Author Topic: Rome  (Read 17499 times)

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
Re: Anyone been to Rome?
« Reply #80 on: July 10, 2010, 11:25:58 am »
Pompeii is the tourist trap but I've always preferred Herculaneum after I went there as it's better preserved than it's neighbour, especially the fresco. It's generally a bit cooler there too.

Bah, I'm jealous either way.

Wondered how long it would be till you found this thread :P
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: July 10, 2010, 12:24:56 pm »
Pompeii is the tourist trap but I've always preferred Herculaneum after I went there as it's better preserved than it's neighbour, especially the fresco. It's generally a bit cooler there too.

Absolutely correct.  A nice little boat ride out to Capri is also worth the time, Sorrento is very pleasant, and the road out to Amalfi is well worth the time.  Visiting Naples from the water is the best way to arrive as well.

Agree with the poster who said the Vatican is worth a visit, loved it myself and I'm not religious at all.

Rome is a fantastic city, if I left London, I'd live there in a heartbeat.

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2010, 01:24:54 pm »
Been many times. Next year, I am leading a school trip of 40 girls to Rome and Pompeii, which I'm looking forward to a lot. Anyway, near St paul's Basilica, just outside the city walls, is the most fantasic little tratoria I have ever been to. I will get the address and PM it to you. Best city on earth IMO, have a fantastic time.

SPQR

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2010, 03:30:17 pm »
Rome is the greatest city on earth. Fact.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2010, 05:16:29 pm »
Rome is the second greatest city on earth after Liverpool. Fact.

Fixed.

Anyway, near St paul's Basilica, just outside the city walls, is the most fantasic little tratoria I have ever been to.

I think I know the one you mean. If It's not the same one, there is one sort of on a back street near to the exit of the Vatican Museum. Also, stick to authentic italian trattorias if you can. try to avoid international cuisine. Strangely enough, Chinese and Indian night transfer well to England, but I don't think they travel well to other parts of the globe. I have never had a decent one anywhere else in the world, including Rome. the worst (and most fucking expensive) Chinese restaurant I've ever been in.

And although i'm not in the slightest bit religious, make a point in going in to some of the churches other than the mani ones by the Vatican. Fuck me, there are all sorts of incredible paintings and sculptures in even the tiniest churches. I'm sure they have different maps of all the artists. i seem to remember having a Caravaggio map

here's a decent site too - http://www.romaclick.com/Pages/Rome/Tosee/Rome-guide-caravaggio.htm

And i know this is just general tourist stuff, but do not give to the beggars. As soon as you make motion to give them anything, they'll pour over you in the hundreds and literally leave you standing there in your bills. Robbing twats. The Spanish Steps and Via Cavour is absolutely swarming with them. And finally from me, might be trite to some, but in my experience, the Trevi Fountain at night is one of the most gorgeous sights, smells and sounds in the world. Ity's not just the fountain itself or the sound of the water, it's the locals milling round chattering away, playing guitars etc. Breathtaking stuff if you like that sort of thing.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2010, 06:02:08 pm »
Been there twice in 77 and 84 for some reason.   ;)
I also went to Lisbon and Dusseldorf as well and I didn't go alone either. :)
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: July 11, 2010, 01:54:33 pm »
Absolutely correct.  A nice little boat ride out to Capri is also worth the time, Sorrento is very pleasant, and the road out to Amalfi is well worth the time.  Visiting Naples from the water is the best way to arrive as well.

I did Amalfi by boat once. Also a great way to go. Capri is lovely but you have to be up early to get the boat from Sorrento and I found it quite expensive once on Capri.

Offline The Scouseologist

• Weak-bladdered, ultimately repentant pie-hog
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JUSTICE
« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2010, 06:11:17 pm »
I am off to Sorrento early hours of the morning, looking forward to it. Hope its as good as people tell me!!
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum europe vincendarum

Offline will2003

• Legacy Fan
  • God and a Legend
« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2010, 08:30:41 pm »
Our favorite place in Rome is Cavour 313 its near the Colleseum (http://www.cavour313.it/) (http://www.fodors.com/world/europe/italy/rome/review-52729.html) and theres a great resturant near Castel Sant'Angelo recomended for cheap butproper good italian food (the locals use it)  called 'Da Romolo alla Mole Adriana' on the corner of Via di Porta Castello (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=da%20romolo%20alla%20mole%20adriana&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl).

