Author Topic: David Bowie  (Read 37673 times)

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
Re: David Bowie
« Reply #160 on: May 13, 2012, 03:28:16 am »
For the past week, I've been really enjoying Bowie's song Kooks from Hunky Dory. Reminds me of the type of playful and sweet song, McCartney would have probably slipped into one of the Beatles mid-Sixties albums.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Mdr05UVBihY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Mdr05UVBihY</a>

Are there any decent biographies out there about Bowie that anyone can recommend? 

Strange Fascination is a pretty good and extensive Bowie biography that I read a couple of years ago. It pretty much covers everything up to the late 90s. Paul Trynka's Starman is supposed to be pretty good and I plan to try to check it out. I definitely at some point this summer want to read Thomas Seabrook's Bowie in Berlin: A New Career in a New Town, which covers my favourite Bowie period and  Peter Doggett's Man Who Sold the World, which is supposed to be the 70's Bowie equivalent (although not as good) of "Revolution in the Head" by Ian McDonald, which broke down all the Beatles songs. How it differs from Nicholas Pegg's authoritative, Bowie reference book The Complete David Bowie, I have no idea.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 03:35:44 am by rafathegaffa83 »

Offline grifter

• Merderer on the Orient Express. The Brian Sewell of RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Grayson Perry is a talentless attention seeking gobshite. Wolfgang Tillmans is a bell-end. Cy Twombly is a nob-ead.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #162 on: May 13, 2012, 09:54:37 pm »
Been watching some vintage Bowie live performances from the Seventies and this one caught my eye for its odd nature. In January 1976, he performed Stay from Station to Station on Dinah!: a daytime American talkshow, hosted by Dinah Shore which was one of the most popular talkshows of its era. Henry Winkler was also on that particular episode. He spends quite a bit of the time dancing and the performance seems almost unearthly compared to the homeliness quality of the show.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/pFwoUTjT5zk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/pFwoUTjT5zk</a>

The interview is odd, as well. Bowie expresses his admiration for "The Fonz," gets questioned about his ideas of relationships and gets given a karate lesson. Winkler seems rather starstruck as well and keeps interrupting.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Hvftdfvh2w4&amp;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Hvftdfvh2w4&amp;</a>

Interestingly, he turned up on the same show the following year with Iggy Pop to perform "Fun Time" from The Idiot. In the interview for that, Dinah insists on calling Iggy, Jimmy (his real name being James Osterberg)

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #163 on: May 14, 2012, 02:55:58 am »
Really enjoyed that Rafa. Loved the dance moves and that backing band.  Fonzy getting skipped made me chuckle
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline El_Macca_17

• Legacy Fan
  • Out here on the perimeter there are no stars.
« Reply #164 on: May 15, 2012, 10:33:30 pm »
One of the best tracks from my favourite Bowie album that. Been a while since I've watched that performance.
"The future's uncertain and the end is always near."

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #165 on: June 14, 2012, 01:44:21 am »
The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars turns 40 this month. Love the outro of this. The last 90 seconds or so of this are pure magic.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/MC8VE0ToI0g" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/MC8VE0ToI0g</a>

Offline Nin

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: June 14, 2012, 02:17:14 am »
Would any of you hardcore Bowie fans be able to recommend me with some albums of his for me to listen to. I'd say I'm only a casual fan, only really heard his greatest hits but would like to delve a bit deeper. Cheers.

Offline Mr Grieves

• at losing other mr, ending years of Broken Wings encores.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #167 on: June 14, 2012, 03:48:50 pm »
So many quality and diverse albums to choose from.

I'd go for hunky dory or station to station
Put the ball in the goddamn basket chief

Offline Ginamos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: June 14, 2012, 03:53:47 pm »
Would any of you hardcore Bowie fans be able to recommend me with some albums of his for me to listen to. I'd say I'm only a casual fan, only really heard his greatest hits but would like to delve a bit deeper. Cheers.

The Man Who Sold the World (1970)
Hunky Dory (1971)
The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars (1972)
Aladdin Sane (1973)
Diamond Dogs (1974)
Young Americans (1975)
Station to Station (1976)
Low (1977)
Heroes (1977)
Lodger (1979)
Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) (1980)

From 1970-80 he made a succession of brilliant studio albums.

