. The songs are new, not the road-worn versions of the 1966 tour, and he's in excellent voice. It's like he has a point to prove, saying 'Well I'm the fucking best at these acoustic folk song things, but see you later, I've got more to do...'

I still can't work out just why his harmonica playing is so captivating - the abrasiveness just send me into a trance.

Once I had a broken speaker on my record player and was listening to Highway 61 Revisited on a stereo LP, with one speaker out I was pretty much just getting harmonica on one side, it was great. He's obviously not like the great blues players, or even anywhere near as melodic as fellow folkies like John Sebastian (who played dynamite harp on the Fred Neil records) or Neil Young (very melodic, strange but nowhere near as harsh as Bob) - but it's just really engrossing for me.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 09:28:24 pm by SamAteTheRedAcid »

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #454 on: October 1, 2017, 03:07:33 pm »
Saw 'Girl from the North Country' at the Old Vic yesterday. It's a play (not a musical) by Conor McPherson, set during Depression-era Minnesota, starring Ciaran Hinds and Shirley Henderson and a host more, and uses 20-odd Dylan songs. It's phenomenal.

For a taste - here's Sheila Atim singing Tight Connection to My Heart like you've never heard it before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0grZUoUhn_k
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #455 on: October 1, 2017, 10:04:53 pm »
I've been listening to Live at the Newport Folk Festival 1965 this week.

Famous for the debut of his electric material in a live setting.

The electric set features Mike Bloomfield and Al Kooper, who played on Highway 61 Revisited, plus a rhythm section from the Butterfield Blues Band and the excellent Barry Goldberg on piano. It's not the finest version of many of the songs, probably a bit under-rehearsed, but I thought it sounded fairly well received by the crowd, of course now all you hear about is the controversy it caused but they did OK by my ears.

However, for me it's the acoustic encore that has proved most captivating. Both 'It's All Over Now, Baby Blue' and 'Mr. Tambourine Man' are for me the best versions he ever did. He asks the crowd for an E harmonica and takes one from the audience and just blasts into it. It's just fabulous. The songs are new, not the road-worn versions of the 1966 tour, and he's in excellent voice. It's like he has a point to prove, saying 'Well I'm the fucking best at these acoustic folk song things, but see you later, I've got more to do...'

I still can't work out just why his harmonica playing is so captivating - the abrasiveness just send me into a trance.

Once I had a broken speaker on my record player and was listening to Highway 61 Revisited on a stereo LP, with one speaker out I was pretty much just getting harmonica on one side, it was great. He's obviously not like the great blues players, or even anywhere near as melodic as fellow folkies like John Sebastian (who played dynamite harp on the Fred Neil records) or Neil Young (very melodic, strange but nowhere near as harsh as Bob) - but it's just really engrossing for me.

Can I ask where you got those tracks from? There's been one or two come out on the Bootleg Series but I've not seen an official release for all of them. I know they're on the 'Other Side of the Mirror' documentary (worth a watch if you haven't seen it) but not seen them anywhere else.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #456 on: October 1, 2017, 10:49:18 pm »
Saw 'Girl from the North Country' at the Old Vic yesterday. It's a play (not a musical) by Conor McPherson, set during Depression-era Minnesota, starring Ciaran Hinds and Shirley Henderson and a host more, and uses 20-odd Dylan songs. It's phenomenal.

For a taste - here's Sheila Atim singing Tight Connection to My Heart like you've never heard it before.

I'm going to see that on Saturday (final day of the run). Can't wait. Trying to avoid the soundtrack until I've seen the play.

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #457 on: October 1, 2017, 11:50:44 pm »
I'm going to see that on Saturday (final day of the run). Can't wait. Trying to avoid the soundtrack until I've seen the play.

I did too. It's the best way. So brilliant was the first half that I was sorely tempted to consult the programme and see what was coming up. Glad I didn't. 

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #458 on: October 2, 2017, 09:42:44 am »
Can I ask where you got those tracks from? There's been one or two come out on the Bootleg Series but I've not seen an official release for all of them. I know they're on the 'Other Side of the Mirror' documentary (worth a watch if you haven't seen it) but not seen them anywhere else.

I can't remember now you've asked! I think it was on a soundcloud stream someone made, I'll check my internet history when I get in later mate.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #459 on: October 2, 2017, 04:16:00 pm »

Possibly a stupid question, but whats the difference between a play in which the characters sing 20-odd songs and a musical?

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #460 on: October 2, 2017, 04:28:14 pm »
Possibly a stupid question, but whats the difference between a play in which the characters sing 20-odd songs and a musical?