Not sure if he's still there, but go to the Aldrovandi Palace hotel , theres a park near ,villa borghese worth checking out too, and see Valerio (unforunately he's a Chelsea supporter) but apprently he grew up with Aqualani and told us he was signing before the deal was done, he also makes good cocktails.

Don't get taken in by the guided tours at the Colleseum either its cheap if you go in to the actual site and you get access Pallentine Hill included. You can get into the Pallentine hill from the forum for free tho.

Have a great time its my favorite city! And don't got to the top of the Vatican as its hot and crowded save that for another trip when its cooler.
"We gave the fans their pride - again. We fought for the fans, we fought for the club and we fought for our players." - Legend

Offline will2003

• Legacy Fan
  • God and a Legend
« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2010, 08:31:13 pm »
I am off to Sorrento early hours of the morning, looking forward to it. Hope its as good as people tell me!!

Its amazing do a tour around carpi!
"We gave the fans their pride - again. We fought for the fans, we fought for the club and we fought for our players." - Legend

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: July 15, 2010, 08:32:41 pm »
36C in Rome today!

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: July 15, 2010, 08:34:12 pm »
Been many times. Next year, I am leading a school trip of 40 girls to Rome and Pompeii, which I'm looking forward to a lot.

Hmmm, I bet you are. ::)

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #92 on: July 15, 2010, 09:20:03 pm »
I think I know the one you mean. If It's not the same one, there is one sort of on a back street near to the exit of the Vatican Museum.

St Paul's, not St Peter's! Nowhere near there!
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: July 15, 2010, 09:25:11 pm »

We're going to both. The itinerary is two nights in Rome, visiting the Forum, Pantheon, Colosseum, Vatican, Spanish Steps and Piazza Navona. Then travel by coach to Sorrento, stopping off at Montecasseno. Stay in Sorrento for 3 nights, with half day visits to Naples (archeological museum), Pompeii, Herculaneum and Vesuvius itself.

We are booked into a really shitty looking hotel in Rome, but the Sorrento one checks out well on Tripadvisor. I am really looking forward to the whole thing, but really nervous, as i have never organised a school trip myself before, let alone a foregin visit.

Hmmm, I bet you are. ::)

Perv.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #94 on: July 15, 2010, 09:28:14 pm »
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline AdamR

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: July 15, 2010, 09:41:56 pm »
went in november and stayed in the st regis grand

fantastic city

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: July 15, 2010, 09:58:47 pm »
We're going to both. The itinerary is two nights in Rome, visiting the Forum, Pantheon, Colosseum, Vatican, Spanish Steps and Piazza Navona. Then travel by coach to Sorrento, stopping off at Montecasseno. Stay in Sorrento for 3 nights, with half day visits to Naples (archeological museum), Pompeii, Herculaneum and Vesuvius itself.

We are booked into a really shitty looking hotel in Rome, but the Sorrento one checks out well on Tripadvisor. I am really looking forward to the whole thing, but really nervous, as i have never organised a school trip myself before, let alone a foregin visit.

Need any additional adult supervision? I'll pay my own way!

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: July 15, 2010, 10:14:41 pm »
Need any additional adult supervision? I'll pay my own way!

Not allowed, I'm afraid! I've already asked if my missus could come, but we can only take teachers from the school.

Offline The Scouseologist

• Weak-bladdered, ultimately repentant pie-hog
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JUSTICE
« Reply #98 on: July 24, 2010, 09:51:40 am »
Its amazing do a tour around carpi!

Yeah we hired a capri boat and went around ourselves. Was fantastic. Pompeii and Herculeaneum both fantastic too.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum europe vincendarum

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
Hotels in Rome
« Reply #99 on: May 21, 2011, 08:13:09 pm »
Can anyone recommend a decent hotel for a family stay in Rome?

