Author Topic: David Bowie  (Read 37676 times)

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Factor Winner 2012 - it's a rap, folks!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: David Bowie
« Reply #200 on: January 8, 2013, 09:00:31 pm »
Happy Birthday to the man!

Offline Armchair expert

• Almost makes you agree with Gove
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meet the new boss.....same as the old boss
« Reply #201 on: January 8, 2013, 09:54:23 pm »
Hope people like it because its good and not for nostalgia reasons and because its Bowie as let's be honest he hasn't made a decent album for about 30 years.
And the less said about Tin Machine the better.

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #202 on: January 9, 2013, 02:44:25 am »
Will try to avoid hearing the single until the album's release here in March. I want to sit down, put on my Sennheiser earphones and listen to the entire thing from start to finish.

It's going to be a long 2 months.
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #203 on: January 9, 2013, 04:12:57 pm »
A very nice - and very prescient - music & video mix from Soulwax.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #204 on: January 9, 2013, 04:50:56 pm »
Hope people like it because its good and not for nostalgia reasons and because its Bowie as let's be honest he hasn't made a decent album for about 30 years.

I dunno, Outside was decent and I enjoyed Heathen aswell. 'Slow Burn' and 'Everyone Says Hi' are great tracks imo.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: January 9, 2013, 05:46:00 pm »
I love it. Real ear worm.

Offline Drake31

• Legacy Fan
  • all hail king kenny
« Reply #206 on: January 9, 2013, 07:13:22 pm »
fantastic looking forward to the album, hope it does real well and he decides to tour again :)
"IF YOU CAN'T SUPPORT US WHEN WE LOSE OR DRAW, DON'T SUPPORT US WHEN WE WIN!" Heed this advice or get the fuck off our forum.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: January 10, 2013, 11:37:01 pm »
Hmm, not sure if he'll tour but I think the album will need pre-ordering. Looking forward to it.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: January 11, 2013, 09:17:22 am »
I'd rather he didn't tour again as much as I'd love to see him in the flesh playing live but at 66 and with a previous heart problem it's hardly
the most sensible thing he could do.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline peelyon

• strangefruit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #209 on: January 11, 2013, 01:18:10 pm »
Really love his new song.  Im (fairly) young and my first bit of Bowie was all the stuff from Labyrinth (watched it over and over as a kid).  Dunno why though but I'm almost listening to this new one on repeat!

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #210 on: January 11, 2013, 02:58:35 pm »
Really love his new song.  Im (fairly) young and my first bit of Bowie was all the stuff from Labyrinth (watched it over and over as a kid).  Dunno why though but I'm almost listening to this new one on repeat!
Mate, I've been feeling all wistful for days now, ever since this new song of his soaked into my brain.

In amongst the meditating I've been doing on people I don't see anymore, places I miss, specific emotions that I intangibly 'recall' having felt at various times... I've just been giving some thought too to how much of an influence this Brixtonian (via Mars) gentleman has had on the shaping of my life and my person through music, film, art... you name it. And I didn't even exist during the entirety of the 1970s, his most fertile period!!  :P

- Every Christmas since I was very young indeed, Bowie, rocking an utterly awesome festive jumper, introduces the timeless magic of The Snowman into my family home.

- He's the fucking Goblin King ffs, a creature who I both loved and feared for many years of my childhood.

- One of my eariest memories of feeling genuinely moved by a live music performance was watching Bowie's performances at the Freddie Mercury Trubute concert in '92 (with Annie Lennox incidentally dressed up as Pris from Blade Runner for some reason).

- The highlight of Kurt Cobain's last album released in the year he took his life was an early Bowie masterpiece, and it was during my Nirvana-obsessed period (which all 14-16 year olds in the Western world from Generation X onward must traverse, as a rite of passage) that I really began plunging deep into Bowie's back catalogue.

- A film that well & truly blitzed my tiny adolescent mind wide open, David Lynch's Lost Highway, begins and ends with an odd little obscure gem of a Bowie track, from his supposed 'shit period':

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/NI61MEUT_ak" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/NI61MEUT_ak</a>

^ All that before I'd even properly, seriously 'got into' his music as a curious mid-teen. And that's not even to mention Merry Christmas, Mr Lawrence, all those strikingly strange music videos, the classic-TV 'Little Drummer Boy' duet with Bing... all of this would've stealthily seeped in to my mindscape long before I gave Low my first full listen.

Influential isn't the word. Don't mean to gush like, but there it is.