If you've heard a greatest hits, I'd suggest tracking down the albums which have your favourite songs from the compilation. 

Personally, I'd go with Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane, Low, Heroes, but that's too big a list to start with and I just can't make it smaller. :-\

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: June 14, 2012, 03:59:05 pm »
My choices would be his early 70's stuff, Hunky Dory, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and Aladdin Sane. As Mr Grieves said, a very diverse discography and much down to personal choice.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: June 14, 2012, 04:08:17 pm »
Does the cold of deep space make your nipples go pointy, Bowie?

Do you use your pointy nipples as telescopic antennae transmitting data back to Earth?

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #171 on: June 14, 2012, 08:20:34 pm »
The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars turns 40 this month. Love the outro of this. The last 90 seconds or so of this are pure magic.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/MC8VE0ToI0g" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/MC8VE0ToI0g</a>
Thank's Rafa for reminding me of my age. ;D

That was the first album I bought,I was 12.Still one of my favourite album's.In a decade when some of the best music ever was made, this is in my top ten album's of the 70s.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #172 on: June 15, 2012, 11:53:07 pm »

From Man Who Sold The World to Scary Monsters... And Super Creeps ranges from good to immaculate.

If you like Britpop (Oasis/Blur/Pulp): Man Who Sold The World, Hunky Dory, Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane (like Ziggy, but with more avant-garde touches), Diamond Dogs

If you like soul: Young Americans/Station to Station (although it has more funk elements)

If you like Radiohead's Kid A or Joy Division (Low, Heroes, Lodger, Scary Monsters...And Super Creeps)

Personally I'd rank my preferences as:

1. Low
2. Heroes
3. Aladdin Sane
4. Station to Station
5. Tie: Diamond Dogs and Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust

Offline Nin

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: June 16, 2012, 01:21:42 am »
Thank you all for the suggestions.Appreciated. I've heard a lot about 'Low'- so will probably give that a listen first. :wave

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: June 16, 2012, 05:10:22 am »
The Man Who Sold the World (1970)
Hunky Dory (1971)
The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars (1972)
Aladdin Sane (1973)
Diamond Dogs (1974)
Young Americans (1975)
Station to Station (1976)
Low (1977)
Heroes (1977)
Lodger (1979)
Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) (1980)

From 1970-80 he made a succession of brilliant studio albums.

If you've heard a greatest hits, I'd suggest tracking down the albums which have your favourite songs from the compilation. 

Personally, I'd go with Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane, Low, Heroes, but that's too big a list to start with and I just can't make it smaller. :-\

I can remember buying every single one of those, and the circumstances, and that was in the 80s, so I was a youngster myself. I still have them all, they are superb, but thanks for listing them like that, I can even remember nights when I just did not go to sleep, just put one after another on the record player. Space Oddity should be on there, and I like the early stuff now, much more than I used to, but that is a superb wonderful list.
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #175 on: June 22, 2012, 10:12:37 pm »
BBC Four just beginning 3.5 hours of Bowie, beginning with an hour of his best clips from the BBC, then the Ziggy concert film, and then Bowie live at the beeb.

Public service broadcasting at its best.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #176 on: June 22, 2012, 10:27:41 pm »
I can remember buying every single one of those, and the circumstances, and that was in the 80s, so I was a youngster myself. I still have them all, they are superb, but thanks for listing them like that, I can even remember nights when I just did not go to sleep, just put one after another on the record player. Space Oddity should be on there, and I like the early stuff now, much more than I used to, but that is a superb wonderful list.

Space Oddity is a tremendous album. I listened to it over and over again on headphones while reading the Titus Groan trilogy.

Watching the Bowie highlights in the Beeb while typing this - genius.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #177 on: June 22, 2012, 11:55:55 pm »
Time - He flexes like a whore, falls wanking to the floor.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #178 on: June 23, 2012, 12:09:38 am »
I'm having multiple orgasms watching this, just like all the kids in the crowd (say that quietly) ;D

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #179 on: June 23, 2012, 12:11:49 am »
Time - He flexes like a whore, falls wanking to the floor.