Offline Mal

• adjusted. The Preston Heston is Aylesbury Ducked. Accepts rubbers from any Dick.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Hotels in Rome
« Reply #100 on: May 23, 2011, 11:27:44 am »
Going here in July - http://www.hotelgiolli.it/en/index.php

And here in September with work... http://pacelvezia.hotelinroma.com/

Haven't been to either yet so can't give any recommendations but thought it might help a bit :wave
@ManifoldReasons

Offline dioufythebrave

• but Dim.
  • Kopite
« Reply #101 on: May 23, 2011, 10:43:09 pm »
i stayed in hotel milani, really close to the train station, and a bus tour starting point, its a 3 star, and a clean decent, not over spectacular hotel
was cheap enough as far as i remember,  walking distance to alot of the tourist spots too.
if you wanna be the best you gotta beat the best

I'll make two predictions of this...Carroll won't score 3 PL goals total for the rest of the year and we won't score 5 against any team all year.  We might still get CL football without either happening.

Offline Chaztastic

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: May 24, 2011, 10:20:26 am »
Went to Rome about 11 years ago and wished I'd read That Awful Mess on the Via Merulana by Carlo Emilio Gadda beforehand.

Yes, our hotel was on the Via Merulana. (Actually, it was fine as a base for walking to all the major sights.)

Offline pw1008

• Kopite
« Reply #103 on: May 24, 2011, 02:36:11 pm »
I havent been but know a few of my family stayed at The Duke hotel in Rome. I think it was 4* but a little out of the centre but not too far, nearer to the Vatican than the Coliseum end of Rome if that make sense.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: May 24, 2011, 05:27:16 pm »
Recently led a school party of 40 girls, three women and me to Rome and we stayed in a good, clean, basic hotel called Hotel California in Via Principe Amedeo near Termini. We had absolutely no complaints about the accommodation (which is a miracle with all those females!) but the breakfast was mediocre.

Offline call me red

• Main Stander
« Reply #105 on: May 24, 2011, 09:34:13 pm »
Can anyone recommend a decent hotel for a family stay in Rome?
Try a hotel called Barretts hotel central and reasonable price we liked it

Online rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
Rome
« Reply #106 on: August 15, 2011, 01:13:00 pm »
Anyone been?

Lookin to go out there for a break. Anyone suggest hotels, areas, restaurants etc?

Would be much appreciated, ta
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline RedRabbit

• Rampant but without the batteries.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
Re: Rome
« Reply #107 on: August 15, 2011, 01:24:44 pm »
Went there about 4 years ago for a wedding. One of the best breaks I've ever been on. The food, the beer, the history, the women....oh my God! the women!!. We rented apartments for 5 days as we could share the cost and it gave a better 'feeling' of going home in the evening. I hate hotels myself. I'll ask the name of the company we hired from and get back to you, it might be the way to go depending on duration and numbers.

Restaurants are varied as with all cities but even the smaller ones in the centre are good value. Most have price lists up outside on the wall and Italian food is Italian food! It's probably better to stay away from restaurants located right next to some of the tourist sites, but with an apartment you don't have to eat every meal out. Go to all the sites btw. They will blow you away. Stunning city.

Online rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: August 15, 2011, 01:46:55 pm »
Went there about 4 years ago for a wedding. One of the best breaks I've ever been on. The food, the beer, the history, the women....oh my God! the women!!. We rented apartments for 5 days as we could share the cost and it gave a better 'feeling' of going home in the evening. I hate hotels myself. I'll ask the name of the company we hired from and get back to you, it might be the way to go depending on duration and numbers.

Restaurants are varied as with all cities but even the smaller ones in the centre are good value. Most have price lists up outside on the wall and Italian food is Italian food! It's probably better to stay away from restaurants located right next to some of the tourist sites, but with an apartment you don't have to eat every meal out. Go to all the sites btw. They will blow you away. Stunning city.

Nice one mate. Just goin with the mrs

Was also wandering about getting around, dont wanna hire a car taxis expensive? tour busses an option?

Thanks again

Jurgen Klopp

Offline RedRabbit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
« Reply #109 on: August 15, 2011, 02:07:24 pm »
Nice one mate. Just goin with the mrs

You're probably better off with a hotel then. Can't help there I'm afraid.

Was also wandering about getting around, dont wanna hire a car taxis expensive? tour busses an option?

The best way to get around is walking. Nearly everything worth seeing, (The Trevi Fountain, the Coliseum, the Vatican, the Pantheon, the Forum) are all close to eachother because they would have been contained within walls hundreds of years ago. The walk from the Vatican to the Coliseum for example shouldn't take more than 25/30 mins and goes through some beautiful piazzas. The Coliseum to the Trevi or Partheon would be less iirc. Taxis are knocking around but I only used them when a bit drunk and there are buses (tiny ones) that service all parts of the city. But, again, I think the best way to experience Rome is to walk through it.

