Author Topic: NBA Discussion  (Read 612129 times)

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: NBA Season 2016-17 Discussion
« Reply #2960 on: May 29, 2017, 03:03:08 pm »
Mateship in 5.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #2961 on: May 29, 2017, 08:08:52 pm »

I am genuinely sorry that I ever questioned your prediction and labeling of the Warriors as chokers, and your all knowing might when describing the Warriors' offense as a 'two man force'. I won't be making that mistake again  :)

Now that's more like it, apology accepted! ;D
In a more serious note, I owe you an apology, I should have phrased my comments better. :wave

I blame the NBA for the long wait between the series, bring on the Finals and let's let the players speak for themselves on the court.
Mind, I've still got the Cavs as my pick, and note more than 6 games, though my prediction is 4-1.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #2962 on: May 30, 2017, 01:23:44 am »
Ive a feeling this cud be epic af. I'm preprepared to be wrong tho knowing nothing of basketball :D 

GSW 4-3 buzzer beater.... Curry
YNWA

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2963 on: June 2, 2017, 12:04:11 am »
Finally, Game 1 of the NBA Finals is here.
Interesting stat I heard (not sure if it's true though), Lebron has lost every Game 1 he's played in an NBA Finals.
Here's hoping he bucks the trend today.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #2964 on: June 2, 2017, 01:08:36 am »
Pulling for LeBron but be shocked if they manage to take more than a couple of games of GSW

Online Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2965 on: June 2, 2017, 01:37:39 am »
I have Warriors in 7. I don't really have a personal preference towards either team, probably pulling for Lebron a bit.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2966 on: June 2, 2017, 02:10:50 am »
Finally, it's on !!

Online Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2967 on: June 2, 2017, 02:19:13 am »
The whole travelling violation thing is a pisstake. Lebron clearly taking 3 steps after gathering the ball twice on back to back possession.

Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2968 on: June 2, 2017, 02:38:26 am »
Explosive first quarter, the 4 MVPs have all turned up. An exhibition of skill and power.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #2969 on: June 2, 2017, 02:45:52 am »

Mashing the button by both teams, this is a DUNKFEST!

Online amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2970 on: June 2, 2017, 02:46:03 am »
Real high quality already.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2971 on: June 2, 2017, 03:06:20 am »
Jeez. These warriors. Cavs need Love and Thompson to be beasts right now.

Online Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2972 on: June 2, 2017, 03:21:04 am »
Nothing short of a miracle for the Cavs to be within striking distance despite committing 12 TOs to 1 and with Thompson being a non-factor on the boards. On the other hand, the Dubs are up 8 with Klay and Draymond shooting 2/15. So far the rebounding is quite balanced with both attacks taking advantage of the scrambling defences to get loads of offensive boards.

Offline Romeo Sensini

• Legacy Fan
  • Can climb two flights of stairs
« Reply #2973 on: June 2, 2017, 03:24:27 am »
7 TOs for Lebron. Yikes.

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2974 on: June 2, 2017, 06:20:10 am »
20 turnovers vs 4? Especially against such a quick team as the Warriors.
Dunkfest for the ages, felt like an Allstar game at some points.
Lebron's winless run in Game 1s continues.
4-1 for the Cavs!

Offline Greatness

• Spineless and gutless
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2975 on: June 2, 2017, 11:00:05 am »
Those bottlers looked like quite a good team to me last night, especially those two chokers Durant and Curry   ;D
« Last Edit: June 2, 2017, 01:32:15 pm by Greatness »

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2976 on: June 2, 2017, 02:22:53 pm »
One step closer to my 4-0 prediction ;D

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2977 on: June 2, 2017, 02:31:11 pm »
Kevin Durant Willing To Take Less Than Max To Keep Warriors' Core