Musicals are where the music forms an integral part of the storyline.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #461 on: October 2, 2017, 06:36:42 pm »

Not an official release, it seems from my browser history, but from here:

http://www.daysofthecrazy-wild.com/videoaudio-bob-dylans-full-1965-newport-set-phantom-engineer-like-rolling-stone/

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #462 on: October 2, 2017, 09:41:01 pm »

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #463 on: October 8, 2017, 10:35:43 pm »
Was blown away by Girl From The North Country. Shirley Henderson was absolutely immense - for such a small woman, she's got an absolutely belting voice on her. Genuinely got goosebumps when she tore into Like A Rolling Stone. And some great versions of I Want You, Tight Connection and Hurricane. I was sat right at the back next to the sound booth, and it was great seeing how much the sound engineer got into it!

Transferring to the West End at the end of December for a 3 month run, and I'm seriously tempted to take a trip down to London to see it again. It's that's good.

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #464 on: October 9, 2017, 03:14:52 pm »
Was blown away by Girl From The North Country. Shirley Henderson was absolutely immense - for such a small woman, she's got an absolutely belting voice on her. Genuinely got goosebumps when she tore into Like A Rolling Stone. And some great versions of I Want You, Tight Connection and Hurricane. I was sat right at the back next to the sound booth, and it was great seeing how much the sound engineer got into it!

Transferring to the West End at the end of December for a 3 month run, and I'm seriously tempted to take a trip down to London to see it again. It's that's good.

You clearly enjoyed it as much as I did. I echo what you say about Shirley Henderson's voice. Who knew? (Although she did sing, and sing pretty well, in Mike Leigh's amazing film 'Topsy Turvy').

I agree with you about the songs. 'I Want You' is the best I think, but I tip my hat to McPherson's general selections which were unexpected and on the whole brilliant. Duquesne Whistle! Slow Train! Sign on the Window!  Not obvious choices when the whole catalogue is open to you, but wonderful ones nonetheless.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #465 on: November 6, 2017, 08:45:09 pm »
The new bootleg set is AMAZING

Offline 19th Nervous Title

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #466 on: June 19, 2019, 04:38:58 pm »
Scorsese's Rolling Thunder Revue on Netflix. Ginsberg, Patti Smith, Joan Baez and lots more. USA 1975. Dylan drives the tour bus. Mid 70's Desire period at the peak of his career.
Emily Hobhouse. Britain's finest.

Offline spider

• Main Stander
« Reply #467 on: June 24, 2019, 01:57:36 pm »
Scorsese's Rolling Thunder Revue on Netflix. Ginsberg, Patti Smith, Joan Baez and lots more. USA 1975. Dylan drives the tour bus. Mid 70's Desire period at the peak of his career.

And Sharon Stone!

Great stuff- the performance footage is some of the best I've seen.

Offline 19th Nervous Title

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #468 on: June 25, 2019, 06:01:14 pm »
Agree. The live footage is great. Intimate and quite spontaneous. Scorsese makes a better fist of this than Shine a Light.
Emily Hobhouse. Britain's finest.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #469 on: May 24, 2021, 09:44:22 am »
Happy 80th Bob. May you stay Forever Young.

Rough and Rowdy Ways is fantastic, by the way. To release that in his 7th decade of recording music is phenomenal.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #470 on: May 24, 2021, 09:50:53 am »
"I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now".

I know his music like the back of my hand. Have been listening to it forever. Sometimes I wish I could stop, but it's impossible. Ask 100 people what their favourite Dylan song is and you'll get 100 different answers. Jeez, I have a 100 different answers.

Happy 80th Bob.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #471 on: May 24, 2021, 02:29:07 pm »
I'll second that emotion. Loads of hours spent listening to him and watching him, none wasted.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Online Speedy Molby

• Not as fat as his name suggests but is still a bad formby wool :)
  • Campaigns
  • Kopite
  • Satire? In Wigan?
I am alone now. I am beyond recrimination. The curtains have shut, the furniture has gone. I am transforming. I am vibrating. I am glowing. I am flying. Look at me now.

Offline princeoftherocks

• Legacy Fan
  • black sheep scouse
« Reply #473 on: May 25, 2021, 09:42:52 pm »
Dylan is the spirit of the sixties.  For me, the documentary of his time in the uk was the best thing i ever saw about him.  favourite song: one of us must know.
dios esta buena

Offline zimmie'5555

• passenger on an intergalactic spaceship... sometimes wishes he was a woman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #474 on: May 27, 2021, 04:42:48 pm »
Favourite song? As Yorky said, everyone will give you a different answer, and it's probably different from what they'd give you tomorrow even. I don't think I'd even be able to properly pin down a favourite album.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #475 on: March 12, 2022, 12:00:02 am »
Managed to catch 'Girl From The North Country' last night in Sydney. Great story line by Conor McPherson backed by 19 Dylan tunes including a fantastic rendition of 'Tight Connection to My Heart'.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.