I very much doubt I'll be able to stop crying the day he does leave us all permanently, so I'm totally appreciating these moments and buzzing for the new album, as well as hoping it all means he's over any mere-mortal health scares for a good while yet, if not forever.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #211 on: January 12, 2013, 08:48:08 am »
I've been battering his back catalogue all week. I'm hard pressed - right now - to think of a finer song than 'Sound & Vision' it just captures the wonder of music, the wonder of Bowie, perfectly.

Offline DanJay87

• Legacy Fan
  • Gosh it's Tosh!
« Reply #212 on: January 12, 2013, 10:04:19 am »
Sound and Vision has been doing the rounds all week on my ipod too.

Something magical about it, indescribable

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #213 on: January 12, 2013, 02:35:24 pm »
What I think I love most about 'Sound & Vision' (apart from it just being a boss track anyway, whatever the meaning of it might be) is that it's a great song created out of and inspired by... wait for it... Bowie's lack of inspiration, and his difficulties in creating great songs! In other words, an inspired work about the process of seeking inspiration itself; sort of like a great novel about writer's block. Very clever, very meta - ahead of its time in a lot of ways.

The fact that the whole album is absolutely phenomenal, genuinely groundbreaking and choc full of ideas, only makes its message comes across even stronger; a quite humble account of just patiently waiting for that gift to be bestowed upon him, that it's something he channels rather than contrives. He's merely a conduit for this gift we can all share in. Loads of artists I respect have said much the same about their best work; that it just seemed to flow into them from somewhere mysterious, that they weren't in full conscious control of the process. Very deep, meditative stuff.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline MichaelA

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #214 on: January 12, 2013, 09:35:37 pm »
I buy the mental block thing - definitely a plea for musical inspiration.

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #215 on: January 12, 2013, 10:26:38 pm »
I've been battering his back catalogue all week. I'm hard pressed - right now - to think of a finer song than 'Sound & Vision' it just captures the wonder of music, the wonder of Bowie, perfectly.

It's great, but the competition on that album is intense, none more so than 'always crashing in the same car'. And then just when you are picking yourself up off the floor after that, side two envelops and enfolds and entrances you and you can't remember what else you had to do that evening.

One of the greatest musical experiences available, imo
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #216 on: January 12, 2013, 10:30:50 pm »
Spent a superb hour listening to 'Station to Station' this evening.

'Stay' and 'Word on a Wing' are just the definition of sublimity 

Offline thekremlin

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • nothing like a nice cup of tea
« Reply #217 on: January 12, 2013, 11:56:07 pm »

See this irritates me. He HAS made a few decent albums since 1980. Buddha of Suburbia, Hours and Heathen for a start. Have you heard these? Not to mention tracks like Hello Spaceboy, Little Wonder, I'm Afraid of Americans, The Lonely Guy... even Let's Dance, China Girl and Loving The Alien were good songs. If you have seriously given time to his post 1980 albums and think none of them are decent, you have cloth ears.

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #218 on: January 13, 2013, 12:00:28 am »
See this irritates me. He HAS made a few decent albums since 1980. Buddha of Suburbia, Hours and Heathen for a start. Have you heard these? Not to mention tracks like Hello Spaceboy, Little Wonder, I'm Afraid of Americans, The Lonely Guy... even Let's Dance, China Girl and Loving The Alien were good songs. If you have seriously given time to his post 1980 albums and think none of them are decent, you have cloth ears.

In my opinion after Scary Monsters Bowie stopped setting trends and started following trends. I've heard everything he has recorded and nothing after Scary Monsters can hold a candle to what came before it.

Offline flw

• Famous Last Words
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • History is made so we never forget
« Reply #219 on: January 13, 2013, 02:44:46 am »
Still think he s  great. Looking forward to his new album. At 66 he can still put a song across , sadly there are a few of his generation who cant any longer.
If you have faith, you have everything.
Without it  , you have nothing.

If you are blind, you cannot see, If you are deaf you cannot hear, but if you are dumb God help you

We are like grains of sand, one amongst millions ,  and like sand ...when you walk this earth we leave behind out footprints

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #220 on: January 13, 2013, 03:21:56 am »

The Hearts Filthy Lesson is wonderful, too.
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline gritsvanilla

• Legacy Fan
  • A Light Souffle With Razor Blades
« Reply #221 on: January 13, 2013, 03:57:46 am »
Still think he s  great. Looking forward to his new album. At 66 he can still put a song across , sadly there are a few of his generation who cant any longer.

But Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Scott Walker and Donald Fagen have all released decent albums over the last couple of years.

Sadly i agree with XaviDub, post Scary Monsters has been a bit shit, i hate Let's Dance as it's basically a Duran Duran album in all but name, so flaccid, so utterly vacuous, i tried Hours and Heathen and was bored rigid and his new single leaves me cold too, it's just so safe, so predictable, a nothing of a tune that would collapse under a mild breeze, still he's 66 and has health problems so it's understandable.