Andre Iguodala To Receive Interest From Suns, Wolves, Hawks

Knicks Discuss Acquiring First Round Pick From Blazers

NBA Still Not Looking At Expansion Despite New CBA

NBA Continues To Seek Increase Of Age Limit

Isaiah Thomas Won't Make Decision On Surgery For Another Few Weeks

Kings Waive Anthony Tolliver

Bucks Receive Permission To Interview Adam Simon, Pat Garrity

Warriors Could Face $300M In Combined Salary, Tax By 19-20

Adam Silver: LaVar Ball Will 'Settle Down' Once Lonzo Is Drafted

Emeka Okafor Attempting NBA Return After Four Seasons Away

Clippers Interested In Hiring Jerry West

Nick Kerr, son of Steve Kerr, will join the San Antonio Spurs this offseason in a video coordinator role

Danilo Gallinari Declines $16.1M Player Option With Nuggets

Pistons Interested In Trading No. 12 Pick For Established Player

Offline y2w902

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2978 on: June 5, 2017, 03:21:02 am »
No one watching tonight?

KD taking over and Thompson is back.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2979 on: June 5, 2017, 03:30:12 am »
No one watching tonight?

KD taking over and Thompson is back.

It's kinda boring to be honest. Cleveland could still win the next two - but they seem overmatched. Depends on if the League will allow it to only go 5 games though.

Offline Romeo Sensini

• Legacy Fan
  • Can climb two flights of stairs
« Reply #2980 on: June 5, 2017, 03:41:19 am »
Looks like another crap series. Playoffs have been dreadful. Hopefully the Cavs can rummage a win at home.

Offline ElCapo

• Legacy Fan
  • Bayern Munich - Mia San Mia
« Reply #2981 on: June 5, 2017, 03:57:30 am »
It's like Curry and Durant vs Lebron - 2 on 1.  Only one outcome.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2982 on: June 5, 2017, 03:58:36 am »
Enjoyable basketball, not sure why people are complaining, high quality basketball on display in the Finals. Granted the playoffs haven't been as competitive [injuries have prevent that for most teams] but quality basketball in the finals so far.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2983 on: June 5, 2017, 10:09:29 am »
2-0! Two more games to complete the sweep ;)

Glad Curry had that triple double but to be honest he didn't have that great of a game. He had 6 TO's in 1h but thankfully he got better and better in the 2h. I liked how Livingston helped us with some key points. This was only the 2nd game and play-off's begin when an away team steals one. Also let's not forget we were up 3-1 last year. All being said, Durant easily the finals MVP so far and he is doing it all on both offensive and defensive end too. 13 rebounds, 3 steals and 5 blocks, that's Ben Wallace type of numbers  ;)

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2984 on: June 5, 2017, 01:51:28 pm »
Series doesn't start until a team loses on their home floor.
Still plenty of games left. :wave

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2985 on: June 5, 2017, 01:56:32 pm »
Think they are getting swept and golden state will piss next year as well if KD doesn't take the max

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2986 on: June 5, 2017, 02:07:28 pm »
I remember the Knicks leading the Michael Jordan led Bulls 2-0 and heading to Chicago for Game 3.
I spent the next few days visualising how it would feel beating Michael Jordan, finally, with the Knicks.
They ended up winning Game 3+4, stole the momentum, stole Game 5, and Jordan never loses the chance to clinch a series early.

Game 3 is absolutely pivotal.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2987 on: June 5, 2017, 02:48:37 pm »
Think they are getting swept and golden state will piss next year as well if KD doesn't take the max

Yeah reports say he's willing to take the cut.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2988 on: June 5, 2017, 02:57:50 pm »
Last year I was pretty confident after going 2-0 down; even said as much on the thread. This year, I can't see it. It's probably a 5 game series.

The difficulty for me is that there is literally no bad shot for the Warriors. The Cavs can defend brilliantly for 20s but it'll still just come back to two of the top 5 greatest scorers since the merger taking the shot. Only two players in the league can guard Durant, and one of them plays on his team (the other is Giannis - actually, Kawhi too, maybe RoCo). Curry is the greatest shooter of all time, by far, and any shot within 30 feet is a good result for him. On top of that, the Warriors have a historically magnificent offence in terms of creativity, fluidity and ball movement. Their #3 option is the second greatest shooter of all time, they have a fantastic playmaking forward, Javale is a great rim-runner and energy guy, Livingston's midrange game is soul-destroying, and Iggy is the best bench player in the NBA.