BTW, if you're planning to see the Vatican make sure your wife covers her shoulders and wears something that goes below her knees. They will make her wear stupid papery things to cover up anything they don't like on show. Something all the women in our party were very angry about, but it is their country.

Tour buses to other areas around Rome are available on a dialy basis. We went to see Pompeii one day on a bus that left in the morning from close to the Coliseum, I think. The tourist information office will help you there. If your planning to stay in the city don't bother with a car, the drivers are mental, it's not just a cliche. If your planning on visting sites outside there are plenty of day trips available.

If you plan to go, enjoy mate. It's like no city I've ever been in. Weather permitting.  :wave

Offline RedRabbit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
« Reply #110 on: August 15, 2011, 02:09:05 pm »
Are the men really that great? (in the words of Babel.... no homo)

Unfortunately, yes. They seem to take great pride in their apperance. We felt like slobs walking around in shorts and cheap T-shirts. But, to hell with them, the women make up for it.  ;)

Online rushyman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: August 15, 2011, 02:13:33 pm »
You're probably better off with a hotel then. Can't help there I'm afraid.

The best way to get around is walking. Nearly everything worth seeing, (The Trevi Fountain, the Coliseum, the Vatican, the Pantheon, the Forum) are all close to eachother because they would have been contained within walls hundreds of years ago. The walk from the Vatican to the Coliseum for example shouldn't take more than 25/30 mins and goes through some beautiful piazzas. The Coliseum to the Trevi or Partheon would be less iirc. Taxis are knocking around but I only used them when a bit drunk and there are buses (tiny ones) that service all parts of the city. But, again, I think the best way to experience Rome is to walk through it.

BTW, if you're planning to see the Vatican make sure your wife covers her shoulders and wears something that goes below her knees. They will make her wear stupid papery things to cover up anything they don't like on show. Something all the women in our party were very angry about, but it is their country.

Tour buses to other areas around Rome are available on a dialy basis. We went to see Pompeii one day on a bus that left in the morning from close to the Coliseum, I think. The tourist information office will help you there. If your planning to stay in the city don't bother with a car, the drivers are mental, it's not just a cliche. If your planning on visting sites outside there are plenty of day trips available.

If you plan to go, enjoy mate. It's like no city I've ever been in. Weather permitting.  :wave

really great of you RR.

Thanks mate

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #112 on: August 15, 2011, 02:33:46 pm »
RR is correct, I was there for nearly a month Summer of 2007 and Walking was ideal, they also have a nice little train/bus system you can buy a month or week long pass for it pretty cheap. While walking be sure to bring a water bottle, there are free flowing water foutians every few blocks so you can refill yours from them (the locals do). I stayed at the Domus Tiberia hotel near the island.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #113 on: August 15, 2011, 03:15:57 pm »
Been many times and I was there again for one night last month - stayed here:

http://www.morganaroyalcourt.com/

Pretty handy for most things. We walked everywhere, even with kids. It's one of the finest cities on the planet. Enjoy your trip!

Online rushyman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: August 15, 2011, 03:27:17 pm »
Thanks Michael. Dont know why it didnt occur to me to search this time

Jurgen Klopp

Offline JRC_

• Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
« Reply #115 on: January 4, 2017, 02:01:22 pm »
Looking to go in March for a long weekend, any recommendations on what to do and where to stay?

Offline the good half

• these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this half of mine
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: January 4, 2017, 02:03:11 pm »
When in Rome.

PM me if you need specific ideas, but there is too much to do and see in one weekend.
What would yo ulike to do?

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: January 4, 2017, 02:17:53 pm »
Just got back from my 14th visit. Best place on earth.

Offline the good half

• these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this half of mine
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: January 4, 2017, 02:21:54 pm »
Where do you go for a drink/dinner Imerpator.
I got married in Rome in August in fact.

Offline JRC_

• Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
« Reply #119 on: January 4, 2017, 02:26:24 pm »
Will be going with a girl, hoping to go a watch a Roma match. A bit of sightseeing, decent area to go in the evening for some food and a few drinks.

Just anything you'd recommended specifically during a short visit

Nice one guys