Offline Saul Goodman

• Superfluous apostrophe's are us
  • Legacy Fan
  • Better call Saul!
    • Better Call Saul.
« Reply #222 on: February 26, 2013, 11:18:44 am »
Another new song.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/gH7dMBcg-gE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/gH7dMBcg-gE</a>

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: February 26, 2013, 11:48:32 am »
Awesome.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Armchair expert

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: February 26, 2013, 09:57:42 pm »

With the list you have just given me I rest my case.

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #225 on: February 27, 2013, 01:57:45 am »
Another new song.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/gH7dMBcg-gE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/gH7dMBcg-gE</a>

Considering who's in my avatar, you KNOW I'm over the moon about this video!! :)
Oh, these sour times.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: February 27, 2013, 09:12:37 am »
I'm loving the new track, and the wonderfully kooky video.

Offline Armchair expert

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: February 27, 2013, 11:27:31 am »
When I saw it was called the Stars Are Out onight I thought he'd ripped off Gary Barlow for a minute....

Offline Saul Goodman

• Superfluous apostrophe's are us
  • Legacy Fan
  • Better call Saul!
    • Better Call Saul.
« Reply #228 on: March 1, 2013, 01:16:39 pm »
Whole of the new album is available online in certain places this morning.

Offline Madvillain

• Kemlynite
  • Don't get snuffed with the key to the cuffs...
« Reply #229 on: March 1, 2013, 04:55:22 pm »
I'm half way through The Next Day. It's spectacular so far.

Offline El_Macca_17

• Legacy Fan
  • Out here on the perimeter there are no stars.
« Reply #230 on: March 2, 2013, 02:48:29 pm »
Whole of the new album is available online in certain places this morning.

iTunes being one of them.
"The future's uncertain and the end is always near."

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #231 on: March 2, 2013, 03:19:11 pm »
Beck Reimagines David Bowie's "Sound and Vision" I'm usually nonplussed by most covers, but I can't deny that Beck and a 160-piece orchestra have done something quite interesting with this one.
Oh, these sour times.

Offline Lucas21

• A Better Future
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Half of Everything is Luck
« Reply #232 on: March 5, 2013, 10:44:04 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pp7nDmb5K4&hd=1

Just saw this ad on tonight. It's the Sony Xperia "Sound and Vision" remix. Sounds amazing

Offline Mal

• adjusted. The Preston Heston is Aylesbury Ducked. Accepts rubbers from any Dick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: March 7, 2013, 09:04:26 pm »
I'm on as big a back catalogue re-listen as I've ever had...

Easy to forget just how immense he is. On the way home from Germany today I listened to Heroes, Hunky Dory, The man who sold the world and the rise & fall of Ziggy Stardust & the spiders from mars.

It's almost an obsession at the moment...
@ManifoldReasons

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #234 on: March 7, 2013, 10:52:36 pm »
just got a copy of 'The Next Day-deluxe' ...... you know when somebody has 'it'..... just 'it'... well, headphones on... beer at hand.. Fuck yeah... just yeah
i mean, no sound alikes or copying.. just bowie being bowie (i know he's not everyone's cup of tea) but at his age still doing original stuff..
to quote Noel Gallagher... 'he could do gigs of old stuff, but no... the more i hear it the better it gets, to hear his voice singing something new.....

The more you hear 'Where Are We Now?' the better it gets. The video's mad – like his fucking cat directed it."  ;D  noel tongue in cheek..

Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline MichaelA

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #235 on: March 7, 2013, 11:27:24 pm »
Immenseness. Magnitudinal. Giganticity.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: March 8, 2013, 12:27:38 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8k_ObVz6sgM?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/8k_ObVz6sgM?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

'Conversation...'

Offline Mal

• adjusted. The Preston Heston is Aylesbury Ducked. Accepts rubbers from any Dick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: March 8, 2013, 05:52:00 pm »
That's ace Rob.

I love the idea of big Dave the marriage guidance counsellor...
@ManifoldReasons

Offline Mal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: March 10, 2013, 08:39:34 am »
How did Kooks go from being a decent ditty to completely obsessing my brain...?
@ManifoldReasons

Offline Red in Korea

• Claims to be from Korea but we're not convinced...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: March 10, 2013, 09:02:28 am »
Beck Reimagines David Bowie's "Sound and Vision" I'm usually nonplussed by most covers, but I can't deny that Beck and a 160-piece orchestra have done something quite interesting with this one.

That's fantastic.
"What is called for is dignity. We need to set an example." Kenny Dalglish