Author Topic: Brandon Sanderson  (Read 1251 times)

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Brandon Sanderson
« on: September 2, 2017, 01:18:04 pm »
About four/four and a half years ago, I had just finished reading The Kingkiller Chronicles and A song of Ice and Fire. The books that have actually been released till now, I mean. I was just waiting for more books to devour when a website recommended The Mistborn Trilogy by Sanderson.

I was hooked from the start. His character development and world building are unique. The magic system in the world was complex, but I had most of the basic understanding down by the first half of the book due to his way of explaining the said magic systems. In contrast, I still get confused about the magic system in 'The Lightbringer series'. By the time I finished the trilogy, I was a big fan. So I decided to read some more of his books.

I read his older works first. They were very good. But then as I moved on to some of his recent works, I have realised he is becoming better and better. His 'Stormlight Archive', just two books out of ten in, has already become my favourite fantasy series. I realised as I was reading book 1 of 'The SA', that one character kept repeating in many of his books. That's when I did my research and found out something incredible. Most of Sanderson's books are based in the Cosmere world. One Huge World - consisting of 16 Shards, that have different magic systems, cultures, religion. Imagine the story, that is going to connect so many different books series.
That is ambitious. But as many would agree, such ambition will only come into existence with a certain belief in one's self. Trust me, If you read his books you'll see he is capable of doing it.

Many people who are fans of Tolkien and G.R.R Martin will have a problem adjusting to the less serious tone of his writing, but I know that many of you will find him very interesting to read. Hope you give him a try.

If you do decide to start, I would recommend starting with The Mistborn trilogy, and then you can go on to read his other books.

I have seen that there is a thread on books, but Sanderson is a mastermind. The world he has built and the sheer number of books connecting that world is something to behold. I think Sanderson deserves his own thread and hope the mods keep it going.  ;D

P.S: I am not very good at introducing or compelling people to read his books, so if there are any Sanderson Fans with more artistically creative writing who can introduce Sanderson better, feel free to add. :wave
« Last Edit: March 9, 2022, 12:28:16 pm by Lallanaisgonenow. Bobby next. »
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The amazing 'Cosmere' world of Brandon Sanderson
« Reply #1 on: September 2, 2017, 10:45:08 pm »
I love the way his site has progress bars for what he's writing. Very strong work ethic which is a nice change from you know who.  ;D

Anyway, this thread just made me check his site and the third Stormlight book is done and out November 16th. Can't wait. 8)

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #2 on: September 2, 2017, 11:00:17 pm »
Enjoyed the Mistborn series but wasn't blown away. I'll definitely try Stormlight based on the recommendation though!

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: September 2, 2017, 11:09:40 pm »
I love the way his site has progress bars for what he's writing. Very strong work ethic which is a nice change from you know who.  ;D

Anyway, this thread just made me check his site and the third Stormlight book is done and out November 16th. Can't wait. 8)
The speed with which he writes his books is incredible, and all of them are quality. He has at-least two books out every year. The You know whos can learn something from him. ;)

By the way, tor has the prologue and the first three chapters of Oathbringer out. It seems they are going to release 3 chapters weekly till the official release.
Heres the link if you are interested:
https://www.tor.com/series/oathbringer/
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: September 2, 2017, 11:52:18 pm »
Never read his stuff, got turned off because he finished that Wheel of Time thing that I read one book of and got bored stiff. I have heard a few good things about Sanderson's stuff though, so maybe I'll give him a shot.

I've tried quite a few fantasy series since GOT came out (couldn't wait for the second series so read the books and really enjoyed them, mostly), and I've read a few crackers - Martin obviously, Abercrombie, Hobb, Erikson spring to mind - but there's been as many where I've read the first hundred pages and just couldn't get into it. I'll take y'all's word for Sanderson though.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #5 on: September 3, 2017, 10:37:17 am »
I tried, I did...it didn't connect with me...and I love Fantasy.

Maybe the fact I was rereading two other trilogies, Brent Weeks Durzo Blint/The Night Angel trilogy and Paul Hoffman's The Left Hand of God trilogy, at the time didn't help, but, no, not for me.

Both of which I highly recommend.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: September 3, 2017, 01:22:33 pm »
I thought he did an admirable job completing the Wheel of Time series. Have never read any of his own stories but have been recommended them before too.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Hendollama

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 08:16:27 am »
Oathbringer - Book 3 in the Stormlight Archive has been released today.

Can't wait till its delivered. Probably going to read it in a day or two. And then take it slow on the re-read.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 06:53:14 pm »
I thought he did an admirable job completing the Wheel of Time series. Have never read any of his own stories but have been recommended them before too.
I absolutely loved Wheel of Time and agree he did a good job wrapping it all up.

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 09:28:00 pm »
Absolutely love the Mistborn series, also enjoyed the Reckoners books and Elantris (have read a couple of others but the names escape me).

Haven't yet read the Stormlight books but when I finish the rest of my unread books I'll buy them, hopefully before the Christmas holidays.

Offline Hendollama

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Brandon Sanderson
« Reply #10 on: March 9, 2022, 12:30:56 pm »
The madman wrote 5 books in secret during the Pandemic, on top of his regular 2-3 books per year.

In just 9 days, Sanderson's Kickstarter has already become the largest Kickstarter of all time.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dragonsteel/surprise-four-secret-novels-by-brandon-sanderson/posts