Great track. Lady Grinning Soul is another brilliant and woefully underrated track on that album.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #180 on: June 23, 2012, 12:13:15 am »
Not one he wrote but his version of In Amsterdam is great, there is a cd of his Bbc recordings from his early days well worth getting.

Saw him at the NEC on what turned out to be his last tour so far, brilliant one of the best gigs I have ever been to .
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 12:20:52 am by geoffstrong »
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: June 23, 2012, 11:34:55 am »
BBC Four just beginning 3.5 hours of Bowie, beginning with an hour of his best clips from the BBC, then the Ziggy concert film, and then Bowie live at the beeb.

Public service broadcasting at its best.

Watched the documentary "David Bowie and the story of Ziggy Stardust" brilliant from the BBC, available on iplayer:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01k0y0n/David_Bowie_and_the_Story_of_Ziggy_Stardust/

A great reminder of the genius Bowie, absolute legend.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/e5rjNY8dMzc?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/e5rjNY8dMzc?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/v--IqqusnNQ?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/v--IqqusnNQ?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB</a>

« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 03:06:49 pm by Yosser0_0 »
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #182 on: June 23, 2012, 02:08:08 pm »
I love BBC Four.

Christ, he had fabulous thighs.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #183 on: June 23, 2012, 02:09:14 pm »
I love BBC Four.

Females find men's thighs attractive?

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: June 23, 2012, 03:06:05 pm »
I love BBC Four.

Agreed  ;)
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #185 on: June 23, 2012, 07:31:44 pm »
His near absence from the public eye is quite curious. I once read some scurrilous gossip about an unnamed rock star who allegedly had early onset dementia. I wonder. I hope not, but I do wonder if it's Davey Jones.

Online FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #186 on: June 23, 2012, 10:08:39 pm »
Not a 'fan' of Bowie..despite being ripe for fanship by age..but I tell you this when Mick Ronson shashayed up to him on that infamous TOTP Starman performance....it had immense sexual potency..and that has nothing to do with sexual prefrences..it was a momentus!..great rock'n'roll , which shows up the impotent posturing of todays rap/hiphop/rock scence

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: June 23, 2012, 10:13:02 pm »
Watched his 'A reality tour - live in Dublin' on dvd a while back. Quality

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #188 on: January 8, 2013, 07:06:03 am »
His near absence from the public eye is quite curious. I once read some scurrilous gossip about an unnamed rock star who allegedly had early onset dementia. I wonder. I hope not, but I do wonder if it's Davey Jones.

NEW SINGLE! NEW ALBUM! GET THE FUCK IN! ;D

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: January 8, 2013, 07:06:53 am »
Love Bowie.  Think he's fantastic. 
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline MichaelA

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #190 on: January 8, 2013, 08:58:23 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/FOyDTy9DtHQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/FOyDTy9DtHQ</a>

I'm actually starting to hyperventilate a little bit. It's not a good look for a man in his forties. ;D

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: January 8, 2013, 09:29:47 am »
Wow a decade since his last single, I like it. He looks very short in that video – is that what age does to you?  ;D

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: January 8, 2013, 09:44:06 am »
Ohmygodohmygodohmygod!
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #193 on: January 8, 2013, 09:59:36 am »
Females find men's thighs attractive?

Unlucky, chicken legs.

Kind regards,

Roberto Carlos

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #194 on: January 8, 2013, 10:00:14 am »
Lock him in for Glasto then.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #195 on: January 8, 2013, 10:49:58 am »
WOW!

Song sounds amazing.

Don't see him touring as Boyle couldn't persuade him for Olympics. You never know though.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: January 8, 2013, 12:06:06 pm »
Wasn't there a problem with Bowie getting insurance which meant he couldn't tour ?  Sure I read something like that, then again I could be wrong.

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #197 on: January 8, 2013, 01:54:52 pm »
I keep coming back to this to catch another listen, really feeling it. Makes me reflect on certain places, people, times.

gwed Bowie lad

Offline DanJay87

• Legacy Fan
  • Gosh it's Tosh!
« Reply #198 on: January 8, 2013, 02:35:44 pm »
new single really is the cats whiskers

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #199 on: January 8, 2013, 07:57:03 pm »
What a lovely track. That' another album to look forward to in 2013!