I don't think he can or will, but if LeBron beats this team, he is the greatest without question. Even if he doesn't, it's a 1a/1b type thing. His performances in this series have been laudable. I said to friends that this series depends on Kyrie. It's a lot to ask of him, to go blow for blow with Durant and Curry given the Warriors' interior and 3pt D, but that's the level required, and he's not been on it.
« Last Edit: June 5, 2017, 03:00:57 pm by Shaved Crossbar »

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2989 on: June 5, 2017, 09:34:14 pm »
3 of the next 4 games are at Cleveland.
Not sure the white flags should be waving just yet.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2990 on: June 5, 2017, 09:55:41 pm »
Too bad that we will be maxed out, i was thinking maybe we sign Anthony Davis as our big instead of Zaza Pachulia. Seriously though, i wonder what Pau Gasol will ask for this summer.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2991 on: June 5, 2017, 10:09:10 pm »
By the way, just like football, i guess now it's the NBA market but i think Cavs hurt themselves by giving those huge contracts to Tristan, JR Smith. They should go for a player like Gallinari but not sure how, they are already over the tax line. They may need to move Love for a player like Paul George.

But that being said, i don't wrote them off at all, in fact Cavs were in a bigger hole last year. Too many players are playing bad for them at the moment; pretty much all role players like JR, Shumpert, Frye, Korver. They will need these players to have good shooting nights to have a chance.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2992 on: June 5, 2017, 10:13:55 pm »
Rick Carlisle: Rule Changes Changed Culture To Emphasize Skilled Players

Rick Carlisle was asked to theorize why offense has been up around the NBA this season.

The NBA has reached a point where the game has evolved to include more perimeter shooters and a faster pace of play following rule changes.

"My belief is that we've entered a new era of high skill level Sixteen years ago, when I first came into the league, they had just changed the rules," said Carlisle. "You could have two guys guarding a guy that didn't have the ball. You could play zone defense as long as you stayed within the rules, stuff like that.

"And everybody was worried about what was gonna happen to scoring. And the group that put it together, led by Jerry Colangelo, really felt that these rules would increase ball movement and if there was a necessity to move the ball, it would become a greater necessity for all players on the floor to have skill. Otherwise, it would be difficult to hide guys that couldn't shoot.

"And so, initially there were a lot of skeptics that believes, 'Hey, this is gonna bring the game to a screeching halt. There just aren't enough skill guys.'

"But the reason it was done was to change the culture of player development at the grassroots level. And so, the people coaching grade school, middle school, AAU would have to recognize the importance of being able to shoot, being able to get the ball in the basket. And again, there were a lot of people - there was a lot of eye rolling and 'Yea, right! That's gonna change!'

"Well, it's changed. It's taken time, but how many teams have got a guy at the 4 that can't make an outside shot? I'm not necessarily saying a 3, but an outside shot. You look at the teams that can play big. (derrick) Favors makes mid-range shots. Who else? These guys, (Taj) Gibson can shoot mid-range shots. He's taken a few 3s.

"You know, so anyway, I think that's your answer. If you have more skilled guys and there's a big emphasis on the analytics of pace, scoring's gonna go up. Scoring's gonna go up. So, I don't know what you're gonna hear people clamoring for next. But in the end, what you're gonna get, in my estimation - the Finals last year, the deciding game of the Finals was in the high 80s, low 90s. And so, when it counts, and you get in situations where you're at seven games, and there's familiarity, and you've got the best offensive and defensive teams out there, scoring's not gonna be going crazy."

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2993 on: June 5, 2017, 10:15:34 pm »
Adam Silver Believes NBA 'Definitely' Will Have Female Head Coach

Adam Silver told ESPN he believes there will be a female head coach in his league, and he wants it to happen "sooner rather than later."

"There definitely will," Silver said when asked about a woman becoming an NBA head coach. "And I think it is on me to sort of ensure that it happens sooner rather than later."

Silver's interview was promoting the NBA and Leanin.org's launch of a gender equality public awareness campaign.

Silver disputed recent comments made by WFAN radio host Mike Francesa, who sparked controversy when he stated that a woman has no shot at being a head coach of a pro men's team.

"First of all, let me say that I disagree that there will not be a woman head coach in the NBA," Silver said. "It is hard to say exactly when [it will happen]. There are three women currently in the pipeline, and I think like we have seen in all other aspects of life, while there are certain cases for example, the athletes that participate in the NBA, there are obvious physical differences between men and women and those differences are why we have a men's league and a women's league.

"But on the other hand when it comes to coaching, when there is absolutely no physical requirement, when it is not a function of how high you can jump or how strong you are, there is no physical litmus test to being a head coach in the league, there is absolutely no reason why a woman will not ascend to be a head coach in this league. We are very focused in on it."

San Antonio's Becky Hammon and Sacramento's Nancy Lieberman are currently assistant coaches in the NBA. Natalie Nakase also serves as the Clippers' assistant video coordinator with aspirations of becoming an NBA head coach.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2994 on: June 5, 2017, 10:29:21 pm »
News Update..

Jeff Van Gundy: Rule changes have made basketball almost a different sport

Ben Simmons, Joel Embiid Won't Play In Summer League

Jan Vesely Receiving Interest From Nets, 76ers, Mavericks

Ian Clark Could Receive Deal Above Mid-Level Exception

Derek Fisher Flips Car, Arrested For Suspicion Of DUI

LeBron James Not In 'Prove People Wrong Department' Anymore

Maurice Harkless Discussed As Part Of Knicks, Blazers Trade Talks

Knicks Remain Interested In Trading For Ricky Rubio

Jerry Colangelo: People Around Lonzo Ball Present 'Challenge'

Kelly Oubre Undergoes Platelet-Rich Plasma Injections In Right Knee

Dion Waiters To Decline $3.2M Player Option With Heat

Chris Bosh Medically Ruled To Have Career-Ending Illness

Draymond Green: People Will Only Remember Durant Winning With Warriors

Bucks Request Interview With Becky Hammon For GM Job

Steve Ballmer: We've Been Kicking The Lakers' Ass

Online Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2995 on: June 5, 2017, 10:41:22 pm »

I remember Francesa spouting that shit a few months ago, has he been at it again more recently? Then again, I wouldn't expect anything else from a Trump loving blowhard.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2996 on: June 6, 2017, 12:27:21 am »
Too bad that we will be maxed out, i was thinking maybe we sign Anthony Davis as our big instead of Zaza Pachulia. Seriously though, i wonder what Pau Gasol will ask for this summer.

Take him please, we'll give you a sack of potatoes as well. He's got an opt in option with us for 16 mill this year . Hoping he opts out

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2997 on: June 6, 2017, 12:40:30 am »
Take him please, we'll give you a sack of potatoes as well. He's got an opt in option with us for 16 mill this year . Hoping he opts out

Damn, didn't realize he was that expensive. He is definitely opting in. No team is paying anywhere close after seeing his play-off's performance. You are stuck with him unless you manage to move him in a trade.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2998 on: June 6, 2017, 02:52:04 am »
Damn, didn't realize he was that expensive. He is definitely opting in. No team is paying anywhere close after seeing his play-off's performance. You are stuck with him unless you manage to move him in a trade.

He had a good regular season but he was god awful in the playoffs.  I hope we get rid somehow

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2999 on: June 6, 2017, 01:48:16 pm »
He had a good regular season but he was god awful in the playoffs.  I hope we get rid somehow

Will probably have to package in a pick and send him to the Nets if they can't sign a max free agent like KCP or Roberson